PDA

View Full Version : Anelka

RIP Bestie
29-12-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm sick of players who use football as a platform to display their religious, political racist or sexual beliefs. There has been a bit of a crackdown to stop this sort of thing on the terraces (sorry stands) and the threat of harsh sentences for anyone who is found guilty of any such "hate" crimes in society but especially in a football environment. I think it is time that these overpaid "examples to youngsters" should be held accountable for the example that they are promoting,not only on the park but to the millions who are watching them on TV and being punished in the same way as as the ordinary fan. There is absolutely no need for any form of public show of worship to any Religious preference for the act of entering a football pitch or by scoring a goal by anyone. The sooner this nonsense is taken out of the game the better. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but it should be done in private. Too much of it is done purely to entice hatred. I hope the FA UEFA FIFA and the courts throw the book at this bigot Anelka.

Sanger
29-12-2013, 04:41 AM
I'm sick of players who use football as a platform to display their religious, political racist or sexual beliefs. There has been a bit of a crackdown to stop this sort of thing on the terraces (sorry stands) and the threat of harsh sentences for anyone who is found guilty of any such "hate" crimes in society but especially in a football environment. I think it is time that these overpaid "examples to youngsters" should be held accountable for the example that they are promoting,not only on the park but to the millions who are watching them on TV and being punished in the same way as as the ordinary fan. There is absolutely no need for any form of public show of worship to any Religious preference for the act of entering a football pitch or by scoring a goal by anyone. The sooner this nonsense is taken out of the game the better. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but it should be done in private. Too much of it is done purely to entice hatred. I hope the FA UEFA FIFA and the courts throw the book at this bigot Anelka.
Been better if he gave support to the Palestinians rather than a gesture that will be taken as anti-Jewish. But that would be too subtle or intelligent for Anelka. He should take a leaf out of Ronaldo's book

NOLA
29-12-2013, 04:55 AM
and whats he guilty of excactly?? have a word with yourself before posting such pish. he has explained his celebration but you like many have got your yfronts in a twist. to accuse him of being a bigot :rolleyes: smh

macca70
29-12-2013, 08:20 AM
and whats he guilty of excactly?? have a word with yourself before posting such pish. he has explained his celebration but you like many have got your yfronts in a twist. to accuse him of being a bigot :rolleyes: smh

He made this daft Quenelle gesture and already publicly stated that it was done in support of his Comedian Friend Dieudonne.

So he is already fully aware of its meaning, he knows its extremely controversial as its caused big issues in France but he decides to use his goal celebration to gain publicity.

This article explains it:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/wap/Item.aspx?type=0&item=175632

hibsbollah
29-12-2013, 09:05 AM

If it was universally agreed that it was an 'antisemitic' gesture then it would be bigotry. But its not so it isnt.

cocopops1875
29-12-2013, 09:53 AM
If it was universally agreed that it was an 'antisemitic' gesture then it would be bigotry. But its not so it isnt.

This

ScottB
29-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Problem is, the Israelis have moved to the point where opposing Israeli policies is the same as opposing Jews in general.

Anelka was pretty stupid to do something like this that was open to this sort of 'interpretation,' something that was more obviously pro Palestinian would be better, but that assumes it's the cause he's interested in, rather than just supporting his mate.

Speedy
29-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Problem is, the Israelis have moved to the point where opposing Israeli policies is the same as opposing Jews in general.

Anelka was pretty stupid to do something like this that was open to this sort of 'interpretation,' something that was more obviously pro Palestinian would be better, but that assumes it's the cause he's interested in, rather than just supporting his mate.

He may or may not have underlying feelings about it but I genuinely think it's because he wants to support his mate.

If not then why do it now, when his mate is getting grief, rather than x weeks/months ago when he wasn't?

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Dont know the background to this ..... But football players should leave this sort of stuff at home, if Anelka wanted to support his friend he could have made a statement to the press about it, its not like it wouldnt have been published.

If a gesture is seen as anti semitic by Jewish people then thats what it is. Its a bit like the Golliwog argument, to some folk they are harmless dolls which have been around for over a hundred years and they cant see what all the fuss is about. To black people they are a racist patronizing insult which should be conigned to the dustbin of history. A view I happen to agree with.

