PDA

View Full Version : Less well known names from the past

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Some of these guys failed to impress, some weren't given the chance to (arguably). Any memories you'd like to share?

Defender Derek Anderson signed from Ayr Utd in 98/99 and left for Morton. 6 appearances

Midfielder Stuart Beedie signed from Dundee Utd in 86/87 and left for Dunfermline. 12 apps/3 goals

Forward John Brogan signed from St Johnstone in 84/85 and left for Hamilton. 7 apps/1 goal

Midfielder Ian Cameron signed from Partick Th in 96/97 and left for Raith. 22 apps/0 goals

Midfielder Pat Carroll signed from Sauchie in 74/75 and left for Raith. 24 apps/0 goals

Midfielder Mike Conroy signed in 82/83 from Celtic and left for Blackpool. 39 apps/4 goals

Forward Kenny Davidson signed 70/71 from Loanhead and left for Dunfermline. 26 apps/6 goals

Forward Graham Fyfe signed 76/77 from Rangers and left for Dumbarton. 18 apps/1 goal

BH Hibs
14-12-2013, 10:24 PM
John Brogan forgot we signed him

c31
14-12-2013, 10:25 PM
I've got a vague memory of Pat Carroll scoring at Tanadice direct from a corner, trust your stats though

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:25 PM
John Brogan forgot we signed him

He scored goals for fun when with St Johnstone and it took about three attempts to get him. Left his shooting boots in Perth obviously

hibbybob
14-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Mike Conroy - I've watched Hibs for more than 40 years and,for me, he stands out as the biggest waste of space ever!

heretoday
14-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Kenny Davidson was a popular left-sided midfielder in the Cropley mould but without his skill and power.

Bostonhibby
14-12-2013, 10:34 PM
He scored goals for fun when with St Johnstone and it took about three attempts to get him. Left his shooting boots in Perth obviously

Always wanted brogan to sign for us, and then he did and it was a disappointment.

Graham Fyfe, we got him and Ally Scott from der hun with Ian munro going the other way, we got done. Enough said both these boys were hopeless.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Always wanted brogan to sign for us, and then he did and it was a disappointment.

Graham Fyfe, we got him and Ally Scott from der hun with Ian munro going the other way, we got done. Enough said both these boys were hopeless.

Aint that the truth :agree:

Hiber-nation
14-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Mike Conroy - I've watched Hibs for more than 40 years and,for me, he stands out as the biggest waste of space ever!

Where the hell did the 4 goals come from??!? Suppose I was only at 1 of the games right enough. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6287

Crowd of 3,762 for a home league game in September...jeez.

Golden Bear
14-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I seem to remember a waif like Kenny Davidson scoring a cracking goal in the very early minutes of his debut game. We were shooting 'downhill' and the cave (without seats) was in existance but no idea whom the opposition were.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:51 PM
I seem to remember a waif like Kenny Davidson scoring a cracking goal in the very early minutes of his debut game. We were shooting 'downhill' and the cave (without seats) was in existance but no idea whom the opposition were.

70/71 at home to St Mirren. KD scored twice in a 3-3 draw :aok:

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:52 PM

I'm guessing that subconsciously you've blanked Mark Caughey from your memory banks :greengrin

Golden Bear
14-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Graham Fyfe, we got him and Ally Scott from der hun with Ian munro going the other way, we got done. Enough said
both these boys were hopeless.

I remember we also sigened Alex Scott from Rangers and I think it also involved a player swop between the clubs ?

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:55 PM
I remember we also sigened Alex Scott from Rangers and I think it also involved a player swop between the clubs ?

Alex Scott had played for Rangers but we signed him from Everton, not long after his brother Jim was sold by Hibs to Newcastle

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6184

Ottawa Hibs
14-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Where the hell did the 4 goals come from??!? Suppose I was only at 1 of the games right enough. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6287

Crowd of 3,762 for a home league game in September...jeez.

I seem to remember him scoring a cracking goal against Celtic not long after he signed in a League Cup game. I was right behind him on the old Terrace, and seem to remember him catching it just right and curling it into the far top corner, shooting down the slope. Think we won 4-3.... Is my memory right there?

