PDA

View Full Version : SPOTY - Lawrie Reilly

Glory Lurker
15-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I see some folk have mentioned this on the Andy Murray thread, but I was very surprised, and disappointed, that Reilly didn't get a mention in the "those we have lost" section.

cleanyman
15-12-2013, 09:36 PM
I see some folk have mentioned this on the Andy Murray thread, but I was very surprised, and disappointed, that Reilly didn't get a mention in the "those we have lost" section.

same.

Eddie was remembered when he passed away

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Very poor.

With all respect there was a few names i didn't recognise in the list so can't see why Lawrie was missing

Lawrie wasn't just a Hibs legend, his goalscoring for Scotland was also fantastic.

Sir David Gray
15-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Only caught the end of the programme tonight so missed this section.

Can't believe Lawrie Reilly wasn't remembered.

I think that's a disgrace, actually.

SurferRosa
15-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Disappointed but not at all surprised. It`s the BBC.

What i did notice though was that in Linekers lead up piece to the first Andy Murray interview, he managed to mention the 1966 World Cup. Cant quite see the link myself.

BroxburnHibee
15-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Not surprised at all but there was a couple of surprises in there.

Todd Bennett and Donna Hartley were pretty well known when I was a kid and Tommy from Rocky 5!!!! When did that happen?

Frazerbob
15-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Not surprised at all but there was a couple of surprises in there.

Todd Bennett and Donna Hartley were pretty well known when I was a kid and Tommy from Rocky 5!!!! When did that happen?

Died a couple of months ago after contracting HIV in 1996.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Someone should draft the BBC a letter, pointing out the irony that one of our most famous supporters won their main award yet one of our greatest ever players didn't even get remembered!! Sidney?

Tom Hart RIP
16-12-2013, 08:07 AM
I was also disappointed about the lack of recognition for Lawrie. I don't think Bill Foukes ex Man U European Cup winner was mentioned either which I found strange.

Bighoose
16-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I was also disappointed about the lack of recognition for Lawrie. I don't think Bill Foukes ex Man U European Cup winner was mentioned either which I found strange.

Bill Foulkes was shown in the piece. Im with everyone else tho, disappointed Lawrie was not included.

7 Hills
16-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Someone should draft the BBC a letter, pointing out the irony that one of our most famous supporters won their main award yet one of our greatest ever players didn't even get remembered!! Sidney?

I sent the following through the complaints section on the BBC website this morning (they're supposed to respond within a fortnight):

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Complaint Summary: Lawrie Reilly omitted from obituaries during SPOTY

Full Complaint: I was extremely disappointed in the omission of former Hibernian and Scotland footballer, the late Lawrie Reilly, from the section of the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year 2013 programme dedicated to sporting personalities who have passed away over the last year. This marred, for me personally, what was otherwise an excellent piece of programming. It was particularly ironic that Mr. Reilly was overlooked given the fact that the main award was won by a high profile Hibernian supporter, Andy Murray. Article on Mr. Reilly at the following link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23549391

Feel free to wire in too! https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?reset=#anchor

eastterrace
16-12-2013, 08:49 PM
I sent the following through the complaints section on the BBC website this morning (they're supposed to respond within a fortnight):

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Full Complaint: I was extremely disappointed in the omission of former Hibernian and Scotland footballer, the late Lawrie Reilly, from the section of the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year 2013 programme dedicated to sporting personalities who have passed away over the last year. This marred, for me personally, what was otherwise an excellent piece of programming. It was particularly ironic that Mr. Reilly was overlooked given the fact that the main award was won by a high profile Hibernian supporter, Andy Murray. Article on Mr. Reilly at the following link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23549391

good on you also written out very well.:top marks

7 Hills
16-12-2013, 09:17 PM
good on you also written out very well.:top marks

Cheers! I never had the privilege of seeing him play, but I did have the honour of shaking his hand! If I receive a reply, I'll post it here.

:flag:

Stax
16-12-2013, 09:38 PM

YOUR COMPLAINT:

:top marksVery well worded.

JOD
16-12-2013, 09:43 PM

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Submitted my complaint as well and asked for reply :I'm waiti

7 Hills
16-12-2013, 09:45 PM
:top marksVery well worded.

Well - it was from the heart! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTpiV9mOPjo

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Good stuff!

littleplum
18-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I've complained via the website too. I usually take the geographic cultural bias of the BBC in my stride but when you look at Lawrie's achievements next to those other footballers who were rightly acknowledged then it really is an insult to the great man.

southfieldhibby
18-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Andys grandad Roy Erskine was in the crowd on sunday with Andys ma...would he not have been at Hibs at the same time as Lawrie?

Carheenlea
18-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Lawrie was, and will be remembered with great affection by Hibs fans and the club for evermore. More important than a mention on some Mickey Mouse telly show. Didn't know they still had Sport Personality of the Year to be honest.

Sir David Gray
18-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Andys grandad Roy Erskine was in the crowd on sunday with Andys ma...would he not have been at Hibs at the same time as Lawrie?

Yep.

7 Hills
17-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Received the following reply to my complaint this morning:

Thank you for contacting us about BBC One’s ‘BBC Sports Personality of the Year’, as broadcast on 15 December.

We’d like to apologise for the delay in responding to your concerns. We know our correspondents appreciate a prompt response and we regret this has not been the case on this occasion.

We understand you were unhappy Lawrie Reilly did not feature in the obituary section of the programme.

We appreciate this is something which has caused you a great deal of disappointment. We therefore raised your complaint with the editor of ‘Sports Personality of the Year’.

We’re sure you can appreciate it is very difficult to include everyone we, or our audience, would like because of time constraints. However, please be assured we would certainly not wish to cause any offence as Lawrie was an outstanding player.

Nevertheless, we appreciate you feel strongly about this. To that end, we’d like to assure you we’ve registered your comments on our daily audience log. This is a summary of audience feedback, which is made available to the programme team, senior editorial staff and management throughout the BBC. It is used to help inform future decisions about ways to improve our content.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Gemma McAleer

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

easty
17-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Received the following reply to my complaint this morning:

Thank you for contacting us about BBC One’s ‘BBC Sports Personality of the Year’, as broadcast on 15 December.

We’d like to apologise for the delay in responding to your concerns. We know our correspondents appreciate a prompt response and we regret this has not been the case on this occasion.

We understand you were unhappy Lawrie Reilly did not feature in the obituary section of the programme.

We appreciate this is something which has caused you a great deal of disappointment. We therefore raised your complaint with the editor of ‘Sports Personality of the Year’.

We’re sure you can appreciate it is very difficult to include everyone we, or our audience, would like because of time constraints. However, please be assured we would certainly not wish to cause any offence as Lawrie was an outstanding player.

Nevertheless, we appreciate you feel strongly about this. To that end, we’d like to assure you we’ve registered your comments on our daily audience log. This is a summary of audience feedback, which is made available to the programme team, senior editorial staff and management throughout the BBC. It is used to help inform future decisions about ways to improve our content.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Gemma McAleer

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

word for word what I recieved today as well.