PDA

View Full Version : The cake without the icing

Northernhibee
15-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Contrary to some opinions on here I actually think we have the basis of a very good squad indeed - now Butcher's come in we're defending well most of the time, getting the ball forward with urgency, getting crosses in the box - we're just missing that special something that requires good, solid professionals around them.

Robertson, Collins, Hanlon, Stevenson, Nelson, Maybury etc. are all very good professionals and would make the squads of most SPL teams but aren't the sort of players who get you out of your seat - truth be told I think we're missing a handful of players who can get you out of your seat but rely on solid if unspectacular pros around them to do the unsexy stuff.

I really think we're close to a good squad here, I really do.

Big Ed
15-12-2013, 01:33 AM
Contrary to some opinions on here I actually think we have the basis of a very good squad indeed - now Butcher's come in we're defending well most of the time, getting the ball forward with urgency, getting crosses in the box - we're just missing that special something that requires good, solid professionals around them.

Robertson, Collins, Hanlon, Stevenson, Nelson, Maybury etc. are all very good professionals and would make the squads of most SPL teams but aren't the sort of players who get you out of your seat - truth be told I think we're missing a handful of players who can get you out of your seat but rely on solid if unspectacular pros around them to do the unsexy stuff.

I sort of agree: I think the squad needs tweeking, rather than a complete overhaul.

We have no pace (except Harris), our passing is both pedestrian and poor and we don’t have a natural goalscorer.

Having said that, I think that the addition of two or three players (in the right positions) could make a difference.

Col2
15-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Addition of pace, width and a goalscorer.

Option 1 - Kenny Miller gives all of them.

Option 2 - Billy Mckay would be longer term option. Get both and we will be flying.

Option 3 - A Right Back.

Players Returning - Harris back, The Heff fit again.

And i think we would be transformed.

Spike Mandela
15-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Hit the nail on the head with this analysis. Whilst Butcher is doing and saying all the right things we are still really boring to watch imo. If he can add some players who really fit in to his attacking philosophy we might become a top six team that is exciting to watch. Limited to current personnel we will never come close to current Aberdeen, Utd or ICT teams

EdinMike
15-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't get were people are getting this idea (or clinging hope) that we would be able to sign McKay. Didn't he sign a 2 year extension before the summer and Caley knocked back a £350,000 offer in the summer too ?!

Borderhibbie76
15-12-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't get were people are getting this idea (or clinging hope) that we would be able to sign McKay. Didn't he sign a 2 year extension before the summer and Caley knocked back a £350,000 offer in the summer too ?!
I agree mate...no chance. Sadly

EdinMike
15-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I agree mate...no chance. Sadly

Just looked it up it was £375,000 Caley refused. This ain't gonna happen, full faith in Marsella unearthing an unknown of similar quality !

SanFranHibs
15-12-2013, 11:02 AM
If it could score occaionally.

If you look at the league table we are reasonably stingy in defence (I'm talking League) even though we can see it is not through being overly accomplished. But credit where we can give it, 16 goals is not horrendous. Could be improved but it is not the resl story. We all know what that is. The lowest goals scored. 10. Three less than the joint second lowest league scorers, Partick and Hearts.

Hard to see where the goals will come from consistently from this squad. Although we do need more pace and creativity, fact is, even when we have good spells which might even be an entire half, Hearts in Cup and Celtic yesterday, no-one seems able to put the ball in the net.

But I am trying to remain positive. I really do believe Butcher will manage to instill organization and eventually some confidence but he definitely needs a decent signing or two in the New Year and hopefully a younger lad like Cummings breaking in.

I know we 'need' a right back but in my opinion we should be concentrating on our midfield and front line issues which in itself would help remove some pressure from the defence. Then next summer Butcher & Co can concentrate on assembling his squad. Assuming Hearts have not bought ll the good players in January like their fans seem to think they can :wink:

ALL WE ARE SAAAAAAYING.....IS GIVE US SOME GOALS!!

if only things were so simple :wink:

:flag:

B.H.F.C
15-12-2013, 11:32 AM
A right back is essential if we are to improve. At the moment we have Clancy the crock, a 35 year old Maybury who can be steady at best and Mullen. Forster stuck to his task yesterday but he's not a right back I don't think. He has the potential to be a good centre half and I'd rather let him progress there even if it means he misses some games here and there. Seen too many players ruined by them being shunted about. McGivern has had a few shockers and Stevenson was better in the games he played at left back but I still think we need to sort the right side out first.

From what Butcher says he expects a lot of creativity from out wide. In his 4 games the boys playing there haven't given enough in that sense. Stevenson had a good game at Dingwall and Cairney showed glimpses last week but he was very, very poor yesterday. We need more from that position and I'd hope Harris in can help in that sense but I can see that being an area that Butcher looks to do something in January for.

Up front we have strikers who might score goals when chances are created but we could be doing with someone to compliment that either with pace to run in behind or with a bit of skill.

There are some decent players in the squad but too many are too similar. Also think we will see one or two outgoings in January. Yesterday Thomson got about 10 minutes, OTJ and Taiwo didn't play. That'll be 3 pretty decent wages and if Butcher isn't going to be using them as looks likely then someone (likely Thomson) is going to go to free up a wage. I think 3 central midfielders playing 10 minutes between them yeaterday just typifies the imbalance of the squad Butcher inherited.

Northernhibee
15-12-2013, 01:30 PM
From our current team I'd like us to go with:

Williams

Taiwo Nelson Hanlon McGivern

Zoubir Robertson Craig Cairney

Collins Cummings

Taiwo would need some training for playing RB but as others have said on here he possesses all the required traits to be a good quality RB. Zoubir and Cairney can both take men on out wide and Robertson offers something else going forward in central midfield. Cummings has directness and pace and Collins has the work effort to buy Cummings the space he'll need.