View Full Version : Jim Goodwin

28-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Anyone see this guy's blatant punch in the face of Stuart Armstrong on thursday? Stonewall red card that he somehow got away with.

The guy's a talentless thug and I must say I'm embarrassed we were ever willing to stoop as low as him. Welt of a man.

28-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Crazy how he never got sent off for that. Absolute nutter!

Hope he smashes into some of the yam players this Sunday though and further depletes them ahead of our game against them on the 2nd.

28-12-2013, 02:16 AM
On the youtube highlights he has a wee dig at ciftci as they tussle for a loose ball but the is blindsided so had no chance of seeing it. Around the 1:40 mark for anyone that wants to see. Is that the incident your talking about or was there another one? There's playing hard and physical and then there's just assaulting people, sadly he falls into the latter category. Glad we never signed him.:agree:

portycabbage
28-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Anyone see this guy's blatant punch in the face of Stuart Armstrong on thursday? Stonewall red card that he somehow got away with.

The guy's a talentless thug and I must say I'm embarrassed we were ever willing to stoop as low as him. Welt of a man.

He seems to like elbowing folk in the head on purpose, he did it to Wotherspoon last season(?) and then tried to say that he was the victim of Spoony's cheating and giving it "he might be a nice guy off the park but he shouldn't be trying to get a fellow professional sent off", or words to that effect. Goodwin was looking at the back of his head and went into it with his elbow raised, off the ball. And he should have been off earlier in that game for going through the back of someone.

hibeemikey21
28-12-2013, 02:31 AM
On the youtube highlights he has a wee dig at ciftci as they tussle for a loose ball but the is blindsided so had no chance of seeing it. Around the 1:40 mark for anyone that wants to see. Is that the incident your talking about or was there another one? There's playing hard and physical and then there's just assaulting people, sadly he falls into the latter category. Glad we never signed him.:agree:

That's the incident I saw. Horrible player, sadly suited to the Scottish game at present (to an extent)

28-12-2013, 02:32 AM
****bag

28-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Hope he smashes into some of the yam players this Sunday though and further depletes them ahead of our game against them on the 2nd.

My thoughts exactly.

28-12-2013, 08:45 AM

This in buckets!

28-12-2013, 08:48 AM

The tv official's going to have a look at it so no doubt he'll be banned for Sunday.

roryg
28-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I seem to recall, Hibs tried to sign Goodwin but, he wanted to stay at St Mirren.

28-12-2013, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=Danderhall Hibs;3846502]The tv official's going to have a look at it so no doubt he'll be banned for Sunday.[/QUOTE

Won't kick in until after he's inflicted some damage on Sunday.

28-12-2013, 08:56 AM
The tv official's going to have a look at it so no doubt he'll be banned for Sunday.

I'd be amazed if he didn't get at least a 3 game ban on the back of that game. There were at least 3 straight red challenges from Goodwin in the highlights.

28-12-2013, 09:03 AM

:agree:http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/lunny-to-study-jim-goodwin-s-dundee-united-display-1-3249038

And the Referee who missed it all...None other than Bobby Madden. I wonder who's got the Ne'er day Derby?

28-12-2013, 09:30 AM
If he was playing for us in the derby and did likewise to Stevenson (and got away with it) would we still be calling him a thug?

28-12-2013, 09:32 AM
If he was playing for us in the derby and did likewise to Stevenson (and got away with it) would we still be calling him a thug?

I wouldn't, but I'm a hypocrite.

28-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Another one of Pat Fenlons great ideas - probably would have teamed him with 4 other central plodders.

28-12-2013, 09:51 AM

That's it though, he won't get away with it. The cameras and the bbc would make sure Mr Lunny was made aware.

We are seeing Trial by TV every week in the SPFL, and the BBC deciding on which incidents are shown in the clips on sportscene.

28-12-2013, 09:53 AM

As hypocritical as i can be, id love to give that Stevenson a good skelp myself!!!

Goodwin is a talent-less thug through and through, in my opinion. He deliberately sets out to hurt the opposition players physically every game. Its the only reason he is on the park.

If he'd come to Hibs when we where needing a "hard" player to break up moves he would not have fitted in to the Hibs style of play (whatever that is ?) and would have been sent off so many time that the team wouldn't know he was a player!!

How that referee missed all this is beyond me, but hey, he is a referee aint he? I just hope he is more alert in watching for the typical Hearts fouls to stop us playing and disrupting the game.

Everyone is focused on the Derby but tomorrows game is important too so lets hope we can get the points and what Goodwin does on Sunday, well time will tell!

28-12-2013, 09:55 AM
That's it though, he won't get away with it. The cameras and the bbc would make sure Mr Lunny was made aware. We are seeing Trial by TV every week in the SPFL, and the BBC deciding on which incidents are shown in the clips on sportscene.

