PDA

View Full Version : World class behaviour from Ajax

lyonhibs
18-12-2013, 06:35 PM
It's often and with a great facility that footballers and football clubs are criticized for general bawbaggery, so it's only fair that when they act with genuine class and empathy towards their fans.

Check this out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2525247/Watch-Ajax-sign-chronically-ill-year-old-fan-Jay-Jay-Willems-Eredivisie-debut-heartwarming-video.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2525247/Watch-Ajax-sign-chronically-ill-year-old-fan-Jay-Jay-Willems-Eredivisie-debut-heartwarming-video.html)

Hibbyradge
18-12-2013, 06:41 PM
As I pointed out elsewhere, if they'd do that for a child with a relatively minor illness, irritable bowel syndrome, I wonder what lengths they'd go to if a bairn was terminally ill or disabled.

It's a shame the Mail used the article to tell us how kind Ajax were, instead of publicising the effects of IBS.

Future17
18-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Absolutely brilliant.

Love the fact that he has his own mascot when he walks out onto the pitch - they are almost exactly the same size! :greengrin

WestEndHibee
18-12-2013, 06:44 PM
That's top quality.

weonlywon6-2
18-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Ten out of ten to Ajax.Thats is a really decent gesture

Beefster
19-12-2013, 05:17 AM
It's a shame the Mail used the article to tell us how kind Ajax were, instead of publicising the effects of IBS.

The internet is full of information about IBS and there are even advertisements on TV for medication for it. The Mail story is about the gesture Ajax made so I think the story is fair enough. If The Guardian runs a story on someone dying of a heart attack, I doubt they spend the a big part of the story publicising the symptoms of a heart attack and how to mitigate your risk of having one.

Cameron1875
19-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Wonderful touch from the club and the kid will be delighted at meeting his heroes :aok:

However their fans are some of the worst in Europe so can't give them total praise :na na:

Hibercelona
19-12-2013, 06:39 AM
World class behaviour from the club itself, shame their fans don't live up to that reputation.

AndyM_1875
19-12-2013, 09:03 AM
World class behaviour from the club itself, shame their fans don't live up to that reputation.

Most Ajax fans are absolutely sound actually. A small rogue hardcore element are lunatics but that's not very different to most other big clubs such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juve.
Ajax get a bad press in Scotland mainly due to their aggressive clashes with Celtc (pet team of BBC Scotland), a team their fans generally despise for a number of reasons none of them to do with reasons Celtc fans would have you believe.

This is a classy gesture from Ajax and should be seen as such.

Pete
19-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Most Ajax fans are absolutely sound actually. A small rogue hardcore element are lunatics but that's not very different to most other big clubs such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juve.
Ajax get a bad press in Scotland mainly due to their aggressive clashes with Celtc (pet team of BBC Scotland), a team their fans generally despise for a number of reasons none of them to do with reasons Celtc fans would have you believe.

This is a classy gesture from Ajax and should be seen as such.

So what are these real reasons?

Is the whole anti-catholic thing just an unrelated coincidence?

When you see a banner simply displaying the words "fenian eastwards" it's pretty cut and dried as to what they are. To suggest that some are playing the victim card is not on when it comes to this and is just more sweeping under the carpet.

No excuses...and another paltry punishment by the guardians of our game.

Hibbyradge
19-12-2013, 06:19 PM
The internet is full of information about IBS and there are even advertisements on TV for medication for it. The Mail story is about the gesture Ajax made so I think the story is fair enough. If The Guardian runs a story on someone dying of a heart attack, I doubt they spend the a big part of the story publicising the symptoms of a heart attack and how to mitigate your risk of having one.

Fair points.

Sylar
19-12-2013, 06:26 PM

When you see a banner simply displaying the words "fenian eastwards" it's pretty cut and dried as to what they are. To suggest that some are playing the victim card is not on when it comes to this and is just more sweeping under the carpet.

So anyone who hates Celtic is anti-Catholic then, are they? There are plenty of legitimate reasons for hating that odious club beyond their historical, religious and political affiliations.

It's not an excuse and their banner was out of order but in that particular "battle", Celtic started the sectarian vitriol by chanting en masse at the Parkhead fixture, calling FdB a "sad Orange *******".

Don't dish it out if you can't take it back.

AndyM_1875
19-12-2013, 07:35 PM

A brain dead offensive banner for which the club was rightly fined does not make Ajax a Dutch version of Rangers, ever.

Ajax fans were attacked in Glasgow by Celtic fans and some assaulted fans had their banner stolen and displayed by those mongos the Green Brigade upside down as an insult to Ajax. Add to that the deluge of offensive insults from Celtic idiots which were both sectarian (dirty orange....) and anti-semitic aimed at the club, its manager & the team and you have a recipe for trouble. Ajax are one club whose ultras would never take that lying down.

Celtic's reputation in Amsterdam is about as low as it gets. Thousands Turn up ticketless, get quickly pissed & aggressive, then use Dam Square as a giant public urinal and then fight the police and attack passing trams. Once back home they resort to type and play the victim card as per normal and blame the Police, Ajax, Ajax ultras etc etc. God forbid they have to accept any responsibility for the conduct of the self appointed GFITW when they can stick to type "Aye, it wisnae Us, we're the Greatest fans in the world. A big boy did it and ran away."