Mind you. Sometimes things go too far, like calling current buns 'Huns' Thats not bigoted or sectarian as far as I can see, its just an insult based on their habit of behaving like a destructive invading hord wherever they go :greengrin

Vini1875
29-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Don't see what is wrong with players making a show of worship to the religion they believe in. For me people are far too easily offended. Maybe we should all keep our opinions to ourselves and only comment on the weather, or maybe we can grow up and allow people different opinions and beliefs.

whiskyhibby
29-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Completely agree the only thing that the Israelis appear to have learnt from the Nazis is how to ghettoise, persecute and murder a whole race of people, the Palestinians.......

AK86
29-12-2013, 11:03 AM
When is the world going to wake up to the fact that religion is just a big con anyway?

we came from apes, it's been proved a thousand times. Somebody needs to tell them all

delbert
29-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Don't see what is wrong with players making a show of worship to the religion they believe in. For me people are far too easily offended. Maybe we should all keep our opinions to ourselves and only comment on the weather, or maybe we can grow up and allow people different opinions and beliefs.

I honestly can't believe the above statement, bearing in mind we live in one of the most backward 'religious' countries in the world. If we went down this route then next time Rangers and Celtc meet, which will be highly charged anyway, can you imagine what would happen if a catholic Celtc scorer crosses himself in front of the Castle Greyskull faithful? Of course its daft that so many in the West of Scotland and elsewhere in the world want to live in the past, and I have always felt that when you go through to Glasgow you are going 45 miles west and 200 years back in time, but there is no way that we can allow this in Scotland, because we live in an ignorant, bigoted, backward religious cauldon of a country. It's for exactly the same reason that slogans on tee shirts under the strip are banned, it may be an entirely innocent message to some, but to others, however deluded, it could be imflammatory and there have already been cases where messages written in a foreign language in different countries have caused outrage in others, whilst not being picked up at the time. Have to say I think it's about time that all this rubbish was stopped, I'm not remotely interested in any players religious, political or sexual views or preferences, I want the guys in the Hibs team to go out and just win games, nothing else matters, and it would be great if an egotistical halfwit like Annelka was made an example of to stop this sort of nonsense, but I doubt anything will be done when idiots like Sepp 'lets have the lady footballers in nice tight shorts' Blatter is around

Elephant Stone
29-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Sounds like you want players to stop it because it annoys you rather than because it's offensive. There may not be any need for someone to point to the sky after scoring if they believe in God but if it's what they want to do then who are you to say they shouldn't be allowed to do it? Why does it offend you?

hibsdaft
29-12-2013, 11:37 AM

when did you go soft in the head? disappointing.

this is the lie he's fed his manager: ‘He is totally unaware of what the problems were or the speculation that has been thrown around, he is totally surprised by it.’ Anelka is lieing through his teeth and playing his manager - and us all - for fools. he knew exactly what he was doing. anyone Frenchman knows what this Dieudonne ****bag stands for. its in the company he keeps if nothing else: Le Pen and his ilk for starters.

that this is the only expression they use to expouse their sordid little views says it all. no strength of conviction, just hiding behind sneaky insinuations.

in one word: sc*m.

hibsbollah
29-12-2013, 11:50 AM
when did you go soft in the head? disappointing.

this is the lie he's fed his manager: ‘He is totally unaware of what the problems were or the speculation that has been thrown around, he is totally surprised by it.’ Anelka is lieing through his teeth and playing his manager - and us all - for fools. he knew exactly what he was doing. anyone Frenchman knows what this Dieudonne ****bag stands for. its in the company he keeps if nothing else: Le Pen and his ilk for starters.

that this is the only expression they use to expouse their sordid little views says it all. no strength of conviction, just hiding behind sneaky insinuations.

in one word: sc*m.

It sounds like youre jumping to a few conclusions.

whiskyhibby
29-12-2013, 12:02 PM
When is the world going to wake up to the fact that religion is just a big con anyway?

we came from apes, it's been proved a thousand times. Somebody needs to tell them all

Completely agree radical religion of any persuasion is the bane of the world

hibsdaft
29-12-2013, 12:15 PM
It sounds like youre jumping to a few conclusions.

where?

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Tells you something about the modern game doesn't it? Not talking about a great move or goal or fifty consecutive passes, but instead, getting all frothy about something that has absolutely nothing at all to do with football.

