PDA

View Full Version : Players you liked but who never made it at ER

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Browsing the excellent http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/ site I came across a player's name that got me to thinking, what player caught your eye but never quite made it at Easter Road?

The player in question was Hugh Hamill, a midfielder signed from Balloch Juveniles in 1980. Reminded me of Alex Cropley a bit. Same sort of stature and same fearlessness in the tackle and able to pick out a good pass. Unluckily for him, he suffered a hairline fracture in his leg and dropped out of the team as a result. Never made it back again as a change in manager from Willie Ormond to Bertie Auld saw him fall out of favour. Only played 12 times for the club. Amazingly, only one of those games was a defeat!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6266

Anyone else got memories of such a player?

zlatan
21-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Barry Lavety.

Time For Heroes
21-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Paul Hartley

:D

Elephant Stone
21-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I've never met anyone who rated Abdel Zarabi, I genuinely thought he was going to be good.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Barry Lavety.

Basher made 72 appearances for Hibs but clearly never managed to stop eating pies :greengrin

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 09:27 PM
I've never met anyone who rated Abdel Zarabi, I genuinely thought he was going to be good.

One of a very few players with a Z surname to play for Hibs

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_list_az.php?page=Z

zlatan
21-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Basher made 72 appearances for Hibs but clearly never managed to stop eating pies :greengrin

First name on the back of my shirt. Then he seemed to grew into bigger sizes faster than I did :boo hoo:

Jonathan Baillie would be another I suppose. Injuries hampered what looked like becoming a very promising career.

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Did Kevin Mcallister ever really make it as a Hibs player? He was a brilliant wee attacking winger but at the time the "tracking back" duties he was asked to perform reduced his effectiveness and ultimately totally sickened him.

Engels74
21-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Fabian Yantorno

O'Rourke3
21-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Brian Kerr among others. I remember seeing him playing for Scotland then Newcastle not long after. I thought we'd signed a genius. Scoring in 2 minutes "over there" too. How wrong.....

jacomo
21-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Wee Jamie McCluskey

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Fabian Yantorno

Injury hampered his Hibs career and Kevin Thomson got slaughtered on here for a perfectly fair but hard tackle on him in his comeback game.

Engels74
21-12-2013, 09:47 PM
also Hakim Sar Temsoury

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Did Kevin Mcallister ever really make it as a Hibs player? He was a brilliant wee attacking winger but at the time the "tracking back" duties he was asked to perform reduced his effectiveness and ultimately totally sickened him.

126 appearances GB and my memory tells me the vast majority were first class!

green.and.white
21-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Fabian Yantorno

Came on to say this

brog
21-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Alex McGregor, Willie Temperley, Bobby Hutchison.

BroxburnHibee
21-12-2013, 09:59 PM

When I was Head Chef at Hibs JC, I got a message that McLeish wanted to have a chat with me about the players lunches. First words out his mouth - "please stop putting pies on the menu as Basher likes them too much" :greengrin

True story :agree:

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Renwick Sanderson. I personally knew the man. 63 goals iincluding 11 hat tricks in 39 games for Hibs ( mainly reserve team football) A remarkable record nevertheless. He featured at the time of the Famous five hence his struggle to feature in the first team.

Greencore
21-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Jay shields

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 10:07 PM
When I was Head Chef at Hibs JC, I got a message that McLeish wanted to have a chat with me about the players lunches. First words out his mouth - "please stop putting pies on the menu as Basher likes them too much" :greengrin

True story :agree:

And totally believable :greengrin

Renwick Sanderson. I personally knew the man. 63 goals iincluding 11 hat tricks in 39 games for Hibs ( mainly reserve team football) A remarkable record nevertheless. He featured at the time of the Famous five hence his struggle to feature in the first team.

Sanderson played against Hibs in the famous 15-1 match against Peebles Rovers. At that stage he had scored a stunning 520 career goals!!

NGP
21-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Paul Wright. That tackle wrecked his Hibs career.

