PDA

View Full Version : Paul McGowan looking at jail time

Bronson
16-12-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25403705

Pleaded guilty to assaulting 2 police officers, looking a decent spell in the slammer I'd imagine.

Squealing pig
16-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I have a friend "not me honest" who has a good few police assaults and never been jailed, a harsh fine id imagine. Maybe sum c.s that will prob b a good laugh in airdrie :/ lol

Platinum Scotty
16-12-2013, 02:12 PM
would hope he does get jail time, not that I dislike the chap but he's got previous and they were only doing their jobs...assualt should carry a custodial in my slightly harsh world

Hiber-nation
16-12-2013, 02:12 PM

Pleaded guilty to assaulting 2 police officers, looking a decent spell in the slammer I'd imagine.

Ironic that one of them is a Sgt Tony Fitzpatrick!

Kojock
16-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Notice one of the cops is called Tony Fitzpatrick......:wink:

Boyle89
16-12-2013, 02:20 PM
He's done it before and is charged with 'repeatedly' kicking. Has to be jail sentence.

JimBHibees
16-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Got to be said the last two or 3 times I have seen him play Hibs he does seem to have a ridiculously short fuse and his reaction is sometimes completely disproportionate for the most innocuous of incidents.

leggeto
16-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Hope he gets off with it,polis take to many liberties in my experience

JimBHibees
16-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Ridiculous comment.

leggeto
16-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Why,remember the polis can be heavy handed when they want

BH Hibs
16-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a right prick

Pretty Boy
16-12-2013, 02:43 PM

What a stupid comment.

The Police employ thousands of people in the UK so it stands to reason there will be a few jumped up Hitlers and erseholes. There's also plenty who do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I can't think of many good reasons for repeatedly kicking someone whilst they are on the ground. It's the behaviour of a coward and a bully. I hope they throw the book at him.

Gordy M
16-12-2013, 02:45 PM
What a stupid comment.

The Police employ thousands of people in the UK so it stands to reason there will be a few jumped up Hitlers and erseholes. There's also plenty who do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I can't think of many good reasons for repeatedly kicking someone whilst they are on the ground. It's the behaviour of a coward and a bully. I hope they throw the book at him.
Well said mate, totally agree with all that. :top marks

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Why,remember the polis can be heavy handed when they want

Yes, coppers have been known to overstep the mark and instigate skirmishes, just as civilians do. Any Hibs fan who has endured 'policing' at Parkhead/Ibrox should be able to testify to that.

hibsbollah
16-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Has looked their best player last couple of times we've played them IMO. Creative. But clearly not the brightest lad.

lucky
16-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Jail should only be used to protect the public, better to fine him and get him to take kids football training. As a nation we jail to many people

leggeto
16-12-2013, 03:12 PM
What a stupid comment.

you don't know he was kicking someone on the ground but if he was then fair enough hope he does get done,but innocent untill proven guilty for me

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 03:13 PM
What a stupid comment.

Totally agree, but who's to say one of those "jumped up Hitlers and erseholes" didn't find an easy target in Paul McGowan, with his "previous" and provoked a response? If PMcG was the "ersehole" fair enough, if the police were provoking a response, it is never going to be proved.

GGTTH

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 03:15 PM
you don't know he was kicking someone on the ground but if he was then fair enough hope he does get done,but innocent untill proven guilty for me

I think by pleading guilty, he probably has, or has no "independant witness" to support him.

GGTTH

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2013, 03:16 PM

He has pleaded guilty.

What more proof would you need?

poolman
16-12-2013, 03:18 PM

Dearie me

Pretty Boy
16-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Totally agree, but who's to say one of those "jumped up Hitlers and erseholes" didn't find an easy target in Paul McGowan, with his "previous" and provoked a response? If PMcG was the "ersehole" fair enough, if the police were provoking a response, it is never going to be proved.

GGTTH

Is he famous enough that a Policeman would recognise him and know about his previous conviction to target him?

I could walk past the guy in the street and not have a clue who he was.

Given that according to reports the assault took place when the Police were trying to arrest him it suggests he was being a bit of a pest.

Aldo
16-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Really.

So it's ok for them to be kicked and punched. Get a grip

If be very surprised if he was jailed as there was not serious injury but do expect some sort of large fine and some sort community payback order.

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Is he famous enough that a Policeman would recognise him and know about his previous conviction to target him?

