PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Mullen/5-3-2

TheFamous1875
19-12-2013, 04:08 PM
With the balance in our team all over the shop, and us in dire need of width, I remember opt he forgotten lad Mullen, who, if he has any apparent qualities it's that he can certainly whip a ball in the box, which is Butcher's main objective for the team. High tempo, and balls in the box.

Like most of us here, I like the idea of free flowing football at pace, with our players playing in their correct positions and getting the best out of them. Mullen has not had a good time of it so far in his fledgling career as a Hibsman, and if there's any position he should be well suited to, it's surely as a RWB.

He's not the most defensive minded, and I think a bit of reassurance behind him (Forster, a CB, who's also been playing out of position at RB) he could potentially be a valuable attacking threat. From what I recall, he has a good cross on him (and a good free kick) and if we were to get the best out of him, it could make up for our terrible squad balance we've been left with.

Butcher said after the match on Saturday that he would be perhaps looking at changing up the formations and trying new approaches and I think this is potentially a valid option to try out against St Johnstone this week, depending on how sharp Mullen is and if he's impressed at training, that is..(has he even been getting his game for the Under 20s?)

A starting line up could consist of:

Williams.

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon.
Mullen. Stevenson.
Thomson.
Robertson. Craig.

Cairney.
Collins.

The annoying thing is that we don't have a right back, we don't have any wingers, so we're making do with good players being asked to do things which are not natural to them (Cairney a winger, Forster a full back) and as much as I'm sure Butcher will be addressing this in January, it's annoying for us fans because we want to see our players catered for.

I personally blame Fenlon for this, as he just didn't know about team balance, and thus he's left players out to dry. Stevenson at RB? Gimme a break..

Golden Bear
19-12-2013, 04:15 PM
With the balance in our team all over the shop, and us in dire need of width, I remember opt he forgotten lad Mullen, who, if he has any apparent qualities it's that he can certainly whip a ball in the box, which is Butcher's main objective for the team. High tempo, and balls in the box.

Like most of us here, I like the idea of free flowing football at pace, with our players playing in their correct positions and getting the best out of them. Mullen has not had a good time of it so far in his fledgling career as a Hibsman, and if there's any position he should be well suited to, it's surely as a RWB.

He's not the most defensive minded, and I think a bit of reassurance behind him (Forster, a CB, who's also been playing out of position at RB) he could potentially be a valuable attacking threat. From what I recall, he has a good cross on him (and a good free kick) and if we were to get the best out of him, it could make up for our terrible squad balance we've been left with.

Butcher said after the match on Saturday that he would be perhaps looking at changing up the formations and trying new approaches and I think this is potentially a valid option to try out against St Johnstone this week, depending on how sharp Mullen is and if he's impressed at training, that is..(has he even been getting his game for the Under 20s?)

A starting line up could consist of:

Williams.

Forster. Nelson. Hanlon.
Mullen. Stevenson.
Thomson.
Robertson. Craig.

Cairney.
Collins.

The annoying thing is that we don't have a right back, we don't have any wingers, so we're making do with good players being asked to do things which are not natural to them (Cairney a winger, Forster a full back) and as much as I'm sure Butcher will be addressing this in January, it's annoying for us fans because we want to see our players catered for.

I personally blame Fenlon for this, as he just didn't know about team balance, and thus he's left players out to dry. Stevenson at RB? Gimme a break..

The young lad was murdered on here after a couple of indifferent games. Hopefully he goes on to prove his critics wrong.

HibbyAndy
19-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Mullen got roasted by GMS at easter road and was hooked once he got booked..LS switched to RB and never gave GMS a sniff...BUT i do agree we cant be playing players out of position..Is Tim Clancy actually real or a Hibs.net myth ?!

Matty_Jack04
19-12-2013, 04:23 PM
The young lad was murdered on here after a couple of indifferent games. Hopefully he goes on to prove his critics wrong.

He's been hooked on half time twice in his short hibs career I think his critics have a fair point

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Mullen will never make it as a footballer at Hibs. The guy is a very poor footballer part of the dross Fenlon left us with.

He's hear7s class at best, and only then where they will be playing their football next season.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Mullen will never make it as a footballer at Hibs. The guy is a very poor footballer part of the dross Fenlon left us with.

He's hear7s class at best, and only then where they will be playing their football next season.

