Saturday May 10 – Premiership (bottom six) fixture round 38

Tuesday May 13 – Championship 3 or 4 v Championship 2

Wednesday May 14 – UEFA Europa League Final

Saturday May 17 – Scottish Cup Final

Sunday May 18 – Championship 2 v Championship 3 or 4

Wednesday May 21 – Championship 2 or 3 or 4 v Premiership 11

Saturday May 24 – UEFA Champions League Final

Sunday May 25 – Premiership 11 v Championship 2 or 3 or 4

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/premiership-play-off-dates-confirmed/#OkUfsFrfkkzZJYIf.99

Archie70
20-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Am I reading that right that there is a play for the 11th team in the league this season?

SMAXXA
20-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Am I reading that right that there is a play for the 11th team in the league this season?

:agree:

Big_Franck
20-12-2013, 07:48 PM
It's great there is a play-off this season, I think it will be good for our game. Looking at the fixtures though it's weighted in the SPL team's favour as they only have to play one game. The 3rd and 4th team 'Championship' sides will have to play 4 games before meeting the SPL side and no doubt will have racked up the cards and possibly injuries.

They should make it more similar to the play-offs in England. SPL 11th v Championship 4th and Championship 2nd v Championship 3rd. Two legged semis followed by a final at at a neutral venue (easter road preferably for the extra income).

down-the-slope
20-12-2013, 07:55 PM
It's great there is a play-off this season, I think it will be good for our game. Looking at the fixtures though it's weighted in the SPL team's favour as they only have to play one game. The 3rd and 4th team 'Championship' sides will have to play 4 games before meeting the SPL side and no doubt will have racked up the cards and possibly injuries.

They should make it more similar to the play-offs in England. SPL 11th v Championship 4th and Championship 2nd v Championship 3rd. Two legged semis followed by a final at at a neutral venue (easter road preferably for the extra income).

SPFL side :wink: - but yes you are right...its possible for 3rd or 4th to have 6 additional 'cup final' matches...with TV bound to be interested and gate monies it could be a massive money spinner

In fact it could be that a team being promoted this way will give extra money and more chance of staying up ?

B.H.F.C
20-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Better start picking up some wins!

Big_Franck
20-12-2013, 08:02 PM
SPFL side :wink: - but yes you are right...its possible for 3rd or 4th to have 6 additional 'cup final' matches...with TV bound to be interested and gate monies it could be a massive money spinner

In fact it could be that a team being promoted this way will give extra money and more chance of staying up ?

Technically it should just be 'Scottish Premiership' side as the SPFL is the whole shebang, Premiership to League 2. I refuse to call them anything other than SPL sides though :greengrin

It could do, although i'd be surprised if anyone would be interested in broadcasting the games between the championship sides, especially the 3rd v 4th ties. The final at least will be broadcast though. All in a welcome update to our game and if nothing else it gives me something else to bet on after our season has finished :aok:

Archie70
20-12-2013, 08:07 PM
So if the Yams scrapped 11th and Dumbarton 4th, Ian Murray could relegate them!

Diclonius
20-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Just checked the SPFL website and unbelievably this is the playoff format!

I was under the impression that your suggestion was actually how the playoffs were contested. The actual format is ****ing ridiculous. Everything is weighted in the Premiership team's favour.

I guess being part of the big boys serves as a reward for failure in your current league, while those at the top of the division below have to do even more work. This must be how the perennial SPL losers who are quite content with avoiding finishing bottom were convinced to vote in favour. :aok:

Big_Franck
20-12-2013, 08:29 PM

I was under the impression that your suggestion was actually how the playoffs were contested. The actual format is ****ing ridiculous. Everything is weighted in the Premiership team's favour.

I guess being part of the big boys serves as a reward for failure in your current league, while those at the top of the division below have to do even more work. This must be how the perennial SPL losers who are quite content with avoiding finishing bottom were convinced to vote in favour. :aok:

Definitely. It is progress though, so it's not all bad.

The big positive is that this set up will make it even harder for the yams to get promoted again next year. So on second thoughts good work Doncaster :aok:

Billy Whizz
20-12-2013, 08:43 PM

They only play 36 games pre play offs in the Championship v 38 in Premiership

Gus Fring
20-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Is the format not this way because the 11th place team is playing to keep something but the championship teams are playing to win something? I like it because it gives the top 4 in the championship something to play for.

Having said that I'll hate it if Hearts are in the playoffs at any point.

hibbysam
21-12-2013, 06:17 AM

Remember that 4th in the championship is mid table.. So quite rightly should have to do an extra bit of work IMO.

lucky
21-12-2013, 06:39 AM
At first I thought the idea was bonkers but finishing 4th in a 12 team league and you get a chance of promotion is very good. It will keep interest in championship games. Finishing 11th now is fraught with danger. This will bring some pressure to some of the bottom 6 games. Hopefully it works and people attend the games

lucky
21-12-2013, 06:42 AM
FFS we are only 6 points of the play offs. This format is going to make the bottom 6 cut throat

hibbysam
21-12-2013, 07:04 AM
At first I thought the idea was bonkers but finishing 4th in a 12 team league and you get a chance of promotion is very good. It will keep interest in championship games. Finishing 11th now is fraught with danger. This will bring some pressure to some of the bottom 6 games. Hopefully it works and people attend the games

10 team league...

lucky
21-12-2013, 07:21 AM
10 team league...

Stand corrected, buts even better odds of being involved.

Billy Whizz
21-12-2013, 08:12 AM
10 team league...

4 in a battle to go up, 2 in an even bigger battle to stay up. 6 teams out of 10 with something to play for

B.H.F.C
21-12-2013, 08:44 AM
FFS we are only 6 points of the play offs. This format is going to make the bottom 6 cut throat

Ross County and Killlie are our next two games after today. We need a result today or they are going to be looking those games as a massive opportunity to drag us in to it