PDA

View Full Version : Bill Alcorn, R.I.P.

invisible man
26-12-2013, 12:13 PM
The Trustees, Committee and members of The Hibs Club were saddened to hear of the death of Bill Alcorn, who passed away peacefully this morning after a short illness.

Many of our members knew Bill as a constant presence in The Hibs Club - serving as a committee member for over 30 years, many of them as our longest serving General Secretary.

Hibs and The Hibs Club were two of the great passions of Bill's life and he was dedicated to ensuring the club at Sunnyside prospered and was enjoyed by members and visitors.

Many of our members and committee are grateful to Bill for introducing them to The Hibs Club and for the warm welcome he always gave, whether working on the door on match days, on his 'duty' nights, his contributions to our Player of the Year nights or simply when he was enjoying the club socially, most often on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons.

The Club's appreciation for Bill's hard work over the years was shown at a packed reception held to mark his retirement - along with his close friends Frank Dougan, Hugh Coyle and Alan Wilson - from the committee.

Bill remained a regular in the club until recently when his illness was diagnosed and quickly took its toll. Just a couple of weeks ago his presence and singing prowess were much missed at our most recent Christmas dinner for our pensioner members.

It was a mark of Bill's unique place at Sunnyside that his passing will be keenly felt by so many of our members and his friends in Leith, throughout Scotland and internationally.

Our thoughts are with Bill's family at this sad time.

Glory Glory.

Virginia Hibs
26-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Sad news. I was on the Hibs Club committee with Bill and last met up with him a couple of years ago when we travelled back to the cup final. Always willing to chat and a great Hibs man. Condolences and thoughts with the family.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jack
26-12-2013, 12:20 PM
How sad, you missed his wonderful wit and humour.

SMAXXA
26-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Am I right in saying he was a school teacher? If so he used to be my teacher at Ross High, great man RIP

invisible man
26-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Am I right in saying he was a school teacher? If so he used to be my teacher at Ross High, great man RIP

He was indeed.

cabbageandribs1875
26-12-2013, 12:38 PM
remember Bill from decades ago, RIP and condolences to all family and friends

givescotlandfreedom
26-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Bill was one of life's truly good guys. Gutted to hear this - very sad news.

Saorsa
26-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Sorry tae hear this, got tae ken Bill quite well back in the Hands of Hibs days. Still remembered me years later and would say hello if we passed at games. Condolences tae his family and friends.

franks
26-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I learned of his illness recently and spoke to him a couple of months past.

A great hibby and tireless worker at "The" Hibs Club.

My thoughts are with his family particularly his wife.

R.I.P Bill and GGTTH

monktonharp
26-12-2013, 12:56 PM
very sorry to hear of his passing. he was very helpful and cheery to us when we first registered with the association as a branch. will be sadly missed R.I.P

BT58
26-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Very sad news,,Bill spoke at my mates funeral years ago
genuine guy,,will be missed by all who knew him
R I P

Hibrandenburg
26-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Sad sad news! Bill was not only a stalwart Hibby and genuine great bloke but also my old man's best mate until he died a few years back. I always made a point to stop at the club whenever I was back and Bill always made me and my companions feel like honoured guests.

My thoughts go out to Margaret and his family. I'd like to say RIP Bill but I know there'll be one hell of a party going down on the other side now.

Hibbie_Cameron
26-12-2013, 01:11 PM
He taught my sister, brother and myself at Ross High.

He was a great teacher and a lovely man. Always said hello when i went into the Hibs Club

RIP Bill

soupy
26-12-2013, 01:15 PM
RIP Bill Alcorn, I remember my sister had her surprise 21st many moons ago down Sunnyside, Bill was on the front door, and when she turns up asked her if she was here for the 21st birthday party upstairs, lol..

FranckSuzy
26-12-2013, 01:24 PM
RIP Bill Alcorn, I remember my sister had her surprise 21st many moons ago down Sunnyside, Bill was on the front door, and when she turns up asked her if she was here for the 21st birthday party upstairs, lol..

