PDA

View Full Version : NHC Stevie Clarke

Gettin' Auld
14-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Apparently he's just been jottered by West Brom.

Capt Mainwaring
14-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Breaking news. Says he's been put on Gardening leave with immediate effect.

No really the season for gardening!

Something smelly at the Hawthorns

stokesmessiah

This can't be serious???

Jonnyboy

Where's this being reported? Stunned if it's true TBH

stokesmessiah
14-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Butcher out, Clarke in.

Gettin' Auld
14-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Talking about it on 5Live right now.....

RedHibby
14-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Yup he's been sacked. The shortest gardening leave ever:bye:

stoneyburn hibs
14-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Canny be for the football he has got them playing as they are decent to watch, strange one if true.

Thecat23
14-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Can't believe WBA sacking him. Something not right here and suspect we will hear there is either a huge bust up or something else. No way is this a straight forward sacking.

cleanyman
14-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Can't believe WBA sacking him. Something not right here and suspect we will hear there is either a huge bust up or something else. No way is this a straight forward sacking.

deserved sacking in my opinion. Let the players go on q night out im Dublin.

stupidity considering their position

Barney McGrew
14-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Bonkers.

Adrian Chiles and Frank Skinner are short odds favourites to replace him.

stu in nottingham
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2522679/West-Broms-Steve-Clarke-defends-players-Christmas-party.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2522679/West-Broms-Steve-Clarke-defends-players-Christmas-party.html)

Gettin' Auld
BBC reporting it now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25385000#TWEET984937

Liam89
14-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Having a look around the West Brom forums it seems as though it may just be a straight forward sacking, the majority of them wanted him out.

heretoday
14-12-2013, 10:02 PM
He'll not be out of work long.

stoneyburn hibs
14-12-2013, 10:11 PM
6/1 for Di Matteo is worth a punt.

Gus
14-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Only had 7 wins in 32 games....not that much of a shock

brianmc
14-12-2013, 10:26 PM
As I don't follow the English 'greed is good' league can someone explain this sacking to a layman? Have they been great and this is a shock, have they been ***** and this has been expected, or like me does nae ****er care about WBA except fans of WBA??

^^^interesting, thanks

Andy74
14-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Won less games than the manager we just got rid of over the last 30 to 40 games didn't he?

PatHead
14-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Won less games than the manager we just got rid of over the last 30 to 40 games didn't he?

Not again

jonty
14-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Apples and oranges.
Different club, different league, different budget.
PF wouldn't have lasted 2 months in the EPL.

Not again

:agree: Petrie out Peace in

Hiber-nation
14-12-2013, 10:46 PM

How long did it take to wortk out that absolutely pointless statistic?

Andy74
14-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Not again

I'm just questioning the shock. Other teams will have an expectation of winning games too. It's a fair point to show he's won less than one who just lost his job here.

Andy74
14-12-2013, 10:48 PM
How long did it take to wortk out that absolutely pointless statistic?

Less than pointless reply.

jonty
14-12-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm just questioning the shock. Other teams will have an expectation of winning games too. It's a fair point to show he's won less than one who just lost his job here.

He also had WBA playing attractive football and by the chairman's own admission, didn't get 'the rub of the green'.

yeezus.
14-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Had a great season last year, defeated Man United at Old Trafford and should have taken 3 points from Stamford Bridge. Bad decision IMO

Pete
14-12-2013, 10:51 PM

It's about realistic expectations though. You could argue that even such a win rate in the premier league meant west brom we're punching above their weight when you look at similar sized clubs. It's not something that we have been doing for years regardless of win rate statistics.

brianmc
14-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Had a great season last year, defeated Man United at Old Trafford and should have taken 3 points from Stamford Bridge. Bad decision IMO

Did Colin Calderclown's team not gub the old rangers 3-0 at Ibrox..... as well as almost winning some other games (that they lost)?
Just an observation likesay

Hiber-nation
14-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Less than pointless reply.

