PDA

View Full Version : Paul Cairney

theonlywayisup
26-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I thought he played well today, but he seemed to be the target for a few around me today. He showed an appetite to get forward, linked well with Forster down the right and Collins ahead of him. Good deliveries from corners, two of which resulted in goals. Yet, one guy in particularly was saying "Cairney, you're murder", "too slow", always picking on the negatives rather that focusing on the positives. Why!

HibbyAndy
26-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Cairney is the most creative player we have

FACT.

Billychaotic182
26-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Set up both goals enough said

Jonnyboy
26-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I thought he played well today, but he seemed to be the target for a few around me today. He showed an appetite to get forward, linked well with Forster down the right and Collins ahead of him. Good deliveries from corners, two of which resulted in goals. Yet, one guy in particularly was saying "Cairney, you're murder", "too slow", always picking on the negatives rather that focusing on the positives. Why!

Cos he's an er5e? The guy, not Cairney :greengrin

Libby Hibby
26-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Cairney was excellent today, our only player in the side that wants to (and has the ability to) go past a player...he will rip McHattie up on the 2nd...keep on the path to full match fitness Paul, it's great having you back

oconnors_strip
26-12-2013, 08:55 PM
there was a few people in the crowd today always being negative and slagging a few players. would hate to hear their reaction when we play bad and lose:rolleyes:

LaMotta
26-12-2013, 09:19 PM

FACT.

Correct.

Some guy near me at st johnstone game on sat kept calling him a "little glaswegian c##t". Strange behaviour to say the least.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I like Cairney.

Whether he is the long term answer is open to debate but he's a player i like having in the squad.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Wasn't at the game today so can't comment on that. Been at every other game under Butcher though and think Cairney needs to do a lot, lot more than I've seen In them. I think he could be a big player for us though, if he plays to his potential.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Another case for anger management course at the Hibernian Community Foundation :)

Northernhibee
26-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Creative players are inherently frustrating as they take risks and risks don't always pay off.

You can't complain about a lack of creativity or scoring chances being created then get on the back of a player who takes risks when the odd one doesn't come off.

A creative player is also more likely to be knocked by boo boys as it's confidence that allows people the freedom to take risks.

Cairney's a good player.

poolman
26-12-2013, 11:05 PM
If Butch think's he's good enough to start then that's OK with me

Steven_Hibs
26-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Lacks pace, we all know that. But has the potential to create, big six months for him coming up, prove he is worth a deal with us or with someone else

Onceinawhile
26-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Paul cairney is a great player. 2 assists today I? He's the only player in the team who looks like a footballer rather than a hoofballer. He's nutmegged more players in 18 months than the rest of the squad in heir whole career.

silverhibee
27-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Glad Butcher has stuck by him, more games he plays for us the better he will get.

mutley
27-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Paul cairney is a great player. 2 assists today I? He's the only player in the team who looks like a footballer rather than a hoofballer. He's nutmegged more players in 18 months than the rest of the squad in heir whole career.

I've always liked Cairney, never scared to take a man on and the majority of times he gets past. If he keeps popping in crosses from corners like that, happy days

green.and.white
27-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Cairney is a great player to have, not the best top speed but has good acceleration to get a half yard of space on defenders and to skip past them, he will be a big player for us on the 2nd (Oh aye and that Killie game somewhere in between :greengrin)

bingo70
27-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Can't say I'm a massive fan of his. Were both his assists yesterday from corners?

I like wingers to create things from open play and he doesn't do that often enough for my liking.

He might be worth a shot playing off the front man though.

Coco Bryce
27-12-2013, 12:45 PM
His free kick yesterday was woeful.

I like him though he's pretty direct.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-12-2013, 01:20 PM
He is a decent enough player and worth his place in the team when he is it and on form. He does seem to slip out of condition fairly easily though, it would appear? Butcher and Malpas are big on the fitness aspect of the game though, so here's hoping that he can benefit from that.

--------
27-12-2013, 01:24 PM
The biggest problem we have at ER right now is the negative attitude of far too many Hibs supporters.