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Sanderson played against Hibs in the famous 15-1 match against Peebles Rovers. At that stage he had scored a stunning 520 career goals!!

Correct. The man was your original working class hero.

Hiber-nation
21-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Browsing the excellent http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/ site I came across a player's name that got me to thinking, what player caught your eye but never quite made it at Easter Road?

The player in question was Hugh Hamill, a midfielder signed from Balloch Juveniles in 1980. Reminded me of Alex Cropley a bit. Same sort of stature and same fearlessness in the tackle and able to pick out a good pass. Unluckily for him, he suffered a hairline fracture in his leg and dropped out of the team as a result. Never made it back again as a change in manager from Willie Ormond to Bertie Auld saw him fall out of favour. Only played 12 times for the club. Amazingly, only one of those games was a defeat!

I remember watching Hugh in the reserves and thinking that he was going to be a fantastic player for Hibs. Can hardly remember him in the first team mind you but some of the games were a blur in these days :wink:.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I remember watching Hugh in the reserves and thinking that he was going to be a fantastic player for Hibs. Can hardly remember him in the first team mind you but some of the games were a blur in these days :wink:.

:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
21-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Liam Miller

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Paul Wright. That tackle wrecked his Hibs career.

Neil Berry - animal :agree:

essexhibee
21-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Fabian yantorno for me aswell. Felt for the guy with his injury.

Wheat Hound
21-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Jason Gardiner

capitals_finest
21-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Paul Lovering.

Liked the guy, always thought he was a bit like a left sided version of Willie Miller. Was sorry to see him moved on...

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 10:35 PM

Johnny - Renwick's goalscoring achievements are second to none and I gather that they are about to be highlighted by a west of Scotland based journalist

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Paul Lovering.

Liked the guy, always thought he was a bit like a left sided version of Willie Miller. Was sorry to see him moved on...

McLeish said of Lovering that he was a super player until he crossed the line coming out of the tunnel at the start of the game :greengrin Apparently PL had memory problems and kept forgetting he was meant to play at left back. Having said all of that I liked PL with his energy and non stop style

tamig
21-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Remember seeing Hugh Hamill in a League Cup tie away to Alloa and he was outstanding. Slim boy but hard as nails in the tackle.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Johnny - Renwick's goalscoring achievements are second to none and I gather that they are about to be highlighted by a west of Scotland based journalist

Would be great to read of his exploits :agree:

tamig
21-12-2013, 10:44 PM
McLeish said of Lovering that he was a super player until he crossed the line coming out of the tunnel at the start of the game :greengrin Apparently PL had memory problems and kept forgetting he was meant to play at left back. Having said all of that I liked PL with his energy and non stop style
There were a few great players in that Clydebank team and I think McLeish should have went for Gary Teale rather than Lovering. He also signed Tom Smith from the Bankies and he was another player who did really well for us but had his career cut short through injury.

James70
21-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I saw Lee Bailey in the final of the BP Cup against Dundee Utd early 1990s and thought he was a great prospect despite his size but unfortunately he looked completely out of his depth in the few 1st team games he played.

Golden Bear
21-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Would be great to read of his exploits :agree:

I'll arrange it! Long after his Hibs career was finished he regularly "bussed it" between Peebles and Edinburgh to watch the Hibees - an unsung legend if ever there was.

Billychaotic182
21-12-2013, 10:53 PM
John Rankin
Jay Sheilds
Makalamby
Konte
Callum Booth(still time)
Sean Welsh
Kurtis Byrne
Jimmy Scott

Liked all of them but it didn't work for them here

capitals_finest
21-12-2013, 10:54 PM

:greengrin I genuinely thought he was a decent player

jacomo
21-12-2013, 11:18 PM
John Rankin
Jay Sheilds
Makalamby
Konte
Callum Booth(still time)
Sean Welsh
Kurtis Byrne
Jimmy Scott

Liked all of them but it didn't work for them here

Loved that guy. :thumbsup:

Ronniekirk
21-12-2013, 11:21 PM
But he scored a great goal against hearts at Easter road in the same game Kevin Harper scored an equally good goal in

zlatan
21-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Aye, big Maka wasn't as bad as folk remember, although still not great. Everyone has those great wee memories from obscure games and one of mine was him time wasting away to Hamilton and constantly giving the fans behind him a wee wink and thumbs up every time he got away with it.