Eh? He took them to their best league position in about 30 odd years! Not really comparable to PF!

Andy74
14-12-2013, 10:57 PM
It's about realistic expectations though. You could argue that even such a win rate in the premier league meant west brom we're punching above their weight when you look at similar sized clubs. It's not something that we have been doing for years regardless of win rate statistics.

They spent a fortune in the summer. They have the highest wage bill in their history. They've gone from their highest league position last year to just above the relegation zone and justify to a newly promoted team.

It's nice we are so understanding on behalf of other teams managers!

Andy74
14-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Eh? He took them to their best league position in about 30 odd years! Not really comparable to PF!

Yeah but we get fed up of managers when a slide happens too. How did it go for John Hughes?

I agree it's very harsh but we aren't really ones to talk!

Thecat23
14-12-2013, 11:01 PM

His football was nothing like ours though. WBA, could give teams a game we were just the whipping boys under Fenlon. Our team had no fight and ask any first team player Andy how they feel right now compared to before. They will tell you there is more belief and a lot more positive attitudes.

Pat Fenlon was one of the worst managers Hibs have had. Statistics can suit either of us but history will show results that didn't show him in a good light and was rightly sacked if it was long overdue. I don't mind folk defending him when he was here, but he's gone and I don't think you can let go because of how spectacularly wrong you were of your opinion of him and his style of play.

Thecat23
14-12-2013, 11:05 PM
I also don't think Hughes was sacked to early. We weren't playing well at all and the attitude of him towards certain players wasn't exactly professional. I like him but his time was up. Along with the rest! Maybe if Rod had got it right long ago we wouldn't need to be shouting for the managers head!

Northernhibee
14-12-2013, 11:06 PM
His football was nothing like ours though. WBA, could give teams a game we were just the whipping boys under Fenlon. Our team had no fight and ask any first team player Andy how they feel right now compared to before. They will tell you there is more belief and a lot more positive attitudes.

Pat Fenlon was one of the worst managers Hibs have had. Statistics can suit either of us but history will show results that didn't show him in a good light and was rightly sacked if it was long overdue. I don't mind folk defending him when he was here, but he's gone and I don't think you can let go because of how spectacularly wrong you were of your opinion of him and his style of play.

Quite honestly the answer lies between the two arguments; we are in much better hands but Fenlon was better than you're giving him credit for.

Exciting future for us under a manager just in the door - should be interesting to see how the future unfolds.

stoneyburn hibs
14-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Clarke to replace big Sam in the not too distant future

HoboHarry
14-12-2013, 11:32 PM
How long before someone on Yakback suggests he would do a job for them?

Stax
14-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Can't believe we're comparing Pat Fenlon and Steve Clarke. While I appreciate Pat achieved his original remit to keep us up and the bonus of two finals he was also responsible for the most embarrassing results in our history. Clarke overachieved last year taking WBA to 8th, This year he should have beat Chelsea bar a dodgy pen, was done by a Worldy goal v Newcastle and over the course played the kind of football we've been hankering after for years. Talk about win rates etc, but I can't see anyone going into Albion and turning things around as I believe big Tel is slowly and surely doing here.

.Sean.
15-12-2013, 12:31 AM
IMO West Brom are the 6th biggest club in the Midlands behind Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, Derby and Forest. They are punching well above their weight and this is purely down to Clarke, first manager to establish them as a Premiership outfit in God knows how many years. WB fans must be livid?

Mikey, you got odds on his next gig?

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 01:48 AM
It's hard to really pass judgement without watching West Brom regularly surely. Apparently their own fans aren't too upset by the sacking. 7 wins in 30+ games is pretty poor form by any standards.

Everyone was up in arms when Nigel Adkins was sacked last year but the Southampton board look to have got that one spot on.

Stax
15-12-2013, 02:14 AM
It's hard to really pass judgement without watching West Brom regularly surely. Apparently their own fans aren't too upset by the sacking. 7 wins in 30+ games is pretty poor form by any standards.