It's not about discussing issues on the net, or even criticising people on here (criticising, not abusing). It's about the folks who go to the games, sit in the stands, and treat our own players worse than some other supports treat the visitors. If you're sitting in among them, it doesn't matter how good the result, or how well the team plays, the afternoon becomes an ordeal

They need to either shut up or push off. :bitchy:

IndieHibby
27-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Every time someone shouts something negative, shout something positive. If you disagree with the specifics of their abuse, then shout specific positive support that directly contradicts what they say.
Freedom of speech dictates that people can shout negative comments freely, so rather than criticise them on here , show them up in the stands by exercising your right to free speech.
Soon enough you will see that most people want to be positive, it's just hard when there is nothing positive to see!

JimBHibees
27-12-2013, 04:51 PM

FACT.

I agree he gives us something different and should be persevered and supported as he will create and score goals. He needs to cut the diving out though as he will end up not getting a decision.

Keith_M
27-12-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it's about time that we as fans took some positive action. There are some people that seem to revel in slagging off our players but peer pressure, I think, is what we should employ to change their views.

Reason with them that the player might play better if we all stick together and just give positive backing....

...If that fails, try kicking them in the baws.

bingo70
27-12-2013, 06:12 PM

FACT.

He's not really got much competition for that title to be fair though.

FWIW I'd say Harris is more likely to create something than cairney when he plays.

offshorehibby
27-12-2013, 07:47 PM
The biggest problem we have at ER right now is the negative attitude of far too many Hibs supporters.

It's not about discussing issues on the net, or even criticising people on here (criticising, not abusing). It's about the folks who go to the games, sit in the stands, and treat our own players worse than some other supports treat the visitors. If you're sitting in among them, it doesn't matter how good the result, or how well the team plays, the afternoon becomes an ordeal

They need to either shut up or push off. :bitchy:

Well said,
but some people would rather concentrate their efforts in throwing venomous insults to their own players rather than encourage.

--------
27-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Well said,
but some people would rather concentrate their efforts in throwing venomous insults to their own players rather than encourage.

There are people who seem to go to ER to shout and scream violent and obscene abuse at the Hibs players - and these guys mostly are wearing green and white scarves. And I'm not just talking about Celtic games.

It's actually past reason. Some of them wouldn't be out of place in a padded cell.

Stewboy
28-12-2013, 06:12 AM
He is slow, however he has something about him that doesn't require raw pace

Try him in the hole behind the strikers, think he would be even more effective in here

roryg
28-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Given a good run in the team, Cairney will defo win the fans over.

bingo70
28-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Given a good run in the team, Cairney will defo win the fans over.

Going by this thread I'd say he already has won most of the fans over.

I'm not convinced he's won butcher over though so I think we'll either replace him with a new winger or Harris will take his place in the coming weeks.

roryg
28-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Fair comment, let's hope he does the biz on the 2nd.

Potty78
28-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Fair comment, let's hope he does the biz on the 2nd.

He was due to go to alloa on loan before butcher came in. Amazing how the two managers think so different. Am still not sure about him though.

theonlywayisup
28-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Every time someone shouts something negative, shout something positive. If you disagree with the specifics of their abuse, then shout specific positive support that directly contradicts what they say.
Freedom of speech dictates that people can shout negative comments freely, so rather than criticise them on here , show them up in the stands by exercising your right to free speech.
Soon enough you will see that most people want to be positive, it's just hard when there is nothing positive to see!

As others have said, it is got to that stage when it seems that some people only go to Easter Road to moan at OUR players. I know that is not the case, but you would think it is by listening to some of OUR FANS.

I did think about your suggestion of shouting something positive rather than something negative, but it is not going to work. When a player hits the corner flag, any shout of "Hard luck <<insert name>>, well done for trying to shoot" will be drowned out by the moans and groans.

No, better that OUR so called FANS put a sock in it and try and vocally support the team.

