PDA

View Full Version : Meadowbank future (NHC)

GreenCastle
10-12-2013, 03:25 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/new-plans-for-meadowbank-stadium-revamp-1-3226849

Looks like something may be happening.

With the National Performance Centre at Heriot-Watt due in the future - it really is long over due they sorted Meadowbank out.

I am all for Edinburgh getting improved sporting facilities - as there aren't enough - with Glasgow having the Commonwealth games next year they are going to have several very good venues plus concert venues like recently opened Hydro.

I would hate to see it demolished - hopefully they can turn it into something like the Aberdeen Sports Village as that's a decent facility.

As we know though with the whole trams carry on - projects like this in Edinburgh aren't always as simple.

Surely Edinburgh Rugby would want to get involved as Murryfield is far too big for them and probably costing a fortune. A covered 7-10,000 capacity venue would probably be perfect for them during the season - bigger matches they could move if really needed.

Jones28
10-12-2013, 04:17 PM
The Aberdeen sports village is an outstanding example of what facilities can be. Meadowbank is outdated and deteriorating. Knock it down and build a new complex.

Hibernia Na Eir
10-12-2013, 09:39 PM
this mean the Bankies are coming back ?

;-)

bingo70
10-12-2013, 09:43 PM
The Aberdeen sports village is an outstanding example of what facilities can be. Meadowbank is outdated and deteriorating. Knock it down and build a new complex.

As long as its on the same site I'd agree. This side of town needs a sport facility like meadowbank.

There's so much wasted land at that site if they were to flatten it all and sell off the land they don't need it'd probably end up paying for itself.

hibees 7062
10-12-2013, 10:12 PM
this mean the Bankies are coming back ?

;-)

Bankies of Midlothian :greengrin

Eyrie
10-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Bankies of Midlothian :greengrin

More like Bankrupt of Midlothian.

Ronniekirk
11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
:not worth

hibees 7062
11-12-2013, 10:56 AM

:greengrin :top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
As long as this isn't a back door entry for the yams to shack up at Meadowbank if the inevitable happens, then it really would be protest time if I can put it mildly :wink:

gramskiwood
11-12-2013, 01:01 PM
As long as this isn't a back door entry for the yams to shack up at Meadowbank if the inevitable happens, then it really would be protest time if I can put it mildly :wink:

It's only gonna be a 10,000 seater, far to small for such a gigantic club. :greengrin

GreenCastle
11-12-2013, 03:41 PM

The yams would never move to Meadowbank.

Come to think of it if they ever have to move from Tynie - there really isn't too many options without moving completely out of Edinburgh.

I am curious to see which part they plan to sell off for housing at Meadowbank.

They have just installed the new 3G at the side so will be interesting to see how they approach this as really the whole thing needs knocked down and updated if they are really serious about a facility that will last for a good few years.

Ozyhibby
11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
The stadium part of the plan will not get the go ahead. This won't be a way out for the Yams.

GoldenEagle
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
http://www.360pix.co.uk/tours/aberdeensportsvillage/

Aberdeen Sports Village, have to say its pretty impressive and the footprint looks similar to Meadowbank.

GreenCastle
11-12-2013, 04:34 PM

Aberdeen Sports Village, have to say its pretty impressive and the footprint looks similar to Meadowbank.

I've been to the Sports Village and it is decent. Having a full size indoor 3g is great also - don't think the new Meadowbank would have this though.

The only issue with the Sports Village football pitch is it's very open to the elements and can often be windy as there isn't much shelter around it.

The amount of space Meadowbank occupies you think they could give the city something to be proud of back for sport - while also not breaking the bank for funds!

GoldenEagle
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I've been to the Sports Village and it is decent. Having a full size indoor 3g is great also - don't think the new Meadowbank would have this though.

The only issue with the Sports Village football pitch is it's very open to the elements and can often be windy as there isn't much shelter around it.

The amount of space Meadowbank occupies you think they could give the city something to be proud of back for sport - while also not breaking the bank for funds!

Maybe simplistic but couldn't they roof the new 4G pitch that has just been laid?

Twa Cairpets
11-12-2013, 06:30 PM

I was at Aberdeen on Monday. The indoor 3G is, well, indoors. Not sure how it's open to the elements?

GreenCastle
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I was at Aberdeen on Monday. The indoor 3G is, well, indoors. Not sure how it's open to the elements?

The indoor pitch is indoors....

The outdoor pitch (with the running track around it) is outdoors and open to the elements at the Sports Village!! :na na:

GreenCastle
12-12-2013, 12:40 PM
More info about the possible plans -

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/historic-meadowbank-velodrome-to-be-demolished-1-3230389

Will be strange without that main stand being there anymore but it's very dated and needing much work done to it.

Maybe they can donate it to the yams as probably safer, with more leg room and less of a fire hazard!

Jones28
12-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Fantastic complex, played Badminton with my cousin who was a cop up there and it was never ending. Friends at uni say the gym is second to none as well.

Very similar footprint to meadowbank :agree:

Gettin' Auld
12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Fantastic complex, played Badminton with my cousin who was a cop up there and it was never ending.

Very similar footprint to meadowbank :agree:

Jeez.......You two must be Donald Ducked by now. :wink:

VivaHiberņa
13-12-2013, 04:05 PM
More info about the possible plans -

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/historic-meadowbank-velodrome-to-be-demolished-1-3230389

Will be strange without that main stand being there anymore but it's very dated and needing much work done to it.

Maybe they can donate it to the yams as probably safer, with more leg room and less of a fire hazard!

Typical bad-news "journalism." An eternity of harping on about losing the old velodrome and only the smallest mention of the nice shiny new one to be built at Craigmiller :grr:

Good to see investment in sport being taken seriously, with this and the new HWU facilities, though I'm still sceptical about its effect at grass-roots level.

Hibs07p
14-12-2013, 07:06 AM
The yams would never move to Meadowbank.

Come to think of it if they ever have to move from Tynie - there really isn't too many options without moving completely out of Edinburgh.

I am curious to see which part they plan to sell off for housing at Meadowbank.

They have just installed the new 3G at the side so will be interesting to see how they approach this as really the whole thing needs knocked down and updated if they are really serious about a facility that will last for a good few years.

Call me a cynic, but I feel the council is testing public opinion on whether we want a new sports facility or not. If we want one, we'll get one, but not necessarily at Meadowbank. The whole site will be sold off for housing development, and the money generated will be used towards developing a worthless piece of land in West Edinburgh, possibly Sighthill, into an all purpose sports stadium. Only my opinion.

GGTTH