(Edited) just looked at the link..must be mistaken! So who was I thinking of?

Golden Bear
14-12-2013, 10:57 PM
70/71 at home to St Mirren. KD scored twice in a 3-3 draw :aok:

Frightening - 43 years ago!!

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 10:58 PM
I seem to remember him scoring a cracking goal against Celtic not long after he signed in a League Cup game. I was right behind him on the old Terrace, and seem to remember him catching it just right and curling it into the far top corner, shooting down the slope. Think we won 4-3.... Is my memory right there?

Memory trick I'm afraid

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6287&page=1

Hiber-nation
14-12-2013, 11:00 PM

I can't remember him scoring. I can only remember us beating them 4-3 at home when Eddie May scored the winner. According to the stats he scored against them at celtc park.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 11:01 PM
I can't remember him scoring. I can only remember us beating them 4-3 at home when Eddie May scored the winner. According to the stats he scored against them at celtc park.

:agree:

Hiber-nation
14-12-2013, 11:07 PM
My only vague memory of Ian Cameron is him missing an open goal in the 0-4 New Year's Day game at ER....Andy Millen sent off.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2013, 11:07 PM
My only vague memory of Ian Cameron is him missing an open goal in the 0-4 New Year's Day game at ER....Andy Millen sent off.

They're the best kind :greengrin

fatbloke
14-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm guessing that subconsciously you've blanked Mark Caughey from your memory banks :greengrin

When i have a nightmare Stuart Turnbull is always present.:greengrin

Golden Bear
14-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Pat Carroll - name recollection yes but vivid memories a definately no.

Golden Bear
14-12-2013, 11:12 PM

As is Duncan Lambie for me !!

fatbloke
14-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Liberal Hibby
15-12-2013, 12:19 AM

Didn't he only sign because Pat Stanton - who was manager at the time - bumped into him at Waverley station and offered him a game?

I remember him playing v Celtic at ER and going on a mazy dribble that resulted in a goal for us (but maybe not for him).

RIP Bestie
15-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Stuart Beedie.
Remember him scoring into the Dunbar end from about 30 yards for Dundee Utd against us in 86. The Hibs fans around me in the East were going mental, jumping about and my mates were jumping all over me. I was raging. Then it started to sink in. Prince Albert had opened the scoring at Dens.:not worth

Jack
15-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Talking of Hibstory

Anyone remember Allan Dempsie?

Played a few games in the early Naughties and is the latest member of the Hibernian FC (Official) LinkedIn page! Joined yesterday :-)

Always great to have someone who lived our dream in the fold.

Hibs. Worse than an itch since 1875!!!

zlatan
15-12-2013, 12:37 AM
I had an absurd amount of Ian Cameron doublers in my sticker book when he was with us.

Ray_
15-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Some of these guys failed to impress, some weren't given the chance to (arguably). Any memories you'd like to share?

Defender Derek Anderson signed from Ayr Utd in 98/99 and left for Morton. 6 appearances

Midfielder Stuart Beedie signed from Dundee Utd in 86/87 and left for Dunfermline. 12 apps/3 goals

Forward John Brogan signed from St Johnstone in 84/85 and left for Hamilton. 7 apps/1 goal

Midfielder Ian Cameron signed from Partick Th in 96/97 and left for Raith. 22 apps/0 goals

Midfielder Pat Carroll signed from Sauchie in 74/75 and left for Raith. 24 apps/0 goals

Midfielder Mike Conroy signed in 82/83 from Celtic and left for Blackpool. 39 apps/4 goals

Forward Kenny Davidson signed 70/71 from Loanhead and left for Dunfermline. 26 apps/6 goals

Forward Graham Fyfe signed 76/77 from Rangers and left for Dumbarton. 18 apps/1 goal

Douglas Cromb telephoned me on the 6th of August 1996 because I had written to complain that I had ordered a Hibs strip for my new born, three months before he arrived in early December 1995 and it still hadn't been sent. He promised to send out a strip immediately [he kept his word] and he told me that Hibs were signing two players who were being announced the following day.

