PDA

View Full Version : David & Jamie Derby.

Thecat23
22-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Horrific news today for both Hibs and Hearts. 2 young guys taken way before their time.

I'd like to see us put a tribute to both these guys for the new year derby. Rivalry means nothing, it's football after all and a game both these lads would no doubt have been in the stands watching their teams battle it out.

The boys are heartbroken and now is a time to be what we are meant to be, a family club. Any ideas would no doubt be welcomed by the club.

Let's show what football is about and give those lads a tribute they surely deserve.

LancashireHibby
22-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm sure the two clubs will put something together, but maybe something for the Sect43 types maybe in conjunction with any like minded types over the road? Things like this really put things in to perspective.

Thecat23
22-12-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm sure the two clubs will put something together, but maybe something for the Sect43 types maybe in conjunction with any like minded types over the road? Things like this really put things in to perspective.

It does mate, I've a lot of hearts friends who have text me about David and said how sad it is for both clubs today. This time of the year is about families and sadly two families will have a gap left at their Xmas table and an even bigger one in their hearts.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Both clubs have home fixtures before the derby and may do their own thing? Would be fitting for something to be done at the derby regardless though

Pretty Boy
22-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm always off the opinion these things are far 'better' (i use the term loosely) if they are kept quite low key.

A well observed minutes silence and a few kind words about both young lads by the announcer pre game is about right.

Just my opinion.

nonshinyfinish
22-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Both clubs have home fixtures before the derby and may do their own thing? Would be fitting for something to be done at the derby regardless though

I think that a simple banner at the derby, remembering both of them, would be appropriate.

Hibercelona
22-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm always off the opinion these things are far 'better' (i use the term loosely) if they are kept quite low key.

A well observed minutes silence and a few kind words about both young lads by the announcer pre game is about right.

Just my opinion.

I agree. I know the derby is just over a week away, but I think we should wait a few days before discussing tributes of any kind.

Diclonius
22-12-2013, 07:49 PM
A minute's silence prior to the derby would be appropriate.

Leishy1995
22-12-2013, 07:50 PM
I think this derby coming, that if we Hibs fans plan to pay tribute, we should also cut out the Wallace Mercer chants.

I do think however, both clubs fans should show respect together on what is the highlight of the season for most. My opinion off course

hibee
22-12-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree. I know the derby is just over a week away, but I think we should wait a few days before discussing tributes of any kind.

Totally agree, way too soon to start discussing this.

half.time.draw.
22-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Jamie had left hearts and was ayinv for my boys team. Tynie 14's. Lasted five minutes. God bless him.

hibeeleicester
22-12-2013, 11:10 PM
A flag that manages to pass round all 4 stands would simply be enough.

Jonnyboy
22-12-2013, 11:37 PM
A flag or banner tribute would be very fitting as would both sets of fans leaving their normal vitriol towards each other at home

yeezus.
23-12-2013, 12:54 AM
A flag that manages to pass round all 4 stands would simply be enough.

Excellent idea, it will be fitting to put rivalry aside on January 2nd, such tragic news.

Centre Hawf
23-12-2013, 02:08 AM
I think it would be a nice touch if we could agree with them that we make and hold a banner for Jamie Skinner while they hold one for David Paul.

Would show a bit class that tragedy overpowers rivalry.

Greencore
23-12-2013, 02:43 AM
I think it would be a great gesture from both clubs if the hibs players wore a maroon armband and the hearts players wear a green armband to show respect.

jodjam
23-12-2013, 07:02 AM
This has been an awful weekend for the 2 families. And these are the important people just now. I'm not sure about a derby tribute. For young David I hope the club ask the family about a mins applause or silence. Then it would be fitting if every hibs employee joined in with this on the pitch before the killie game.

Then for the tynie kid it would be nice to make a little piece on him in the hearts match programme.

EdinMike
23-12-2013, 07:31 AM
I think it would be a great gesture from both clubs if the hibs players wore a maroon armband and the hearts players wear a green armband to show respect.