Just a pity the vast majority of his howlers were in big games. If he had come in any time other than post Simon Brown/Zibi he would have got a lot more time to develop.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-12-2013, 11:46 PM
My aunt and uncle stayed through near Paisley for a few years when I was a wee boy. Used to go through to stay for the weekend quite often. My uncle would take me along to Love St each time just so we had a game to watch. I actually loved Barry Lavety and was proper excited when we signed him. He seemed to score in every game I went to through in Paisley. Got 'Lavety 7' on the back of my Hibs top. It was before the days of squad numbers and he had played a few diff numbers for us. Met him at one of the open days and got him to sign my top. He said "Number 7? You might have been better getting number 14 the way I'm playing at the moment!"lol. He scored a few good goals for us. Hearts at home and Morton away in the last min of our first Div 1 game come to mind.

lord bunberry
22-12-2013, 12:14 AM
I really hoped allan obrien was going to be the next big thing, but we all know how that ended, of the homegrown players I liked greame donald.

BSEJVT
22-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Pat Carroll

Willie Murray

Kenny Davidson

Billy McEwan

Diclonius
22-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Kevin McBride - after his injury our season fell apart.
Joe Keenan - thought he would come good for us until he missed from about 3 yards against St Mirren.

ginger_rice
22-12-2013, 09:41 AM
I'd go with Graeme Donald too I worked beside both of his brothers and had great hopes for free tickets for ER!!

And of course there was Johnny Hazel who didn't reach his full potential

jimmyboco1875
22-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Paco luna

Galahibby
22-12-2013, 10:10 AM
I always liked Stephen Dobbie and thought the abuse he always got from those around me was a bit harsh :dunno:

One Day Soon
22-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Neil Berry - animal :agree:

Berry was instructed specifically and deliberately from the Hearts bench to hammer to Paul Wright. I remember watching them doing it and picking out the player to Berry. Within a couple of minutes he'd crocked him. One of the most disgusting things I've seen on the field at a football match.

magpie1892
22-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Jamie Carter...

:wink:

Thief
22-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Someone else mentioned Willie Temperley. I always remember he had a fantastic wee turn and flick, which he used to great effect to skin many a defender. At the time, it was fairly unusual in scottish football, but unfortunately, after a few games, the opposition knew it was coming :-(
Some good memories on this thread tho :-)

cmcd
22-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Peebles Rovers record goal scorer

Jonnyboy
22-12-2013, 10:46 PM
There were a few great players in that Clydebank team and I think McLeish should have went for Gary Teale rather than Lovering. He also signed Tom Smith from the Bankies and he was another player who did really well for us but had his career cut short through injury.

Believe it or not I once asked McLeish why he hadn't signed Teale and he said he didn't think Teale had the stamina for top flight football!

#FromTheCapital
22-12-2013, 10:55 PM
The one and only Jean-Marc Adjovi Boco :smokin

Or Akpo 'Dodgy' Sodje

Bronson
22-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Vaz Te

FranckSuzy
22-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Emilio Bottiglieri. Or maybe it's because I liked his name? :confused: :greengrin Nah, thought he looked a great player at the time :agree:

edinburghhibee
22-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Tony rougier for me I remember watching him turn defences inside out... Then fall on his arse and never get back up again :(

Squealing pig
22-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Tony rougier for me I remember watching him turn defences inside out... Then fall on his arse and never get back up again :(

Was going to post tony rougier also agathe, Craig Brewster and Willie temperly stays in my street likes to flick back a good few beers nowadays

frazeHFC
22-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Kevin McCann.