Yes, we could turn on these FANS, but that just leads to arguments, fights etc, which further creates a negative environment.

TBH, I don't know how we solve such problems.

lord bunberry
28-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Right now he's the only player we have looks like he can create something with a bit of skill, unfortunately he doesn't really have the pace to be a winger.

--------
28-12-2013, 11:31 AM
As others have said, it is got to that stage when it seems that some people only go to Easter Road to moan at OUR players. I know that is not the case, but you would think it is by listening to some of OUR FANS.

I did think about your suggestion of shouting something positive rather than something negative, but it is not going to work. When a player hits the corner flag, any shout of "Hard luck <<insert name>>, well done for trying to shoot" will be drowned out by the moans and groans.

No, better that OUR so called FANS put a sock in it and try and vocally support the team.

Yes, we could turn on these FANS, but that just leads to arguments, fights etc, which further creates a negative environment.

TBH, I don't know how we solve such problems.

Make them inhale helium as they go in. Then they'll sound like The Chipmunks and we can all laugh at them.

RIP
28-12-2013, 12:43 PM
What about a new song?

If you are gonna boo the Hibees Fx k off home

silverhibee
28-12-2013, 01:37 PM
What about a new song?

If you are gonna boo the Hibees Fx k off home

Or how about the team give us a few home wins to cheer about, our home record at ER is horrendous and i don't believe for one minute it is the fault of the fans that keep turning up every other week to watch these poor performances that happen most weeks at ER.

Its becoming a .net FACT that we are to blame for these poor results at home, we aren't, its all down to the players on the day, the players get plenty of support from the fans, time they started repaying us with some good results at home.

DanHFC1875
28-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Or how about the team give us a few home wins to cheer about, our home record at ER is horrendous and i don't believe for one minute it is the fault of the fans that keep turning up every other week to watch these poor performances that happen most weeks at ER.

Its becoming a .net FACT that we are to blame for these poor results at home, we aren't, its all down to the players on the day, the players get plenty of support from the fans, time they started repaying us with some good results at home.

Agreed. Let's hope we shaft Killie the morn. GGTTH

ColintonHibs
28-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Agreed

RyeSloan
28-12-2013, 05:27 PM

Exactly.

As for the example above if the player does hit the corner flag with a shot he cannae exactly be expecting a polite round of applause for it.

RIP
29-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Seems to be 3 separate threads in one here. A Paul Cairney thread, one about the topic of player abuse and a completely separate theme about our right to be critical of poor play

I think we can expect to be tough on the tiny minority of abusers / bottle merchants without expecting everyone to suddenly turn into happy clappers

There seems to be a Hibs.Net myth starting to appear that everyone believes that fans are responsible for our poor home record. I don't think anyone buys that. The myth is that the myth exists in the first place

greenlex
29-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I agree he gives us something different and should be persevered and supported as he will create and score goals. He needs to cut the diving out though as he will end up not getting a decision.
Diving? Really? Can't say I've ever seen this. If he's gone down there is normally contact however soft.

HibsNutter
29-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Three assists and a goal in the last two games, hats off.

I also thought we should have had a penalty when he went down in the box, it looks like he has gained a 'divers reputation' without actually diving, which is not fair.

Brightside
29-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I actually thought he was average today. He just doesn't have the pace to be a winger, but luckily we didn't need pace today.

hibee_girl
29-12-2013, 05:27 PM
I actually thought he was average today. He just doesn't have the pace to be a winger, but luckily we didn't need pace today.

:agree:

whereswallace?
29-12-2013, 05:32 PM

I would agree with that, thought particularly in the second half he wanted too long on the ball and took too many touches at times, but he deserves credit for keeping going and getting himself a very good goal.

LaMotta
29-12-2013, 05:33 PM

:agree:

assist for the first, fantastic cross for Robertsons header that hit the bar, skill to beat a man that should have seen us get a penalty, great finish for the goal.

If that was him being average then I cant wait for him to play well :aok:

Brightside
I would agree with that, thought particularly in the second half he wanted too long on the ball and took too many touches at times, but he deserves credit for keeping going and getting himself a very good goal.