I was sleeping when he rang having just got home following an emergency appendix operation. Getting a call from the Hibs chairman and told of two imminent signings fairly picked me up, little was I to know :greengrin

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/hibs-in-double-transfer-swoop-1.442368

stu in nottingham
15-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Talking of Hibstory

Anyone remember Allan Dempsie?

Played a few games in the early Naughties and is the latest member of the Hibernian FC (Official) LinkedIn page! Joined yesterday :-)

Always great to have someone who lived our dream in the fold.

Hibs. Worse than an itch since 1875!!!

Remember him, defender who played a handful of games? Wasn't there another Dempsie (Mark) another defender who played a few games at a similar time. Maybe brothers I think?

Forza Fred
15-12-2013, 07:27 AM
for many years Mike Conroy was my nomination for 'worst Hibs player ever' until I put eyes on Amadou Konte.

I saw Conroy make his debut for Hibs in a midweek reserve game, and said straight away that simply was not up to standard.

I put up with all the you can't judge someone in a reserve game' jibes, until eventually the truth dawned on the doubters.

Thirty years later I was advised that Conroy was suffering from some kind of medical condition when he joined Hibs which affected his early performances, but if he was he never appeared to recover form it.

Forza Fred
15-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Didn't he only sign because Pat Stanton - who was manager at the time - bumped into him at Waverley station and offered him a game?

I remember him playing v Celtic at ER and going on a mazy dribble that resulted in a goal for us (but maybe not for him).

You are confusing Conroy with former Hearts winger Bobby( ?) Prentice.

Prentice made his debut for Hibs after that chance meeting in a midweek friendly, and he played very well indeed.

A player who did not impress in that reserve game was one Alex Cropley who was playing in his short lived 'return''

Hibs were subsequently fined for playing Cropley who I think was still registered with Aston Villa at the time.

One Day
15-12-2013, 08:13 AM
You are confusing Conroy with former Hearts winger Bobby( ?) Prentice.

Prentice made his debut for Hibs after that chance meeting in a midweek friendly, and he played very well indeed.

A player who did not impress in that reserve game was one Alex Cropley who was playing in his short lived 'return''

Hibs were subsequently fined for playing Cropley who I think was still registered with Aston Villa at the time.

Wasnt that Malcolm Robertson

Hamish
15-12-2013, 09:04 AM

:agree: Prentice only played for Celtic (not for the first team) and Hearts I think

Mike Conroy, if I remember correctly, didn't want to sign for us and had to be persuaded by his father

hibbybob
15-12-2013, 09:22 AM
for many years Mike Conroy was my nomination for 'worst Hibs player ever' until I put eyes on Amadou Konte.

I saw Conroy make his debut for Hibs in a midweek reserve game, and said straight away that simply was not up to standard.

I put up with all the you can't judge someone in a reserve game' jibes, until eventually the truth dawned on the doubters.

Thirty years later I was advised that Conroy was suffering from some kind of medical condition when he joined Hibs which affected his early performances, but if he was he never appeared to recover form it.
As well as being awful, Conroy didn't seem to put in any effort. I've never booed a Hibs player but would retrospectively make an exception for Conroy - not fit to lace Konte's boots and made Mark Caughey look like a .......... World Cup type player!!!

Tom Hart RIP
15-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I remember big Konte come on at Tynecastle when we were 1-0 down after horrendous mistake by Simpn Brown. The big man was unbelievable and Pressley and Webster couldn't get near him. I think he had a hand in both goals and we won 2-1. Ended their chances of Europe. Then he scored the equaliser at Motherwell and we qualified.

Tom Hart RIP
15-12-2013, 10:18 AM
When Alex Cropley played for the reserves Cecil Graham went onto the pitch to remove him as the insurance company had already paid out on his retirement and he would have had to pay it all back if he played again.

bigwheel
15-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Joe Keenan and Colin Murdoch made Conroy look like Roy Keane :)

Billy Whizz
15-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Jonnyboy, Anderson was a protege of a boys club my dad founded, Gleniffer Thistle. He was a stop gap signing in the early part of our season in the 1st division, before McLeish decided that he could do much better. Think he was proved right as we brought in Markinov and Sauzee a bit later.