Regular pundit on Sportscene as well ... BBC are brutal these days ... They have a lovein with too many clowns like him eg Mikey Stewart Alan Preston wee fat Robbo Stephen Craigan and occasionally that Fud Billy Brown

28-12-2013, 09:55 AM
That's the incident I saw. Horrible player, sadly suited to the Scottish game at present (to an extent)

It is the very first highlight of the game about 14 seconds in on Armstrong. Clear punch.

28-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Another one of Pat Fenlons great ideas - probably would have teamed him with 4 other central plodders.

Yeah and this place went mental when he decided to stay. Exactly the type we needed at that point in time.

28-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Yeah and this place went mental when he decided to stay. Exactly the type we needed at that point in time.

Andy, your right at that time when we were scrapping for SPL survival but thank **** we never that thug

28-12-2013, 10:30 AM

I'd agree with that. Got left with they two jokers Soares and Osbourne instead.

Cue, Soares scored two at Kilmarnock.

28-12-2013, 10:31 AM
And I know Osbourne wasn't signed by Fenlon.

28-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Yes he plays on the edge, and often over steps it. But those calling him talentless :rolleyes: You mean ones that can tackle / pass (to a team mate) and bully the opposition

Have seen him run so many games and is comfortable in both midfield and at CF (although more effective at controlling the game in CM)

Make a list of players who have run midfield's - lots have these same traits (and no i'm not comparing overall talent) and are not really likable...unless they are in your team

Roy Keane
Neil Lennon
Roy Aiken

add your own...

Was he out of order ...yes (Lennon subbed him to save another card) and will probably get hauled up for it as was not dealt with by ref...

Lets not be hypocrites - Matty Jack wasn't shy to bully the opposition any way he could ...and we would have him back in a heart beat

28-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Another one of Pat Fenlons great ideas - probably would have teamed him with 4 other central plodders.Everyone on here was pleased to take Goodwin at the time but don't let that get in the way of you needlessly bashing Fenlon.

28-12-2013, 11:09 AM
That's it though, he won't get away with it. The cameras and the bbc would make sure Mr Lunny was made aware.

We are seeing Trial by TV every week in the SPFL, and the BBC deciding on which incidents are shown in the clips on sportscene.

In a way he has got away with it. If he had been sent off Saints would have played for 85 mins with 10 men & I doubt they would have won 4-1. He'll now be offered a 2 game ban which given his record, is probably less than the automatic penalty he would have incurred. FWIW I usually feel sympathy for players red or yellow carded when unintentionally elbowing someone while jumping but this was a blatant assault & unnecessary as he had already won the ball. Ridiculous behaviour!
ps, I'm still opposed to selective retroactive action which depends on TV highlights but as the system exists its better to apply it for acts of thuggery rather than harmless gestures.

28-12-2013, 11:23 AM

And thats whats wrong with the retrospective action, its not consistent and dependent on the Sportscene editor highlighting it. On OAM Willie Miller went on about Aberdeens Robsons blatant dive that went unpunished and the less conspicuous offence in which a Motherwell player was booked. I expected to see the incident in the highlights, but nothing. An ex OF player being protected maybe?

28-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Having met Goodwin several times he is actually one of the nicest guys to speak with and comes across very well.

He does seem to be one of these people who once on the pitch turns into a different person but I would have certainly taken him at Hibs at the time to add some leadership and steel into the team.

Saying that I believe Claros was a better player once settled :agree:

He also hates the yams and before the league cup final last season told me he would do everything to be fit (had a calf strain) to win it against them - and like Stephen Thompson I'm happy he stopped the yams winning silverware.

28-12-2013, 11:53 AM
He does seem to be one of these people who once on the pitch turns into a different person but I would certainly taking him at Hibs to add some leadership and steel into the team.

Saying that I believe Claros was a better player once settled :agree:

I agree with the general sentiment but I'd have to say there are limits as to what I'd like to see a Hibs player do to 'boss' the opposition.

As for the second point; I'd love to see Claros back at Hibs.

28-12-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree with the general sentiment but I'd have to say there are limits as to what I'd like to see a Hibs player do to 'boss' the opposition.

As for the second point; I'd love to see Claros back at Hibs.

True - I do think Goodwin will make a very good manager though when he stops playing though and he does speak highly of Hibs as a club.

28-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Despite what anyone thinks of this boy, despite all the tenuous attempts to steer the thread towards another Fenlon based bitching session, despite the fact that off the pitch, Goodwin is nice to his Granny and helps pensioners across the road, surely the end point is that if he has committed an offence, there are procedures that will pick this up and if found guilty, he will be punished accordingly?

