PDA

View Full Version : Unmanned / Self Scan turnstiles

Gus Fring
16-12-2013, 02:18 PM
I've read a couple of times these are being trialled this weekend and wondered what people think?

I think for genuine punters it'll be good because it should speed up the process for everyone. Some of the stewards are pretty slow at scanning and obviously Hibs paying for someone to sit there for an hour before a match isn't cost effective.

On the other hand, it's been mentioned it could be open to abuse, with people buying cheaper tickets and scanning themselves in. I'd hope this would be a tiny minority if it all. In all honesty this could be happening just now anyway because the stewards don't really pay much attention in my experience. I suppose that's one of the things that will be looked at in the trial.

Winston Ingram
16-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I've read a couple of times these are being trialled this weekend and wondered what people think?

I think for genuine punters it'll be good because it should speed up the process for everyone. Some of the stewards are pretty slow at scanning and obviously Hibs paying for someone to sit there for an hour before a match isn't cost effective.

On the other hand, it's been mentioned it could be open to abuse, with people buying cheaper tickets and scanning themselves in. I'd hope this would be a tiny minority if it all. In all honesty this could be happening just now anyway because the stewards don't really pay much attention in my experience. I suppose that's one of the things that will be looked at in the trial.

It baffles me it's taken us so long to do it. I've been at games in Spain, Germany & England where it's worked a treat. St Mirren also do it and i was there a couple of weeks back it it was alot quicker. Can't believe it's taken us so long. We must have wasted a fortune on turnstile operators

davemcbain
16-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I reckon it's just copying hertz and celtic - looking at the pictures from parkhead at the weekend. If there were 46000 at that game, then at least 20000 people unmen used the unmanned turnstiles to go to the game.

cwilliamson85
16-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Would it not be built in that if a student / OAP (any other discounted tickets) would have to use a manned gate and all other tickets can scan themselves?

yeezus.
16-12-2013, 03:57 PM

I'm pretty sure this is what happens at Pittdorie - seems like a decent idea to me.

happiehibbie
16-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Would it not be built in that if a student / OAP (any other discounted tickets) would have to use a manned gate and all other tickets can scan themselves?

Not in these PC days my friend

Viva_Palmeiras
16-12-2013, 04:00 PM
The security/abuse(fraud) aspect has been factored into the solution.
Garry O'Hagan has been diligent in the review of this which will help improve this aspect of match day experience. He (and others) went down to see how operations work down South.

The club don't have the readies to splash out but when they do it's done with adding value in mind this and the deal struck on the upgraded ticketing system are great platforms for the club to build on.

cwilliamson85
16-12-2013, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=cwilliamson85;3837919]

Not in these PC days my friend

All it would take for say 4 turnstiles (evenly spaced along the stand to avoid people going into the stand at the sides then walking along rows) in each stand to be manned then the others can be self-service types.

Don’t over complicate this Hibs. It is simple and effective (if the technology works). I remember a mate who is a season ticket holder at Parkhead missed the first half it was first used there as the scanners didn’t read the cards.

happiehibbie
16-12-2013, 04:12 PM
what Hibs should do is get the same system as edinburgh airport passport control and a security scanner ! oh wait an IRIS scanner that will stop the fraudsters lol:flag:

Gus Fring
16-12-2013, 04:15 PM
The security/abuse(fraud) aspect has been factored into the solution.
Garry O'Hagan has been diligent in the review of this which will help improve this aspect of match day experience. He (and others) went down to see how operations work down South.

The club don't have the readies to splash out but when they do it's done with adding value in mind this and the deal struck on the upgraded ticketing system are great platforms for the club to build on.

Any ideas what Stand these are being deployed in first? Or is there going to be one in each of them?

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:33 PM

It could be built in that anybody entering with a concession ticket a different coloured light would be illuminated.

Billy Whizz
16-12-2013, 04:49 PM
We've been doing this at Celtic park for a few years now. Put the barcode part of the ticket in the slot and then push the turnstyle.

hfc rd
16-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Don't know why majority of SPL sides don't have this. It works really well down here in England. It's much quicker.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-12-2013, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=happiehibbie;3837921]

All it would take for say 4 turnstiles (evenly spaced along the stand to avoid people going into the stand at the sides then walking along rows) in each stand to be manned then the others can be self-service types.

Don’t over complicate this Hibs. It is simple and effective (if the technology works). I remember a mate who is a season ticket holder at Parkhead missed the first half it was first used there as the scanners didn’t read the cards.

I don't think we will be over complicating things the opposite in fact this should reduce costs queues at iirc QPR (one of the places Garry checked out) were almost nil and complications like blokes with X kids forgetting which ST he'd scanned were swiftly dealt with in separate gates manned for handling such sitations and yes I believe the number of gates can be reduced. As to which stands will go in which order I'm not sure the club will announce but ultimately I think it'll be introduced to all stands subject to successful pilot giving opportunities to learn before extending.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-12-2013, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=cwilliamson85;3837919]

It could be built in that anybody entering with a concession ticket a different coloured light would be illuminated.

Yes they also get a short zap to the nether regions ;)

down-the-slope
16-12-2013, 08:26 PM
IIRC 4 turnstyles in East this week end - its quicker more efficient and cost effective (most fans pitch up in last 5 mins before KO so anything that speeds it up will be great) As for why its not been done before - it takes investment in cash & staff time to investigate and procure such complicated systems (this is just one aspect of a whole range of features that will get rolled out over coming months) the no booking fees with online purchase being the first - surprised how little credit such a big bold move got :rolleyes: It has a traffic light system on turnstyle on inside so stewards can check light matches actual individual - so time is running out for those who have been defrauding our club. Being able to buy / print and turn up with a ticket and then use the self scan will be massive progress. Think of those on data base who don't live ordinarily in attending distance ... they are coming back to family for Christmas.......they can now buy / print and have ticket for festive matches before they head home

mca
16-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Think of those on data base who don't live ordinarily in attending distance ... they are coming back to family for Christmas.......they can now buy / print and have ticket for festive matches before they head home

Great for folks like us - who cant be Ar$ed traveling from down south - and waiting for the tickets for hours before the game... :agree:

when we should be in the pub.. :wink:

1two
16-12-2013, 09:47 PM
There is a traffic light system on the other side of the turnstiles

Red Light means no entry
Green Light means adult entering
Amber lights means concession entering

Obviously if a concession light is activated and a middle aged Walks in then the steward on the other side will pull him up.

One steward will be monitoring 2 or more gates.

It's not completely 'manless' but certainly will cut costs

down-the-slope
17-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Great for folks like us - who cant be Ar$ed traveling from down south - and waiting for the tickets for hours before the game... :agree:

when we should be in the pub.. :wink:

:agree: absolutely - its poor customer service to have a queue of 100's of people standing (possibly in the rain) to collect their 'purchase'

And its not a very efficient use of TO staff time either....

Also it means that a tourist heading for Edinburgh for a w/e end break (Cat B) now has the opportunity to build a trip to ER into their plans ahead of time....