Everyone was up in arms when Nigel Adkins was sacked last year but the Southampton board look to have got that one spot on.
Fair point

Beefster
15-12-2013, 09:02 AM

We haven't got rid of a manager since 2011. Our last manager resigned because he didn't think he was capable of making us better.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2013, 10:39 AM
We haven't got rid of a manager since 2011. Our last manager resigned because he didn't think he was capable of making us better.

:tee hee:

NAE NOOKIE
15-12-2013, 11:01 AM
The massive greed fest which is the EPL makes life tougher for managers than anywhere else probably. The chairmen of EPL clubs couldnt give a rats ass about pretty football or bad luck. In the documentary recently about QPRs efforts to make it to the EPL their owners were talking about the reward for promotion being around £100,000,000. Thats a club with a ground light years behind ER and crowds of 16,000.

It seems to me that In the EPL even in the middle of the season if it looks like you could end up in the bottom 3 after Christmas you are in danger of getting the boot. No surprise therefore that Stevie Clarke has been given the boot.

jdships
15-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Have always thought he was a " follower rather than a leader " and was a brilliant No2
Have spoken with a couple of ex players recently ( Ex Liverpool and West Ham) who played for him and they were both surprised when he move up to being a Manager
Both felt he was first class coach :rolleyes:

johnrebus
15-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Terrible decision IMHO.

Clarke knows how to play the game and for most off last season they were outstanding.

The difference this season can be summed up in one word - Lukaku.

Even then they won at Old Trafford and were blatantly cheated at Chelsea.

Careful what you wish for (The Albion fans). West Brom better get the next appointment right because they could end up like Blackburn - relegated and up **** creek without a paddle.

:crazy:

hibees 7062
15-12-2013, 06:24 PM
From nowayback . Stevie Clarke

Please tell me your joking? That rat got what he deserved yesterday cheats never prosper.

I agree with the OP we just have to suck it up and get behind the team. :greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-12-2013, 06:38 PM
He got sacked cause West brom are pish.

Their really isnt a conspiracy theory.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Yep.

2 points out of the last 18 possible. A win over Man Utd at Old Trafford doesn't mean much in the scheme of things if you have a run like that.

Relegation from the EPL is a disaster for clubs and every manager knows this. They are 2 points above the relegation zone and on a terrible run of form.

After today i fully expect AVB to be punted as well.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Terrible decision IMO

Craig_in_Prague
15-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Yep.

2 points out of the last 18 possible. A win over Man Utd at Old Trafford doesn't mean much in the scheme of things if you have a run like that.

Relegation from the EPL is a disaster for clubs and every manager knows this. They are 2 points above the relegation zone and on a terrible run of form.

Spurs aint far off 4th, would be harsh.

I really don't think west brom would have been in serious relegation trouble under Clarke, this decision might backfire.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-12-2013, 08:57 PM

I said to my old boy at FT that that was the sort of effort/performance that gets a manager the sack. Not many of his summer signings have done him any favours either.

JimBHibees
15-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Awful decision by the Baggies. Just who do they think they are to be honest. Clarke had a magnificent season last year and although not great results this year they have beaten Man U and were robbed from beating Chelsea away also. Some directors really do deserve relegation.

hfc rd
15-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Absolutely stupid decision.

heretoday
15-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I said to my old boy at FT that that was the sort of effort/performance that gets a manager the sack. Not many of his summer signings have done him any favours either.

AVB bought too many players and gave himself a huge problem in finding a settled team. It's different every week.

The one constant has been Soldado who got goals against a softish defence in midweek. No change out of the likes of Liverpool though, chum.

My Spurs pal says AVB is just not very smart.

jabis
15-12-2013, 10:51 PM

"jottered"

probably been mentioned already,but that made me laugh :thumbsup:

has he got the hearts job yet ?

