PDA

View Full Version : Social media and idiot football fans

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Was having a browse on Facebook earlier and there seems to be a bit of a storm brewing over a Spurs fan who has posted something along the lines of 'I'd rather lose 5 than 96'. This is only a couple of weeks after the Hearts fan and the comments about Celtic and the helicopter clash.

Is this kind of thing something that has become more common in recent years? Do people think they have some kind of anonymity on the internet? Or has this thing always gone on but the internet means what may have been a throwaway comment in the boozer is there for all to see when sobriety strikes?

Football rivalry and a bit edgy banter is fine but i just don't see anything funny in the comments i mentioned above.

nonshinyfinish
15-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Was having a browse on Facebook earlier and there seems to be a bit of a storm brewing over a Spurs fan who has posted something along the lines of 'I'd rather lose 5 than 96'. This is only a couple of weeks after the Hearts fan and the comments about Celtic and the helicopter clash.

Is this kind of thing something that has become more common in recent years? Do people think they have some kind of anonymity on the internet? Or has this thing always gone on but the internet means what may have been a throwaway comment in the boozer is there for all to see when sobriety strikes?

Football rivalry and a bit edgy banter is fine but i just don't see anything funny in the comments i mentioned above.

Bit in bold is right IMO, I don't think it's new, just more visible.

It's a horrible, callous thing to say, no matter whether only a handful of people would hear it in a pub or whether thousands can read it on the internet.

One Day
15-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Before people would say something, more often than not after a few beers, in trusted company, now they put it online where millions can read it before they sober up and can remove it. Im glad im old and dont understand all this face book and twitter stuff.

Hibercelona
15-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Social media is for people who are too cowardly to voice their opinions openly. A camp for the keyboard tough guys.

NOLA
15-12-2013, 07:56 PM
'id rather lose 5 than 96' was something i seen on twitter, quite witty so soon after the game. easy to say things on social media knowing it will get seen all around the world in a short space of time without any consequences, freedom of speech and all that.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I blame Frankie Boyle.

Gettin' Auld
15-12-2013, 08:19 PM
'id rather lose 5 than 96' was something i seen on twitter, quite witty so soon after the game. easy to say things on social media knowing it will get seen all around the world in a short space of time without any consequences, freedom of speech and all that.
You think stuff like that is witty?

Of course there's consequences for what someone types.......Plenty people have been tracked down by plod and nailed for it.

Freedom Of Speech doesn't mean that people can type any offensive pish they want.

Hibercelona
15-12-2013, 08:22 PM
You think stuff like that is witty?

Of course there's consequences for what someone types.......Plenty people have been tracked down by plod and nailed for it.

Freedom Of Speech doesn't mean that people can type any offensive pish they want.

I think there was an element of sarcasm to NOLA's post.

Gettin' Auld
15-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I think there was an element of sarcasm to NOLA's post.
Sarcasm is something else that doesn't come over very well on the internet either.......

Robinho08
15-12-2013, 08:26 PM

It's a horrible, callous thing to say, no matter whether only a handful of people would hear it in a pub or whether thousands can read it on the internet.

This.

You say something in the pub, your mates say that's no funny and it's forgotten. Post it on the t'internet and it could haunt you for a long time particularly if your famous.

pontius pilate
15-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Sorry but comments line those mentioned is not banter or even funny peoples lives have been lost and for anybody to post comments like these on any social media sites really needs a wake up call and shaken into reality. How anybody could think that 96 people going to a game and not coming back is a funny thing to say after you're team losing a game of football is beyond me.

Hibbyradge
It's ignorance on a number of levels.

Social media allows ordinary people the opportunity to publish their views to the world without censorship.

It's nothing like chatting to your mate in the pub.

If you publish, then you're subject to publishing rules. If you don't want to be subject to those rules, just chat to your mate in the pub instead.

Jonnyboy
Sorry but comments line those mentioned is not banter or even funny peoples lives have been lost and for anybody to post comments like these on any social media sites really needs a wake up call and shaken into reality. How anybody could think that 96 people going to a game and not coming back is a funny thing to say after you're team losing a game of football is beyond me.

This 100%

nonshinyfinish
15-12-2013, 08:45 PM
It's ignorance on a number of levels.

Social media allows ordinary people the opportunity to publish their views to the world without censorship.

It's nothing like chatting to your mate in the pub.

If you publish, then you're subject to publishing rules. If you don't want to be subject to those rules, just chat to your mate in the pub instead.

You're quite right, the potential consequences are very different when you post something for everyone to see on the internet.

The problem is that too many people approach Twitter/Facebook/etc exactly as they would a conversation in the pub.

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 08:53 PM
In the all seated stadiums within which football now takes place, the thought that you could easily have fallen victim to something like Hillsborough probably never occurs to modern day football fans.

When you are as old as I am, you know just how easily it could have been you.

A truly odious thing to say and the individual deserves all that comes their way.

It's a great pity rivalry and respect have been replaced by hatred and loathing and why many older fans now turn there back on football and don't recognise what it has become.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Social media is for people who are too cowardly to voice their opinions openly. A camp for the keyboard tough guys.

The stupid morons joke would perhaps be better told in a Liverpool Pub, after all the Liverpudlian sense of humour is well known and the good news is that the Blue half of the city would react equally positively to such a witty pun as the Red half so which pub wont matter. Perhaps he should give it a go.

Its an interesting opinion Hibercelona. There are certain times when a comment by someone no matter what medium is used to deliver it deserves nothing better than a good punch in the pus and nobody would blame whoever did it coz the subject matter is so obviously detestable.

But, there is another way to look at the Keyboard tough guy scenario. There is a fair number of people in the world who's immediate answer to someone having a different opinion from them is to resort to violence. Folk who think that the measure of a real life 'tough guy' is a person who thinks that the deciding factor in any argument is who can throw the best punch ... 'You've lost the argument coz I've just knocked out 3 of your teeth' sort of guys ..... we've all met them.

So from that point of view social media aint a bad thing for those of us who would like to be able to put forward a reasoned argument on various subjects no matter how controversial without the prospect of ending up in A & E for having an opinion. By that I dont mean that its acceptable for folk to dish out unprovoked personal abuse and insults from behind their keyboard when they wouldnt dare do it in real life ...... that is being a keyboard tough guy.

weonlywon6-2
16-12-2013, 07:14 PM

This exactly.Many comments wil be said on terraces and in pubs but people say what comes into there head without thinking of the consequences