SonOfTortolano
28-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Remember Bobo Balde on Fenwick at ER?

28-12-2013, 12:16 PM
What a bell end he is

28-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Wee cheeky challenge on the wongas keeper would be good !!!!

28-12-2013, 12:24 PM
My thoughts exactly.

I hope hearts play their full strength team and we thump them!

28-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I would still have him at Hibs, so what if he is a thug, he also seems to be a winner as well, no worse than Brown or Murray when they played for us.

28-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I'd quite like to go in for a 50/50 challenge with Goodwin.

With both feet.

High.

Really high.

28-12-2013, 01:47 PM
In a way he has got away with it. If he had been sent off Saints would have played for 85 mins with 10 men & I doubt they would have won 4-1. He'll now be offered a 2 game ban which given his record, is probably less than the automatic penalty he would have incurred. FWIW I usually feel sympathy for players red or yellow carded when unintentionally elbowing someone while jumping but this was a blatant assault & unnecessary as he had already won the ball. Ridiculous behaviour!
ps, I'm still opposed to selective retroactive action which depends on TV highlights but as the system exists its better to apply it for acts of thuggery rather than harmless gestures.

Fair comments mate. He got away with it to an extent. I don't know the rules who brings things to Lunny's attention, but with the many issues from Thursday's games (Robson dive, and Van Dijk's elbow on May), why are these guys getting away with it?

The BBC editor on sportscene has become the games supergrass, but is selective in whom he grasses on.

28-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Fair comments mate. He got away with it to an extent. I don't know the rules who brings things to Lunny's attention, but with the many issues from Thursday's games (Robson dive, and Van Dijk's elbow on May), why are these guys getting away with it?

The BBC editor on sportscene has become the games supergrass, but is selective in whom he grasses on.

Leigh Griffiths (and Hibs) have in the past suffered from such selective editing. Anyone remember the Sportscene cameras highlighting the sly wee "gesture" which a frustrated Leigh made towards the Hibs fans?

28-12-2013, 02:10 PM

With both feet.

High.

Really high.

You'd lose mate.

28-12-2013, 02:30 PM
The SFA didn't bother about Black's similar assault on Griffiths. Maybe Goodwin is the new Black?

28-12-2013, 02:35 PM
It doesn't matter what the editor of Sportscene does.I believe all copies of match filming are available to the Compliance Officer so in this example once the papers were full of it Lunny would have accessed the clip-it doesn't have to be shown.I believe Dundee United have also forwarded it to Lunny.Needless to say you would never learn this from the press who know very little of what actually goes on in Scottish football.

28-12-2013, 02:54 PM
It doesn't matter what the editor of Sportscene does.I believe all copies of match filming are available to the Compliance Officer so in this example once the papers were full of it Lunny would have accessed the clip-it doesn't have to be shown.I believe Dundee United have also forwarded it to Lunny.Needless to say you would never learn this from the press who know very little of what actually goes on in Scottish football.

So we now have the media determining what does and doesn't go forward to Lunny. If the editor of Sportscene/Daily ******/Sun want to run with something then the games a bogey.

The Barry Robson's dive has been in the press and on the radio for a couple of days now, and still nothing.

Poor show imo.

28-12-2013, 03:02 PM
So we now have the media determining what does and doesn't go forward to Lunny. If the editor of Sportscene/Daily ******/Sun want to run with something then the games a bogey.

The Barry Robson's dive has been in the press and on the radio for a couple of days now, and still nothing.

Poor show imo.

I've just said that all TV filming is available-do you expect the Compliance Officer to attend every game-make for a long season.

28-12-2013, 03:10 PM
I've just said that all TV filming is available-do you expect the Compliance Officer to attend every game-make for a long season.

I'd expect if the filming is available, that he watches them, at least the top flight games, and is not swayed by Editors.

28-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I love Jim Goodwin.

At least I do tomorrow.

Break 'em up Jimbo.

Break 'em up baaaad.

28-12-2013, 03:17 PM

With both feet.

High.

Really high.
Are you going for the Jugular?

28-12-2013, 03:26 PM

I think we're all pretty much in agreement here! Lunny has the facility to review all games but obviously won't. The problem then arises that his attention is drawn to examples of wrongdoing by the media, & usually by Sportscene. The system is therefore open to abuse, you can pretty much guarantee that newco & Celtc are not going to be referred too often! Oh, & I look forward to Lennon's reaction if it does happen!!

28-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd expect if the filming is available, that he watches them, at least the top flight games, and is not swayed by Editors.

Something i pointed out over a year ago, its not an editor's job to do this, and it opens up a huge can of worms regarding who and what he flags up.

