PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Mes que un club? Stick it!

Glory Lurker
15-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Catalanophile (Visca Catalunya!), but really how folk still get sucked in by the romantic whimsy that associates itself with this monster club is beyond me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20131212/intel-barcelona-inside-jersey/

Jones28
15-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Jesus Christ, what's the point in that?!

Sir David Gray
15-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Won't the players get booked for lifting their shirts when celebrating a goal?

Especially if it's going to reveal a commercial logo.

Onceinawhile
15-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Catalanophile (Visca Catalunya!), but really how folk still get sucked in by the romantic whimsy that associates itself with this monster club is beyond me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20131212/intel-barcelona-inside-jersey/

I genuinely thought that was a spoof.

Glory Lurker
15-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I genuinely thought that was a spoof.

Aye! I checked it for coverage elsewhere before posting. Modern football eating itself (but no doubt coming out stronger as a result, sadly).

Bishop Hibee
15-12-2013, 11:59 PM
They made the jump from no shirt sponsor to sell anything on the shirt quickly :rolleyes:
In the eyes of their fans there is no doubt they are "more than a club". I watched an "el classico" in a Catalan village pub a few years back and the whole village was packed into the boozer. Amazing atmosphere and firecrackers let off in the village square as Barca won 0-2.

There is no doubt the corporate whoring of the club and the number of tourist fans makes it more similar to other European giants like Man Utd or Real Madrid. It's all about the money and the history and the attachment of the true fan are allowed to or even encouraged to wither away.

Hibee Ryan
16-12-2013, 12:07 AM
I read it has a play on their slogan "Intel inside" i.e it's inside the strips helping to run it like with their computers? no?

Peevemor
16-12-2013, 12:10 AM
The fact that we're discussing this on here shows that it's already working in terms of publicity.

Hibercelona
16-12-2013, 12:12 AM
The fact that we're discussing this on here shows that it's already working in terms of publicity.

Exactly.

They've done something differently and it's picking up attention.

Glory Lurker
16-12-2013, 12:20 AM

You're absolutely bang on, fair point. The fact Barca has given the platform for this, though, IMHO shoots to shreds any argument that they are any different from the rest of the fat cat European football hierarchy.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Unfortunately the money crazy world of modern football means a club can't afford to have principles. Barcelona simply have to make money from corporate sponsorship.

Of course my sympathy is limited because it's because of clubs like Barcelona and their big team clique pals who have helped bring about such a situation by looking after their own self interest at the expense of everybody else.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Mental ..... But good for Barcelona, their marketing guys must be brilliant.

Nice to know that when you buy a computer its helping mega rich Barcelona get mega richer.

Advertising does work though ..... I saw a guy with MESSI on the back of his Barcelona shirt and didnt hoover for a week :greengrin

LancsHibs
16-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Viva Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona!

Rick Rude
16-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Think I preferred the getafe version from a few years ago - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1201696/Getafe-shirty-Spanish-fans-beef-La-Liga-teams-new-Burger-King-kit.html

Waxy
16-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Everytime i read a story like this, a bit passion for the game in taken out of me.

Waxy
16-12-2013, 07:05 PM
What will happen next.Intel paying a huge sum to change from Barcelona B to Intel rovers?
I hope a club never sells its soul and chucks its name for corporate type rebrand.That'd be time to chuck the game.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Everytime i read a story like this, a bit passion for the game in taken out of me.

Yep.

I just devote all my football time to watching Hibs now. Occasionally watch MOTD but haven't watched a full English, Spanish etc game for months.

**** them all. There has always been naturally bigger clubs but the way the clubs at the top of the game, new and old money alike, have manipulated everything to further their own agendas over the last couple of decades makes me sick.

I really wish they would all piss off and start an elite league featuring the Manchester Derby live from Dubai, El Clasico brought to you from Qatar and Bayern v Arsenal all the way from New York. The rest of us can just get on with it in peace.

J-C
16-12-2013, 07:18 PM

No, you only get booked if you have a message on a vest underneath, this looks like it's part of the top, so will already be approved

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Viva Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona!

This for me too.

Unfortunately I'm drawn to the underdogs. I know a few folk who have been to Barcelona and Munich and and always come back with the usual Barcelona and Bayern Munich stuff. If it was me it would be the Espanyol and 1860 Munich stuff.