What a fantastic idea !

Houchy
23-12-2013, 08:03 AM
I've had a hearts supporting friend of mine suggesting the same, and asking me to gauge interest from us Hibs fans.

cocopops1875
23-12-2013, 08:14 AM

What a fantastic idea !

I've had a hearts supporting friend of mine suggesting the same, and asking me to gauge interest from us Hibs fans.

I think this would be a lovely Touch or a Ribbon in the opposite teams colour, I also think for a silence the players should stand Hibs, Hearts, Hibs, Hearts Together :flag:

MacBean
23-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Everyone remembers the 96 tribute at goodison park last season. Rivalry put to one side for the rememberance of those that have sadly had their lives taken from them.
I'm sure Hibs and hearts could collaborate something fitting to show that there are bigger things than the rivalry and that in hard times fans come together in unity.

stevenhibs
23-12-2013, 08:29 AM
I remember man united and man city wearing retro strips one season and donating the cash to charity.

Might be too short notice but it would maybe be nice for the clubs to wear versions of the home shirts on the year of the lads birth then auction them or something like that.

Hibercelona
23-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't really agree with the whole "bringing Hibs and Hearts closer together" idea.

That's not what this is about. It's about 2 young boys that tragically lost their lives. It would have been equally as tragic if they have no associations with either club at all.

The focus should be soley on the 2 boys and have nothing to do with Hibs and Hearts fans trying to showcase what a great bunch of pally rivals we all are.

It's not about us and everything about the 2 boys. Lets just keep the focus on them.

cocopops1875
23-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I remember man united and man city wearing retro strips one season and donating the cash to charity.

Might be too short notice but it would maybe be nice for the clubs to wear versions of the home shirts on the year of the lads birth then auction them or something like that.

Another Belter of an idea :thumbsup:

Alfred E Newman
23-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't really agree with the whole "bringing Hibs and Hearts closer together" idea.

That's not what this is about. It's about 2 young boys that tragically lost their lives. It would have been equally as tragic if they have no associations with either club at all.

The focus should be soley on the 2 boys and have nothing to do with Hibs and Hearts fans trying to showcase what a great bunch of pally rivals we all are.

It's not about us and everything about the 2 boys. Lets just keep the focus on them.

Good point.
Sometimes these occasions can be hijacked with the best of intentions. It does underline how unimportant football rivalry really is though and how fate can wield a mighty blow when we least expect it.
I would imagine the club will ask the supporters to show their respects before next Saturdays game against Kilmarnock and that would be appropriate.

Keith_M
23-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I think both clubs will do something as a tribute to these young lads. What would be really good to see is that each side does a tribute to BOTH kids.

I'd personally love to see that happening and reckon it would show a touch of class on the part of the clubs.

AndyM_1875
23-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Yesterday was the worst day for both Edinburgh clubs in living memory.

I think the coloured armbands are a good idea. Hibs to wear maroon ones and Hearts to wear green ones.
Respectful and dignified for both clubs followed by a minutes silence.

Perhaps it could be put to the Hearts folk too.

cocopops1875
23-12-2013, 09:01 AM

I have read back through this and cant find anyone suggesting the bit you Quoted :confused:
As for the rest i agree its all about the Laddies But i Think the fact they both have an link to our clubs is important and probably the reason we should have a tribute.
As For the "Hibs and Hearts fans trying to showcase what a great bunch of pally rivals we all are" i really dont think you get the point that for a Couple of Mins before a game we could come together and remember/show respect to a couple of laddies lost in their prime, Thats not saying we are Pals just that sometimes there are bigger things than a petty point scoring rivalry, And regardless of what we might spout most of the time we are all much the same

lucky
23-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Condolences to both families but I think we should show our respect for David on Sunday. If the Yams do something similar on Boxing day for Jamie. Then we can move on from these tragic events sooner. Not that I'm being dismissive of these events. But don't think waiting 3 games is the correct thing to do.