Flynn
29-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Completely agree the only thing that the Israelis appear to have learnt from the Nazis is how to ghettoise, persecute and murder a whole race of people, the Palestinians.......

Top marks :aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
29-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Whilst the "corporate takeover" is distasteful to many (I am not overly keen but understand it has it's place) I think the politicisation of football is a slippery slope.
Television places footballers in a unique position - it gives them a platform to exhibit their skills but now we are seeing an increase in messages here and there. Problem is where do you draw the line - the paddy power pants stunt is an obvious one but what of the now other messages we see?
Maybe as long as it's not inciting any form of hatred; a political message or promoting a product then it's ok?
Then we have issues like anti-apartheid where would it fit?
Does Anelka have a twitter account? Surely high profile players like him have enough alternative channels to get his beliefs coverage out there. Is there not also an employment law issue here - imagine the carnage if folks were able to bring t-shirts with their cause slogan and allowed to reveal them at the end of a meeting (joke!) seriously though why should conduct of football players be considered any different from expected behaviours in the workplace like the rest of us?

Sir David Gray
29-12-2013, 12:47 PM
If this gesture had been perceived to be offensive against those from the gay, black or Muslim communities, those defending him would be saying that it doesn't matter if the gesture isn't explicitly offensive, people have taken offence at it so that's enough to make it wrong.

But it gives people a reason to have a go at Israel so I suppose that's alright.

Anelka knew perfectly well what he was doing yesterday, he must be aware of the controversy surrounding that gesture in France and he should be punished.

For those not already aware, here's a bit of information on Anelka's friend and the kind of views he holds.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieudonn%C3%A9_M%27bala_M%27bala

Nice guy...

--------
29-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Tells you something about the modern game doesn't it? Not talking about a great move or goal or fifty consecutive passes, but instead, getting all frothy about something that has absolutely nothing at all to do with football.

Which is why FIFA needs to do something about this sort of "goal celebration".

This gesture is widely used throughout Europe as an anti-Jewish gesture. If I were to stand outside a synagogue as the congregation are coming out making a Nazi salute and shouting "Sieg Heil", i would rightly be charged with breach of the peace at least. (That's if the congregation didn't deal with me first.)

This "quenelle" gesture is used by many people as an anti-Jewish insult, but one with a sufficient degree of ambiguity (so far) to allow them to get away with it. M'bala M'bala has been convicted several times for racist and anti-Jewish remarks, and is a close associate of Le Pen and his Front National and their fellow-travellers. I don't see any difference between this and Di Canio's Fascist salute at Lazio. If an increasing number of bigots use it as a way to insult Jewish people, then it has no place in a football stadium - or anywhere else, for that matter.

I'm perfectly certain that Anelka knows exactly what the gesture signifies, and I agree with hibsdaft when he says that Anelka's lying through his teeth when he claims he wasn't aware of its offensive connotations.

Not all White Anglo-Saxon Protestants are racist bigots, and not all racist bigots are White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

Far from it, in fact.

hibsbollah
29-12-2013, 01:34 PM
If this gesture had been perceived to be offensive against those from the gay, black or Muslim communities, those defending him would be saying that it doesn't matter if the gesture isn't explicitly offensive, people have taken offence at it so that's enough to make it wrong.

But it gives people a reason to have a go at Israel so I suppose that's alright.

Absolute rubbish. Ive been consistent on here about the wrongs of antisemitism, as much as ive contributed to debates about the murderous policies of the Israeli state. But chucking about accusations of double standards is easier than actually engaging with the issues, I suppose.

Wotherspiniesta
29-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I'd like to know what these "sexual belief" celebrations are!

Scott Allan Key
29-12-2013, 03:27 PM
How sad, this has nothing to do with Anelka's religion. Far too many people equate the horror of Israeli-style apartheid with Judaism, especially those with a limited understanding of European history and not sharing a background of friendship with Jewish people. I would hate to be a Jew on the receiving end of abuse and insults with the lie that Israeli policies make that acceptable.

I hope this is cracked down by his club.

magpie1892
29-12-2013, 05:25 PM

This.