Always liked him, had a stormer at centre mid against Rangers when he scored that peach, but injuries soon ruined his chances.

lord bunberry
22-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Kevin McCann.

Always liked him, had a stormer at centre mid against Rangers when he scored that peach, but injuries soon ruined his chances.

I'll never forget that game against the sheep when jc played him at centre half

RIP Bestie
23-12-2013, 01:19 AM

I remember Hamill and thought he could be a good player, but come on. Crops? Never. Hamill looked not bad in a **** Hibs team Crops was great in a brilliant one

Hibercelona
23-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Jay Shields and Jamie McCluskey spring to mind.

Eggchaser
23-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I thought Ian Cameron was a great player, and was delighted when we signed him. I got that one, along with many others, very wrong.

Stevie Reid
23-12-2013, 12:14 PM
126 appearances GB and my memory tells me the vast majority were first class!

:agree:

How anyone can remember Crunchie as anything other than the exciting winger that he was, is beyond me - sold by Duffy for a pittance (£25K) whilst he paid out £100K for Paul Tosh as his replacement. McAllister then carried on doing the business for Falkirk for years, whilst Paul Tosh...

Ryan91
23-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Alan O'Brien

:duck:

Golden Bear
23-12-2013, 12:31 PM

How anyone can remember Crunchie as anything other than the exciting winger that he was, is beyond me - sold by Duffy for a pittance (£25K) whilst he paid out £100K for Paul Tosh as his replacement. McAllister then carried on doing the business for Falkirk for years, whilst Paul Tosh...

Crunchie was an absolutely fantastic player there's no doubt about that whatsoever.

When he first signed for us he was strictly an all out attacking player but he was encouraged to undertake "tracking back" duties and imo we lost some of his attacking skills in the process. I can recollect the look on the guy's face when he was coached (bawled at) for supposedly neglecting the defensive side of the game.

He was the type of player that was worth the admission money just to watch his skills but whether Hibs, as a Club, got the best out of him is debatable.

Bishop Hibee
23-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Danny Lennon. Just not quite good enough but always gave 100% and scored a great last minute winner v Aberdeen in a game in which he was MoM.

Miller ruined Graeme Donald by playing him Centre Half. A bit like Yogi with Wetherspoon being moved to right back.

MrRobot
23-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Alan O'Brien. Just kept waiting for him to play well. Never happened.

Stevie Reid
23-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Danny Lennon. Just not quite good enough but always gave 100% and scored a great last minute winner v Aberdeen in a game in which he was MoM.

Miller ruined Graeme Donald by playing him Centre Half. A bit like Yogi with Wetherspoon being moved to right back.

Was just about to mention Lennon, was really surprised he was sold so early. IIRC he scored the 3rd in a 3-1 win over Aberdeen that day, he was dynamite - we were considered genuine title challengers at that point, and lost a controversial game away at Ibrox the following week.

FWIW I though Wotherspoon's best spell at Hibs was at RB, apart from a brief spell at RM at the start of last season.

Golden Bear
23-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Was just about to mention Lennon, was really surprised he was sold so early. IIRC he scored the 3rd in a 3-1 win over Aberdeen that day, he was dynamite - we were considered genuine title challengers at that point, and lost a controversial game away at Ibrox the following week.

FWIW I though Wotherspoon's best spell at Hibs was at RB, apart from a brief spell at RM at the start of last season.

In his early days when he broke into the first team.

He was brimming with confidence, seemed to have a turn of pace, wasn't afraid to take on an opponent (he had some great step overs) and generally looked like a brilliant all round prospect.

Allant1981
23-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I really liked justin skinner, just never seemed to kick on and then he left

Spike Mandela
23-12-2013, 12:57 PM
When Mixu signed Jonatan Johannsen I was quite excited. Despite being in twilight of his career he was still a regular scorer at domestic and indeed International level. In fact did he not score against Germany around the time he signed for us? Anyhow, didn't work out too great did it.:rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
23-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I really liked justin skinner, just never seemed to kick on and then he left

Martin McIntosh was a decent player around that time as well.

BH Hibs
23-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Graeme Love coz I went to school with him. And also Mark McGraw and Calum Milne

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2013, 02:43 PM

I dinnae think he was anywhere near as good for us as he was for Falkirk although he did have a few good games. I really don't think he wanted to be here.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I remember Hamill and thought he could be a good player, but come on. Crops? Never. Hamill looked not bad in a **** Hibs team Crops was great in a brilliant one

I didn't say he was as good as Cropley, I said he reminded me of Crops in terms of his stature and fearlessness in the tackle.

JustSimplyHibs
23-12-2013, 02:53 PM
For some strange reason i always liked David Farrell, just liked the way he tackeled and when he scored his first ever goal for Hibs it was like he had just scored the winner in a Scottish Cup final, now that was funny.

Also thought Paul Wright was a decent player, think we got him from St Johnstone for £80k. Justin Skinner, Stephen Dobbie, Jay Shields were other players i liked but never really got a chance.

Billy Whizz
23-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Sean Lynch and Mark Dempsie

Both were good young players and I thought they were going to make it at Hibs

howdenthehibby
23-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Lyndon Andrews and Antonio Murray, both played their part in two famous victories for the Hibees:flag:

superfurryhibby
23-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Isaak Refvik probably would have been a star for us. I remember being gutted when he didn't get the work permit.

In more recent times (all relative) I felt surprised that Paul Lovering and Justin Skinner never really got the chance in the SPL, both seemed decent players.

I agree with folks observations on Kev McAllister. He should have been a star at Hibs! Lexo seemed to prioritise caution and McAllister lost a huge part of his effectiveness.

Brian Welsh and Martin McIntosh were also disappointing. Both came with a decent footballing pedigree and never really cut it with us. Stevie Crawford probably comes into the same bracket.

blaikie
23-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Ross Chisholm

ancient hibee
23-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Sanderson announced in the Saturday paper that he had a plan to shackle Baker.Hmmm.

Jock Buchanan the ultimate reserve team striker but also the scorer of a very significant first team goal.

18/03/07
23-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Daryll Duffy,if i remember he broke his foot in training before he got a game for us.
Junior Aggo great name but another Calderwood flop

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I thought that Chris Reid was a great prospect and thought he would go on to replace Goram. Kevin McKee was another fine player that never seemed to recover after that day at Ibrox.

Bobby's Cinema
23-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Craig Rocastle I liked. Although I see at age 32 he is now playing indoor soccer in the USA!

tamig
23-12-2013, 05:52 PM
For some strange reason i always liked David Farrell, just liked the way he tackeled and when he scored his first ever goal for Hibs it was like he had just scored the winner in a Scottish Cup final, now that was funny.

Also thought Paul Wright was a decent player, think we got him from St Johnstone for £80k. Justin Skinner, Stephen Dobbie, Jay Shields were other players i liked but never really got a chance.
Paul Wright came from QPR. He was sacrificed for Keith Keith and looking at Paul Wright's record after leaving us, I still wonder if we got the best bit of that deal. Dundee got the very best of Keith in my opinion, though he did serve us well.

tamig
23-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I thought that Chris Reid was a great prospect and thought he would go on to replace Goram. Kevin McKee was another fine player that never seemed to recover after that day at Ibrox.

Whats the Ibrox game you're talking about?

mrdependable
23-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Berry was instructed specifically and deliberately from the Hearts bench to hammer to Paul Wright. I remember watching them doing it and picking out the player to Berry. Within a couple of minutes he'd crocked him. One of the most disgusting things I've seen on the field at a football match.

I remember that too. I was across the pitch and could see what was going on. Sickening

hibbeedavid
23-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Sean Lynch I always liked thought he'd be with us longer

Kevin McCann unlucky with injuries as if not I could have seen him doing what Stevenson has for us

Jay Shields I liked but I have to admit I just couldn't see him lasting long

Martin McIntosh seemed to be a good signing and had a decent half season before getting sent off at Tynie barely seen after, even Dirk Lehmann was chosen at CH ahead of him!

David Wotherspoon first 6 months was immense, showed pace, skill and could hit a ball then seemed to totally stagnate for next 2/3 years

Andy McNeil was always going to be judged harshly as a result of clowns who proceeded him, wasn't worst GK ever, not the best either!

Antonio Murray another one unlucky with injuries

Darren McCormack thought we were going to have a right good defender with him knocking back Celtic's advances etc unfortunately wasn't to be

Pretty Boy
23-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I always remember thinking Scott Bannerman had something about him but he never really showed it.

Antonio Murray would have done more at Hibs without the injuries imo.

Oumar Konde had a decent pedigree but was a bit so so at Hibs.

SteveHFC
23-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Doyle

Wotherspoon

Sodje

Palsson

Francomb

Vaz Te

Tom Hart RIP
23-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Billy Findlay. Alex Miller said that he was the best young player he had ever seen,but he never quite made it. I remember one game in particular against Celtic however when he was outstanding, playing in front of the back four. He controlled the game and looked phenomenal but the next week he was back to normal.

Jonnyboy
23-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Billy Findlay. Alex Miller said that he was the best young player he had ever seen,but he never quite made it. I remember one game in particular against Celtic however when he was outstanding, playing in front of the back four. He controlled the game and looked phenomenal but the next week he was back to normal.

:agree: Miller put his money where his mouth was re Findlay as he gave the lad a 5 year contract.

Mr White
23-12-2013, 08:12 PM
:agree: Miller put his money where his mouth was re Findlay as he gave the lad a 5 year contract.

According to fitbastats he received no yellow or red cards in 110 appearances. Billy Findlay: Hibs answer to Gary Lineker.

Kind of.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Whats the Ibrox game you're talking about?

85 or 86. Boy ran out on the pitch and attacked him.

Ray_
23-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Johnny Hamilton, I was shocked when we let him go on a free to Rangers. The number 12 in the TT's, but he was unlucky that Hibs had some great wingers in the late sixties and early seventies, then we started signing Graham Fyffe and playing Des Bremner on the right wing [Hibs played him there against Crystal Palace Feb 78 & a young Kenny Sansom gave him a roasting, although Ally Mclead scored two [one chalked off] without reply.

The young Palace fullback was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, although Hibs dominated everywhere else against what was labled as Terry Venables "team of the eighties" [in 1978].

Mibbes Aye
23-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I really liked the look of Lee Currie as he came through the youth side, seemed to specialise in exquisite goals with his left foot. Unfortunately it didn't work out for him, think he's at Berwick now.

Also liked Graeme Love a lot, when he first broke through I thought he might develop into a composed choice at the back. Again, it didn't work out and he had to move on.

Special mention for Andy Dow too. I willed him to be a success for us, kept the faith that he had something to offer us. It never really happened, though he was with us in a genuinely dismal period overall.

givescotlandfreedom
23-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Lyndon Andrews
Damon Gray
Denis Rosa
The mad monk
Tam McManus

Allant1981
23-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Lyndon Andrews
Damon Gray
Denis Rosa
The mad monk
Tam McManus

Did mcmanus not play over 100 games for us?

Jonnyboy
23-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Did mcmanus not play over 100 games for us?

129 games and 23 goals so he doesn't really fit the 'never quite made it' role :agree:

Argylehibby
23-12-2013, 09:49 PM

Aye was out for weeks with food poisoning and came back a stone heavier! :bitchy:

MotherSuperior
23-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Scott Bannerman

I remember seeing him in reserve games and was convinced he was going to break in to the first team and be a top player

frazeHFC
23-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Palsson

Legend after his debut, remember some of us on here saying he was the next Sauzee etc etc. :xlol Thought he was going to be a star, same with a few other players but never quite works out...

craigmounthibby
24-12-2013, 05:17 AM
I remember being at a supporters quiz in the main stand in late 2010 and asked Yogi who the future spine of his team was. He told me:

Edwin De Graaf

David Stephens

Valdas Trakys

I recall needing a strong drink afterwards....

s.a.m
24-12-2013, 07:16 AM
I remember being at a supporters quiz in the main stand in late 2010 and asked Yogi who the future spine of his team was. He told me:

Edwin De Graaf

David Stephens

Valdas Trakys

I recall needing a strong drink afterwards....