Pretty Boy
15-12-2013, 10:51 PM
AVB bought too many players and gave himself a huge problem in finding a settled team. It's different every week.

The one constant has been Soldado who got goals against a softish defence in midweek. No change out of the likes of Liverpool though, chum.

My Spurs pal says AVB is just not very smart.

The high line he wants to play is career suicide in the EPL especially with someone as slow as Dawson in the centre of defence.

It didn't work at Chelsea and it seems he has learned nothing.

OsloHibs
16-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Never seen this coming :confused:

heretoday
16-12-2013, 12:12 AM
A big problem is having no cover at left back. Time and again Liv broke down the right. Assou Ekotto wasn't the greatest but at least he would have closed the gap.

Swedish hibee
16-12-2013, 12:14 AM
That Chelsea game seems even more unfair now :fuming:

Piqué
16-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Did I really see McInnes being tipped for the West Brom job in tomorrow's Scotsman?

gorgie greens
16-12-2013, 01:13 AM
he inherited a good team last season from Roy Hodgson,ask any Baggie fan and they will tell you that they have been screaming for him to get the boot for weeks now,

Andy74
16-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Some bizarre comments from some on here after what they've had to say about our managers.

He took the team from 10th to 8th.

He spent a fortune in the summer. They have their highest wage bill ever.

He has lost four in a row, one win in ten and seven wins 38 points from 39 games.

They are two points off relegation places and just lost to a newly promoted team.

Yet it's a shocking decision? Strange.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Pat Fenlon was one of the worst managers Hibs have had. Statistics can suit either of us but history will show results that didn't show him in a good light and was rightly sacked if it was long overdue. I don't mind folk defending him when he was here, but he's gone and I don't think you can let go because of how spectacularly wrong you were of your opinion of him and his style of play.This exact line is used by people on here every time we get a new manager, its so boring.

Thecat23
16-12-2013, 08:33 AM
This exact line is used by people on here every time we get a new manager, its so boring.

Is it? Ok I'll remember that for next time.

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Is it? Ok I'll remember that for next time.Well it is, not necessarily by you but everyone says the last manager was awful and the new one has changed the attitude so much and the players love him.

''No fight'' is a classic as well, we had no fight under Yogi and apparently CC changed that after a few weeks, same with Fenlon.

Beefster
16-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Well it is, not necessarily by you but everyone says the last manager was awful and the new one has changed the attitude so much and the players love him.

''No fight'' is a classic as well, we had no fight under Yogi and apparently CC changed that after a few weeks, same with Fenlon.

In the last two cases, it is arguably true.

trev the hat
16-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Some bizarre comments from some on here after what they've had to say about our managers.

He took the team from 10th to 8th.

He spent a fortune in the summer. They have their highest wage bill ever.

He has lost four in a row, one win in ten and seven wins 38 points from 39 games.

They are two points off relegation places and just lost to a newly promoted team.

Yet it's a shocking decision? Strange.

Shocking or very harsh ?

Thecat23
16-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Well it is, not necessarily by you but everyone says the last manager was awful and the new one has changed the attitude so much and the players love him.

I do agree with you to an extent. You hear the usual things but if you know any of the players they actually are buzzing with TB and MM. He's very straight forward with what he wants from the team and I think it will show over time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Now been emptied, didnae take long.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2013, 11:16 AM
His team are on a downward spiral, he spent big in the summer and its not worked. The only question for me is has he had enough time to address this, the board obviously felt he had.

johnrebus
16-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Saw West Brom a couple of weeks and (IMHO) they were a long way from being pish Andy.

However, by using that yardstick I do agree that if you take the bottom ten EPL clubs, from Aston Villa down to Sunderland, then they are all pish - compared to the top six especially. Its hard to distinguish between some of them, West Ham, Norwich, Stoke, Villa etc. all play eye bleeding stuff, which would not look out of place in the SPL.

Millions are being thrown away on average, very average talent.

:rolleyes: