PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Andy Murray!

Hibbyradge
15-12-2013, 07:37 PM
BBC Sports Personality of the Year on TV now.

Has a Hibs supporter ever won it before?

Winston Ingram
15-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Is the vote open?

Squealing pig
15-12-2013, 07:52 PM
No yet

ano hibby
15-12-2013, 08:02 PM
He's doing it his way....still in the shower!!

Hibbyradge
15-12-2013, 08:07 PM
It's open now!

mim
15-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Voted

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Voted.

He'll walk it.

H18sry
15-12-2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00grqnh

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Good to see St Mirren getting a wee mention for winning the League Cup. What big team did they beat in the final again?

hibbymick
15-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Done :flag:

Onceinawhile
15-12-2013, 08:18 PM
If he doesn't win it. It's a disgrace.

lucky
15-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Very emotional reading by Sue Johnston on SPOTY in memory of Ann Williams and the 96 victims of Hillsborough

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Very emotional reading by Sue Johnston on SPOTY in memory of Ann Williams and the 96 victims of Hillsborough

Tear in the eye stuff.

KB1

Couldn't agree more, very moving

Craig_in_Prague
Sucks I can't vote

JimBHibees
15-12-2013, 08:24 PM

Yep that was magnificent and truly deserved.

ronaldo7
15-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Done.:aok:

PatHead
15-12-2013, 08:26 PM

:agree:

PatHead
15-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Voted for Our Andy

HibbyAndy
15-12-2013, 08:27 PM

I welled up im not ashamed to admitt

Hibs Class
15-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Hannah Cockroft is pretty inspirational, but voted for Andy

leither17
15-12-2013, 08:28 PM
here is that erse Froch

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 08:44 PM
No mention of Lawrie Reilly in the memorial section?

reidy
15-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Was gutted they didn't mention Laurie Reilly in the memorial section.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2013, 08:47 PM
How could they overlook Fergie's Aberdeen Achievements!!!!!

Framie
15-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Joke never recognised any of they names no mention of Lawrie confirms what we always knew we are nobodies to them EBC

Ronniekirk
15-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Was gutted they didn't mention Laurie Reilly in the memorial section.
An absolute disgrace but what you would expect Let's see if ferguson gives him a mention or just panders to English nonsense

Hibs Class
15-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Very poor indeed.

Ronniekirk
15-12-2013, 08:57 PM
BBC Sports Personality of the Year on TV now.

Has a Hibs supporter ever won it before?
No idea but they have now Well done Andy:flag:

Hibercelona
15-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Well done son! :thumbsup:

PatHead
How did they have the trophy there for a live vote? Fix if you ask me.

Pretty Boy
Good stuff.

Could make a case for all of them but the expectation levels on Murray are something else.

thebakerboy
15-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Hibby wins , great well done son.

BroxburnHibee
15-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Fake trophy IMO

surreyhibbie
15-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Well deserved Andy!

:greengrin

3pm
15-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Cannae wait to read the @JKBmeltdown tweets about a good Hibby winning!!!

Ronniekirk
15-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Good stuff.

Could make a case for all of them but the expectation levels on Murray are something else.
Agree Not so sure about the personality bit though

weonlywon6-2
Brilliant,well.done Andy

PatHead
Fake trophy IMO

Just love a conspiracy theory!

Serious well done Andy

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 09:08 PM
No English in the top 3 either.

How does that sit with the chip on the shoulder brigade?

hungryhibs
15-12-2013, 09:09 PM
was always going to win that after Wimbledon :hibees:hibees

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Strolled it

PatHead
15-12-2013, 09:13 PM
No English in the top 3 either.

How does that sit with the chip on the shoulder brigade?

Just shows how we could survive without them.

The Voice Of Reason
15-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Well done Andy ! :greengrin

:flag:

Gus Fring
15-12-2013, 09:25 PM

The trophy was in a helicopter halfway between Leeds and Florida once it was obvious who was winning it they flew it over.

Seriously though, it'll be the replica. Like most of these things he won't get the actual trophy he'll just get a replica. He doesn't have the Wimbledon trophy either, that goes straight back into the LTA trophy cabinet.

heretoday
15-12-2013, 09:28 PM
It's just a PR job for the flipping BBC but well done anyway, lad. I hope there are many proper trophies in the future.

