PDA

View Full Version : Your smartphone of choice

lyonhibs
26-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Having succumbed to literally years of badgering from mates, I finally got my 1st touchscreen "smartphone" at the ripe old age of 28. Those few of you "fortunate" enough to be my Fbook friend are probably aware of this fact by now :greengrin

Sony Xperia M, £140 SIM free from Phones4u so it can work in Switzerland. Runs like a dream so far and relatively intuitive to use.

What does everyone else have? iPhone vs Android debate will be forthcoming I imagine..... :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
26-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I've got an Xperia too and find it very convenient to use. Couldn't tell you what model it is, probably because it's the phone that's the smart one in this relationship.

Gatecrasher
26-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I have a samsung galaxy s3 but if I was due an upgrade I would get the new nexus.

danhibees1875
26-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I've been on the xperia s for almost 2 years now. Was top of the range when I got it but has proven very problematic over the last year or so. I'll get my upgrade options in February...

For what its worth, I'm sure its not widespread amongst the Sony phones. :wink:

EDIT: after saying that, it froze and turned itself off. I think it was listening to me haha

danhibees1875
26-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I've been on the xperia s for almost 2 years now. Was top of the range when I got it but has proven very problematic over the last year or so. I'll get my upgrade options in February...

For what its worth, I'm sure its not widespread amongst the Sony phones. :wink:

brianmc
I have a samsung galaxy s3 but if I was due an upgrade I would get the new nexus.

I've got the Nexus 5 , it's superb.

easty
iPhone 5s for me.

Jack
26-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I've become a Samsung slag the way ifolk are bitches for their phones!

I think there's no argument between which phone is best as you canny slip a fag paper between them all, performance wise.

I like the way everything talks to each other; my Samsung tab 1, 2 and 3 (I did say I was slaaaaag :-), my Samsung camera, my Samsung galaxy s4, my Samsung smart telly and even my Samsung external hard drive - although that's a hard wired job just now.

Gatecrasher
26-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I've got the Nexus 5 , it's superb.
Will have to wait for next year to get one, I like that you get the updates right away rather than waiting for samsung to make their amendments first.

brianmc
26-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Good point. I previously had the Galaxy Nexus and even at the end of my 2 year contract the software was bang up to date.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Galaxy s4.

Love it.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Galaxy S4 mini.

Like it.

Jay
26-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Galaxy S4 mini.

Like it.

Me too, great phone for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mr White
26-12-2013, 05:51 PM
S4 but I think I preferred my s2 which it replaced last month. S4 seems a bit slower and is just a bit too big. Probably should have gone for the s4mini.

Peevemor
26-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Xperia here. Works fine for me.

sleeping giant
26-12-2013, 06:26 PM
HTC desire. I think its excellent. So much so that when I broke my last one , my boss told me to get a new upgraded model but I bought the very same one I had.
Does everything I need and has an outstanding camera.

Sergio sledge
26-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Nokia Lumia 920, it's a fantastic phone and I love windows phone 8.

SteveHFC
26-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Xperia Z:top marks

Hibs Class
26-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Galaxy S4 mini.

Like it.

Is the mini any different from the full size S4 other than the size?

Sir David Gray
26-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Is the mini any different from the full size S4 other than the size?

The S4's camera and battery life is better and the S4 has a better memory as well.

I've never worked the S4 so I couldn't pass comment on how good it is but the S4 mini is a good phone and would be good enough for most people, I would imagine.

Hibs Class
26-12-2013, 08:37 PM
The S4's camera and battery life is better and the S4 has a better memory as well.

I've never worked the S4 so I couldn't pass comment on how good it is but the S4 mini is a good phone and would be good enough for most people, I would imagine.

Cheers. My daughter's on a PAYG blackberry just now and I've been looking at an inexpensive smartphone for her. S4 mini was on the short list, thought it looked quite decent.