Remember Cameron as well, was a bit of a tippy tappy player with little or no dig, but had a cultured left foot

ancient hibee
15-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Davie Hogg and Malcolm Bogie were superb players in the reserves who didn't make it.

John Brogan and Brian Welsh were two who were never the players they had been at their former clubs.

EVENTUALLY
15-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Davie Hogg and Malcolm Bogie were superb players in the reserves who didn't make it.

John Brogan and Brian Welsh were two who were never the players they had been at their former clubs.
So was Alex Pringle.

Feed McGraw
15-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Kenny Davidson was a popular left-sided midfielder in the Cropley mould but without his skill and power.

I remember Kenny as a right winger .

jdships
15-12-2013, 02:16 PM

And that is being DIPLOMATIC to say the least !!!

CropleyWasGod
15-12-2013, 02:25 PM

He of Hibs.net?

fat freddy
15-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Stuart Beedie....as well as his effort against rangers on the souness debut match i will always remember him for a goal against hamilton in a midweek cup tie...to this day it remains one of my favourite hibs goals, from about 40 yards out he unleashed a shot of Peter Lorimer proportions, the net had to be replaced after the match as it was traumatised by the ferocity of the assault upon its fabric...a goal sparky would have been proud of.

Grahame Fyfe...along with Ally Scott...It's still difficult to understand why we swapped the brilliant Iain Munro for that pair of clowns

fat freddy
15-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Can i add Sven Mathieson And Issak Revfik to this list ? it would be interesting to read peoples memories of their short time at Easter Road.

Ronniekirk
15-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Can i add Sven Mathieson And Issak Revfik to this list ? it would be interesting to read peoples memories of their short time at Easter Road.
Preferred your choice of punk music Butcher Boys has grown on me :top marks

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Short but productive time at ER, especially Refvik.

Hibs tried to sign both but the Home Office denied them work permits as they were not full internationalists IIRC

Interesting wee story in that Hibs sent over air tickets for them to come over from Norway but the players chose to come over by boat!

Edit: Refvik played seven times and scored twice. Mathieson played three times, no goals

HibbyAndy
15-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Jules Rippa.Played at the BPBS and actually looked awrite.

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Jules Rippa.Played at the BPBS and actually looked awrite.

Juha :greengrin

Anyone remember Thorsten Schmugge?

JimBHibees
15-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Yep can remember he played at Pittodrie. Neat right winger player.

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Yep can remember he played at Pittodrie. Neat right winger player.

His only appearance for Hibs!

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-12-2013, 06:50 PM
How about Marc Libbra? wish to hell we could have kept him, remember him scoring against Celtic at Parkhead when we were were wearing a yellow strip. He went on to play for Norwich but I'm sure he wanted to stay with us as he loved us!

Also Billy McKay (sp) from Brora Rangers also scoring at Parkhead. I met him on a trip up there when we played them in a friendly in 1981 and he was gobsmacked we remembered him, he told us he wanted to stay but can't really remember what he told us what had happened :cheers: :wink:

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 06:56 PM
How about Marc Libbra? wish to hell we could have kept him, remember him scoring against Celtic at Parkhead when we were were wearing a yellow strip. He went on to play for Norwich but I'm sure he wanted to stay with us as he loved us!

Also Billy McKay (sp) from Brora Rangers also scoring at Parkhead. I met him on a trip up there when we played them in a friendly in 1981 and he was gobsmacked we remembered him, he told us he wanted to stay but can't really remember what he told us what had happened :cheers: :wink:

It was Jim McKay and Brora wanted too much money for him

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-12-2013, 06:58 PM
It was Jim McKay and Brora wanted too much money for him

:aok:

ancient hibee
15-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Johnny Frye was also a winger with a lot of potential who fizzled out.

Also wee Johnny Grant smaller than the corner flag who I saw run amok at Brockville including scoring I think his only goal in his Hibs career.Not to be confused with John Grant-really good defender who could also play wing half and in fact was played at inside forward by Hugh Shaw in the cup against Hearts to take the weight off Baker-seemed to work if Joe's 4 goals were anything to go by.