Thecat23
23-12-2013, 09:21 AM

With all due respect, you have missed the point completely. Of course its about the two lads and that's what a tribute is about. To show how much it effects a club when this happens. It's defo not about being all "pally" with Hearts but just be nice to see something before/during the game. Mins applause or silence or banner. Even the armband thing is a good idea.

Either way it's about the lads and nothing will change that.

Www1875hfc
23-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm sure both clubs will consult the families regarding a fitting tribute to both the young lads.

Some of the idea's listed are tremendous and should be taking into consideration.

Even if both sets of players wore T.shirts with the respective names on the back during the pre match warm up, and duely handed them to fans at all four sides of the stadium.

Hibiza
23-12-2013, 11:23 AM
David & Jamie . R.I.P

Andy74
23-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry of I've missed something but thought the young guy was with Tynie not Hearts?

Peevemor
23-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Sorry of I've missed something but thought the young guy was with Tynie not Hearts?

He only recently left Hearts.

son of haggart
23-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I think the armbands idea is good and a minute's silence for both

Just a thought but perhaps the armbands could be maroon one half and green the other

Judas Iscariot
23-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I think the armbands idea is good and a minute's silence for both

Just a thought but perhaps the armbands could be maroon one half and green the other

Good shout :agree:

RIP David & Jamie

23-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Definatly the clubs need to come togther for a joint tribute to both the boys on the 2nd. Rivalry goes out the window when two young lads have so tragically lost their lives so young.

Thecat23
23-12-2013, 01:00 PM

He'd been with Hearts for a year I think before just being let go.

Moulin Yarns
23-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Regardless of what the clubs do, I propose the whole stadium stand and applaud from the 13th to the 18th minute, while chanting their names. The times reflect their young ages.

Broken Gnome
23-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Fine line between commemorating two young boys in a dignified way, and doing something that is disproportionate and thoughtless.

Remember 99% of people hadn't seen David Paul play. Singing his name would come off as a bit false. Token banners, armbands, tshirts and a minutes silence/applause would be far more appropriate than any OTT and sustained gesture

seven nowt
23-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Definatly the clubs need to come togther for a joint tribute to both the boys on the 2nd. Rivalry goes out the window when two young lads have so tragically lost their lives so young.

Not for me it doesn't.

It does put things into perspective and is tragic, but I will be going to the derby very much wanting to win just like any other derby.

Leishy1995
23-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Not for me it doesn't.

It does put things into perspective and is tragic, but I will be going to the derby very much wanting to win just like any other derby.

Nobody is saying they don't want to win, it's more that we don't have any vile hate filled chanting or abuse back and forth.

For what it's worth, I'd love a young lad to score for us against them. The winner which will be our boys remembering him.

23-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Not for me it doesn't.

Aww of course it stilll doesn't change my feelings towards hearts and of course I want us to hammer them on the 2nd. All I ment was that before the game, both sets of fans together pay tribute to both the youngs lads, regardless of our rivalry with hearts we will pay tribute to the hearts boy and vise versa with them.

Centre Hawf
23-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I think something as subtle as the opposites armbands would be a lovely touch. Still have our minutes silence on Sunday as like someone mentioned 3 games is a long time to wait to pay respect, but the armbands on derby day would be perfect to show that we can come together in these situations. Also if we did end up having a minutes silences for both lads on the 2nd i liked the idea someone mentioned of standing Hibs, Hearts, Hibs, Hearts during it.

Doesn't have to be over the top to send the right message and remember the two young lads.

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2013, 08:08 PM

I kind of get what you mean Hibercelona and you are totally correct that this tragedy would be no less a tragedy if either lad had no connection with the clubs .. But they did and in my opinion it would be remiss of us to overlook that. In my opinion I dont think the "pally rivals" thing is what folk would be trying to put across.