Thread one of the most cringeworthy I've seen on here in a long time. The OP is like one of those people who considered Life of Brian 'offensive', then had to admit they hadn't actually seen it.

magpie1892
29-12-2013, 05:30 PM
He made this daft Quenelle gesture and already publicly stated that it was done in support of his Comedian Friend Dieudonne.

So he is already fully aware of its meaning, he knows its extremely controversial as its caused big issues in France but he decides to use his goal celebration to gain publicity.

This article explains it:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/wap/Item.aspx?type=0&item=175632

Good independent source. Well balanced, non-partisan and covers all the angles of the story. 'Israeli National News' indeed - words fail me.

RIP Bestie
29-12-2013, 06:17 PM
This.Thread one of the most cringeworthy I've seen on here in a long time. The OP is like one of those people who considered Life of Brian 'offensive', then had to admit they hadn't actually seen it.Nonsense. Where did I say that I was personally offended by his actions. He has his beliefs and I respect them. My point is that a football match should not be used as a platform for players to display those beliefs. As for your Life of Brian comparison, at least I would have known the content of the movie before watching it and could then make an informed decision if I wanted to view it INCASE it was going to cause offence. I think the reaction that has came from his actions clearly shows that he has caused offence and that sort of thing should be saved for the correct environment. In my opinion that is not at a football match

hibsdaft
29-12-2013, 06:35 PM
this has nothing to do with Israel or Palestine

the salute honours an anti-semitic French politician and his anti-semitic beliefs.

utterly perplexed that normally right-thinking people are defending this. it has no place in footfall.

ekhibee
30-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Whether the gesture was anti-semitic or not, Anelka has been a loudmouth troublemaker at virtually every club he's been with, and also the French national team. He was a very good football player, he should focus on the job he's been paid to do. Can't stand the guy but I've always appreciated that he was a very good footballer. If he kept his gob shut and got on with the job in hand he'd be a better person for it. He's entitled to his opinion, of course he is, that's one of the luxuries of living in what we call a democratic society. If he does want to express political opinions on a regular basis maybe he should consider retiring from football and taking up a career in politics. It would be ridiculously unfair to say that all footballers should be banned or censored for making political gestures or comments, but he seems to love drawing attention to himself, so I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

grunt
20-01-2014, 03:12 PM
It's being reported today that their shirt sponsors have cancelled their support over the issue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25810659#TWEET1018050

Sylar
20-01-2014, 03:15 PM
It's being reported today that their shirt sponsors have cancelled their support over the issue

So he's cost West Brom some decent revenue and forced them to seek a new sponsor?

I bet they're probably wishing he did quit football when his agent died last year. Certainly won't be surprised if they elect now to cash in on him.

GavinHarris 10
20-01-2014, 04:42 PM
So he's cost West Brom some decent revenue and forced them to seek a new sponsor?

I bet they're probably wishing he did quit football when his agent died last year. Certainly won't be surprised if they elect now to cash in on him.

The guys probably not worth a penny

Dr Jimmy
21-01-2014, 06:00 AM

This sponsor contract was due to end in May. Call me cynical, but could this be the sponsor insuring they get maximum publicity before their contract expires?
A bit like when bookies pay out early on league winners, name splashed across tv and papers. Much cheaper than paying for adverts.

CyberSauzee
21-01-2014, 07:18 AM
This sponsor contract was due to end in May. Call me cynical, but could this be the sponsor insuring they get maximum publicity before their contract expires?
A bit like when bookies pay out early on league winners, name splashed across tv and papers. Much cheaper than paying for adverts.

Exactly my thoughts. It's not being renewed, let's tell folks we're not renewing and let the media mention our name on the national news.

grunt
21-01-2014, 07:38 AM
You could both be right. The sponsor explicitly mentioned the incident in their press release, so I guess Anelka's actions have allowed them to raise the issue in the media, and allowed them more exposure.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Well whatever the cause right or wrong he's got what he wanted out of it and probably more in terms of exposure. The media do have some responsibility in what they report regardless of whether it is available on the internet - do we really need to see the gesture in the incident repeated every 15 mins on SKY? Self fulfilling prophecy they even state in their report the gesture was "little known here until..." Yes until companies like SKY gave it even greater esposure.