I dunno what it is about Andy Murray but I get very upset when people, usually from the south, criticise him for being "too serious".

They just don't get his irony do they? He's funny and charming and he can marry my daughter any day.

I won't be hard to deal with. :cool2:

Jones28
15-12-2013, 10:01 PM
No question as to who would win it really.

Well done Andy!

Squealing pig
15-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Voted for him twice, quite gutted i just read in the daily mail he was 28/1 to win :(

Onceinawhile
15-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Voted for him twice, quite gutted i just read in the daily mail he was 28/1 to win :(

I think he was 28/1 on to win. Not against

Sir David Gray
15-12-2013, 10:52 PM
There was no other option but to give it to Murray.

Winning Wimbledon in the summer was an incredible achievement and if it had gone to anyone else, it would have been a farce.

OsloHibs
15-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Well Done Andy :not worth

Hibs90
15-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Winning Wimbledon in the summer was an incredible achievement and if it had gone to anyone else, it would have been a farce.

I agree but I wouldn't have been surprised at all if he never.

Swedish hibee
15-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Go Andy! :applause:

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Whilst i agree Murray had to win because of the historical nature of his achievement, all the nominees achievements were incredible.

Winning arguably the moat gruelling sporting event going and helping to restore the reputation of cycling is incredible.

Riding 4000 winners and coming back from injuries that would end the career of many sportsmen and women is incredible.

Turning around the Americas cup and leading a team to one of the great sporting comebacks is incredible.

Captaining a Lions team to victory for the 1st time in years is incredible.

Winning and defending disabled sport world titles and winning Paralympic titles and inspiring other disabled sports stars is incredible.

Being player of the series in one of the great sporting rivalries is incredible

Being the 1st British women to win 3 world titles in the same event is incredible.

Breaking the 1500m world record and winning a world title in the 5000m and 10000m is incredible.

Winning the US Open is incredible.

I agree Murray should have won and i'm glad he did but had any of the others won it would hardly have been a farce. Each of them won a major titles or titles in their chose sport exactly the same as Murray did.

Squealing pig
15-12-2013, 11:23 PM

Not according to what i read but i could b wrong

Sir David Gray
15-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Whilst i agree Murray had to win because of the historical nature of his achievement, all the nominees achievements were incredible.

Winning arguably the moat gruelling sporting event going and helping to restore the reputation of cycling is incredible.

Riding 4000 winners and coming back from injuries that would end the career of many sportsmen and women is incredible.

Turning around the Americas cup and leading a team to one of the great sporting comebacks is incredible.

Captaining a Lions team to victory for the 1st time in years is incredible.

Winning and defending disabled sport world titles and winning Paralympic titles and inspiring other disabled sports stars is incredible.

Being player of the series in one of the great sporting rivalries is incredible

Being the 1st British women to win 3 world titles in the same event is incredible.

Breaking the 1500m world record and winning a world title in the 5000m and 10000m is incredible.

Winning the US Open is incredible.

I agree Murray should have won and i'm glad he did but had any of the others won it would hardly have been a farce. Each of them won a major titles or titles in their chose sport exactly the same as Murray did.

Murray became the first British male to win Wimbledon for almost 80 years.

Considering the ridiculous amount of pressure that is on Murray each June/July, his achievements are all the more remarkable.

It would have been absurd to think that he wouldn't have won this award this year.

Squealing pig
15-12-2013, 11:40 PM

My apologys ur right. Thank god id have been gutted

Beefster
16-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Murray got more votes that everyone else combined. Just as it should have been too.

Stevie Reid
16-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Absolutely delighted for Andy.

Here's a Charlie Brooker article on him from 2012, absolutely spot on: -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/08/andy-murray-not-miserable-just-normal

Andy Murray: not miserable, just normal

So what if he never smiles? Can't he just play tennis without having to pull a happy face for you?

Congratulations to Andy Murray (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/andymurray), who either did or didn't win Wimbledon (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/wimbledon)this afternoon. Since I'm writing this almost immediately before the match itself kicks off, I've got no way of knowing what the outcome was. Is. Will be. Whatever.

I think I can safely predict one thing, though: whatever happens, win or lose, in the post-game interview, he won't do a double thumbs-up, gurn joyously down the lens, waggle his tongue around like Gazza, then moonwalk off, waving, grinning, and making comedy trombone noises. That's not the Andy Murray we know and sort of love.