Everybody knows Hibs & Hearts bloody hate each other and thats not going to change any time soon. But perhaps that makes a joint tribute even more poignant, by showing that even though the rivalry is at times poisonous we can still be clear headed enough to acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things football, Hibs, Hearts and whatever doesnt amount to a hill of beans. Would that not be a fitting tribute?

For my tuppence worth it would be nice if the matchday programme had both lads on the front cover.

Geo_1875
23-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I kind of get what you mean Hibercelona and you are totally correct that this tragedy would be no less a tragedy if either lad had no connection with the clubs .. But they did and in my opinion it would be remiss of us to overlook that. In my opinion I dont think the "pally rivals" thing is what folk would be trying to put across.

Everybody knows Hibs & Hearts bloody hate each other and thats not going to change any time soon. But perhaps that makes a joint tribute even more poignant, by showing that even though the rivalry is at times poisonous we can still be clear headed enough to acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things football, HiHearts and whatever doesnt amount to a hill of beans. Would that not befitting tribute?

For my tuppence worth it would be nice if the matchday programme had both lads on the front cover.

Two things. Why should Hibs delay any tribute to David until the derby? And should any other young people who die between now ans d then be included?

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Two things. Why should Hibs delay any tribute to David until the derby? And should any other young people who die between now ans d then be included?

Your first question:
I never said they should ..... but as both clubs have a connection to the kids involved in this double tragedy I dont see any harm in some sort of tribute being made at the derby over and above the next home game, a match which it would be reasonable to think had some meaning to both of these young lads.

Your second question:
You are aware I presume that this debate has arisen because the two lads involved were connected to us and Hearts. If that was not the case a public show of sympathy at the football wouldnt be a factor ...... as you very well know.

23-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Everybody knows Hibs & Hearts bloody hate each other and thats not going to change any time soon. But perhaps that makes a joint tribute even more poignant, by showing that even though the rivalry is at times poisonous we can still be clear headed enough to acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things football, Hibs, Hearts and whatever doesnt amount to a hill of beans. Would that not be a fitting tribute?

Totally agree, anybody loosing their life at such a young age is tragic regardless of who they were. But like you say, both boys had a connection to hibs and hearts respectively so the derby is a perfect opportunity for both clubs together to pay tribute to them both. I still hate hearts with a passion but like you say, two young lads have lost their lives and at times like this football rivalry takes a back seat and both clubs can do something together to pay a tribute of some sort.

Andy74
23-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Totally agree, anybody loosing their life at such a young age is tragic regardless of who they were. But like you say, both boys had a connection to hibs and hearts respectively so the derby is a perfect opportunity for both clubs together to pay tribute to them both. I still hate hearts with a passion but like you say, two young lads have lost their lives and at times like this football rivalry takes a back seat and both clubs can do something together to pay a tribute of some sort.

David Paul was a Hibs player and goes without saying we should do something at our next game and or next home game. I think something at third game we play would be prolonging things for the family and team mates?

The other lad I think the link to Hearts is a little tenuous and he was very young in a football sense. If they wish to mark their respect they again have games before we play.

The ideas are well intentioned but I'm not sure the derby is the place for this for a few reasons.

SurferRosa
24-12-2013, 12:04 AM

I agree.

Pete
24-12-2013, 04:57 AM
I think we will both have some kind of tribute connected to the two players players before our next home matches.

Anything done during the derby should be a more low-key, subtle thing. The two boys on the front cover of the program is a fantastic suggestion and related articles within it would be perfect. Another silence would be like repeating it for the sake of it.

The fantastic sentiments from both our clubs and the mutual good wishes on social media restore your faith. I think the rivalry has changed and intensified recently and that's no doubt down to the online revolution. People can interact with who they want instantly and therefore groups of people can do the same resulting in a vocal, vitriolic minority attracting lots of attention and defining a rivalry.

If anything, all these suggestions should be congratulated as they are almost an act of defiance against how our modern rivalry is perceived. I laugh when people say that we are nothing like them, or vice-versa. To the outside world we are just the same daft animals wearing different colours and I couldn't agree with them more.