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Correct!

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Jonnyboy, Anderson was a protege of a boys club my dad founded, Gleniffer Thistle. He was a stop gap signing in the early part of our season in the 1st division, before McLeish decided that he could do much better. Think he was proved right as we brought in Markinov and Sauzee a bit later.

Remember Cameron as well, was a bit of a tippy tappy player with little or no dig, but had a cultured left foot

I thought Anderson was bloody awful and would certainly get in my worst ever Hibs team

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 09:29 PM
His only appearance for Hibs!

I actually went to ap reserve game specifically to see him but he played for the first team at Pittodrie that day

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Was Schmugge around the same time as Peter Guggi?

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 09:30 PM
I actually went to ap reserve game specifically to see him but he played for the first team at Pittodrie that day

Now that's what I call unlucky!

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 09:31 PM

Schmugge 96/97
Guggi 98/99

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 09:32 PM

No guggi was in our great adventure year, iirc Thorston was a Lexo trialist?

brog
15-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Johnny Frye was also a winger with a lot of potential who fizzled out.

Also wee Johnny Grant smaller than the corner flag who I saw run amok at Brockville including scoring I think his only goal in his Hibs career.Not to be confused with John Grant-really good defender who could also play wing half and in fact was played at inside forward by Hugh Shaw in the cup against Hearts to take the weight off Baker-seemed to work if Joe's 4 goals were anything to go by.

I remember the Brockville game, think it was a Jan 2 fixture, I loved those games, and we won 4-1. I remember wee Johnny scoring & also crawling through the full back's legs after being tripped!

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 09:34 PM
No guggi was in our great adventure year, iirc Thorston was a Lexo trialist?

Yep. Arrived at ER at the same time as another of Lexo's inspired signings ....... Ray Wilkins

BSEJVT
15-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Yep. Arrived at ER at the same time as another of Lexo's inspired signings ....... Ray Wilkins

Final proof if ever any was required that he Lexo had truly taken leave of his senses.

Following on from the naked nepotism of playing his two boys who were both crap, the only surprise was he lasted so long

heretoday
15-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Pat Carroll - name recollection yes but vivid memories a definately no.

He had a magnificently structured head of early 70s hair. Unfortunately it sapped all his strength.

weedgiehibbie
15-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Klaus Detrich (sp) worth a mention - dunno if he was a trialist or a permanent signing but i remembe rhim playing 1 game at Love Street at centre half wearing number 7 and us getting beat.

Alway hoped Ian cameron would work out at Hibs, i remember him being the main man at partick thistle but maybe the a few injuries caught up wit him at hibs - plus hishis brother ran the butcher across the road from my secondary school when i was there :greengrin

Hiber-nation
15-12-2013, 10:38 PM
He had a magnificently structured head of early 70s hair. Unfortunately it sapped all his strength.

Either Pat or Willie Murray had a good game against celtc one week then came up against the huns soon after. I vaguely recall John Greig putting one of them into the East Terracing wall in the first minute (no foul given) and I doubt if they touched the ball again in the game. Might have been Willie Murray come to think of it.

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Klaus Detrich (sp) worth a mention - dunno if he was a trialist or a permanent signing but i remembe rhim playing 1 game at Love Street at centre half wearing number 7 and us getting beat.

Alway hoped Ian cameron would work out at Hibs, i remember him being the main man at partick thistle but maybe the a few injuries caught up wit him at hibs - plus hishis brother ran the butcher across the road from my secondary school when i was there :greengrin

Played two games and we lost them both!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player_games.php?playerid=6394

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I always thought Justin Skinner was a good player. Maybe left a bit soon.

Freddie Dacquin is a player who i honestly never remember playing for Hibs. Not even playing, just signing. He was apparently around for a year and played 2 games but i genuinely have absolutely no recollection of this. 1st i remember of him is being described as ex Hibs whilst at Dunfermilne.

From the same sort of time, Fabrice Henry.

Jonnyboy
15-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I always thought Justin Skinner was a good player. Maybe left a bit soon.