People say Murray's miserable because he doesn't smile very often. He's not miserable. He's normal. Have you walked down a street recently? Any street in the country? Go on, pick one. Take a stroll. Bring a notepad. Make a note each time you spot someone walking around beaming like they just taught their dog to **** money. Chances are you'll cross six postcodes before you glimpse so much as a smirk. Which isn't to say people are inherently unhappy. Just that they've got better things to do with their faces than walking around bending their mouths up like idiots.

The people who want Murray to smile are the same ones who try to make me dance at weddings. They want the world to conspicuously enjoy itself in a manner of their choosing, and they turn vaguely sanctimonious when they encounter pockets of resistance, as though their definition of fun is the only one that matters.

So Murray isn't going to win the Merryville Festival of Grins any time soon. What difference does it make to you, you needy pricks? Can't he just play tennis (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/tennis) without having to turn around after each point and pull a happy face just for you, like he's your dad watering plants in the garden and you're a toddler watching him through the kitchen window? What do you want, a tennis champion or Mister Tumble? Make your mind up, because you're not getting both.

Perhaps part of the confusion is that despite being very much in the public eye, Murray refuses to play along with the patronising emotionalism demanded by the media, where sporting stars are expected to put on showy displays of "passion" that look good in a highlights package at the end of the show. If you're not a natural cartwheels-of-victory type, it must be a pain in the arse to know everyone's expectantly gauging your reaction. You know how when you're opening a birthday present in front of a crowd, all your brain can do is scream: "FOR GOD'S SAKE LOOK DELIGHTED!" at you? Multiply that by ten million. I'd say Murray's ability to ignore this pressure is almost more impressive than his racquet skills.

Moments after beating Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the semi-final (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/06/andy-murray-wimbledon-final-jo-wilfried-tsonga?newsfeed=true), Murray was interviewed by the BBC's Garry Richardson, who found himself repeatedly trying to squeeze some kind of rousing sentiment from a man intent on describing the game in technical terms, like a straight-faced IT consultant explaining how he fixed a problem with the server.

After trying and failing to get him to describe the match as a rollercoaster of emotions, Richardson brought up Murray's mum and dad, who'd been sitting in the audience. "What can it possibly have been like, Andy, for your parents watching there?" he asked, presumably hoping to prompt a moment of choked-up pride. Murray handed him a cold stone in return.

"I've no idea," he replied, deadpan. "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." And there was a glimmer of a dark smirk at the end, the kind that doesn't register in a world in which all emotions must be expressible as emoticons and interior happiness is required to be rendered visible from a range of 200 metres.

That's precisely the kind of sporting hero we need. One who's allergic to bull**** and treats the whole thing like a job that rather than a tear-jerked spiritual calling. He seems to want to ignore the media. Trouble is, he's so bloody good at tennis, the media can't ignore him. But like a bluebottle repeatedly bashing its face against a windowpane, it continually tries and fails to turn him into yet another easily digested celebrity. "Celebrity" is increasingly the only role the media can process, yet it's a role in which Murray looks about as comfortable as a dog on rollerblades.

In the run-up to the Wimbledon final (which, at the risk of repeating myself, hasn't happened at the time of writing), press and broadcasters alike routinely described Murray as some kind of symbolic vessel containing all British hope. All our dreams, all our aspirations – all on his shoulders, apparently. Poor ****er.

The strong implication was that if he won, it'd solve all our national neuroses at a stroke: like England won Euro 2012, like Barclays behaved, like Diana never died. We'd be commanded to stand outside collectively waving union flags as though trying to attract the attention of some huge intergalactic queen bee hovering somewhere above the atmosphere. But if, on the other hand, he lost we'd either tut and say it's typical – because we're allowed to be grouchy, but the people we pointlessly entrust with our sense of national self-worth aren't – or, more likely, be expected to sit soggy-eyed watching a slow-motion montage of his disappointed face, cut to something mournful-but-unthreatening with a hint of Coldplay about it. Because if he won't supply the emotion, goddamit, we'll make the soundtrack do it on his behalf.

heretoday
16-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Charlie Brooker rules! Just don't get him onto computer games- yawn. I like the bit about some people who try to press gang you into dancing at weddings! They ought to be shot.

jacomo
17-12-2013, 11:04 AM

That makes more sense. 28/1 would be mental, he was the clear favourite.