Yep - i actually expected him to come off for Handling... two mins later he scored!

B.H.F.C
Thought he was lively in the first half. Although he lost the ball a few times the main thing is that he was trying to go past people. Thought he'd fell right out the game in the second half then scored a good goal. I think he can get better.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Opinions, eh. I thought he played well today, as he did at County. The standing ovation by many showed others thought the same.

Eyrie
29-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I've been critical of Cairney in the past, but he's been worth his place in the last couple of games.

Alfred E Newman
29-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Opinions, eh. I thought he played well today, as he did at County. The standing ovation by many showed others thought the same.

Definitely man of the match for me.

Stonewall
29-12-2013, 06:07 PM

But the point is we moved the ball with pace. Cairney is hit and miss at times but his set piece delivery is terrific and he can do the unexpected.

Hero76
29-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Cairney was honking today.

Emerald
29-12-2013, 06:25 PM

He wasn't great and should have gone off long before he did (before he scored lol) but I think honking is a wee bit harsh.

29-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I like Cairney, thought he played well today, made some good runs but sometimes he doesn't know when to pass and trys to beat one man too many and looses it.

Hopefully next week he can get a few runs and the hearts youngsters will not know how to handle him.

LaMotta
29-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Well done for the stupidest most clueless post i've ever read on here.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2013, 06:31 PM

:rolleyes:

Aldo
29-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Fishing!!

whiskyhibby
29-12-2013, 07:20 PM
He wasn't great and should have gone off long before he did (before he scored lol) but I think honking is a wee bit harsh.

Aye right.......

hibby rae
29-12-2013, 08:29 PM
I thought he was poor for most of the game. Terry says the same thing in the interview on youtube, "he was poor until the goal, infact, we were getting ready to take him off". He also says Cairney said the same thing to him after the game.

SMAXXA
29-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I'd take a goal and an assist from any player that was honking from here until doomsday :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
29-12-2013, 08:37 PM
did his shot for the goal take a slight deflection ? i thought it did...not that it matters right enough :)

Onceinawhile
29-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Folk all around me in the east giving him abuse. Couldn't believe it. Someone wanting him off just before he scored, giruy. 2 games 3 assists and a goal. Compared to everyone elses record of f*** all.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Folk all around me in the east giving him abuse. Couldn't believe it. Someone wanting him off just before he scored, giruy. 2 games 3 assists and a goal. Compared to everyone elses record of f*** all.

To be fair even Butcher said in his interview on Hibs Tv that they were just about to take him off. Does your GIRUY go for him as well?

I thought he kept giving the ball away just before he scored and wasn't playing particularly well at that point but at the end of the day he walked off with a goal and an assist.

I get a bit frustrated with Cairney but it's because I think he can be better. He's a wee bit different to everyone else in our squad.

mutley
29-12-2013, 09:37 PM

You might have been close to me, someone behind me in the east shouted something like "Butcher get Him hooked" then he scored. Shut the bloke up for a few mins

edwards
29-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Because we are Hibs fans and have been used to years of disspointment, I too thought he wasn't having his best game and thought he needed to be subbed as Kimarnock kept him out the game until he scored, crowding him but I was at the other end and thought it looked like a penalty same with the Collins incident.

wookie70
29-12-2013, 10:18 PM
did his shot for the goal take a slight deflection ? i thought it did...not that it matters right enough :)
No deflection and it was a goal the second it left his foot. I thought he crossed the ball well today and did pretty well covering back. For me he was decent but no better today. He is a skill player who doesn't play it safe every time he gets the ball so I expect him to lose the ball far more often than other players. He lost it quite often today but that was balanced with a goal and some good deliveries. He gives us something different and is worth his place in the team for that.

Onceinawhile
29-12-2013, 10:23 PM
To be fair even Butcher said in his interview on Hibs Tv that they were just about to take him off. Does your GIRUY go for him as well?