Nakedmanoncrack
19-12-2013, 07:52 PM
:agree:

A brain dead offensive banner for which the club was rightly fined does not make Ajax a Dutch version of Rangers, ever.

Ajax fans were attacked in Glasgow by Celtic fans and some assaulted fans had their banner stolen and displayed by those mongos the Green Brigade upside down as an insult to Ajax. Add to that the deluge of offensive insults from Celtic idiots which were both sectarian (dirty orange....) and anti-semitic aimed at the club, its manager & the team and you have a recipe for trouble. Ajax are one club whose ultras would never take that lying down.

Celtic's reputation in Amsterdam is about as low as it gets. Thousands Turn up ticketless, get quickly pissed & aggressive, then use Dam Square as a giant public urinal and then fight the police and attack passing trams. Once back home they resort to type and play the victim card as per normal and blame the Police, Ajax, Ajax ultras etc etc. God forbid they have to accept any responsibility for the conduct of the self appointed GFITW when they can stick to type "Aye, it wisnae Us, we're the Greatest fans in the world. A big boy did it and ran away."

Pete
19-12-2013, 11:28 PM
So anyone who hates Celtic is anti-Catholic then, are they? There are plenty of legitimate reasons for hating that odious club beyond their historical, religious and political affiliations.

It's not an excuse and their banner was out of order but in that particular "battle", Celtic started the sectarian vitriol by chanting en masse at the Parkhead fixture, calling FdB a "sad Orange *******".

Don't dish it out if you can't take it back.

No. People who display banners like that, for whatever reason, are bigots.

You don't need to look for other reasons when they are willing to use religious insults to bait supporters.

monktonharp
19-12-2013, 11:51 PM
sheer class, that is all

Pete
20-12-2013, 12:01 AM

You seem to believe a certain version of events in Amsterdam even though there are lots of differing reports out there. It all seems a bit mad with Celtic fans, Ajax hooligans, undercover police and other firms all being named and blamed to an extent. I don't know how anyone can simply blame Celtic if they weren't actually there but I suppose their victim mentality makes it the easy option. I wasn't there and therefore don't have a clue...so I wouldn't be confident enough to make bold assumptions. That's one thing you can do with visual evidence though, such as sectarian banners. I wasn't aware of any sectarian singing by the Celtic fans in Glasgow but as there's obviously evidence I'm sure they will be charged by UEFA as it's unacceptable.

I actually agree with you that you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, even rangers and Celtic fans. I know plenty who are good guys who don't buy into all the nonsense. I don't know any Ajax fans but I'm sure the majority are nothing like their lunatic fringes (I've given up trying to put them in a box...mental) and you simply can't say that fans of this team or that team are all bad.

It just annoys me that people continually talk about Celtic "playing the victim". They do some cringeworthy things but I think if one group of people has the right to claim victim status it's Catholics in Scotland. It's almost an institutional reply whenever complaints are made about the abuse suffered.

I'll admit that banner made my blood boil, as it no doubt did with many others who recognise the problems Scotland faces and aren't willing to accept it.
You're correct though and it shouldn't take anything away from this lovely gesture by Ajax or harm their reputation.

lyonhibs
20-12-2013, 08:51 AM
You seem to believe a certain version of events in Amsterdam even though there are lots of differing reports out there. It all seems a bit mad with Celtic fans, Ajax hooligans, undercover police and other firms all being named and blamed to an extent. I don't know how anyone can simply blame Celtic if they weren't actually there but I suppose their victim mentality makes it the easy option. I wasn't there and therefore don't have a clue...so I wouldn't be confident enough to make bold assumptions. That's one thing you can do with visual evidence though, such as sectarian banners. I wasn't aware of any sectarian singing by the Celtic fans in Glasgow but as there's obviously evidence I'm sure they will be charged by UEFA as it's unacceptable.

I actually agree with you that you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, even rangers and Celtic fans. I know plenty who are good guys who don't buy into all the nonsense. I don't know any Ajax fans but I'm sure the majority are nothing like their lunatic fringes (I've given up trying to put them in a box...mental) and you simply can't say that fans of this team or that team are all bad.

It just annoys me that people continually talk about Celtic "playing the victim". They do some cringeworthy things but I think if one group of people has the right to claim victim status it's Catholics in Scotland. It's almost an institutional reply whenever complaints are made about the abuse suffered.

I'll admit that banner made my blood boil, as it no doubt did with many others who recognise the problems Scotland faces and aren't willing to accept it.
You're correct though and it shouldn't take anything away from this lovely gesture by Ajax or harm their reputation.

How has this thread descended into this?? :confused:

edinburghhibee
20-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Amazing gesture from Ajax a wonderful club with a great history. This wee lad will be top of the world for months.

joe breezy
20-12-2013, 11:12 AM

thanks for the common sense post - saved me from typing one