:greengrin

RIP Bill.

Berwickhibby
26-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Devastated to hear of the passing of Bill Alcorn, Bill was a great guy, a great Hibby and a great friend. My thoughts are with Margaret, R.I.P Bill God Bless GGTTH

Swedish hibee
26-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Sad news. RIP.

ronaldo7
26-12-2013, 03:40 PM
RIP Bill.

A Great General Secretary of the Hibs Club, and a Great man.

Thoughts and prayers with his family at this sad time.

wazoo1875
26-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Very sad to read this news. R.I.P. Bill , you were a character alright.
My thoughts are with your family tonight :aok:

Flanny boy
26-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Rip bill.a good man and hibee who always made you welcome
whether you had saw him the day before or not for many years
condolences to bills family.once again rip my fellow hibernian,bless you

Stantons Angel
26-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I was so sad to hear recently of Bill's illness and now his passing.

Id known Bill for many many years from being a member of Hawkhill branch and General Secretary of the Hibs Supporters Association and of course a great Hibs supporter.

Over the years he worked tirelessly for the Association and brought about better lines of communication with the football club itself. I know he was well thought of by many of our managers and the Chairman as a honest hard working man who was helpful and modest at the actual work he put in for the cause.

Being a teacher Bill had a sense of authority about him and and empathy with those who needed help, which he was always willing to give. Over the past few years the Hibernian family have lost a few of their well known stalwarts in Maude McFarlane, Walter Robb, Gordon "Flash" Smith and Michael McGhee.

I know from my own involvement that Bill gave his time to help and make sure the likes of Maude and Flash were well cared for was always there for them both as he was for Wattie and when Michael passed too.

His kindness to these great Hibbies was given willingly and by doing this made their last days as comfortable as possible.

My thoughts at this sad time go to Margaret and his daughter and i hope God gives them strength to get through this sad time.

RIP Bill and thanks for the many memories you have been part of.

GGTTH!

Roxyhibee
26-12-2013, 09:02 PM
I remember at the 2007 Player of The Year night at Sunnyside, a week before the CIS Final, Bill read a cup final message directly to Benji in French in front of the whole packed hall. Was a really good funny moment and Benji was p!ssing himself laughing.

Must have maybe had some affect on him after his 2 superb goals 7 days later on a magical day.

RIP Bill.

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
26-12-2013, 09:10 PM
RIP Bill.

Jonnyboy
26-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Rip

Heedersnvolleys
26-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Mine too, regi teacher!

i think it took me to about 4th year before I knew he was a Hibee! Then he was my favourite teacher:wink:

Last Minute
26-12-2013, 10:03 PM
R.I.P.BILL a true Gentleman and one of the reasons I joined the commitee at the time with the Hibs club. will never forget you bill. have great memories at your house at new year. what a party we had. you were a true gentleman and always had Hibs running through your veins.

sleep well my friend. miss you.

Kev

brog
26-12-2013, 10:12 PM
My Dad died 2 years ago, at that point I had been away from Edinburgh for over 30 years & had only seen Bill occasionally on my fairly irregular visits home. Bill turned up at my Dad's funeral. That's the kind of guy he was & we're all the poorer for his passing. Hopefully Watty will have a pint waiting for him!

East Coast Hibe
26-12-2013, 10:42 PM
RIP Bill. A great guy who always had a word for everybody at the club. I was also at Brian Blaney's funeral a few weeks ago. He was an old friend of Bill's and another long standing member of the Hibs Club

Forza Fred
26-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Sad news indeed!

Bill and I go way back - to the early seventies when he', as a fledgling council 'member of the Hibs club, 'got me barred for six weeks for allegedly refusing to drink up at closing time!

I left Auld Reekie for Sydney not long after that but we always kept in touch and were always friends, to the extent that whenever I returned to see the Hibees, Bill and I always got together for lunch, notwithstanding the many pints we would also share in the Hibsclub.