Sir David Gray
26-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Cheers. My daughter's on a PAYG blackberry just now and I've been looking at an inexpensive smartphone for her. S4 mini was on the short list, thought it looked quite decent.

I had a Blackberry until I upgraded in October to the S4 mini.

It's like night and day compared to the Blackberry.

I highly recommend it.

Pete
27-12-2013, 12:24 AM
I have had an Xperia U for the last year and a half and It's been a love hate relationship. It looks the business, works well most of the time and I got it on an unbelievably cheap contract. The photos on Sonys are also good quality.

However, it tends to switch itself off and on randomly and the camera is slow to react. The android OS crashed and I had to do a hard reset, erasing all my contacts. I'm still annoyed about the jelly bean update which took away all my widgets and gave me a lot more crap on my app screen.

If you don't mind android then try one of the better Xperia models as they match up to the Samsungs.

I have an iPad and my next phone will definitely be an iPhone of some description. IOS is a lot more user friendly and just feels better and I don't think I'll go back to android. From now on I suppose it's in for a penny, in for a pound and I'd better get used to getting my wallet out.:rolleyes:

HiBremian
01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Bit the bullet back in August and got my first smartphone. Had to be sim-free and dual-sim so's I can have my UK and German SIMs running together, so ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy Y Duos. Generally speaking it's been good, but it's taken ages to get to know the logic behind when it's downloading mobile data from which of the 2 sims :confused:

One thing that has me really stumped, though, is upgrading the Android OS. I'm a Mac person otherwise, and iPad system upgrades on iOS are simples. But it seems getting this phone upgraded from Gingerbread to ICS involves all kinds of geeky rooting etc. And the Y Duos needs upgrading - key apps are stuck on the meagre internal memory with Gingerbread and badly need to be shifted on to the SD card. So if there are any Hibby Android Experts out there.......:cb

kdhibees1
04-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Galaxy s3 Mini for me, it's a decent wee phone. It phones, texts and runs apps, just like them outrageously overpriced iPhones. It cost me 160 notes and my new contract for buying it separately is 11 poond a month for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data.

H18sry
04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/3495265/galaxy-s5-release-date-rumours-leaked-images/?cmpid=HTML-DN030114&olo=daily%20news

Galaxy s5 due for release in March :wink:

The_Todd
04-01-2014, 06:21 PM
iPhone 5 which works in perfect harmony with my iPad and MacBook Pro. I'm not going to start Android baiting as I've never used one so can't comment but I would need a very very good reason to switch. As for comments about overpriced, I only paid £25 for my handset, and that was last January when iPhone 5 was the latest model.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2014, 10:48 AM
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/3495265/galaxy-s5-release-date-rumours-leaked-images/?cmpid=HTML-DN030114&olo=daily%20news

Galaxy s5 due for release in March :wink:

I'm on a SIM only contract with a Galaxy S2. I'll keep an eye on this and maybe I'll upgrade, although, in truth, I can't think of anything else I need my phone to do.

lyonhibs
22-01-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm on a SIM only contract with a Galaxy S2. I'll keep an eye on this and maybe I'll upgrade, although, in truth, I can't think of anything else I need my phone to do.

:agree: I think - for most people - phones (unless we are getting into the realms of those ridiculous "phablet" things - are fast approaching the "terminal technology" content level.

Mine is totally middle of the road model that is a good few months old and it does everything I want it to and I'm probably only using about 20% of its capability.

Hibee Ryan
22-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Got the iPhone 4s and I really like it... Does everything I need and I just find Apple make it easy for me to updates and everything.

It's also good to show off eh :wink:

Peevemor
22-01-2014, 09:33 PM
:agree: I think - for most people - phones (unless we are getting into the realms of those ridiculous "phablet" things - are fast approaching the "terminal technology" content level.

Mine is totally middle of the road model that is a good few months old and it does everything I want it to and I'm probably only using about 20% of its capability.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "terminal technology" thing., but if you think that the technology won't advance much more then I reckon you couldn't be more wrong. You only have to look at how much technology has advanced in the last 10 years (especially in terms processing power and communications).