I could walk past the guy in the street and not have a clue who he was.

Given that according to reports the assault took place when the Police were trying to arrest him it suggests he was being a bit of a pest.

Who's saying he's famous? It could have been the same PC that arrested him before.? What was he getting arrested for, and was he guilty of that offence? Or was it easier to "prove" police assault with no independent witness? Who knows, but by your own admission, there are probably mini hitlers and erseholes employed amongst the many PC's who do a great job in difficult circumstances.

GGTTH

Leishy1995
16-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Why did he even do it? Seems a mental situation to get in when you're booting a police officer on the ground

Platinum Scotty
16-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Who's saying he's famous? It could have been the same PC that arrested him before.? What was he getting arrested for, and was he guilty of that offence? Or was it easier to "prove" police assault with no independent witness? Who knows, but by your own admission, there are probably mini hitlers and erseholes employed amongst the many PC's who do a great job in difficult circumstances.

GGTTH

are you suggesting he was the innocent party, picked on by policemen who as luck would have it were the last folks to see him "innocently" assulting someone and as there is a history of police overstepping the mark on a minor percentage of occasions it was fair game for him to "defend" himself by kicking repeatedly two policemen - thereafter to prove he was the innocent party to then declare himself guilty to save the tax payer money?

Deansy
16-12-2013, 04:05 PM

'McGowan started his career with Celtic, where he made his debut in 2007'

Cue banners proclaiming 'Innocent/Framed' etc at 'Darkheid'

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 04:10 PM
are you suggesting he was the innocent party, picked on by policemen who as luck would have it were the last folks to see him "innocently" assulting someone and as there is a history of police overstepping the mark on a minor percentage of occasions it was fair game for him to "defend" himself by kicking repeatedly two policemen - thereafter to prove he was the innocent party to then declare himself guilty to save the tax payer money?

That's a bit of a mouthful, but not suggesting he was innocent of anything. Some police have the tendency to pick on or provoke individuals, and yes, they often are the last people to see him do whatever may take their fancy, innocent or not. The percentage of police overstepping the mark, can not be proved one way or another, as IMO any misdemeanors they may commit are in the presence of their colleagues. I believe, according to the report, he only repeatedly kicked one PC, neither here nor there though. He must have caught them off guard though to repeatedly kick a PC in the presence of so many colleagues, without hitting the deck in one rapid movement. To declare himself guilty is probably better than going to trial, when probably the only witnesses present were PC's.

GGTTH

hibsbollah
16-12-2013, 04:12 PM
'McGowan started his career with Celtic, where he made his debut in 2007'

Cue banners proclaiming 'Innocent/Framed' etc at 'Darkheid'

I mentioned McGowan to a yam workmate as a decent #10, he responded with a sneeer and said he gets booed at Tinpotcastle because of his celtc connections. Whether theres a sectarian element to that I can only guess...

LioNeilMessi
16-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Not good for St Mirren, do we have anyone we can loan to them in January so they stay out of reach of the yams? :greengrin

Platinum Scotty
16-12-2013, 04:17 PM
That's a bit of a mouthful, but not suggesting he was innocent of anything. Some police have the tendency to pick on or provoke individuals, and yes, they often are the last people to see him do whatever may take their fancy, innocent or not. The percentage of police overstepping the mark, can not be proved one way or another, as IMO any misdemeanors they may commit are in the presence of their colleagues. I believe, according to the report, he only repeatedly kicked one PC, neither here nor there though. He must have caught them off guard though to repeatedly kick a PC in the presence of so many colleagues, without hitting the deck in one rapid movement. To declare himself guilty is probably better than going to trial, when probably the only witnesses present were PC's.

GGTTH

Guess I must have been lucky in all my years both in Scotland and England I have only once witnessed poor policing, and that was through at ibrox where they were less than helpful and told me to bolt, in not so pleasant terms, apart from that they have always done a decent role....

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:19 PM
To declare himself guilty is probably better than going to trial, when probably the only witnesses present were PC's.

GGTTH

Add the fact that all charge bar areas are covered by both audio and video CCTV surely that would prove that the big bad Polis were just making it up.

nonshinyfinish
16-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Not good for St Mirren, do we have anyone we can loan to them in January so they stay out of reach of the yams? :greengrin

Presumably if necessary Celtc will return the favour from '86 and allow St Mirren to hump them. :wink:

leggeto
16-12-2013, 04:20 PM
He has pleaded guilty.

were they on the ground but

Hero76
16-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Hope he gets a hefty fine. Always two sides to a story. Imo most polis are arseh9les imo ofcourse.