I thought he kept giving the ball away just before he scored and wasn't playing particularly well at that point but at the end of the day he walked off with a goal and an assist.

I get a bit frustrated with Cairney but it's because I think he can be better. He's a wee bit different to everyone else in our squad.

He thought about it but didn't do it though!

Scott Robertson claiming the goal on twitter... any one else think it was hus?

B.H.F.C
29-12-2013, 10:35 PM
He thought about it but didn't do it though!

Scott Robertson claiming the goal on twitter... any one else think it was hus?

My point was that at that particular time the manager was obviously thinking along similar lines to some people in the crowd.

Re Robertson claiming the goal I thought at the time it took a nick on the way through. Could never have told you who it was off though.

matty_f
29-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I thought Cairney was of the place in the second half but kept looking to get on the ball and didn't hide so he deserves credit for that. Paid off for him as he got a goal.

I would have to be honest and say I'd have subbed him before he scored, though.

hfc rd
29-12-2013, 10:43 PM
I thought Cairney was of the place in the second half but kept looking to get on the ball and didn't hide so he deserves credit for that. Paid off for him as he got a goal.

I would have to be honest and say I'd have subbed him before he scored, though.

I agree with you. I thought he wasn't at his best today and made some poor decision makings but he always kept asking for the ball.

Hibs07p
30-12-2013, 04:00 AM
I too, wanted him subbed, just prior to his goal, he looked slow trying to get past his man and lost possession a lot of the time. If he guarantees you a goal a game and a goal scoring delivery from a corner, we can afford to have that "luxury". I was delighted he scored, but would still have subbed him. It's all about opinions.

GGTTH

ManBearPig
30-12-2013, 03:04 PM
The call 'taxi for cairney' entirey unwarranted and had to say enjoyed his celebration when he scored. I thought one of my previous favourite players Robertson had an off day with a lot of misplaced passes. But don't believe shouting for his head would've helped any.

Opinions eh?

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I too, wanted him subbed, just prior to his goal, he looked slow trying to get past his man and lost possession a lot of the time. If he guarantees you a goal a game and a goal scoring delivery from a corner, we can afford to have that "luxury". I was delighted he scored, but would still have subbed him. It's all about opinions.

GGTTH

Who in the SPFL gets into your teams "guaranteeing" a goal a game? Cuckoo!

Hibs07p
30-12-2013, 04:18 PM

I think you misunderstood me. If he had been producing the goods consistently over a period of time, that "luxury" could be accommodated and accepted. I know he's not long back from injury and regaining fitness, but at only 1 goal up, I felt he was becoming a liability as the game went on, and would have preferred another RM with fresher legs who could provide an attacking and a defensive option. What's Cuckoo about that?

GGTTH

Hibs07p
31-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Not so cuckoo after all?

I think you misunderstood me. If he had been producing the goods consistently over a period of time, that "luxury" could be accommodated and accepted. I know he's not long back from injury and regaining fitness, but at only 1 goal up, I felt he was becoming a liability as the game went on, and would have preferred another RM with fresher legs who could provide an attacking and a defensive option. What's Cuckoo about that?

GGTTH

GGTTH

theonlywayisup
08-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Are we missing Paul Cairney? Probably not as Watmore did well today, but he could have been a good player to bring on for the last twenty minutes. Pity he was suspended.

theonlywayisup
08-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Thought he was good again today. IMO he has been key to most of our good moments since the Boxing Day game against Ross County.

Well done, Paul.

greenlex
08-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Thought he was good again today. IMO he has been key to most of our good moments since the Boxing Day game against Ross County.

Well done, Paul.I thought for every good thing he did today he did as much if not more poorly. I don't think he has the ability to play at the highest level in Scotland. Fenlon took a punt on him and it hasn't worked for Hibs IMHO. I will be surprised if he is in Butchers plans going forward.

Ronniekirk
08-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I thought for every good thing he did today he did as much if not more poorly. I don't think he has the ability to play at the highest level in Scotland. Fenlon took a punt on him and it hasn't worked for Hibs IMHO. I will be surprised if he is in Butchers plans going forward.