28-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Something i pointed out over a year ago, its not an editor's job to do this, and it opens up a huge can of worms regarding who and what he flags up.

I watched 3 games on Boxing day and am on my second game just now with the late game in the pub. You just cannae get the staff these days:greengrin

28-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I watched 3 games on Boxing day and am on my second game just now with the late game in the pub. You just cannae get the staff these days:greengrin

:greengrin Might pop in and see you next week before the derby game. :thumbsup:

28-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Goodwin is a thug of the highest order. I suspect that he was trying to intimidate the young players of Dundee United.

Does anyone know if he is up against other young players anytime soon ? :wink:

28-12-2013, 09:09 PM
:greengrin Might pop in and see you next week before the derby game. :thumbsup:

We'll be there.:aok:

28-12-2013, 10:07 PM
It almost seemed as if he was trying to get sent off.

hibbymick
28-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Hes obviously not the full shilling.

30-12-2013, 03:56 PM
St Mirren accept a two match ban.

30-12-2013, 04:40 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25551463

30-12-2013, 04:45 PM
banged to rights, and no mistake guv. A 2 match ban ...............? Let off lightly IMO.

Puts me in mind of Neil Lennon whacking a young Derek Riordan in the dish as he was running past. ( a backhanded happy slap type offence) Been trying to find a pic of it . ~ anyone else recall?

30-12-2013, 04:58 PM
banged to rights, and no mistake guv. A 2 match ban ...............? Let off lightly IMO.

Puts me in mind of Neil Lennon whacking a young Derek Riordan in the dish as he was running past. ( a backhanded happy slap type offence) Been trying to find a pic of it . ~ anyone else recall?

That was ricksen that did that at Hampden.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rangers-hit-ricksen-in-pocket-with-163-10-000-fine-for-elbow-1-513232

30-12-2013, 05:04 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rangers-hit-ricksen-in-pocket-with-163-10-000-fine-for-elbow-1-513232

Hmmmmmmmm Was sure a similar incident at Easties involving N L.

Must be my old head playing tricks. Still a high calibre ****bag :greengrin

30-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Hmmmmmmmm Was sure a similar incident at Easties involving N L.

Must be my old head playing tricks. Still a high calibre ****bag :greengrin

Maybe there was a similar incident, this just sprang to mind when you mentioned it.

MontrealHibs
30-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Would be interesting to see if he would make a similar challenge on a player like Michael Nelson?

30-12-2013, 09:32 PM

31-12-2013, 03:35 PM

St Mirren captain Jim Goodwin has been dealt a two-match ban by the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary tribunal for striking Dundee United's Stuart Armstrong with his forearm.

i have to admit i was pretty disappointed when we didn't land Goodwin, but he appears to be getting a dirtier player as he gets older

31-12-2013, 03:38 PM

St Mirren captain Jim Goodwin has been dealt a two-match ban by the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary tribunal for striking Dundee United's Stuart Armstrong with his forearm.

i have to admit i was pretty disappointed when we didn't land Goodwin, but he appears to be getting a dirtier player as he gets olderI'm gald we never signed him, I never though he had much in the 1st place and now that's all he has left.

31-12-2013, 03:40 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25551463 St Mirren captain Jim Goodwin has been dealt a two-match ban by the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary tribunal for striking Dundee United's Stuart Armstrong with his forearm. i have to admit i was pretty disappointed when we didn't land Goodwin, but he appears to be getting a dirtier player as he gets older

Torn a new one by Armstrong and forearm smash to stop him. Wtf was the ref doing??

31-12-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm gald we never signed him, I never though he had much in the 1st place and now that's all he has left.

he would have done ok at the time j, that's when we had the powder puff loanees all oor the place :)

31-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Torn a new one by Armstrong and forearm smash to stop him. Wtf was the ref doing??

looks like an assault

31-12-2013, 03:45 PM
looks like an assault

Yip right across the boys jaw. Thug like and cowardly.

31-12-2013, 03:46 PM
he would have done ok at the time j, that's when we had the powder puff loanees all oor the place :)Maybe have toughened things up a bit but I'd rather have players (even the tough ones) with at least a bit of ability rather than just an out and out thug.

31-12-2013, 03:50 PM
If the ref had done his job then would be not have been given a 3 game ban for an assault? Why's he then being 'offered' two games? That's as clear a red as you will ever see. With his previous, they should have made a real example of him.

31-12-2013, 06:07 PM
If the ref had done his job then would be not have been given a 3 game ban for an assault? Why's he then being 'offered' two games? That's as clear a red as you will ever see. With his previous, they should have made a real example of him.

More like if the police had done their job he would be having a community sentence by now, absolute thug of a player......