Freddie Dacquin is a player who i honestly never remember playing for Hibs. Not even playing, just signing. He was apparently around for a year and played 2 games but i genuinely have absolutely no recollection of this. 1st i remember of him is being described as ex Hibs whilst at Dunfermilne.

From the same sort of time, Fabrice Henry.

Played 4 times. Was a Blobby signing IIRC

Think Henry was earlier - a big Eck signing

BSEJVT
16-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Not sure but wasn't Dacquin a Sauzee signing?

Forza Fred
16-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Old age and memory lapses!

Hiber-nation
16-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Anybody remember Terry Wilson? Signed in the September, scored on his debut then punted in November. Can't remember why he came and went so quickly.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6257

Bill Milne
16-12-2013, 09:17 AM

That was a Scottish Cup game,. Earlier that season, we beat Celtic on penalties in the League Cup after a 4-4 draw. Typically, that was the season BBC were not showing highlights of games so there is very little left to see by way of videos.

Purple & Green
16-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Something makes me think that Dacquin was a signing that Sauzee organized and Hibs/Blobby honoured after he left.

brog
16-12-2013, 03:41 PM
That was a Scottish Cup game,. Earlier that season, we beat Celtic on penalties in the League Cup after a 4-4 draw. Typically, that was the season BBC were not showing highlights of games so there is very little left to see by way of videos.

Yep, I love reminding my Celtc mates that they scored 7 goals in 2 cup ties in a season at ER & lost them both!! Well done Pierce O'Leary!!

On forgotten names, & this one should be, I give you Harvey McCreadie, signed IIRC by Walter Galbraith.

Golden Bear
16-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Yep, I love reminding my Celtc mates that they scored 7 goals in 2 cup ties in a season at ER & lost them both!! Well done Pierce O'Leary!!

On forgotten names, & this one should be, I give you Harvey McCreadie, signed IIRC by Walter Galbraith.

Ah yes ------------------- a striker wasn't he?

Or maybe not, the very word "striker" would have had no football association in them distant days.

Ray_
16-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Thought that was Jocky Scott that signed him around the time we signed John Hughes, debut's in the 3-1 defeat at Kilmarnock?

ancient hibee
16-12-2013, 07:49 PM

I've a feeling that Harvey was in jail in the north of England either at the time or shortly after.Only scored a goal about every 3 games so obviously not Hibs Class:greengrin

Fergos
16-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Graham Harvey / Lee Power.....

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
16-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Anyone remember Rikki Fleming that we signed from Ayr Utd around 1977/78. I vaguely remember a game at ER that he played in against Ayr, that Hibs won 4-2

Billy McKirdy
16-12-2013, 08:16 PM
What about John Mcgahey?
He was in my year at school and I was only aware he played for us the year I was down in England at college (82/83) .
how was he as a player in the green and white?

Hiber-nation
16-12-2013, 08:45 PM
What about John Mcgahey?
He was in my year at school and I was only aware he played for us the year I was down in England at college (82/83) .
how was he as a player in the green and white?

Didn't play much but did score an open goal at Pittodrie and gave the sheep fans the GIRUY :greengrin

Jonnyboy
16-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Not sure but wasn't Dacquin a Sauzee signing?

Sauzee had lined him up I think but Blobby signed him

Anybody remember Terry Wilson? Signed in the September, scored on his debut then punted in November. Can't remember why he came and went so quickly.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6257

Signed from Arbroath and a tribunal fixed his fee

Something makes me think that Dacquin was a signing that Sauzee organized and Hibs/Blobby honoured after he left.

Cheers B, my recollection too :agree:

Thought that was Jocky Scott that signed him around the time we signed John Hughes, debut's in the 3-1 defeat at Kilmarnock?

Definitely a Miller signing Ray. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=50177 is his debut I think

Ray_
16-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Sauzee had lined him up I think but Blobby signed him

Signed from Arbroath and a tribunal fixed his fee

Cheers B, my recollection too :agree:

Definitely a Miller signing Ray. http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=50177 is his debut I think

Thanks Jonny, I must of had more than the usual amount of drugs that season :confused: Perhaps it was Hughes debut and the first time I had seen Wilkins since he was sitting in the dugout at ER as manager of QPR. :greengrin

lord bunberry
17-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Graham Harvey / Lee Power.....