I'm sure someone at Hibs recommended him to Fenlon

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Thats a worry, hopefully Butchers management team will not be anywhere near as stupid.

jacomo
19-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Thats a worry, hopefully Butchers management team will not be anywhere near as stupid.

Dear me, he's a young lad who had a bad start. Maybe he will make it at Hibs or maybe he won't but no need for the vitriol.

Mullen aside the OP might have a point. There are strengths and weaknesses with a back three as with any formation but we might have the players who could make it work.

Forza Fred
19-12-2013, 05:37 PM

If I recall correctly, it was none other than Mr 'Divided Loyaities' Billy Brown.

Billy Whizz
19-12-2013, 05:44 PM
If I recall correctly, it was none other than Mr 'Divided Loyaities' Billy Brown.

Well I was right then. Someone at Hibs recommended him

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Dear me, he's a young lad who had a bad start. Maybe he will make it at Hibs or maybe he won't but no need for the vitriol.

Mullen aside the OP might have a point. There are strengths and weaknesses with a back three as with any formation but we might have the players who could make it work.

He's an awful player, he will never make the grade in a terrible SPFL.

AlbertK86
19-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Think James McDonough was quoted as saying he had been impressive through the age groups

lord bunberry
19-12-2013, 06:40 PM

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with about mullen, but Robertson had an equally poor start to his hibs career and he's turned it round.

hibbymick
19-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Would Hearts not have held onto him if he was any good ?

TheFamous1875
19-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I think Mullen was immediately left out to dry by Fenlon. He's a bairn, and to have him as our starting RB at the beginning of the season with no experience (and was yet and still is yet to merit such an honour) it was a shocking decision from Pat.

The boy is an attacking right sided player, he could either play RWB or RM. Not a defender yet, not "cultured" yet, and look what's happened. He's been crucified by critics and is a no mark - and although he's not shown anything to prove anyone different, I think he's been handled pathetically by Pat. Crossing the city divide, it was very important for him to be handled well. Maybe he should never've been signed in the first place - or at least alongside an experienced RB, to take the pressure off him.

It just annoys me that it's another of Pat's signings that's not even an option for improving the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hfc rd
19-12-2013, 08:17 PM
How's he been doing for the U20's?

heretoday
19-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Hibs should put him out on loan and see how he gets on.

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Hibs should put him out on loan and see how he gets on.

I agree, preferably to hear7s, then insist he has to play against us.

Ronaldo9
20-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I agree, preferably to hear7s, then insist he has to play against us.

I don't think I have ever seen you write a positive comment about any Hibs player, EVER!!

Gie it a rest man!

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't think I have ever seen you write a positive comment about any Hibs player, EVER!!

Gie it a rest man!

You don't do much reading.

joe breezy
20-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Would Hearts not have held onto him if he was any good ?

Definitely, Hearts are minted, they can keep hold of any player they want as they're such a big club #foreverintheirshadow #inromanovwetrust

Andy74
21-12-2013, 07:22 AM
I think Mullen was immediately left out to dry by Fenlon. He's a bairn, and to have him as our starting RB at the beginning of the season with no experience (and was yet and still is yet to merit such an honour) it was a shocking decision from Pat.

The boy is an attacking right sided player, he could either play RWB or RM. Not a defender yet, not "cultured" yet, and look what's happened. He's been crucified by critics and is a no mark - and although he's not shown anything to prove anyone different, I think he's been handled pathetically by Pat. Crossing the city divide, it was very important for him to be handled well. Maybe he should never've been signed in the first place - or at least alongside an experienced RB, to take the pressure off him.

It just annoys me that it's another of Pat's signings that's not even an option for improving the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clancy was injured. Maybury was just meant to be a coach. Mullen was a right back signed on the recommendation of the coaches at the club who knew him from the youth leagues.

There was nothing wrong with playing him at the time. Yes he had a couple of shockers not helped by early bookings. It was also right to take him back out.

Yes he is a young player but there's also been criticism of not playing enough of them.

How would you have handled it differently? Not played him at all? Keep playing him after his shockers?

Remember we didn't have the luxury of any real choice in that position early season.

Unseen work
21-12-2013, 03:57 PM
For me it was playing him when he was unfit, said he wasn't fit enough to start as had a very little pre season but got put on within 20 mins against malmo when mcpake got injured. Playing when not fully fit has a big effect!

Really hope he gets another chance as he's good on the ball and attacks well, peach of a cross on him