Think its coz I cant help being on the side of the wee teams :greengrin

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Big deal. I hear Hearts have a new sponsor for the inside of their shirts. Mothercare

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Well they do score lpads of goals and they must be hoping the players lift their tops a lot,do that at Hibs and you will see it twice a year !

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Well they do score loads of goals and they must be hoping the players lift their tops a lot,do that at Hibs and you will see it twice a year !

Jones28
16-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Well they do score loads of goals and they must be hoping the players lift their tops a lot,do that at Hibs and you will see it twice a year !

Thought that was a bookable offence these days though?

green.and.white
16-12-2013, 10:57 PM

Why? If Hibs were offered a tonne of money to have a sponsor on the inside of our shirts, wouldn't you want the club to accept as well?

Bishop Hibee
16-12-2013, 11:04 PM
What will happen next.Intel paying a huge sum to change from Barcelona B to Intel rovers?
I hope a club never sells its soul and chucks its name for corporate type rebrand.That'd be time to chuck the game.

It's happened already http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Red_Bull_Salzburg

Thankfully, the spirit of the real Austria Salzburg was not allowed to die http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SV_Austria_Salzburg

All fans must be vigilant as to the ownership of their club. Wonga of Midlothian anyone :wink:

jacomo
17-12-2013, 12:20 AM
They made the jump from no shirt sponsor to sell anything on the shirt quickly :rolleyes:
In the eyes of their fans there is no doubt they are "more than a club". I watched an "el classico" in a Catalan village pub a few years back and the whole village was packed into the boozer. Amazing atmosphere and firecrackers let off in the village square as Barca won 0-2.

There is no doubt the corporate whoring of the club and the number of tourist fans makes it more similar to other European giants like Man Utd or Real Madrid. It's all about the money and the history and the attachment of the true fan are allowed to or even encouraged to wither away.

:agree:

Jones28
17-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Why? If Hibs were offered a tonne of money to have a sponsor on the inside of our shirts, wouldn't you want the club to accept as well?

I wouldn't.

In the same way I don't much care for stadium sponsorship.

VivaHiberņa
17-12-2013, 12:55 AM
You're absolutely bang on, fair point. The fact Barca has given the platform for this, though, IMHO shoots to shreds any argument that they are any different from the rest of the fat cat European football hierarchy.

:agree: Bang on. I've always found they're cringey "mes que un club" nonsense on par with Celtc and Liverpool's desperate victim-status attention-seeking.
The Catalan flags on shirts/this season's away kit I find particularly distasteful; I have a lot of sympathy for Catalan separatism and feel any team should be able to celebrate its roots, history and where they're from but what Barcelona are doing is playing politics, which no football club should do. It's as bad as the tricolour cuffs and collars on Celtc's away kit last season IMO.

/rant over

green.and.white
17-12-2013, 02:18 AM
I wouldn't.

Bit of a difference changing the name of the stadium compared to having a sponsor on the inside of the shirt that one one will see though.

Gatecrasher
17-12-2013, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't.

The same way some of the French tops have as much sponsorship as an F1 car I'd hate to see our tops like that.

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/french-ligue-1314_22233

Alex Trager
17-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Yep.

I just devote all my football time to watching Hibs now. Occasionally watch MOTD but haven't watched a full English, Spanish etc game for months.

**** them all. There has always been naturally bigger clubs but the way the clubs at the top of the game, new and old money alike, have manipulated everything to further their own agendas over the last couple of decades makes me sick.

I really wish they would all piss off and start an elite league featuring the Manchester Derby live from Dubai, El Clasico brought to you from Qatar and Bayern v Arsenal all the way from New York. The rest of us can just get on with it in peace.

Pretty certain arsenal have generated a lot of their own wealth, if you take the stadium for instance they have paid for that in full now. I believe arsenal are a club much like ourselves but on a much bigger scale. Hence why we get has not bought any decent players often

The Gorf
17-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Nah, the refs are probably in this as well. Watch a ref lift his shirt if he books or sends so done off. :greengrin

The Gorf
17-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Nah, the refs are probably in this as well. Watch a ref lift his shirt if he books or sends so done off. :greengrin
Sorry should read (someone) can't bl--dy spell at this time of the morning.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Intel inside. I get it. Clever.

Why are people criticising a football club for trying to maximise its revenue?

Or a company for finding innovative ways to market its product?

I wish Hibs had been able to get a deal like that.