The world's getting faster and faster, which personally I find quite daunting.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Are there many people like me who want a mobile phone to be just that, a telephone that I can carry around to call folk and receive calls and send texts? No other feature really interests me to be honest.

Lincoln Green
23-01-2014, 09:32 AM
My Galaxy Note 2 is fantastic. It does everything I need and much more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

lyonhibs
23-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the "terminal technology" thing., but if you think that the technology won't advance much more then I reckon you couldn't be more wrong. You only have to look at how much technology has advanced in the last 10 years (especially in terms processing power and communications).

The world's getting faster and faster, which personally I find quite daunting.

Au contraire, mon ami, what I meant was that - as you say - as technology gets faster, more advanced, can do umpteen new things, I think that - most people anyway - will reach (or indeed are reaching/have reached) a point where the latest extraordinary thing your phone can do will rather wash over them and remain relatively unused because, ultimately, whilst getting e-mails/checking in for my flight and faffing about on Fbook is quite cool, do I really need my smartphone to cook my dinner for me via a satellite connection whilst I'm starting a plane journey 600 miles away?? (or whatever - although that would be pretty cool :greengrin)

lord bunberry
23-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Au contraire, mon ami, what I meant was that - as you say - as technology gets faster, more advanced, can do umpteen new things, I think that - most people anyway - will reach (or indeed are reaching/have reached) a point where the latest extraordinary thing your phone can do will rather wash over them and remain relatively unused because, ultimately, whilst getting e-mails/checking in for my flight and faffing about on Fbook is quite cool, do I really need my smartphone to cook my dinner for me via a satellite connection whilst I'm starting a plane journey 600 miles away?? (or whatever - although that would be pretty cool :greengrin)

What you describe probably happened to me around 2 years ago, I use my phone for phoning, texting, emails, taking photos and a few of the apps like the calculator or the calander. Most of the newer features on my phone I just don't use. When my contract is up later this year I will probably won't bother going with the latest phone on the market and save myself a few quid.

Jack
23-01-2014, 02:53 PM
What you describe probably happened to me around 2 years ago, I use my phone for phoning, texting, emails, taking photos and a few of the apps like the calculator or the calander. Most of the newer features on my phone I just don't use. When my contract is up later this year I will probably won't bother going with the latest phone on the market and save myself a few quid.

I've been the same but I have a feeling phones have a built in obsolescence. That is that at around 18 months things start going wrong and at 2 years become frustrating as they start to fall down about their ears. To make matters worse the phone makers and providers stop maintaining them through updates the more modern the phone the more likely they will die a death of a thousand glitches.
Of course there will be some that seem to go on forever but I suspect these will be the exception rather than the rule.

lord bunberry
23-01-2014, 04:33 PM
I've been the same but I have a feeling phones have a built in obsolescence. That is that at around 18 months things start going wrong and at 2 years become frustrating as they start to fall down about their ears. To make matters worse the phone makers and providers stop maintaining them through updates the more modern the phone the more likely they will die a death of a thousand glitches.
Of course there will be some that seem to go on forever but I suspect these will be the exception rather than the rule.
Your right mate, I've had my phone 18 months now and it's started playing up recently. I would go for a sim only deal if I thought my phone would last for a while, but I suspect it won't.

BroxburnHibee
23-01-2014, 04:52 PM
My Galaxy Note 2 is fantastic. It does everything I need and much more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't agree more

matty_f
24-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm still using a galaxy s2 but will upgrade in a couple of months. I think it's a great phone, can't think of anything that i would want my phone to do that it doesn't do.

