PDA

View Full Version : Saturday v St J and the next 3 games

1two
15-12-2013, 11:34 AM
To me the next 4 games will dictate how our league campaign will turn out.

St Johnstone H
Ross County A
Kilmarnock H
Hearts H

We're 7th, 4 points behind 6th place St Johnstone and 9 points behind 5th placed Motherwell.

A win on Saturday and a decent haul against the rest should hopefully see us in 6th and looking up at the the others above us for the second half of the season.

A loss on Saturday and we'll be 7 points behind the top 6 (st j with a game in hand). A poor run in the following 3 and we'll then cement our place in the bottom 6.

In previous years where a new manager has come in we seem to accept the league that year as a write off. Whilst I would agree that a new manager should always get a chance to make his own mark on the team with his own signings etc, lets hope butcher has other plans.

Apart from St Johnstone all these teams are currently below us in the league and definitely beatable.
Apart from Ross County all the fixtures are at home.

All the games are winnable.

So no pressure Terry and the team but the Xmas period could be a massive month for us.

GreenCastle
15-12-2013, 12:06 PM

St Johnstone H
Ross County A
Kilmarnock H
Hearts H

We're 7th, 4 points behind 6th place St Johnstone and 9 points behind 5th placed Motherwell.

A win on Saturday and a decent haul against the rest should hopefully see us in 6th and looking up at the the others above us for the second half of the season.

A loss on Saturday and we'll be 7 points behind the top 6 (st j with a game in hand). A poor run in the following 3 and we'll then cement our place in the bottom 6.

In previous years where a new manager has come in we seem to accept the league that year as a write off. Whilst I would agree that a new manager should always get a chance to make his own mark on the team with his own signings etc, lets hope butcher has other plans.

Apart from St Johnstone all these teams are currently below us in the league and definitely beatable.

So no pressure Terry and the team but the Xmas period could be a massive month for us.

:agree:

I would take 3 wins at home now and a point away at Ross County (to help them keep the gap with the yams :greengrin).

Seriously though all 4 are winnable - but one of our main problems is still scoring goals - without goals we are going to struggle.

Not getting into the Top 6 would be a farce - the only plus being a final game against the yams but I would rather we worried about ourselves and got into the top 6.

Looking at the gap between us and 6th (St Johnstone) it's 4 points now - with them having a game in hand now (as yesterday's game V Partick was abandoned).

7th is about where we should be right now but our form has to pick up if we want to make top 6.

The 2 worrying things - the gap between 5th (Motherwell) and us in 7th = 10 points! I can't see us catching 5th anytime soon.

At the bottom Ross County have got some tough games ahead in the next few weeks - they could really see the gap between them and the yams closed if the yams manage to get something against Killie / St Mirren or us in the next few weeks.

Billy Whizz
15-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I think we need at least 9/10 points from these fixtures, as the 2 games after them are Dundee Utd and Aberdeen away

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Win
Win
Win
Emphatic GIRFUY win.

If i was being optimistic.

All those games are winnable but the opposition in each of them will be saying exactly the same about us. Good attitude, same energy levels and discipline and a wee bit more self belief and we will do ok.

Heisenberg
15-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Should be winning all of these games if we are to make top six and push up the league.

theonlywayisup
15-12-2013, 02:40 PM

St Johnstone H
Ross County A
Kilmarnock H
Hearts H

Three games at home in the space of three weeks. And our record at home has been terrible as shown below. Only two home wins in 2013 and one of these against a relegated Dundee. Five wins and a draw at the start of the 202/13 season is our best run. Next, three home wins in February 2011.

Season 13/14 - one home league win out of eight
Season 12/13 - seven home league wins out of nineteen but all but two were prior to the middle of November (i.e. only wins against Celtic & Dundee after then)
Season 11/12 - two league wins out of nineteen, one in September and one in May (the relegation decider)
Season 10/11 - five league wins out of nineteen
Season 09/10 - nine league wins out of nineteen - was nine in fifteen with only two losses each against the Old Firm.

Also, since the 7th March 2010, we have won 15 games out of 69 games, drawing 24 and losing 30 - i.e. our win % at home is only 22%, whilst our loss % is 44%.

Grim, grim reading. The fact that our support is still there is amazing considering the lack of wins.

Ronniekirk
15-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Three games at home in the space of three weeks. And our record at home has been terrible as shown below. Only two home wins in 2013 and one of these against a relegated Dundee. Five wins and a draw at the start of the 202/13 season is our best run. Next, three home wins in February 2011.

