PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a hibee

PAUL67
20-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Hi folks. First came on here ages ago and this is my first post I think. I am a Celtic fan, but have always had a soft spot for Hibs. I have followed Celtic for thirty years but I am absolutely fed up by everything about the club to be honest. From the support to the boardroom. I have been thinking about pledging my support to hibs for some time. Maybe getting to a few games this season then investing in a season ticket next season. Are there any supporters busses leave from Perth or Dundee area?

Jonny1875
20-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi folks. First came on here ages ago and this is my first post I think. I am a Celtic fan, but have always had a soft spot for Hibs. I have followed Celtic for thirty years but I am absolutely fed up by everything about the club to be honest. From the support to the boardroom. I have been thinking about pledging my support to hibs for some time. Maybe getting to a few games this season then investing in a season ticket next season. Are there any supporters busses leave from Perth or Dundee area?

You cant just switch the team you support...

down-the-slope
20-12-2013, 11:22 PM

you can..people changes houses / cars / jobs / countries they live in / partners.....why not teams?

Jonny1875
20-12-2013, 11:24 PM
you can..people changes houses / cars / jobs / countries they live in / partners.....why not teams?

Its just wrong, its not right to switch teams in my opinion.

Torto7062
20-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the Original Green and White Family.

Years ago I used to travel from Perth
to games with the Perth Paul Kano's.

I'm sure they still travel together.

Ronniekirk
Pits Pantomime Season. oh yes you can:bye::offski:

wearethehibs
Support your local team if you have to change

PAUL67
20-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the Original Green and White Family.

Years ago I used to travel from Perth
to games with the Perth Paul Kano's.

I'm sure they still travel together. cheers mate. will check that out

littleplum
20-12-2013, 11:31 PM

When's the cut-off? I didn't really start supporting Hibs til I was about 12. Prior to that I would have described myself as a Celtic fan. Don't tell me I have to go back!

Saorsa
20-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Its just wrong, its not right to switch teams in my opinion.Not if you're seeing the light and moving the right way. :agree:

PAUL67
20-12-2013, 11:33 PM
was going to ask how hibees would react to me, after a lot of thought and soul searching, supporting hibs. Obvious mixed haha. My local teams would be st Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. I don't like them. I like hibs

Sylar
20-12-2013, 11:35 PM
was going to ask how hibees would react to me, after a lot of thought and soul searching, supporting hibs. Obvious mixed haha. My local teams would be st Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. I don't like them. I like hibs

So support a local junior club or the likes?

Why would you elect to support Hibs? Please, for the love of goodness, don't cite any special relationships or kinsmanship between the clubs...

Saorsa
20-12-2013, 11:37 PM

Why would you elect to support Hibs? Please, for the love of goodness, don't cite any special relationships or kinsmanship between the clubs...Wonder if your attitude would be the same if it was sticky that posted the thread.

FranckSuzy
20-12-2013, 11:38 PM

Welcome. If it was good enough for Pat Nevin to switch sides, then it's good enough for you :aok:

cabbageandribs1875
20-12-2013, 11:42 PM

well done seeing the light, better get used to not winning much though :greengrin

Sylar
20-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Wonder if your attitude would be the same if it was sticky that posted the thread.

I think it's a legitimate question - why Hibs?

Like you, I don't believe you 'can't' switch sides (I of all people would be a hypocrite to decry such a notion) but if you're giving up your team for whatever reason, I think you need to find a good reason to follow another team.

Ronniekirk
20-12-2013, 11:43 PM
We need all the support we can get any other Defectors out there

littleplum
20-12-2013, 11:45 PM
People aren't born with a religion, a political affiliation, or a football team. It's a result of your environment, your family and friends, where you live, and many other factors. That it's taken someone a while to navigate all these factors and find their true club doesn't matter- he's found it and we should welcome that.

Obviously if it were the other way round then he'd be a clueless, fickle, treacherous *******.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2013, 11:49 PM

Like you, I don't believe you 'can't' switch sides (I of all people would be a hypocrite to decry such a notion) but if you're giving up your team for whatever reason, I think you need to find a good reason to follow another team.

I don't believe you can, not if you really support a particular team.

There is no way I could support a team other than Hibs, even if I stopped going to see them for some reason.

OsloHibs
20-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Everyone welcome- But, It's a tough life being a Hibs fan :violin: *warning*

Sylar
20-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Why though? Maybe he's not interested in junior football and wants to watch an SPFL team? (Though some might argue the junior football is more appealing at the moment!) :wink: :greengrin

I don't see a problem with it. People change a lot over the course of their lives, and there might be many reasons that they no longer identify with their club any more. It's unusual, but not inherently wrong.

I don't see a problem with it either. I've done it myself, having grown up as a Livingston fan but grew rapidly fed up of all the financial misgivings and constant off the field politics/drama.

I had a friend who was a Rangers fan but always had a soft spot for Hibs, which seemed strange. But now he's a Hibs fan.

As for reason why he wants to support Hibs, I don't think that's anybody's business but his own. If its kinsmanship, history or just liking the same colour, it shouldn't make any difference to us, and it doesn't mean that the feeling of kinsmanship has to be mutual.

You're right that it's nobody's business but I'm curious as to why. If he's fed up following Celtc playing in the same competitions and against the same teams as Hibs on a weekly basis, surely diversity is what he's after.

Sylar
20-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I don't believe you can, not if you really support a particular team.

There is no way I could support a team other than Hibs, even if I stopped going to see them for some reason.

Guess it depends on the circumstances. I dare say a lot of fans who have followed clubs mired in a degree of controversy or problems might rediscover their allegiances.

I know a lot of people who grew up supporting one half of the Old Firm but grew rapidly disillusioned with the nonsense associated and elected to follow their local clubs instead, passionately backing them even when they came up against The Rangers or Celtc in cup games and the likes.

nonshinyfinish
20-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Ask Pat Nevin about that.

LeithBoozy
20-12-2013, 11:55 PM

You and about 20,OOO others going by the last crowd at parkhead. Tell the truth now Paul, you are the leader of the Green brigade and have just had your erse booted by Liewell. :greengrin

Saorsa
20-12-2013, 11:58 PM

Like you, I don't believe you 'can't' switch sides (I of all people would be a hypocrite to decry such a notion) but if you're giving up your team for whatever reason, I think you need to find a good reason to follow another team.Maybe he likes green, maybe he's realised he'd like green even better without the baggage that goes with the other lot. Be good if we could get back a lot of the fans stolen by the OF (particularly the bus loads of fans from Edinburgh). All welcome as far as I'm concerned as long as all the other stuff is left behind.

Sylar
21-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Maybe he likes green, maybe he's realised he'd like green even better without the baggage that goes with the other lot. Be good if we could get back a lot of the fans stolen by the OF (particularly fans from Edinburgh). All welcome as far as I'm concerned as long as all the other stuff is left behind.

As per my other post a wee bit further up, I don't disagree at all.

Vini1875
21-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Welcome aboard mate. Personally I think you're signing up for Hibs at just the right time. By the way if you can't switch teams how come so many people do?

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 12:02 AM
It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs but I know that feeling is definitely not reciprocated. I am scottish of Irish descent. I always liked the fact that hibs were scottish of Irish descent but without all the political nonsense. They are comfortable enough with their roots and history that they don't have to sing political songs to prove it. I have fond memories of school holidays spent in Edinburgh with an aunt and uncle. She was a jambo, he was a hibee and I liked the football, the colours etc. Been to see them at tannadice a few times when I was younger but was brought up supporting Celtic and have become mire and more disillusioned with what the club have become, where they are heading, still hearing ira chants in 21st century. Haha I can handle not winning so much. I like hibs, I'm not really into junior football.I want to watch a team who who offer a variety of emotions and where it's all about the football.

littleplum
21-12-2013, 12:05 AM
It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs but I know that feeling is definitely not reciprocated. I am scottish of Irish descent. I always liked the fact that hibs were scottish of Irish descent but without all the political nonsense. They are comfortable enough with their roots and history that they don't have to sing political songs to prove it. I have fond memories of school holidays spent in Edinburgh with an aunt and uncle. She was a jambo, he was a hibee and I liked the football, the colours etc. Been to see them at tannadice a few times when I was younger but was brought up supporting Celtic and have become mire and more disillusioned with what the club have become, where they are heading, still hearing ira chants in 21st century. Haha I can handle not winning so much. I like hibs, I'm not really into junior football.I want to watch a team who who offer a variety of emotions and where it's all about the football.

Excellent. Meet everyone behind the Famous 5 Stand on Saturday for your initiation paddling.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2013, 12:06 AM
It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs .

:hmmm:

nonshinyfinish
21-12-2013, 12:08 AM

Burn the witch! :panic:

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Excellent. Meet everyone behind the Famous 5 Stand on Saturday for your initiation :paddling.
Good good old chap. I shall bring the conkers and cream tea :-)

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 12:20 AM
You can change teams. I'm fed up with Celtic and the baggage. I'm not claiming to be hibs number one fan. I'm saying I like them, I want to support them and I'm sure the passion and knowledge will develop.

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Good good old chap. I shall bring the conkers and cream tea :-)

i hope your old team win rather convincingly today :agree: double figures will do

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 12:41 AM
i hope your old team win rather convincingly today :agree: double figures will do well i can definitrly say i already have as healthy a dislike for the hertz as any born n bred hibee does

Jones28
21-12-2013, 12:46 AM

Why would you elect to support Hibs? Please, for the love of goodness, don't cite any special relationships or kinsmanship between the clubs...

Who cares? Everyone has their reasons.

Jones28
21-12-2013, 12:49 AM

Good enough for me, welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Well kind of ;)

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Everyone welcome.

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 01:03 AM
thanks folks :-)

VivaHiberņa
21-12-2013, 01:10 AM
[...] I have followed Celtic for thirty years but I am absolutely fed up by everything about the club to be honest. [...]

[...]
I know a lot of people who grew up supporting one half of the Old Firm but grew rapidly disillusioned with the nonsense associated and elected to follow their local clubs instead, passionately backing them even when they came up against The Rangers or Celtc in cup games and the likes.

Sounds very much like my father, who went from following Oldco for years to attending his first Hibs game at the ripe old age of 47 (and before Oldco died, so it's nowt to do with not fancying the lower leagues) and being a committed Old Firm-hater. He's not a regular at ER but has gone from "I'll go to the game with you but no chance am I wearing a green and white scarf" to happily wearing one and I noticed he was enthusiastically singing along with "Hail, hail.." not too long ago. If you no longer feel that 'bond' with a team I understand why you could switch allegiances.

It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs [...]

This made me laugh. Imagine the hassle this website would have been saved over the years if the I and U weren't next to each other on a qwerty keyboard.

Anyway, welcome aboard! :flag:

VivaHiberņa
21-12-2013, 01:14 AM
As for "why Hibs?", isn't it obvious?

I'd imagine Paul67, like many of us, owns one of these

http://img.resultclothing.net/product/R146X/large/R146x%20SCARF-KELLY-GREEN--WHITE-1.jpg

and still having "the Celtc streak" doesn't fancy spending a whole fiver on a new scarf.* I'm sure Pat Nevin had the same line of logic.

*Only kidding mate

Pretty Boy
21-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Welcome to the (real) green and white family.

If changing from Celtic to Hibs is good enough for wee Pat Nevin then it's fine for others.

allezsauzee
21-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Consider it a promotion...well done young man :wink:

Bronson
21-12-2013, 01:18 AM

Can't say much fairer than that, welcome aboard mate!

I hope you know what you're getting yourself in for:greengrin

Weststandwanab
21-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Welcome aboard mate, when do you intend to go to your first Hibs match as a supporter ?

lord bunberry
21-12-2013, 03:50 AM
I find absolutely unthinkable to switch your team. You can't really be a passionate fan of one club then abandon them for another, I could never support another team. As the great man said I was born a hibby and I'll die a hibby. I've nothing against people switching sides it's their choice but it's not for me.

HibeeBigFly
21-12-2013, 04:09 AM
I am from Aberdeen born and bred and have supported Hibs since I was about 7. I don't see a problem with it but can't rationalise why. In this day and age where 90% of school kids support an English team I don't and would never see a problem with this logic. This locals only thing is dinosaur thinking!

Dalianwanda
21-12-2013, 04:33 AM

Welcome aboard dude

Haymaker
21-12-2013, 05:32 AM
You don't select your team. The team selects you.

Septimus
21-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Your disillusionment with Celic is understandable and laudable. Imagine a Scottish league where everyone supported their local team and financial clout was no longer the defining force behind league positions. Something like the league as I remember it in the post war years where teams like Falkirk, QoS, Partick Thistle and Clyde were competitive. The crowds will never come back in such numbers but unless the product is sorted the attraction, as well as the game, will continue to be noncompetitive.

Try your local team. You might be surprised.

Hibs07p
21-12-2013, 07:43 AM
If your so disillusioned with Celtc, why the "memorable" user name? I think Paul07 or Paul62 might have a better ring to it.

GGTTH

ALF TUPPER
21-12-2013, 07:51 AM
You're not a former green brigader banned from smelting park I hopes? . If not, .....then

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

Any thoughts about about where you want to sit in the ground. You want inducted into the East stand or join me and the ovaltinies in the Famous Five ?

And hey ..... No cheering and clapping mind! Ridicule and verbal abuse is the future. You'll see what I mean. :greengrin

GGTTH

lucky
21-12-2013, 07:52 AM
I don't get why you have to support your local team. Lots of people move away or fall for clubs for different reasons. When we went to Malmo, 8 of shared a taxi from the airport into town and only 1 person lived in Edinburgh. So the logic of you must follow your local team does not reflect the Hibs support.
I don't care who you used support as long as your supporting Hibs now that's all that counts.

Greendub
21-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome along, I have a mate who was a Celtic fan and like you became really frustrated my all the political pash, so he asked to come to a few games with me, and has never looked back.

The more hibbys the better

spike220
21-12-2013, 08:16 AM
I find absolutely unthinkable to switch your team. You can't really be a passionate fan of one club then abandon them for another, I could never support another team. As the great man said I was born a hibby and I'll die a hibby. I've nothing against people switching sides it's their choice but it's not for me.
maybe deep down he was always a hibs fan, but just repressed his feelings.

weonlywon6-2
21-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Correct but do you remember people walking about edinburgh with blackburn rovers tops years ago,people follow success in football

Hibercelona
21-12-2013, 08:56 AM
What makes you think you'll be any less fed up with our own clubs board?

:duck:

Judas Iscariot
21-12-2013, 08:57 AM

If he'd been a Hun you'd be welcoming him with open arms :cool2:

Thecat23
21-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Good on you mate for changing. It's easy to follow a team that wins everything. But you clearly have had enough of the rubbish that comes with Celtic. Hibs are more a family club, yes we have the odd idiots like every club do but you won't get the bile like at parkhead.

So to come on here be open about your feelings knowing some may not agree takes a bit of balls if you ask me. I hope you do get along to ER mate and believe me supporting a team that wins the odd trophy every 15 year or something means when it happens the fans appreciate it 100 times more than any Celtic fan.

One last thing... I hope you can handle defeats because we suffer a few of them believe me ;)

weonlywon6-2
21-12-2013, 09:07 AM

I wasnt born a hibby.My dad supported hearts and my mum rangers.
My first ever game was at tynecastle when i was very young.I followed celtics results after watching a scottish cup final for a short time and my brother started to watch hibs then asked if i wanted to go as well.Would have been 12 or 13 years old and that was me.

Never spoken to my brother since !!!!!!

Jonny1875
21-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Correct but do you remember people walking about edinburgh with blackburn rovers tops years ago,people follow success in football

There has been a recent increase in Man city supporters im Belfast... Now that I think

weonlywon6-2
21-12-2013, 09:13 AM
There has been a recent increase in Man city supporters im Belfast... Now that I think

No.surprise really.how many barca or madrid tops do you see.More chance of getting a chelsea top on princes street than a hibs one

Waxy
21-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Not surprised Celtic fans are getting bored with their club.
They moan about clubs not putting in a challenge but wgen they do they just buy that clubs best player.
It's not about football, it's about money.
So here is my thanks to Celtic and Rangers. Thanks for ruining Scottish football for the last 100 years.

Chump
21-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Welcome......we need all the support we can get to catch up with the 400,000 yam fuds across the city :wink:

Jonny1875
21-12-2013, 10:05 AM
No.surprise really.how many barca or madrid tops do you see.More chance of getting a chelsea top on princes street than a hibs one

Was over at the start of the month and was suprised how many man united tops there was... Glory hunters everywhere

7 Hills
21-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Welcome. You are gonna LOVE it! :flag:

EDIT: Half season tickets are available now. :wink: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/ForeverGreen/0,,10290,00.html

hibbydog
21-12-2013, 10:15 AM
There's no way anybody shouldn't not change their allegiance

Greendub
21-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't see switching teams as a problem, unless you're ditching the hibees to become a celtic fan.

My old man is a jambo and until about the age of 6, so was I, until I decided that maroon made me feel sick and I wanted to wear green!

:flag:

SunshineOnLeith
21-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Celtic fans that say "I like Hibs" gie me the boak.

down-the-slope
21-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Good on you mate for changing. It's easy to follow a team that wins everything. But you clearly have had enough of the rubbish that comes with Celtic. Hibs are more a family club, yes we have the odd idiots like every club do but you won't get the bile like at parkhead.

So to come on here be open about your feelings knowing some may not agree takes a bit of balls if you ask me. I hope you do get along to ER mate and believe me supporting a team that wins the odd trophy every 15 year or something means when it happens the fans appreciate it 100 times more than any Celtic fan.

One last thing... I hope you can handle defeats because we suffer a few of them believe me ;)

:eek: You will be off Terry's Christmas card list with an attitude like that

:greengrin

7 Hills
21-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I see that some folk are giving the OP grief for considering switching teams. Whilst I have been a Hibee all my life and would NEVER consider switching teams myself, anyone giving up one or other of the Old **** for ANY other team should be given full support, in my opinion. :flag:

The_Todd
21-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Why, does it create a universe shattering paradox?

Eyrie
21-12-2013, 10:45 AM
You don't select your team. The team selects you.

So the last forty-odd years of suffering have been Hibs' fault and not mine? Does anyone have Lionel Hutz' phone number?

Eternal Hibbie
21-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Support your local team if you have to change

If the man wants to support Hibs let him support Hibs !

The more the merrier, welcome aboard.

Be prepared for some disappointing Saturday afternoons around quarter or ten to five though mate.

Off the bar
21-12-2013, 10:57 AM
This thread is great, it's like a preview of a couple of years time when fans of the team formerly know as hearz start looking for a local team to support!

The_Todd
21-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Incidentally I was in the same position. Raised a Celtic fan by a Celtic supporting father. Grew up, moved to Edinburgh (from Cardiff) and switched to Hibs. The team by grandfather supports and a team in the City I lived in.

Don't tell me you can't because you can. Anyone waking up from the Old Firm coma needs welcomed not scorned.

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 11:37 AM
If the man wants to support Hibs let him support Hibs !

The more the merrier, welcome aboard.

Be prepared for some disappointing Saturday afternoons around quarter or ten to five though mate.
cheers mate. cheers to everyone. the rrason i chose the "memorable" user name is because i first came on here about a year and a half ago and never hid the fact that i was a celtic fan. someone said that celtic fans who like hibs, give them the boak. i would use the analogy that if a gay man told me he fancied me i would take it as a compliment. doesnt mean i have to fancy him back. im sure there are plenty hibs fans from fife and livingstone etc who dont support their local teams. im originally from dundee but now live in a wee village in perthshire. i want to convert to hibs, not cold war communism haha. i want to experience the highs and lows. im pretty sure punters will always be at odds with the board but as a celtic fan you are stuck between supporters who want to sing ira songs and a board who would happily collude with police and are not interested in football. they are interested in big business. for those of you who find it unthinkable to change teams thats probably coz you are looking at it from viewpoint of ditching hibs for celtic. maybe i wasnt a passionate celtic fan, maybe i was but i no longer recognize the soulless entity at parkhead but see old school spirit in hibs? does it matter? im not claiming to be an expert on all things hibs. I like them and im going to start going to matches after new year and hopefully i start enjoying my football again. ps ive been to plenty dundee games, brlieve me theres a political union jack waving section of knob ends there who are quick to bang on about the knob ends who follow the old firm and as for united...no thanks. smug, morally superior, delusional geeks follow united. i will say these days the vast majority of celtic fans do not want all the ira pish and are vocally against it. Its the away fans thatare the problem and I'm sick of being tarred with them

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 11:45 AM
And no I wasn't in the gb. I sat in the south stand haha

nonshinyfinish
21-12-2013, 11:52 AM
someone said that celtic fans who like hibs, give them the boak. i would use the analogy that if a gay man told me he fancied me i would take it as a compliment. doesnt mean i have to fancy him back

I don't mind if they have a soft spot for Hibs for 'innocent' reasons - the colours maybe, or an acknowledgement that they wouldn't exist without us. If, on the other hand, it's because they're trying to involve us in their religious pish, then they can GTF.

PAUL67
21-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't mind if they have a soft spot for Hibs for 'innocent' reasons - the colours maybe, or an acknowledgement that they wouldn't exist without us. If, on the other hand, it's because they're trying to involve us in their religious pish, then they can GTF. there's definitely Celtic fans who want to drag hibs into the political stuff. I like them for having the Irish links WITHOUT the political crap plus reasons I've stated like good childhood memories etc mate

leggeto
21-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Welcome home