He was a good friend to the Australia branch during its foundation, and did a power of work throughout the Hands Off Hibs campaign.

To this day one of my proudest possessions is a letter from Bill from those dark times, thanking me for my efforts in the campaign.

During more recent visits Bill always used to have us in stitches when he recounted how he had 'died' previously when he collapsed during a tribute at the Hibsclub to Frank Sauzee I think it was, only to luckily be brought back to life by a doctor who was thankfully present.

He did however, have great difficulty in getting rid of those cigarettes..

I last had a beer with Bill during my last visit 6 months ago, just after we beat hearts 2-1 at Tynecastle.

It was in the Hibs club, although this time he had managed to swap the tobacco for one of those electronic cigarette thingos.

As someone else said, we have lost a lot of Hibs stalwarts recently, and Bill was certainly one of those.

Condolences to all family and friends, and it will be strange on my next visit to Auld Reekie , not to get to meet up with Bill.

Bill and his dry sense of humour will be missed, but this and his kindness won't be forgotten.

TomTheHibbyBev
27-12-2013, 01:05 AM
R.I.P.BILL a true Gentleman

Brooster
27-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear this. He was my teacher at Ross High where he was well respected. RIP Bill.

Hibiza
27-12-2013, 03:30 PM
R.I.P Bill.

HKhibby
27-12-2013, 03:57 PM
I learned of his illness recently and spoke to him a couple of months past.

A great hibby and tireless worker at "The" Hibs Club.

My thoughts are with his family particularly his wife.

R.I.P Bill and GGTTH

Sad news, i met Bill Alcorn a few times years ago, a few around the hands of hibs time, and a few times later when i used to go to Edinburgh a couple of times a year at least.

But my main time of remembering him from was the hands of hibs time and a couple of years later, dont think he would have remembered me laterally, as not been to the Hibs club for years, but a very genuine man and such a Hibs man through and through!, not to mention the service he gave to the Hibs club as well, you are all right he will be missed by lots of people.

sadtom
29-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Sad news.
Rip Bill.
GGTTH

invisible man
10-01-2014, 04:37 PM
A lovely message that Bill's close friends in the Czech Republic wanted to share here:

Bill was our best friend and we are glad for wonderful 36 years full of never ending parties and funny moments since Rožnov to now.
We will never forget!
Lelic´s family and friends from Czech

FranckSuzy
10-01-2014, 05:11 PM
A lovely message that Bill's close friends in the Czech Republic wanted to share here:

Bill was our best friend and we are glad for wonderful 36 years full of never ending parties and funny moments since Rožnov to now.
We will never forget!
Lelic´s family and friends from Czech

:aok: The Australian Hibs Supporters (especially Fred L) send their best wishes to the family too. Donation made to Cancer Research, as per the family's request, also.

Future17
15-12-2020, 12:34 PM
I thought some of you may be interested in this BBC Sounds programme on Sunshine on Leith. Bill's wife, Margaret, is a contributor and speaks well about what the song means to her, her family and the community.

Ross Wilson from Blue Rose Code also speaks very well of his East Stabd memories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q9f5

green with envy
15-12-2020, 02:28 PM
I thought some of you may be interested in this BBC Sounds programme on Sunshine on Leith. Bill's wife, Margaret, is a contributor and speaks well about what the song means to her, her family and the community.

Ross Wilson from Blue Rose Code also speaks very well of his East Stabd memories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q9f5

There's a thread already been posted up this morning with a link to this. VG, right enough.

Lago
15-12-2020, 04:53 PM
I didn't know Bill, but the tributes to him on here are truly wonderful. R. I. P.

Crammond Hibee
15-12-2020, 08:00 PM
R.I.P. my friend

Berwickhibby
16-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Bill was a great guy, a great Hibby and my friend, R.I.P Bill .... I bet you are rocking heaven with you Neil Diamond songs.