PDA

View Full Version : Butcher on the Financial Gap

WestEndHibee
12-12-2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25352689

Totally agree with him here. Celtic have absolutely no right to complain.

I just wish they would leave and we can have a competitive league here. The competition would be brilliant in a Scottish league with no ugly sisters.Fair enough the finances would take a hit and thus probably the standard too but even through the standard we've seen the last few seasons I've remained a die hard Hibee and would love to have a league where so many more games actually mattered.

Jones28
12-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Well said butcher.

Stax
12-12-2013, 08:55 PM

I just wish they would leave and we can have a competitive league here. The competition would be brilliant in a Scottish league with no ugly sisters.Fair enough the finances would take a hit and thus probably the standard too but even through the standard we've seen the last few seasons I've remained a die hard Hibee and would love to have a league where so many more games actually mattered.
"Welcome to our world" how true, they're always greetin about lack of competition and as soon as someone has the audacity to take a point of them as we did last time we get pelters...Unfortunately the footballing landscape has changed and Celtic are just finding their place in the food chain. A minnow in European terms now whichever way they try to dress it up.

SurferRosa
12-12-2013, 09:40 PM
I notice the BBC particularly pointing out the fact that Butcher was a " former Rangers defender " in an article where he`s been asked about Celtic. Only a Glasgow based media would find the value in reminding any Celtic supporting readers of that information.

Jonnyboy
12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
I notice the BBC particularly pointing out the fact that Butcher was a " former Rangers defender " in an article where he`s been asked about Celtic. Only a Glasgow based media would find the value in reminding any Celtic supporting readers of that information.

:agree:

CorrieHibs
12-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Always the same if you have played for the ugly sisters. Anytime john Collins is on Sky it's "former Celtic" never "former Hibs and Celtic"

monktonharp
12-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Always the same if you have played for the ugly sisters. Anytime john Collins is on Sky it's "former Celtic" never "former Hibs and Celtic" you must be getting mixed up: Riordan, former Hibs O'Connor former kids blah blah. If there is a wee tiny chink in the armour of a former Hibernian player, who might have inadvertently played with other clubs, suddenly they are ex-Hibs players.

Magnifique
12-12-2013, 10:16 PM

Terry in my opinion is playing an absolute blinder in the old mind games here......

Also the old 100 players have contacted the scout story in my opinion is a bit of mind games with the players, and is designed to pull a bit extra out of them.

Loving his work

down-the-slope
12-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Terry is while stating the bleeding obvious - is doing so in such a way as to have max needle...GOOD

RIP Bestie
12-12-2013, 10:28 PM
you must be getting mixed up: Riordan, former Hibs O'Connor former kids blah blah. If there is a wee tiny chink in the armour of a former Hibernian player, who might have inadvertently played with other clubs, suddenly they are ex-Hibs players.
Touch of paranoia creeping in here. Thought Neil Lennon was bad

Stax
12-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Disagree, fair point IMO

Ronniekirk
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Well said butcher.
Seems to be being given a media platform at hibs and higher Profile in media in general which he is thriving on Long may it continue but want results to start giving us the higher profile

--------
12-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Seems to be being given a media platform at hibs and higher Profile in media in general which he is thriving on Long may it continue but want results to start giving us the higher profile

Give the bloke a chance - he's only been here for three games.

I think that part of the problem the last few years has been the fans expecting every new manager to turn things around in a matter of a few months - so it's been players in, player out, in, out, shake 'em all about, until nobody knows where they are.

Terry and Mo need time to come to an accurate assessment of where they are right now with the squad/ I think if we have a wee bit patience right now, things will begin to move in the New Year.

But I like what the Big Guy's saying in the media - talks a lot of sense. :not worth

GreenLake
13-12-2013, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ojomTUt0X4

Ronniekirk
13-12-2013, 07:12 AM

I think that part of the problem the last few years has been the fans expecting every new manager to turn things around in a matter of a few months - so it's been players in, player out, in, out, shake 'em all about, until nobody knows where they are.

Terry and Mo need time to come to an accurate assessment of where they are right now with the squad/ I think if we have a wee bit patience right now, things will begin to move in the New Year.

But I like what the Big Guy's saying in the media - talks a lot of sense. :not worth
On results point I accept Am just impatient after years of having no expectations whatsoever.I now do have high expectations but have posted else where we need to give him two transfer windows before we can expect to win the Scottish Cup Oops there I go getting impatient again.

JimBHibees
13-12-2013, 11:06 AM

And we are unbeaten and only lost one goal.
Agree with everything else.

PeterboroHibee
13-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Of course any rational person knows what Butcher means, but Im sure him calling Celtic 'minnows' went down a storm amongst their fans.

AndyM_1875
13-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Of course any rational person knows what Butcher means, but Im sure him calling Celtic 'minnows' went down a storm amongst their fans.

Who honestly cares what a bunch of hysterical bammers like them think? There's few teams got such a tip about themselves as Celtic and with so little reason.
Because they won the old European Cup nearly half a century ago or the fact that when they play in the competition (usually as cannon fodder) their fans actually turn up , unlike in league fixtures, and behave like shrieking monkeys.

Terry is spot on and his comments are rooted in fact rather than the emotive dribblings of Sellik's online fruit-cakes.

In a European context they are minnows.
Look at who is in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Germany - Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke04
England - Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Manchester United
Spain - Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid
Others - AC Milan, Galatasaray, Paris St-Germain, Olympiakos and Zenit St Petersburg

All these clubs are big spenders with rich owners and big tv revenue.
There is no space for diddys.

HibbySpurs
13-12-2013, 01:01 PM

:agree:, yup that bit stuck out like a sore thumb it has to be said.

SurferRosa
13-12-2013, 01:52 PM
:agree:, yup that bit stuck out like a sore thumb it has to be said.

Yeah, it did. I also noticed it was mentioned straight after he was quoted as saying Celtic were " minnows " and one of the " small teams ". To me, that`s clearly aimed at annoying Celtic minded bigots. Terry Butcher always comes across as being as fair-minded as it`s possible to be IMO and for the BBC to mention that particular previous employer was an unnecessary remark which is utterly typical of a Glasgow media which revels in the mutual hatred and bigotry of it`s two biggest and equally despicable football clubs.

ancient hibee
13-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Not really-Sodje-ex Hibs player.

Moulin Yarns
13-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Lemmon on bbc pretty much agreed with TB. "Celtc are lightweight in Europe" "can't spend big"

MyJo
13-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Lemmon on bbc pretty much agreed with TB. "Celtc are lightweight in Europe" "can't spend big"

He also has the brass neck to say "Barcelona's wage bill is £210m and Celtics is a fraction of that" when justifying them getting humped yet will still happily crow about the lack of competition in scottish football and complain about the standard of play against them.

I would care to wager that the ratio of Barcelona's wage bill to Celtics will be roughly the same if not less than the ratio of Celtics wage bill against that of teams like Us, Aberdeen and Dundee United.

Welcome to our world you greetin faced tool.

Phil D. Rolls
13-12-2013, 04:49 PM
On results point I accept Am just impatient after years of having no expectations whatsoever.I now do have high expectations but have posted else where we need to give him two transfer windows before we can expect to win the Scottish Cup Oops there I go getting impatient again.

:hmmm:

MyJo
13-12-2013, 05:03 PM
He also has the brass neck to say "Barcelona's wage bill is £210m and Celtics is a fraction of that" when justifying them getting humped yet will still happily crow about the lack of competition in scottish football and complain about the standard of play against them.

I would care to wager that the ratio of Barcelona's wage bill to Celtics will be roughly the same if not less than the ratio of Celtics wage bill against that of teams like Us, Aberdeen and Dundee United.

Welcome to our world you greetin faced tool.

I was right.

Based on 2010/11 seasons figures celtic wages were £33m while Hibs & Aberdeen were just below £5m which means Celtic spend 6.6 times the amount of money on thier squad as the next biggest spenders do (excluding hearts for obvious reasons)

If Barca are spending £210m on thier wages that means thier spending 6.3 times more than Celtic.

Hainan Hibs
13-12-2013, 06:15 PM
It is amusing how they stick the boot into Scottish football when they get gubbed in Europe but never give it any credit when they get results / progress.

PeterboroHibee
13-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Who honestly cares what a bunch of hysterical bammers like them think? There's few teams got such a tip about themselves as Celtic and with so little reason.
Because they won the old European Cup nearly half a century ago or the fact that when they play in the competition (usually as cannon fodder) their fans actually turn up , unlike in league fixtures, and behave like shrieking monkeys.

Terry is spot on and his comments are rooted in fact rather than the emotive dribblings of Sellik's online fruit-cakes.

Others - AC Milan, Galatasaray, Paris St-Germain, Olympiakos and Zenit St Petersburg

Oh dont get me wrong, I completely agree with him. I was merely making the point that Im sure it will have upset their fans (or at least I hope it did!).

jdships
13-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Have no gripe against Butcher - am pleased as punch he is at ER - but each and every one of us knew this was the situation in Scottish football : and has been for decades !!
He has told us nothing we didn't already know .
Talks a good talk :thumbsup:

Fergus52
13-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Nothing paranoid at all about what he said.

Its pretty obvious :ostrich:

Ronniekirk
13-12-2013, 06:57 PM
:hmmm:
Meant to ask what's in those filled rolls of yours ?:greengrin:yum yum:

Carheenlea
13-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Which makes the latter stages of the Champions League one of the dullest, least interesting sporting events.

Billy Whizz
13-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Which makes the latter stages of the Champions League one of the dullest, least interesting sporting events.

Good point. At some stage UEFA are going to have to look at this, revamp the tournament or put in some sort of salary cap. We surely don't need 4 teams from one country making the final stages.

The only true level playing field in football now is Internationals, and countries are trying to change this to introduce additional players, not born in their country.

theonlywayisup
14-12-2013, 07:52 AM

:agree:
And think about the other once European greats that are now struggling to play with the big boys. Such as Ajax, Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven, Benfica, Porto, Juventus, Inter Milan, plus the many east European teams, such as the Romanian and Russia teams.

BarneyK
14-12-2013, 08:30 AM
It is amusing how they stick the boot into Scottish football when they get gubbed in Europe but never give it any credit when they get results / progress.

:agree: In the Sun today comments from Albert Ferrer to this very tune, that it's the absence of Der Sevco that they can't compete. What division were Sevco in again when Celtic beat Barcelona last season...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25360333

Ronniekirk
14-12-2013, 08:42 AM
[nlywayisup;3835711]:agree:
And think about the other once European greats that are now struggling to play with the big boys. Such as Ajax, Anderlecht, PSV Eindhoven, Benfica, Porto, Juventus, Inter Milan, plus the many east European teams, such as the Romanian and Russia teams.[/QUOTE]
Used to love watching Eusebio and that Benfica Team

AndyM_1875
14-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Yep it's boring and I can't say I'm too bothered about who wins it.
Money talks though and it's a case of which multi millionaires will win.

Finbar
14-12-2013, 09:02 AM
I find it quite funny that Rangers and Celtic were both strongly in favour of the champions league when it started because it meant more big games against the other big clubs in Europe. But it's just turned into the top 3 or 4 from England, Germany and Spain playing each other every year, getting richer all the time. And the rest cannae compete. I believe European football may have disappeared up it's own anus.

Ronniekirk
14-12-2013, 09:13 AM
I find it quite funny that Rangers and Celtic were both strongly in favour of the champions league when it started because it meant more big games against the other big clubs in Europe. But it's just turned into the top 3 or 4 from England, Germany and Spain playing each other every year, getting richer all the time. And the rest cannae compete. I believe European football may have disappeared up it's own anus.
But it's still worth 10 million to Celtic haven't watched a lot of games as agree it's more a money spinner now It's lost sight of the what it used to be the best teams in each league playing each other to see who came out on top Big money is spoiling the game In the 70 s when wage caps we could compete with the old firm .i

Phil D. Rolls
14-12-2013, 09:21 AM
But it's still worth 10 million to Celtic haven't watched a lot of games as agree it's more a money spinner now It's lost sight of the what it used to be the best teams in each league playing each other to see who came out on top Big money is spoiling the game In the 70 s when wage caps we could compete with the old firm .i

Was there a wage cap in the 70s?

Finbar
14-12-2013, 09:42 AM
If somebody can afford to pay their players £200K a week then they will. Football generates a lot of money, too much of it goes to too few of the clubs. Ideally I'd like to see UEFA impose a kind of tax on clubs and redistribute the wealth around the leagues of smaller countries like Scotland, Holland, Sweden, etc. to make it a more level playing field. Can't imagine it would ever happen though.

Carheenlea
14-12-2013, 11:02 AM
For all that I have no affection for Celtic, for them to have won the European Cup in `67 was one of Scottish football`s greatest days, and it is a great shame that the sport is such now that the chances of enjoying something like that again are gone. The chances of also adding to Rangers and Aberdeen`s European succeses are next to zero now as well, and football is certainly not the better for that fact.