NOLA
21-01-2014, 08:06 AM
have to agree with this, maximum exposure for zoopla, who id never heard of until this became a story.:agree:

AndyM_1875
21-01-2014, 08:16 AM
have to agree with this, maximum exposure for zoopla, who id never heard of until this became a story.:agree:

Zoopla are a bunch of absolute chancers. Keeps their name in the media.

Bostonhibby
21-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Zoopla are a bunch of absolute chancers. Keeps their name in the media.

Wouldn't surprise me these day, but to be fair there is also a chance that their Jewish owner found the use of a recognised anti-semitic gesture as a step too far, up to that point no meaningful action had been taken by anyone else.

As for Anelka, if he is not in the news he usually ends up doing or saying something that gets him in. He knew what he was doing, decent player but that's about it. Not the most popular Arsenal old boy amongst their fans.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-01-2014, 08:45 AM
The guys probably not worth a penny

absolutely no chance he's got any sale value left. Can't see queues of clubs lining up either. Not in these Isles anyway.

Ronniekirk
21-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't surprise me these day, but to be fair there is also a chance that their Jewish owner found the use of a recognised anti-semitic gesture as a step too far, up to that point no meaningful action had been taken by anyone else.

As for Anelka, if he is not in the news he usually ends up doing or saying something that gets him in. He knew what he was doing, decent player but that's about it. Not the most popular Arsenal old boy amongst their fans.

Its a win win situation for them.The contract wasn't going to be renewed anyway and they haven't terminated it.So they are getting more exposure than they would of while being seen to take a moral and high principled stand on the issue before football authorities have done anything about it. The Jews have a history of being a persecuted race so you can't blame the Jewish owner Did west brom not sign him for a snip ?

Bostonhibby
21-01-2014, 08:46 AM
absolutely no chance he's got any sale value left. Can't see queues of clubs lining up either. Not in these Isles anyway.

:agree: Where's Paulo Di Canio now? he might be interested :wink:

Bostonhibby
21-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Its a win win situation for them.The contract wasn't going to be renewed anyway and they haven't terminated it.So they are getting more exposure than they would of while being seen to take a moral and high principled stand on the issue before football authorities have done anything about it. The Jews have a history of being a persecuted race so you can't blame the Jewish owner Did west brom not sign him for a snip ?

Indeed - he might even be heading for the chop.

J-C
21-01-2014, 09:17 AM

What? not even Macabi tel Aviv :greengrin

jdships
21-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Agree totally !!
Gave up on religion years ago after working in different parts of the world and seeing , first hand , the "damage " it can do to innocent people .
Since then I haven't found my life has been affected in any way other than I try not to get involved in discussions re religion :rolleyes:.
I appreciate that this is my opinion and have no problems with those who choose to "Practise " !!

Won't be any religious input at my funeral :greengrin
" The Party's Over " and " Sunshine on Leith" will do just fine for me :top marks

jdships
21-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Remember this anonymous Irish quote
" If you want publicity start a fight. "

Never fails !!!
( Think about it and you will be amazed how true that is !! )

Geo_1875
21-01-2014, 11:30 AM

I disagree. I will definitely not use Zoopla or their product (whatever that may be) due to their continued connection with West Bromwich Albion and support of Anelka and his offensive gesture (which I didn't see and wasn't offended by).

NOLA
21-01-2014, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=AK86;3847260]When is the world going to wake up to the fact that religion is just a big con anyway?

we came from apes, it's been proved a thousand times. Somebody needs to tell them all[/QUOTE
If we evolved from apes wouldnt apes be extinct by now? :dunno:

sparky
22-01-2014, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=AK86;3847260]When is the world going to wake up to the fact that religion is just a big con anyway?

we came from apes, it's been proved a thousand times. Somebody needs to tell them all[/QUOTE
If we evolved from apes wouldnt apes be extinct by now? :dunno:

We didn't evolve from apes. We (humans) are apes. Humans and our other ape cousins (chimps, gorillas etc) evolved from a common ancestor.

lord bunberry
22-01-2014, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=NOLA;3878896]

We didn't evolve from apes. We (humans) are apes. Humans and our other ape cousins (chimps, gorillas etc) evolved from a common ancestor.

Hearts fans didn't evolve at all

NOLA
22-01-2014, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=sparky;3878937]

Hearts fans didn't evolve at all

:LOL: