PDA

View Full Version : Todays Referee

hibsbollah
21-12-2013, 04:30 PM
The worst you've ever seen? Has to be up there for me. A truly astonishing 90 mins of total ineptitude.

Hibercelona
21-12-2013, 04:32 PM
At Easter Road?

Nothing will ever top Alan Freelands "performance" when we were playing Falkirk there.

East Coast Hibe
Absolutely Awful.

A bigger stonewaller I have never seen at the end!!

whereswallace?
The worst you've ever seen? Has to be up there for me. A truly astonishing 90 mins of total ineptitude.

If he was reffing a Sunday amateur game, he would have probably been attacked! Brutal performance from him. His decision to book Robertson for pointing out the wall was nowhere near 10 yards, and then his solution on the problem was to move he ball 1 yard closer to the wall absolutely summed him up.

SaulGoodman
21-12-2013, 04:34 PM
I hope it's pointed out in post match interviews, of course, we're not allowed to talk about the ref like that.

No doubt Sportscene will pedal the 'it's a hard job being a ref' pish

givescotlandfreedom
21-12-2013, 04:35 PM
He was bowfing

Boyle89
21-12-2013, 04:36 PM
At Easter Road?

Nothing will ever top Alan Freelands "performance" when we were playing Falkirk there.

Honestly thought there was going to be a riot that day.

hibee_girl
21-12-2013, 04:36 PM
He was awful, the wall not being 10 yards back was a joke. He ruined the game as he was blowing for fouls every 30 seconds just about. The penalty decision was laughable.

The only thing he got right was the red card. Wotherspoon should have been booked for his tackle not long after the red card but ref bottled it.

Onion
21-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Made a rod for his back with two stupid bookings early on and never recovered. His arrogance at the FK when the wall was quite clearly 7 or 8 yards away (as measured by the Hibs player) was astonishing.

TB/MM and the Hibs team have a lot to thank him for. The ref took the ire of the Hibs fans at the end, rather than the inept Hibs players and management.

Seveno
21-12-2013, 04:38 PM
I heard a guy behind me suggest that Referees should be allowed to be subbed. This one would have got hooked after 15 minutes.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Contributed to a poor game.

Some of the decisions were baffling. I said on the match thread i don't think i've seen a clearer penalty denied than that today. The linesman was right in line too so why he didn't flag i'll never know.

Referees should be far more accountable for performances.

PeeJay
21-12-2013, 04:43 PM
If he was reffing a Sunday amateur game, he would have probably been attacked! Brutal performance from him. His decision to book Robertson for pointing out the wall was nowhere near 10 yards, and then his solution on the problem was to move he ball 1 yard closer to the wall absolutely summed him up.

The referee was indeed truly awful, but I feel he was fully entitled to book Robertson for his dissent/stupidity at the free kick ... I mean does anyone honestly expect the referee to change his decision because a players asks him to (or demands it)?? It could have cost us, our players should be more disciplined ...

... not sure about the penalty claim - I watched it on Hibs tv the pic was not so good, and it was over so fast - it'll be interesting to see that one on the SPL highlights ......

matty_f
21-12-2013, 04:43 PM
He lost control early doors and then was just making error after error trying to get control back.

SaulGoodman
21-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Terry Butcher: 'I won't comment on the performance of the ref, because I don't want to end up in the stand again'

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Utterly horrendous from start to finish. Still can't believe that pen decision. He was right next to it FFS!!! Maybe Lunny should watch ref performances and dish out 2 match bans for being inept

SaulGoodman
21-12-2013, 04:48 PM
The referee was indeed truly awful, but I feel he was fully entitled to book Robertson for his dissent/stupidity at the free kick ... I mean does anyone honestly expect the referee to change his decision because a players asks him to (or demands it)?? It could have cost us, our players should be more disciplined ...

... not sure about the penalty claim - I watched it on Hibs tv the pic was not so good, and it was over so fast - it'll be interesting to see that one on the SPL highlights ......

But at the end of the day, all Robertson did, was walk forward ten yards.

RickyS
21-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Honestly thought there was going to be a riot that day.

i was pretty close to accepting a short stint inside just to get to Freeland that day:greengrin

Brightside
21-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Very poor ref. SFA need to ensure he is put down to lower league football.

brog
21-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Alan Muir has been incompetent for many seasons now. A guy like the infamous Alan Freedland who never at any time looks like he has any understanding or feel for the game of football.

B.H.F.C
21-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Robertson was right though

PeeJay
21-12-2013, 04:55 PM
But at the end of the day, all Robertson did, was walk forward ten yards.