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:24 PM

He has pleaded guilty to repeatedly kicking one of the officers. Unless he is Kung Fu then a logical assumption would be that the officer was on the ground. Not that it really matters tho.

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Add the fact that all charge bar areas are covered by both audio and video CCTV surely that would prove that the big bad Polis were just making it up.

Are they? That would clear it up no doubt. Is that where the offence happened, at a charge bar area?

GGTTH

leggeto
He has pleaded guilty to repeatedly kicking one of the officers. Unless he is Kung Fu then a logical assumption would be that the officer was on the ground. Not that it really matters tho.

just trying to find out if he is a sneaky little **** and would do that or maybe he was just struggling, with the pcs taking a couple to the shins and the story sounds worse than it is

Jones28

Fishing or just plain talking pish?

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Are they? That would clear it up no doubt. Is that where the offence happened, at a charge bar area?

GGTTH

If the news report is accurate it states that the offences took place in Airdrie and at Coatbridge Police Office.

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:38 PM
just trying to find out if he is a sneaky little **** and would do that or maybe he was just struggling, with the pcs taking a couple to the shins and the story sounds worse than it is

He has pleaded guilty to kicking the officers to the BODY. If it was to the legs then the charge would have detailed that.

Hibs07p
16-12-2013, 04:39 PM
If the news report is accurate it states that the offences took place in Airdrie and at Coatbridge Police Office.

Inside or outside? In the back of the van or in a police cell?

GGTTH

leggeto
16-12-2013, 04:42 PM
He has pleaded guilty to kicking the officers to the BODY. If it was to the legs then the charge would have detailed that.

not very specific but are they

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Inside or outside? In the back of the van or in a police cell?

GGTTH

It says AT so who knows.

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:46 PM
not very specific but are they

Yes

Hibrandenburg
16-12-2013, 04:46 PM
He has pleaded guilty.

Yeah but what's to say that the polis didn't beat a confession out of him. Maybe even electrodes on his genitals with a bit of waterboarding thrown in for good measure. Filth dontcha know?

leggeto
16-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes

well a kick to the body could be anywhere or are the just wanting it to sound worse

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2013, 04:48 PM
already has a conviction for police assault...Mmmmm...Bar L beckons

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah but what's to say that the polis didn't beat a confession out of him. Maybe even electrodes on his genitals with a bit of waterboarding thrown in for good measure. Filth dontcha know?

Damn you're so clever.:greengrin

Kojock
16-12-2013, 04:54 PM
well a kick to the body could be anywhere or are the just wanting it to sound worse

Are you being pedantic or just trying to stir it. If it was a kick to the head, legs or BODY the charge is specific to what area is kicked. Obviously a kick to the head is more serious than a kick to the leg. For the avoidance of doubt, BODY is from the waist up and below the neck.

truehibernian
16-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Deary me :rolleyes:

leggeto
16-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Are you being pedantic or just trying to stir it. If it was a kick to the head, legs or BODY the charge is specific to what area is kicked. Obviously a kick to the head is more serious than a kick to the leg. For the avoidance of doubt, BODY is from the waist up and below the neck.

ok but seems hard to believe he got two polis on the deck and booted into them at a polis station

Kojock
16-12-2013, 05:05 PM
ok but seems hard to believe he got two polis on the deck and booted into them at a polis station

Sorry I never saw that detailed in the news report. So it's merely conjecture on your part.

Aldo
16-12-2013, 05:05 PM

Edit: not worth it

Hibrandenburg
16-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Damn you're so clever.:greengrin

I just can't win, for years I try subtle bait on my fishing trips with very little success, this time I was blatantly obvious in the hope of getting at least a few mullet. Damn and dratt! :greengrin

steviehibsleith
16-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Just heard on the news as posted above he has a previous conviction for police assault, anyone else would be looking at a small time in the clinker, intersting to see what happens.

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Can you not just except that there are idiots out there who will fight with their shadow and it needs the police to try and stop it or should we just let them away with it ????

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 08:39 PM

I think the police saw him walking along the road and picked on him to provoke response,is that what you want to hear??

You clearly dont like the police and no matter what anyone says you will still blame them for something.

leggeto
16-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Can you not just except that there are idiots out there who will fight with their shadow and it needs the police to try and stop it or should we just let them away with it ????