TRC
29-01-2014, 01:55 PM
looking for bit of advice been looking around for phones without contract under £200. Been looking at the Moto G which has great reviews has anyone used one and thought it was as good as the reviews would lead me to believe. thanks in advance

cabbageandribs1875
29-01-2014, 02:11 PM
looking for bit of advice been looking around for phones without contract under £200. Been looking at the Moto G which has great reviews has anyone used one and thought it was as good as the reviews would lead me to believe. thanks in advance

i just got the Moto G(16gb) at tesco yesterday on the advice of my daughters fella, lots of net review sites are raving about it and comparing it to other phones that cost mega-bucks, i was just using my HTC with a £10/month tesco sim card and they upgraded me to the phone as well, all in all i'm paying £12.50 for 24 months :agree: tesco are the cheapest for buying the phone as well, £104 for the 8g and £139 for the 16g..you really have to get the 16g though as the OS alone uses up 3gb(remember it's fixed storeage, but your getting an extra 50G cloud storage free for 2 years), it updates straight away to kitkat as Google own Motorola now(and Android os obviously)...other phones will be waiting quite a while to get the kitkat release :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola-moto-g_Mobile-Phone_review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-1199218/review

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1303792/motorola-moto-g

TRC
29-01-2014, 02:48 PM
i just got the Moto G(16gb) at tesco yesterday on the advice of my daughters fella, lots of net review sites are raving about it and comparing it to other phones that cost mega-bucks, i was just using my HTC with a £10/month tesco sim card and they upgraded me to the phone as well, all in all i'm paying £12.50 for 24 months :agree: tesco are the cheapest for buying the phone as well, £104 for the 8g and £139 for the 16g..you really have to get the 16g though as the OS alone uses up 3gb(remember it's fixed storeage, but your getting an extra 50G cloud storage free for 2 years), it updates straight away to kitkat as Google own Motorola now(and Android os obviously)...other phones will be waiting quite a while to get the kitkat release :)

Thanks for that. so you would recommend it.

cabbageandribs1875
29-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that. so you would recommend it.

MMmmm i honestly don't like recommending things that cost quite a few £££ TRC, we all have different needs what we want a phone for, all i'l say is i trust my lassies fella and i trust all the reviews, for instance if your looking for some high-spec camera and do a lot of photography stuff and all that then there's better out there, as the reviews say that's the part of the phone they compromised on to enable the very good specs in other areas, but it really is a lot of bang for your buck and not just in my opinion) and it's a singe getting everything on your old phone on to this one(inc a great app called 'Motorola Migrate' :agree:

TRC
29-01-2014, 08:23 PM
thanks cabbage, think I'll go for it going amazon route as I'm in sweden where electronics are a bit more pricey.

Speedy
30-01-2014, 12:14 PM
As of yesterday I'm on the Galaxy S4 mini.

I reckon I got a good deal from mobiles.co.uk:
O2 Smartphone £22 750MB 24m
24 Months 600 mins
Unlimited texts 750MB data Save £154 cashback by redemption £15.58
Per month
£22.00 before
cashback

EskbankHibby
31-01-2014, 10:22 AM

Stumbled across this thread yesterday after i had bought one with the 250mins/unlimited texts/500mb for £12.50pm.

It was after reading this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4825826&page=21

but it's nice to see the positive reviews being reinforced on those other links you provided. Interesting to note that up until yesterday Motorola was owned by Google but they have now been sold to Lenovo.

Might be the end of cost-effective high-ish spec smartphones for a while.

The Pointer
01-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Nokia Windows phone, the last model, not the current all singing all dancing version. Very pleased with it as it's intuitive to use and takes decent photos - unless you try to zoom in when clarity deteriorates. It also came with its own black protective case.

Only thing that gets on my thrupennies is the fact you can't plug in and download pictures to a PC which I think is plain weird. You have to download onto a thing called Zune which is where my eyes start to get heavy.

Future17
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm still using a galaxy s2 but will upgrade in a couple of months. I think it's a great phone, can't think of anything that i would want my phone to do that it doesn't do.

I'm still on the S2 and the only thing wring with it is that it keeps asking me me what I want to do. Out loud. From my pocket. In lifts.