GGTTH

I was quite friendly with the bookie next door to middletons on easter road and lee power came in the day he got payed off from hibs, he had a cheque for 12k and he asked if he could have a few bets and he would pay when his cheque cleared. He lost 2.5k and never payed up.

Ray_
17-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Suppose I better have a go :greengrin

Alex McGregor we have done previously, as was Jim Blair.

Ally Donaldson, signed from Dundee 1981, played in the six league cup section games, lost 12 goals, although 8 of them were against Celtic in two 4-1 defeats, left us for Raith Rovers, he gained two Scottish League caps.

His two Scottish league caps were in the sixties, both against the Irish League and conceded four goals, although Scotland scored eleven. His first Scottish game was in 1965, when he was joined by Dundee team mates Alex Hamilton, Andy Penman & Charlie Cook. Willie Wallace of Hearts was playing and the rest were from the infirm.

His second and last game was September 1969, when Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack & Eric Stevenson played with seven other non infirm players, Dave Clunie & Eddie Thomson of the Yams, Gerry Sweeny of Morton, Dave Robb & Joe Harper, Aberdeen and Alex Ingram of Ayr. Scotland got six that night, two from Harper, two from Peter Cormack, Alex Ingram got one and one from Billy Johnson, who came off the bench to join his team mate John Greig, who started the game at left back.

jgl07
17-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Torsten Schmugge and Rippa were both trialists and looked decent. One failed to sign because he could not bring his pet dog into the country.

It was a shame as both had nicknames already, Jack (the Ripper) and Schmugge *******.

heretoday
17-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Either Pat or Willie Murray had a good game against celtc one week then came up against the huns soon after. I vaguely recall John Greig putting one of them into the East Terracing wall in the first minute (no foul given) and I doubt if they touched the ball again in the game. Might have been Willie Murray come to think of it.

Murray was a popular local guy. It was obvious though that he was fast but far too lightweight.

Another name from the ether is a certain Willie Paterson, a left winger who famously roasted Danny McGrain in a match at ER in the late 70s. Sadly, that was his apogee.

I gather that he married into the aristocracy, or so the terracings wags used to say in between gobfuls of greasy pies and volleys of insults towards Ally Brazil.

triciacapri
17-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Alex Mc Gee ? seem to remember him early to mid 70"s scored a few goals in the joe harper mold if I remember correctly

majorhibs
18-12-2013, 05:05 AM

Another Murray, Gary, I think, signed from Montrose for £60 000 which was a big fee then, was he no scoring for fun then arrived at E.R. and just couldnae cut it, IIRC he had speed but nothing much else. Which manager was it signed him again?

Bill Milne
18-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Alex Mc Gee ? seem to remember him early to mid 70"s scored a few goals in the joe harper mold if I remember correctly

Went to Ainslie Park with "Dingus", who was a cousin of the legendary Mick McGhee!!

Hiber-nation
18-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Another Murray, Gary, I think, signed from Montrose for £60 000 which was a big fee then, was he no scoring for fun then arrived at E.R. and just couldnae cut it, IIRC he had speed but nothing much else. Which manager was it signed him again?

Must have been Auld. Gary was an honest trier that's for sure but we really lacked a bit of quality up front in these days...as we do now!

majorhibs
18-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Must have been Auld. Gary was an honest trier that's for sure but we really lacked a bit of quality up front in these days...as we do now!

Bit rich fi you at 55! I've got 8 years on ye! :wink:

Jonnyboy
18-12-2013, 10:14 PM

:agree:

Murray played 97 times and scored 19 goals

smurf
19-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Peter Welsh....

Tom Hart RIP
19-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Iain Hendry. Signed from Hereford in 1981 when we were in First Division. I drove to Berwick for his debut and he suffered a broken leg after 15 seconds. He looked ok in the warm up though.
Played once more as a sub the following season then left for Nuneaton?