Well, if that's how you choose to view it - it's Xmas time, so it's peace and goodwill to all men - I wont argue the point .. :greengrin

SaulGoodman
21-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Well, if that's how you choose to view it - it's Xmas time, so it's peace and goodwill to all men - I wont argue the point .. :greengrin

Through my green tinted glasses of course :agree:

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2013, 05:19 PM
He got the sending off right, the penalty wrong and Robertson deserved a yellow.

Blaming the ref is much easier than looking at our own performance I suppose.

Worst ever ref performance though?? Not even close.

inglisavhibs
21-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Made a rod for his back with two stupid bookings early on and never recovered. His arrogance at the FK when the wall was quite clearly 7 or 8 yards away (as measured by the Hibs player) was astonishing.

TB/MM and the Hibs team have a lot to thank him for. The ref took the ire of the Hibs fans at the end, rather than the inept Hibs players and management.
So how would you do it better with the current players available. Not great I agree but inept management is over the top.

Twa Cairpets
21-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I almost always defend refs but can't with this guy. I have literally never seen a more stonewall penalty denied. I was at the front bang in line, as was the linesman. Total bottle job.

Gatecrasher
21-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I pay my money to watch 2 teams play each other not watch a referee completely **** up the afternoon, I know sometimes they have to make a decision but to get so many wrong is a joke.

Bronson
21-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I cannot put into words my rage at this guy. Cost us the game with a baffling decision not to give a stonewall penalty and very card happy. Putting the wall 7 yards back then booking robertson for pointing it out summed him up for me.

Scottish officials in general are shambolic, but Alan Muir, you've topped the lot.

Mr White
21-12-2013, 05:41 PM
I almost always defend refs but can't with this guy. I have literally never seen a more stonewall penalty denied. I was at the front bang in line, as was the linesman. Total bottle job.

What are your thoughts on robertsons booking? My opinion is I can forgive a ref a poor judgement call when its made on the basis of an obscured view of a split second incident but not when he has time to check something as simple as whether a wall is 10 yards back.

ancient hibee
21-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure that he got the red card right either.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Nightmare display although Robbo was always going to get a yellow for highlighting Muir's error.

Even Alan 'I hate Hibs' Preston said it was a stonewaller at the end of the game

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Only seen it in real time so can't comment, other than to say the reaction of the Hibs players and bench told its own story

bigwheel
21-12-2013, 06:00 PM
What are your thoughts on robertsons booking? My opinion is I can forgive a ref a poor judgement call when its made on the basis of an obscured view of a split second incident but not when he has time to check something as simple as whether a wall is 10 yards back.

I'm sure Robertson knew he would be booked - ungentlemanly conduct..he was never going to get away with that - even though his point was valid

As for the referee, he was very poor all day, especially on that decision. His refusal to count it out was childlike and arrogant.

eastterrace
21-12-2013, 06:08 PM
i was near the sending off and i thought it was a yellow, maybe from another angle it might have looked worse need to have another look, but as for the ten yards when robertson walked out the ten the ref rushed up to him and showed him the yellow card then the ref walked back to the ball at the spot off the free kick but in doing so he took 10 baby paces to show he was right , he was an arrogant erse

Mr White
21-12-2013, 06:08 PM
His refusal to count it out was childlike and arrogant.

:agree: that was my take on it.

MurrayfieldHibs
21-12-2013, 06:20 PM

How many times have we seen the ugly sisters bossing referees and getting away with it. There was an incident at ER where the ref walked the 10 paces and stopped at the right spot, David Weir took three steps forward and pulled the line up beside him. The ref let them stand there for the free kick.

We usually just roll over when decisions go against us so well done Robertson for making a stand. Anyone that comments that this was "ungentlemanly conduct" is talking bollocks IMO :na na:

The Harp
21-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Today's referee certainly had a shocker. Looked to me like he lost the plot early on then was just making it up as he stumbled along. Maybe my eyes aint working quite as well as they used to but that looked a stone wall penalty from my seat in the FF. Didn't have the best view of the sending off but I wouldn't be surprised if he got that one wrong too.

brog
21-12-2013, 06:44 PM
:agree: that was my take on it.

How many times have we seen the ugly sisters bossing referees and getting away with it. There was an incident at ER where the ref walked the 10 paces and stopped at the right spot, David Weir took three steps forward and pulled the line up beside him. The ref let them stand there for the free kick.

We usually just roll over when decisions go against us so well done Robertson for making a stand. Anyone that comments that this was "ungentlemanly conduct" is talking bollocks IMO :na na:

I remember that clearly, Weir looked straight at the ref daring him to do something & the ref bottled it. I agree its time we as a club stood up, we've been soft touches for far too long.

theonlywayisup
21-12-2013, 06:47 PM
I thought the ref started poorly, then got worse.

The bookings for Collins and Robertson were totally OTT, which then meant players were more concerned about a mistimed challenge that actually playing the game. Around the time of the sending off, I felt the ref had killed the game. Not sure the sending off deserved to be sending off, but difficult for me to see from the FF stand. When will refs realise that it is not them that we pay good money to watch.

Bring back the Maltese refs.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2013, 06:55 PM
the twerp made a rod for his own back by dishing out a yellow to collins so early in the game, i'l watch the 2 mins of 'highlights' to see exactly wtf he was booked for in the first place

JimBHibees
21-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Unsurprisingly that ref was the cheat.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25481250

Manager Terry Butcher expressed concerns about Hibernian's "fear of winning" after a frustrating 0-0 draw at home to St Johnstone. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25376928)

There were loud claims for a penalty in injury time when Collins appeared to have his shooting leg caught by Tam Scobbie, with the Hibs striker saying later it was a "definite penalty".
However, Butcher was not convinced.
"I've looked at it a couple of times and I'm not so sure," was his verdict. "It probably could be given but [referee] Alan Muir had a good view of it."

Jonnyboy
21-12-2013, 06:57 PM
What did Collins actually get booked for? I originally thought the ref blew for the foul when Collins went for a header and then Collins got booked for mouthing off in protest, because I didn't think the foul itself warranted a yellow.

The referee gestured as though it was for the use of an elbow

Weststandwanab
21-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Terry Butcher: 'I won't comment on the performance of the ref, because I don't want to end up in the stand again'I can he was incompetent.

But at the end of the day, all Robertson did, was walk forward ten yards. And suggested the Incompetent could not count to ten...... presumably in English.

Very poor ref. SFA need to ensure he is put down to lower league football.Why should any league put up with that Choob ?

I'm sure Robertson knew he would be booked - ungentlemanly conduct..he was never going to get away with that - even though his point was valid

As for the referee, he was very poor all day, especially on that decision. His ref useful to count it out was childlike and arrogant. It was indeed.

I thought the ref started poorly, then got worse.

The bookings for Collins and Robertson were totally OTT, which then meant players were more concerned about a mistimed challenge that actually playing the game. Around the time of the sending off, I felt the ref had killed the game. Not sure the sending off deserved to be sending off, but difficult for me to see from the FF stand. When will refs realise that it is not them that we pay good money to watch.

Bring back the Maltese refs. Oh yes please.

What did Collins actually get booked for? I originally thought the ref blew for the foul when Collins went for a header and then Collins got booked for mouthing off in protest, because I didn't think the foul itself warranted a yellow. Elbowing the boy in the face according to the incompetent via lip reading !

Sk8lly
21-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I could be completely wrong as well as the folk next to me but Paul Cairney was boooked late on for a trip on the touchline.... it was actually Ryan McGivern that committed the foul, i mean really they look he haw like each other, He was a shocking official.

Also the sending off was right in front off us, It was a yellow and a red was a bit harsh i think.

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2013, 07:38 PM
The incident at the free kick demonstrated everything that is wrong with refereeing in Scotland. Everyone could see the wall was nowhere near 10 yards; probably about 6 or 7. Rather than admit his mistake he decided to adopt the 'I'm the most important person on the park approach' and booked a player for proving out he was wrong. Complete arrogance from the referee.

Kato
21-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Unsurprisingly that ref was the cheat.

Really?

I remember the incident but didn't realise it was him.

Thecat23
21-12-2013, 08:19 PM
At Easter Road?

Spot on, that was the worst I've ever seen. I know Marc Twaddle who played in that game and he said he it was the most hostile atmosphere he's ever seen in any ground in Scotland. Said the Falkirk players were bricking it walking out ER all because of the ref who he said was so bad both sets of players were laughing at the decisions he was given.

Dibben
21-12-2013, 09:12 PM
At Easter Road?

That day will never be topped (hopefully)!

But the ref today was awful...

Saorsa
21-12-2013, 10:36 PM
The worst you've ever seen? Has to be up there for me. A truly astonishing 90 mins of total ineptitude.Absolutely appalling for both sides, I'm struggling tae think of worse

Saorsa
21-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Contributed to a poor game.

Some of the decisions were baffling. I said on the match thread i don't think i've seen a clearer penalty denied than that today. The linesman was right in line too so why he didn't flag i'll never know.