I know there are some idiots out there,what I was trying to say is a lot of police are no angels a minority I will say,but sometimes incidents become escalated when they step in with heavy handed tactics,think some may be upset by my posts but sorry imo

clerriehibs
16-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Does a charge differentiate between torso and legs? Because the legs are a part of the body.

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 09:04 PM
I know there are some idiots out there,what I was trying to say is a lot of police are no angels a minority I will say,but sometimes incidents become escalated when they step in with heavy handed tactics,think some may be upset by my posts but sorry imo

Yes,incidents can escalate when the police arrive,but some people just dont like them and are empty heads,always a bad combination.

silverhibee
16-12-2013, 09:07 PM

He won't get of with it, he has pleaded guilty to the charges.

On a side note the weedgie press have kept quiet about this, first time i have heard about it, can you imagine that being a Hibs player, it would have been splattered all over the press and media at the first point of it happening.

hibbymick
16-12-2013, 09:12 PM
In 2006 I was charged with assaulting 2 police officers , breach o the peace and resisting arrest whilst living near Tain in inverness-shire. The incident stemmed from me crossing a road and an unmarked car screaming round a corner and nearly knocking me over. After getting threatened with arrest for having the cheek to shout at them, i then asked them 4 times for identification as all i could see was 4 guys in jeans and T shirts in a fancy car. It got messy and i eventually got arrested and charged. The case went to court and the assaults were found not guilty as they hadnt shown me ID even though I had asked for it continuously, and they aggressively came towards me, as my witnesses confirmed. The judge ripped the proverbial out of the coppers in the court. Then had the decency to fine me for a breach which my lawyer was raging about.

hibsbollah
16-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Does a charge differentiate between torso and legs? Because the legs are a part of the body.

Thierry Gathuessi must have been the exception to this rule

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:15 PM

I find it a bit ironic that you're playing the innocent until proven guilty card for McGowan but have already decided the police officers could well have been guilty of inciting the assault.

If you had my shovel I'd be taking it back :wink:

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:17 PM
He won't get of with it, he has pleaded guilty to the charges.

On a side note the weedgie press have kept quiet about this, first time i have heard about it, can you imagine that being a Hibs player, it would have been splattered all over the press and media at the first point of it happening.

The weegie medja will be following the Hibs players around in case one of them pee's in a shop doorway after their Christmas night out. I mean that is newsworthy (apparently) :wink:

Aldo
16-12-2013, 09:17 PM
He won't get of with it, he has pleaded guilty to the charges. On a side note the weedgie press have kept quiet about this, first time i have heard about it, can you imagine that being a Hibs player, it would have been splattered all over the press and media at the first point of it happening.

Yip and certain folk would of made sure that was indeed the case.

leggeto
16-12-2013, 09:19 PM
I find it a bit ironic that you're playing the innocent until proven guilty card for McGowan but have already decided the police officers could well have been guilty of inciting the assault.

If you had my shovel I'd be taking it back :wink:

just relating to a previous personal experience with them

Sir David Gray
16-12-2013, 09:20 PM
He won't get a custodial sentence but he should.

Jonnyboy
just relating to a previous personal experience with them

Every case is different and while I can see that you're reluctant to accept that McGowan might be guilty, surely him owning up to it offers a clue as to what happened?

Aldo
Yes,incidents can escalate when the police arrive,but some people just dont like them and are empty heads,always a bad combination.

You forgot one ingredient that's usually involved and that's drink. Empty heads (as you put it) and alcohol very rarely mix.

Aldo
16-12-2013, 09:22 PM
He won't get a custodial sentence but he should.

Correct but he will (or should) get a hefty fine and some sort of Community Payback Order.

Aldo
16-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Every case is different and while I can see that you're reluctant to accept that McGowan might be guilty, surely him owning up to it offers a clue as to what happened?

Or maybe pleading guilty hides the reason the police were involved in first place??

Saves anymore embarrassment

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 09:25 PM
You forgot one ingredient that's usually involved and that's drink. Empty heads (as you put it) and alcohol very rarely mix.

Very true !!,

Depending what his previous is i doubt he will be jailed.Probably get a fine and compensation order

leggeto
16-12-2013, 09:26 PM

reckon his lawyer has encouraged him to plead guilty as don't look good for the player or club and less fuss and it will all go away

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:29 PM
reckon his lawyer has encouraged him to plead guilty as don't look good for the player or club and less fuss and it will all go away

Why would his lawyer encourage him to plead guilty if he's innocent?