Season 12/13 - seven home league wins out of nineteen but all but two were prior to the middle of November (i.e. only wins against Celtic & Dundee after then)
Season 11/12 - two league wins out of nineteen, one in September and one in May (the relegation decider)
Season 09/10 - nine league wins out of nineteen - was nine in fifteen with only two losses each against the Old Firm.

Also, since the 7th March 2010, we have won 15 games out of 69 games, drawing 24 and losing 30 - i.e. our win % at home is only 22%, whilst our loss % is 44%.

Grim, grim reading. The fact that our support is still there is amazing considering the lack of wins.
The point you make about support given those stats is a good one. but to increase that support and get into the top six we need a proven goal scorer

greenlex
15-12-2013, 03:35 PM
One things for sure. The management team wont be targeting just a top 6. Whens the Heff back?

Nailrod
15-12-2013, 03:52 PM

St Johnstone H
Ross County A
Kilmarnock H
Hearts H

Irrelevant to be honest. None of these games are against any genuine top six sides. We can put together a run of games against the teams behind us, but until we show some appetite/aptitude for beating top six sides, we might as well resign ourselves to challenging to be the best of the also-rans. Nine attempts this year and we've won one - against St Johnstone. Which is pretty much in keeping with the last four or five seasons. I think it was season 2011-12 that we won 1 out of 20 against the teams that ultimately finished in the top 6.

greenlex
15-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Irrelevant to be honest. None of these games are against any genuine top six sides. We can put together a run of games against the teams behind us, but until we show some appetite/aptitude for beating top six sides, we might as well resign ourselves to challenging to be the best of the also-rans. Nine attempts this year and we've won one - against St Johnstone. Which is pretty much in keeping with the last four or five seasons. I think it was season 2011-12 that we won 1 out of 20 against the teams that ultimately finished in the top 6.Its hardly irrelevent to our season as whole though is it? Cheer up ya miserable sod FFS.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2013, 04:00 PM
If things carry on as before, we will get the odd win and draw, but lose quite regularly. I have always said the manager should manage what he has, not what he might get in when its his time to bring players to the club.

We need wins NOW, and we will see what Terry and his management team are all about this coming month, the transfer window will take care of itself, and other transfer windows, but we need strong and good management and better tactics now, that gets an extra 10% we require to wins games now.

Nailrod
15-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Its hardly irrelevant to our season as whole though is it? Cheer up ya miserable sod FFS.Well, no. Not if you're on the edge of your seat about whether we'll finish 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th.

Brightside
15-12-2013, 04:22 PM
We win all 4 games - no doubt about it.

GreenCastle
15-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Interesting - but not surprising reading.

Agree about the support - how anyone can criticise our support is beyond me.

Anyway - we need to seriously improve our home form and consistency as a team. They are winnable games but as I've said above we need to start scoring and until Harris and Heff are back we don't look that likely to score more than 1 per game. So if the team we play scores 1st - then we have big problems. We are the lowest scoring team in the league with only 10 goals! Even the yams have scored 3 more than us!!

Shows also have bad we have been the last few years with the dross managers in charge.:rolleyes:

Archie70
15-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Win
Chuck
Win
Win

BOB MARLEYS DUG
15-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Win
Draw
Win
Win

cabbageandribs1875
15-12-2013, 05:52 PM

a lot of us will remember times when other teams were feart of a trip to ER tae :agree: absolutely disgraceful whoever's fault/responsibility this is...He/they should be ashamed

Onceinawhile
15-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Id be very disappointed with less than 8 points. I don't doubt we've improved since tb came in, but whether we've done so enough to beat st Johnstone or not is a different question.

greenlex
15-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Well, no. Not if you're on the edge of your seat about whether we'll finish 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th.
FFS you've got it bad eh? I think the relevance of the original post was that if we don't do well in these games we won't be in a position to challenge at the. Top end of the table. They are very relevant.

hfc rd
16-12-2013, 05:24 PM
W
D
W
Unpredictable (they always up their game whenever it's a derby plus we don't seem to handle it well, whenever we are given the "favourites" tag in a derby)

GreenCastle
16-12-2013, 05:44 PM
We really need to be in the top 6 as it will bring the club extra revenue of visiting fans etc after split.

We need to start picking up more points soon.

Steve20
16-12-2013, 06:43 PM
We hardly score any goals, so it's not likely we win all four. I reckon we will get about 7 points.

1two
03-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Draw
Win
Win
Win

That'll do Terry, that'll do

Dashing Bob S
03-01-2014, 11:52 AM
We've had a great festive period and look a different team. TB has us improving steadily every game.