PDA

View Full Version : Picture House Music Venue To Close

H18sry
13-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Being taken over by Wetherspoons

Dear customers, Following our media announcement made yesterday (Thurs 12 Dec 2013), please note The Picture House is due to be sold to JD Wetherspoon on 6 Jan 2014. All events prior to and including 31 Dec 2013 will take place as planned. If you have made a booking for an event taking place in 2014 please retain your ticket or order confirmation and you’ll be contacted in due course with further details. We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank the public, the venue staff, the promoters, and all the great artists who have graced the stage over the last five years for their support. Thank you all!

Can any music lovers please sign the petition

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/jd-wetherspoons-keep-edinburgh-picture-house-as-a-live-music-venue?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=new_petition_recruit#share

Sylar
13-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Gutted at that! Been to some great gigs in the picture house in recent years (Newton Faulkner, Alkaline Trio, Lostprophets) and always enjoyed the venue.

Northernhibee
13-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Wetherspoons are popping up in far too many places, and they are without fail *****.

Godsahibby
13-12-2013, 07:40 PM
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/jd-wetherspoons-keep-edinburgh-picture-house-as-a-live-music-venue

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-12-2013, 08:11 PM
This'll probably be the writing on the wall for Shakespeares which is a shocker of a pub.

JohnStephens91
14-12-2013, 12:13 AM
This'll probably be the writing on the wall for Shakespeares which is a shocker of a pub.

I know the manager there and he said it's like a a double blow to them, firstly losing the custom which would pass through for gigs and secondly having a Wetherspoon's open up there which will suck customers away from them.

But I agree, it is a terrible pub, choices of beer are awful and the prices are expensive too considering they are meant to be a bar which is good value for money.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-12-2013, 01:00 AM
The prices are certainly on the high side, dinnae mind paying a bit more in a decent pub, but, that isn't one of them.

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Wetherspoons are popping up in far too many places, and they are without fail *****.

Their success would indicate they are very good at what they do and are welcomed wherever they open by punters who enjoy their offerings. Two pints and change from a fiver cannot be sniffed at.

Northernhibee
14-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Their success would indicate they are very good at what they do and are welcomed wherever they open by punters who enjoy their offerings. Two pints and change from a fiver cannot be sniffed at.

To quote the immortal Superhans - "People voted for the Nazis and buy Coldplay records, you can't trust people".

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2013, 10:53 AM
To quote the immortal Superhans - "People voted for the Nazis and buy Coldplay records, you can't trust people".

To quote Scouse Hibee "Anywhere you can get change from a fiver for two pints in a clean modern environment is good enough for me".............You can trust Scouse Hibee.

Judas Iscariot
14-12-2013, 11:44 AM
To quote Scouse Hibee "Anywhere you can get change from a fiver for two pints in a clean modern environment is good enough for me".............You can trust Scouse Hibee.

Trust a scouser?!

Steady on :faf:

Scouse Hibee
14-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Trust a scouser?!

Steady on :faf:

:giruy: :greengrin

.Sean.
15-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Spewing at this news, been to an absolute rake of gigs there. Sign the petition.

McLeod1875
18-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Terrible news! Whoever signed it off should be ashamed. The Edinburgh music scene is really struggling and now that the main touring venue of the capital is getting turned into a Wetherspoons, which Edinburgh certainly doesn't need, it will really start to die a death unless there is future plans of another venue...

As a musician I'm proper ****ing gutted and hurting inside about this. It Was an unbelievable experience playing there on Saturday with The Complete Stone Roses, probably my favorite gig to date, and also supporting The Rifles there was immense to.

All I can say is please sign the petition, may not make a change but it makes your/our voices heard!

JohnStephens91
20-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Terrible news! Whoever signed it off should be ashamed. The Edinburgh music scene is really struggling and now that the main touring venue of the capital is getting turned into a Wetherspoons, which Edinburgh certainly doesn't need, it will really start to die a death unless there is future plans of another venue...

As a musician I'm proper ****ing gutted and hurting inside about this. It Was an unbelievable experience playing there on Saturday with The Complete Stone Roses, probably my favorite gig to date, and also supporting The Rifles there was immense to.

All I can say is please sign the petition, may not make a change but it makes your/our voices heard!

It's been discussed in Parliament, Marco Biagi of the SNP put forward the motion to keep live music at the venue and even says that they will put pressure on Wetherspoon's to keep live music at the Picture House and if they aren't successful then they would encourage someone else to purchase it.

Wetherspoon's say it is unlikely to remain a music venue as none of their pubs have live music...

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/74506

Paperboy
20-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I got tickets for Miles Kane in the presale last Thursday only for The Picturehouse to make the announcement and move it to the Liquid Rooms. Apparently when the tickets went on sale on Friday thee was none leftt!

So Witherspoons have the Picturehiuse and Bar Roma as well. Throw in Alexander Graham Bells, the Standing Order and Lloyds and thats five all within a five to ten mi ute walk from the next.

They're taking over...

Danderhall Hibs
23-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Turn it back into Century, Mr Wetherspoon.

Gus
23-12-2013, 09:10 AM
I agree that Edinburgh needs a decent music place, pictur house was a hole imo, clearly wasnt financially viable (as HMV as a business isnt)

I work across the road and i am tight....so i for one is delighted

CropleyWasGod
23-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I agree that Edinburgh needs a decent music place, pictur house was a hole imo, clearly wasnt financially viable (as HMV as a business isnt)

Opinions, eh?

IMO the Picture House has been consistently the best venue for bands of a certain size since the early 70's.

easty
23-12-2013, 09:22 AM

I think it was a great music venue, but you're right that it obviously wasn't financially viable, if it was then it wouldn't be closing.