Referees should be far more accountable for performances.If he was held accountable for that he'd never get another game, ever, no even doon the links

monktonharp
21-12-2013, 10:41 PM
The worst you've ever seen? Has to be up there for me. A truly astonishing 90 mins of total ineptitude.he was a right Charlie Brown

matty_f
21-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I could be completely wrong as well as the folk next to me but Paul Cairney was boooked late on for a trip on the touchline.... it was actually Ryan McGivern that committed the foul, i mean really they look he haw like each other, He was a shocking official.

Also the sending off was right in front off us, It was a yellow and a red was a bit harsh i think.

It was definitely Cairney, he'd had a go at the boy about 5 seconds before it as well.

B.H.F.C
21-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Spot on, that was the worst I've ever seen. I know Marc Twaddle who played in that game and he said he it was the most hostile atmosphere he's ever seen in any ground in Scotland. Said the Falkirk players were bricking it walking out ER all because of the ref who he said was so bad both sets of players were laughing at the decisions he was given.

I'm sure he even sent folk off after the final whistle in that game. Scott Brown possibly.. That was the worst I've ever seen but that clown today gave it a good bash at rivaling It.

How can anyone watch someone count out 10 yards in front of thousands of people yet still claim that they are right? Idiot.

LaMotta
22-12-2013, 12:19 AM

An easy decision and one of the only decisions he got right all day.

Billychaotic182
22-12-2013, 12:31 AM
At Easter Road?

Was that the game where he booked a boy as a sub then again when he came on but didn't send him off? If I remember right Yogi was doing all he could to rattle up the hibs fans in the west.

givescotlandfreedom
22-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Was that the game where he booked a boy as a sub then again when he came on but didn't send him off? If I remember right Yogi was doing all he could to rattle up the hibs fans in the west.

That's right I'm sure Mark Venus was told by someone in the crowd about the two bookings and went bananas after that. Yogi was a tool that day and spent more of the game mouthing off into the West than doing his job and then came out with some hilarious banter about the ref playing a blinder after it. Sadly he was just as much of the clown at ER after it.

Calvin
22-12-2013, 01:19 AM
At Easter Road?

Without a doubt the worst ever.

I'm pretty sure that our very own Liam Craig was ejected that day for starting a scrap with our fans when one of their boys went down.

JimBHibees
22-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Really?

I remember the incident but didn't realise it was him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7221872.stm

Yep definitely was he may as well have handed the whistle to Weir. Just read that report really unbiased reporting from BBC, 'game ended on a sour note when McGregor sent off ....... blah, blah,

Another one to add to the endless list of decisions in Hibs games by the cheat.

JimBHibees
22-12-2013, 08:16 AM

That sub was our current captain.

BroxburnHibee
22-12-2013, 08:31 AM
At Easter Road?

I remember a ref called Louis Thow having an absolute shocker in a game at ER v Dundee Utd but Freelands was by far THE worst performance ever.

I remain convinced there was something dodgy going on that day - either that or he was having a breakdown during the game. Will never forget it. Did he no have a shocker in his next game as well and we practically never heard of him again?

147lothian
22-12-2013, 09:17 AM
after all the whisting that clown did, when he didn't at the end and point to the spot summed up his performance:brickwall

Pretty Boy
22-12-2013, 09:23 AM
An easy decision and one of the only decisions he got right all day.

Yep.

Even Tommy Wright said post match that it was a red.

Billychaotic182
22-12-2013, 09:23 AM
That sub was our current captain.

Are you sure? I thought Craig got sent off that day for having a go at the fans in the west stand? I'm sure he made a joke about it when we signed him

jdships
22-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Question !
Why do so many Referees set out to be the centre of attention when every one knows a really good Referee will hardly be noticed.?
I often wonder if people become Referees , Councillors , MSP, MP's purely to feed their ultra ego's ?
Don't know many Ref's but certainly have spent time in the company of a number of politicians and it certainly applies there !!
In my opinion of course :wink::greengrin

GoldenEagle
22-12-2013, 10:32 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/bairns-find-points-amid-red-mist-1-1415459

Relive the memories..

JimBHibees
22-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Are you sure? I thought Craig got sent off that day for having a go at the fans in the west stand? I'm sure he made a joke about it when we signed him

I thought that is what was meant him having an argument with the fans?

snooky
22-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Alas, Mr Muir provided the only bit of true entertainment yesterday.
Pity he forgot the red nose, pointy hat and large flat shoes.

Hibercelona
22-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I remember a ref called Louis Thow having an absolute shocker in a game at ER v Dundee Utd but Freelands was by far THE worst performance ever.

I remain convinced there was something dodgy going on that day - either that or he was having a breakdown during the game. Will never forget it. Did he no have a shocker in his next game as well and we practically never heard of him again?

Indeed.

When the SFA actually do something about it, you know it's got to be pretty bad.

StevieC
22-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Cost us the game with a baffling decision not to give a stonewall penalty

I agree that his decisions were ridiculous, but to suggest that they cost us the game is a bit hopeful. It was our inability to break down a 5 man defence that cost us the game.

My point of view ..

1. Collins yellow - never a yellow card in a million years. Firstly ref tried to say it was for use of the elbow, then tried to say it was for persistent fouling (going by his hand/arm gestures). Collins backs in and there's no doubt it was a free kick, but a yellow card? Never.

2. Robertson yellow - a deserved yellow. It was serious dissent and the yellow card was justified. However, his inability to get the wall back the correct distance was poor, and his inability to correct the situation after it had been made clear to him was even worse.

3. Red card - I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it was a yellow at worst. I've not seen any highlights but my first reaction (from the West Stand) was to say that it was not a red card offence.

4. Penalty - I didn't have a good view of this but looked like Collins was felled as he was preparing to shoot, so I see no reason why he would take a dive. The player reactions seemed to point to a stonewall penalty.

5. General - referee had no control over the game and seemed to be making poor decisions to rectify previous poor decisions. Was never going to give a penalty if there was even the slightest bit of doubt.

Saorsa
22-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I agree that his decisions were ridiculous, but to suggest that they cost us the game is a bit hopeful. It was our inability to break down a 5 man defence that cost us the game.

My point of view ..

1. Collins yellow - never a yellow card in a million years. Firstly ref tried to say it was for use of the elbow, then tried to say it was for persistent fouling (going by his hand/arm gestures). Collins back in and there's no doubt it was a free kick, but a yellow card? Never.

2. Robertson yellow - a deserved yellow. It was serious dissent and the yellow card was justified. However, his inability to get the wall back the correct distance was poor, and his inability to correct the situation after it had been made clear to him was even worse.

3. Red card - I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it was a yellow at worst. I've not seen any highlights but my first reaction (from the West Stand) was to say that it was not a red card offence.

4. Penalty - I didn't have a good view of this but looked like Collins was felled as he was preparing to shoot, so I see no reason why he would take a dive. The player reactions seemed to point to a stonewall penalty.

5. General - refereehad no control over the game and seemed to be making poor decisions to rectify previous poor decisions. Was never going to give a penalty if there was even the slightest bit of doubt.Perhaps it's because of where you were sitting it didnae look like a red, tae me from the east it was a clear red, just about the only thing the useless ******* got right in the whole game. Nae doubt he'll still be ruining another game somewhere next week even efter that appalling performance. I would nae let him ref a game doon the links.

matty_f
22-12-2013, 11:29 AM

My point of view ..

1. Collins yellow - never a yellow card in a million years. Firstly ref tried to say it was for use of the elbow, then tried to say it was for persistent fouling (going by his hand/arm gestures). Collins back in and there's no doubt it was a free kick, but a yellow card? Never.

5. General - referee had no control over the game and seemed to be making poor decisions to rectify previous poor decisions. Was never going to give a penalty if there was even the slightest bit of doubt.

Pretty much how I saw it as well. Some of the decisions were laughable and his assistants did nothing to help him either.

brog
22-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Alan Freedland did make partial amends in the Matty Jack game! :wink: To this day I have no idea why we got that penalty!

Pretty Boy
22-12-2013, 11:58 AM

My point of view ..

1. Collins yellow - never a yellow card in a million years. Firstly ref tried to say it was for use of the elbow, then tried to say it was for persistent fouling (going by his hand/arm gestures). Collins backs in and there's no doubt it was a free kick, but a yellow card? Never.

Tommy Wright said it was a red.

When the players own manager says that i would tend to think the ref got that right.

Skol
22-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Alan Freedland did make partial amends in the Matty Jack game! :wink: To this day I have no idea why we got that penalty!

This was probably the 2nd worst refereeing performance ever - what he allowed Utd to get away with that day was astonishing - only for Hibs to benefit late on. Freeland really was a terrible referee

LaMotta
22-12-2013, 01:13 PM
This was probably the 2nd worst refereeing performance ever - what he allowed Utd to get away with that day was astonishing - only for Hibs to benefit late on. Freeland really was a terrible referee

I think Freeland also had a shocker at rugby park on last day of the season one year when he totally lost the plot. He sent off two hibs players booked umpteen others and im sure zibby got sent off for making spec signs to one of the officials.

Fletcher scored, there was lots of goals but we got beat.

Or maybe i dreamt this after too much cheese on toast one night?