He may well not be in butchers long term plan and agree with your post ,but he gives us some impetus going forward

Zazu62
08-03-2014, 09:17 PM
He played well today like .

O'Rourke3
08-03-2014, 10:48 PM
He was a better player second half but first half could neither tackle or win a header. Stephen McManus "skinned" him on the half way line to allow then to create the first goal (aided by our of inability to take throw ins). He doesn't always release the ball soon enough - when he does guys like Heff can capitalise. He's frustrating

Sent from my brain via Tapatalk

LaMotta
08-03-2014, 11:10 PM
I thought for every good thing he did today he did as much if not more poorly. I don't think he has the ability to play at the highest level in Scotland. Fenlon took a punt on him and it hasn't worked for Hibs IMHO. I will be surprised if he is in Butchers plans going forward.

At least he is capable of doing good things though. Top of the assists chart two seasons in a row, despite missing large chunks of both years.

truehibernian
08-03-2014, 11:54 PM

This 100% - he'll be gone in summer.

Paloschi
09-03-2014, 01:28 AM

Sorry but that is the biggest load of rubbish. He creates goals, don't you want that? He makes an impact when he plays and is our most creative and direct player. I hope he is offered a new deal. Of course he is good enough

Waxy
09-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Give him a new contract. A good attacking player.

theonlywayisup
09-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Sorry but that is the biggest load of rubbish. He creates goals, don't you want that? He makes an impact when he plays and is our most creative and direct player. I hope he is offered a new deal. Of course he is good enough

Bizarre isn't it. A player who has been key to most of our good moments this season, yet some fans want him out. He is not the perfect player, he makes mistakes, but look at his assist/goal record. I hope he stays.

weonlywon6-2
09-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Bizarre isn't it. A player who has been key to most of our good moments this season, yet some fans want him out. He is not the perfect player, he makes mistakes, but look at his assist/goal record. I hope he stays.

i the derby i thought he was great,just kept getting the ball and wanting to go forward with it

B.H.F.C
09-03-2014, 08:25 AM

I find it a wee bit strange as well. He's inconsistent, certainly. He's had a couple of shockers, yes. But he's capable of doing something when he's on form. My mate made a good point yesterday that since he's been at the club the two best runs of results that Butcher and Fenlon have had coincided with him being in the team. Not saying that's down to him single handedly but it is worth pointing out. The thing that I find a wee bit strange is the level of praise other players that have played in a wide position have received for industry work rate etc in comparison to the praise Cairney receives (or doesn't) when what he did had a major affect on the game yesterday.

The_Horde
09-03-2014, 08:35 AM
How many assists does Paul have now? Must be a fair few.

Paul just seems to have something about him that defenders don't like, he's not the quickest but he can certainly go past a player. I'd keep him next season.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2014, 08:46 AM
A player that can get past a man at ER? It will never catch on.

There was a time when an unpredictable but talented chance maker was always going to be a feature of a Hibs team. Cairney out O'Brien in.

Hibstrooper
09-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Cairney certainly has something that a lot of our other players don't and when he plays well is a real asset. However the most telling thing is that this thread lays dormant for 3 months in between decent performances.

Every game is a cup final for Cairney now, if he has any chance of getting a new deal he needs to put together a run of good performances. Yesterday was a start however all that's done is earn him a place in the team for the next game, he needs to play well in that game too and show between now and the end of the season he can play well consistently at this level which so far he has failed to do.

banchoryhibs
09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I think that he is too inconsistent. He was good in patches yesterday but I thought that he hid from time to time. Maybe this is a confidence thing but I did not see someone bursting a gut 100% of the game and, just now, that's what's needed. I think that Butcher will move him on in the summer.