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Is that you Paul??

leggeto
16-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Why would his lawyer encourage him to plead guilty if he's innocent?

if you get found guilty after pleading not guilty the sheriff we be more harsh with the sentence,and he prob has no witnesses

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:34 PM
if you get found guilty after pleading not guilty the sheriff we be more harsh with the sentence,and he prob has no witnesses

OK so do you think he did it or not? :greengrin

Aldo
16-12-2013, 09:35 PM

Give him a call and tell him you'll represent him next time. ;-)

Maybe he plead guilty cos he was guilty??

leggeto
16-12-2013, 09:36 PM
OK so do you think he did it or not? :greengrin

haha dunno mate my head is spinning now im goin for a cup of tea, wee thumbs up man

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:37 PM
haha dunno mate my head is spinning now im goin for a cup of tea, wee thumbs up man

:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
16-12-2013, 09:54 PM

What about the bollocks? Depending on the climate they can either be dangling at the knees or either side of my tonsils.

Ronniekirk
16-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Why did he even do it? Seems a mental situation to get in when you're booting a police officer on the ground
Sadly just a normal night out in Paisley these days I head up to Glasgow less bother there I though I read a recent article in the Paisley Express where he said he was a Hibby , Will ask around all my st mirren neighbours and get the inside goss.

Squealing pig
16-12-2013, 11:48 PM
The police are good at adding the word repeatedly , he contributes to there wages alot more than most in this society. Sweep it under the carpet. Im with leggeto on this innocent til proven guilty.

CropleyWasGod
16-12-2013, 11:52 PM
The police are good at adding the word repeatedly , he contributes to there wages alot more than most in this society. Sweep it under the carpet. Im with leggeto on this innocent til proven guilty.

Again. He pleaded guilty.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Not sure if you're on the wind up or not but are you suggesting those who pay higher taxes should have the odd crime 'swept under the carpet'?

And he pleaded guilty so i'm not sure what point you are making in that regard.

Squealing pig
16-12-2013, 11:56 PM
I posted after readin first page. Aye keep the jailspace for junkies and tax dodgers aka jambos and huns.

IWasThere2016
17-12-2013, 12:27 AM
A fellow team-mate of his has said he is 'very guilty' to a journo I know.

Don't ask for names - you ain't getting them :greengrin

leggeto
17-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Freedom for the paisley one,wee man with cheeky grin

CropleyWasGod
17-12-2013, 09:19 AM
I posted after readin first page. Aye keep the jailspace for junkies and tax dodgers aka jambos and huns.

Yup. Jail is the best place for addicts right enough. :rolleyes:

Killiehibbie
17-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Give him a call and tell him you'll represent him next time. ;-)

Maybe he plead guilty cos he was guilty??
Maybe he pled guilty to part of the charge in exchange for some bits being deleted. Who knows what the full story is? Mcgowan and the police involved should know but the papers will only print a small part of what is said in court.

leggeto
17-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Yup. Jail is the best place for addicts right enough. :rolleyes:

junkies are different to addicts as they will not accept their wrong doing so yes unless they get themselves sorted out then jail will follow

weonlywon6-2
17-12-2013, 12:04 PM
junkies are different to addicts as they will not accept their wrong doing so yes unless they get themselves sorted out then jail will follow

Is that not the kettle calling the pot black?

leggeto
17-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Is that not the kettle calling the pot black?

a wee bit I suppose but there is a lot who accept they have a problem and get help before they become a junkie so to call them all junkies probably wouldn't be fair on them

Monts
17-12-2013, 01:44 PM
On a more gramatical point, is it 'pleaded' or 'pled'?

Aldo
17-12-2013, 01:46 PM
On a more gramatical point, is it 'pleaded' or 'pled'?

Pled

Keith_M
17-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Is this Idiot's Day on hibs.net? There's certainly more than the average number on this thread.

Ronniekirk
17-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Pled
Or should that be Pleb Condoning mindless violence isn't acceptable behaviour Just ask the Green Brigade .there has to be consequences Just like when Her7s cheating there has to be consequences natural Justice always Prevails

LioNeilMessi
17-12-2013, 08:18 PM

That's quite a subjective definition is it not?