Jings. Was that only three years ago? It's been a long three years.....

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Paco luna

Loved that guy!

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Billy Findlay. Alex Miller said that he was the best young player he had ever seen,but he never quite made it.I remember one game in particular against Celtic however when he was outstanding, playing in front of the back four. He controlled the game and looked phenomenal but the next week he was back to normal.

I thought he was bloody awful! :bitchy:

eastmainsmsh
24-12-2013, 02:34 PM
David fellenger and nick Ingram

alan1875
24-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Clayton Donaldson...
Always looked capable... Until he got the ball.
Obviously since, has found his level though.

jgl07
24-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Clayton Donaldson...
He is a lot better than anyone Hibs have up front at the moment.

Postiga
24-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Johnathan bailie..... Remember him having henrik larsson and mark viduka in his back pocket in a 2-1 win in the league cup quarter final at Easter road vs Celtic. KT scoring the winner. Injury cut short his career and I'm sure I read he became a sports journalist soon after.

heidtheba
24-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Danny Lennon - absolutely great game at home against Aberdeen (93/94 I think)
Andy Millen - although, to be honest I never thought he 'didn't make it' - it was just a bad period for us
Paul Lovering - bombing up n down the wing, yes please
Chris Jackson - didn't he have either Gazza or Laudrup in his pocket against Rangers at ER once?

snooky
24-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Dare I mention - Joe Harper?
I thought with him in the squad the Tornados would have some depth.
Alas, his signing was the beginning of the end. :boo hoo:

Tom Hart RIP
24-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I always thought Calum Milne would have made a good holding midfield player. I'm sure we tried him there once against Celtic and he played well.

Jonnyboy
24-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Clayton Donaldson...

He is a lot better than anyone Hibs have up front at the moment.

Clayton was a lot better than many dot net experts gave him credit for

hibbeedavid
24-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Johnathan bailie..... Remember him having henrik larsson and mark viduka in his back pocket in a 2-1 win in the league cup quarter final at Easter road vs Celtic. KT scoring the winner. Injury cut short his career and I'm sure I read he became a sports journalist soon after.

Must have been good to have Viduka in his back pocket in that game as he left Celtic 4 years prior to that night in 2004 :p

But I agree he did look a top quality prospect

Did he not get sent off the next time they came to ER and smacked us 0-4?

Jonnyboy
24-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Think it was Sutton as opposed to Viduka :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
24-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Think it was Sutton as opposed to Viduka :thumbsup:

And less than 10,000 at the game

GoldenEagle
24-12-2013, 07:49 PM
I always thought Calum Milne would have made a good holding midfield player. I'm sure we tried him there once against Celtic and he played well.

Didn't he play there in Anderlect?

Paul McGovern and Stevie Raynes another couple.

Jonnyboy
24-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Didn't he play there in Anderlect?

Paul McGovern and Stevie Raynes another couple.

He did, in the away game and it was arguably his best performance in a Hibs jersey :agree:

Northernhibee
24-12-2013, 07:53 PM
In the end, Nishy

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-12-2013, 07:56 PM
And less than 10,000 at the game

Was that game no live on Channel 5 as part of a short-lived TV deal?

Jonnyboy
24-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Was that game no live on Channel 5 as part of a short-lived TV deal?

T'was aye and it was played a week before Christmas.

After that game I was walking along Albion Road when a car drew level with me and as I looked to see who it was I was met with a dazzling smile, a shout of c'mon the Hibs and a fist pump ...... from Tam McManus :greengrin Tam was a great guy and he loved the Hibs that night, even though he'd supported Celtic as a kid