Waxy
09-03-2014, 10:18 AM
I'd rather have inconsistant than constantly bad.

edwards
09-03-2014, 10:22 AM
I find it a wee bit strange as well. He's inconsistent, certainly. He's had a couple of shockers, yes. But he's capable of doing something when he's on form. My mate made a good point yesterday that since he's been at the club the two best runs of results that Butcher and Fenlon have had coincided with him being in the team. Not saying that's down to him single handedly but it is worth pointing out. The thing that I find a wee bit strange is the level of praise other players that have played in a wide position have received for industry work rate etc in comparison to the praise Cairney receives (or doesn't) when what he did had a major affect on the game yesterday.

:top marks

Butcher appears to get the best out of him and he was sidelined because of illness apparently, I thought that was the best 45 minutes of football we have seen for a few weeks. Thought Cairney was in with a shout of MOM.

greenlex
09-03-2014, 10:33 AM
At least he is capable of doing good things though. Top of the assists chart two seasons in a row, despite missing large chunks of both years.

I find it a wee bit strange as well. He's inconsistent, certainly. He's had a couple of shockers, yes. But he's capable of doing something when he's on form. My mate made a good point yesterday that since he's been at the club the two best runs of results that Butcher and Fenlon have had coincided with him being in the team. Not saying that's down to him single handedly but it is worth pointing out. The thing that I find a wee bit strange is the level of praise other players that have played in a wide position have received for industry work rate etc in comparison to the praise Cairney receives (or doesn't) when what he did had a major affect on the game yesterday. Is it wrong to want better than he offers? He has had far more poor games than good ones. We have paid top dollar for a management team and scout that I hope will deliver better than Paul Cairney. I think the lack of creativity we have endured for a number of years now has dulled the senses here. He is not good enough for top flight football based on his performances for Hibs. If this is the standard we want to settle for then I despair.

blackpoolhibs
09-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I think that he is too inconsistent. He was good in patches yesterday but I thought that he hid from time to time. Maybe this is a confidence thing but I did not see someone bursting a gut 100% of the game and, just now, that's what's needed. I think that Butcher will move him on in the summer.

Which is the problem with most of our team. I said in another post that whatever permutation we play, they all have the capabilities to play really well and really badly, thats why most of them need punted.

We have far too many players who are just not good enough, the league tables tell the real story every season.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Is it wrong to want better than he offers? He has had far more poor games than good ones. We have paid top dollar for a management team and scout that I hope will deliver better than Paul Cairney. I think the lack of creativity we have endured for a number of years now has dulled the senses here. He is not good enough for top flight football based on his performances for Hibs. If this is the standard we want to settle for then I despair.

Of course it's not. I just think he offers more than some players that will likely be retained.

Onion
09-03-2014, 11:09 AM

:agree: PC is a really frustrating player. In far too many games, he looks disinterested, doesn't work nearly hard enough, and in many instances is a complete liability. I've lost count of the times he loses the ball in midfield, exposing us to counter-attack, when a simple pass or cross was needed. However, when his confidence is up and he actually gives a ****, he can be our most effective attacker and adds a lot to the team. Sadly, in our current team he's too much of a luxury when we need 11 interested players on the field.

The Sea-gull
09-03-2014, 12:03 PM
No harm to PC he is ok but we need to look at getting better than him in if we really want to push on next season. He'd get nowhere near the starting line ups of Aberdeen and Motherwell and as this is where we should be aiming for next year then he should not be someone we are looking at, not for first XI. Dundee United were supposed to be keen in him though I don't think he is good enough for their starting line up. Maybe they are looking to take him as a squad man. He might go there and do well like John Rankin has but it's not working for him at hibs after 2 seasons so for me it is time for him to go.

ekhibee
09-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I think he's borderline as far as getting a new deal at Hibs is concerned. I agree with the comments about his consistency, but he's good going forward, chips in with a few goals and quite a few assists. He's not the fastest but has a fair bit of skill IMO.There's quite a few worse players than him at Hibs, but the thing that I'm wondering is that just how much Butcher will have to spend in the close season, because if there's a mass clearout as a lot of people on here are predicting, how much money will we make from that? Cairney might be one of these players that is worth keeping, even just as a squad player.