PDA

View Full Version : Standing Coming Back?

Dan Sarf
28-12-2013, 01:25 PM
English Football League clubs to have their say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25526329

Could we be next?

Keith_M
28-12-2013, 01:41 PM
"As far as the Football League is concerned the law is a total nonsense - it allows standing in League One and League Two but not in the Championship."

Hard to disagre with this.

I think it would be a futile exercise for most clubs in England to bother with convertible seating, as there is such a low likelihood of them ever appearing in Europe. Most clubs that would like to have standing areas may as well make them permanent standing.

LancashireHibby
28-12-2013, 02:18 PM
"As far as the Football League is concerned the law is a total nonsense - it allows standing in League One and League Two but not in the Championship."

Hard to disagre with this.

I think it would be a futile exercise for most clubs in England to bother with convertible seating, as there is such a low likelihood of them ever appearing in Europe. Most clubs that would like to have standing areas may as well make them permanent standing.
As it stands though it will only be the Football League permitting - clubs would still need to be all seater if promoted to the Premier League. As it is, I think it's only likely to be taken on board by clubs planning to move to new grounds in the future rather than the dozens of teams who have had rebuilds/new grounds in the last 10-15 years.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2013, 03:01 PM
If this was to have any impact at ER it would surely be only on bits of the ground still yet to be developed, as all the new bits are too steep?

greenlex
28-12-2013, 03:27 PM
As long as there are smoke bombs and flares etc it isn't going to happen. Green Brigades antics at Motherwell won't help either.

Keith_M
28-12-2013, 03:45 PM
If this was to have any impact at ER it would surely be only on bits of the ground still yet to be developed, as all the new bits are too steep?

I think the lower sections of the South, West and FF Stands would be OK. I can't see the West Stand front being developed for terracing but we might, one day, see terracing re-introduced in the lower FF.

I don't think it'll be any time soon, though, as it would be a very hard to convince the club to spend such a large sum of money without any tangible benefit.

ScottB
28-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I can't see the club being willing to spend money ripping out seats to install standing areas that, presumably, people would expect to pay less for than a seated ticket.

Unless of course they can be convinced there's some sizable number of fans not attending games who'd only come if standing returned, but I would suspect those most keen to stand are people already regularly attending, so really it represents a potential income drop for the club, never mind the short term diversion of potential playing squad funds. Not for me thanks!

wearethehibs
28-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Not sat at a game in years at ER so won't make a difference to me. Think the only ground in Scotland that people who like to stand, have any problems is at Tanadice.