PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gauld (NHC)

GreenCastle
09-12-2013, 06:51 PM
How good does everyone think the Dundee Utd youngster is?

Stll 17 - only played 24 - 1st team games but seems to be getting better every game.

Supposedly Arsenal have had scouts to watch him the last 3 / 4 games - and Man Utd are planning a bid.

Interesting article about him here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2520096/Ryan-Gauld-Baby-Messi-staying-grounded-despite-Manchester-United.html

Quite refreshing to have some good young players come through in Scotland - lets hope Hibs bring a few through in the next few years and get back to the days making good profit on when selling them on.

eastterrace
09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
yes he came on as sub against us and i told people around me that he will be a star one day, unless he gets a injury which hope doesnt happen as he is a real talent.

Cabbage East
09-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I think it would be deeply depressing if a talent like this trundled off down to England like the rest of them. I read an article the other day where he said he'd like to go to continental Europe and try his luck there. I think it'd be great for Scotland to see him at a good side in Italy, Germany or Spain.

TRC
09-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I think he will be great to and I hope he does leave scotland ASAP because he'll get better a better education away from the uk. also one of the cloggers in our league will no doubt take exception to being embarrassed by a 17 yr old and give him a doing. really hope it's a German club like Dortmund who know how to get the best out of their youngsters.

yeezus.
09-12-2013, 07:16 PM
I think it would be deeply depressing if a talent like this trundled off down to England like the rest of them. I read an article the other day where he said he'd like to go to continental Europe and try his luck there. I think it'd be great for Scotland to see him at a good side in Italy, Germany or Spain.

I agree 100%. He said on Reporting Scotland a few weeks back he was happy staying at Dundee United... for the time being.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2013, 07:17 PM
The days of making big profit on youngsters in Scotland are gone sadly.

Over the last 2 or 3 years Scotland has produced several very decent young players who have gone off to England for minimal compensation. The best we can hope for is a few have the desire to play a bit 1st team football rather than following the Fraser Fyvie, Danny Wilsom etc route but the money Sky and BT are throwing around in England means the financial temptations will be huge.

Hopefully the national team will see the benefit though.

DC_Hibs
09-12-2013, 07:20 PM
really hope it's a German club like Dortmund who know how to get the best out of their youngsters.

Agreed. Like Marco Reus. Release him, let another club bring him on, then sign him back for about 20 million euros!!

Old firm class.

JIm
09-12-2013, 07:45 PM
An incredible talent. Build upon the foundations he has laid over next couple of season and he'll go on to play at top level.

Can't remember last time I was genuinely as excited about a young player coming through the ranks in Scotland.

Ronniekirk
09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
An incredible talent. Build upon the foundations he has laid over next couple of season and he'll go on to play at top level.

Can't remember last time I was genuinely as excited about a young player coming through the ranks in Scotland.
Yes he seems to have everything in his young lockerSome of those weighted passes he picks out and his overall spatial awareness belies his years. we took john park from United did we not so who whoever is spotting these youngsters at united lets get him These guys are worth head hunting as they make the club money and increase crowds doing the same.

Del Boy
09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
First impressions are he is the best player Scotland have produced in my 25 years watching Scottish football. Seems to have his head screwed on. Is on a long term contract so think united will get a good fee when he does leave.

JIm
09-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes he seems to have everything in his young lockerSome of those weighted passes he picks out and his overall spatial awareness belies his years. we took john park from United did we not so who whoever is spotting these youngsters at united lets get him These guys are worth head hunting as they make the club money and increase crowds doing the same.

I think the whole youth setup needs commended from those at the top to those coaching through the ages. What really interests me is how much of an impact Ian Cathro (old head of youth, young guy) had on this bunch. As someone who knew him he was a strange strange lad but very driven and thus far seems to have made a success of himself despite his lack of communication skills. I wonder how much of his plans are still being used at the club and what the guys made of him? Cathro is now assistant manager of Rio Ave in Portugal. Sure he met the guy on A licence and became friendly and has been there since.

On top of Gauld there is so many others, hopefully more in the wings.

Great example of what can be achieved with a good philosophy through the club as well as the right people to implement it.

Brooster
09-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I have it on very good authority that Arsenal watched him for the first time against Kilmarnock in the cup and were not very impressed.

Hibby Bairn
09-12-2013, 08:48 PM
I think the whole youth setup needs commended from those at the top to those coaching through the ages. What really interests me is how much of an impact Ian Cathro (old head of youth, young guy) had on this bunch. As someone who knew him he was a strange strange lad but very driven and thus far seems to have made a success of himself despite his lack of communication skills. I wonder how much of his plans are still being used at the club and what the guys made of him? Cathro is now assistant manager of Rio Ave in Portugal. Sure he met the guy on A licence and became friendly and has been there since.

On top of Gauld there is so many others, hopefully more in the wings.

Great example of what can be achieved with a good philosophy through the club as well as the right people to implement it.

Did Craig Levein not have a hand in his appointment and the changes made to the youth set up at DU?

JIm
09-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Did Craig Levein not have a hand in his appointment and the changes made to the youth set up at DU?

Yep Levein brought him in. When Levein was appointed Scotland manager Cathro got a role as performance coach in the east region.

H18sry
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dbXfL?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=liverpool

theonlywayisup
09-12-2013, 09:05 PM
What about Jack Harper at Real Madrid? He seems to be well regarded too?

carnoustiehibee
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM

I'll let ecky know hibs want to sign him up

Hibby Bairn
09-12-2013, 09:13 PM

And now gone to Portugal (fed up with Scotland SFA mafia and jobs for the boys)....where he keeps in touch with Gauld and other proteges. :agree:

andudare2
09-12-2013, 09:20 PM
think this boy has the making,s of a quality player,reminds me of alec cropley in so many ways!

lucky
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
By all accounts he is going to be very special. Dutd value him at £6m according to the weekend press. Any decent bids and he will be away.

Pray4Marc
09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
How good does everyone think the Dundee Utd youngster is?

Stll 17 - only played 24 - 1st team games but seems to be getting better every game.

Supposedly Arsenal have had scouts to watch him the last 3 / 4 games - and Man Utd are planning a bid.

Interesting article about him here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2520096/Ryan-Gauld-Baby-Messi-staying-grounded-despite-Manchester-United.html

Quite refreshing to have some good young players come through in Scotland - lets hope Hibs bring a few through in the next few years and get back to the days making good profit on when selling them on.

He wouldn't get in the Hearts team. Jamie Walker is the hottest property in Europe.

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
He wouldn't get in the Hearts team. Jamie Walker is the hottest property in Europe.

Just waiting for that Kickback "if Gauld is worth 6 mill, how much does that put Jason Holt, Calum Paterson and Jamie Walker at?" comment.

The answer, as we shall see in the January sales window, is probably about 50 g's a piece.

IWasThere2016
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Arabs will get good dough and sell-ons for the boy IMHO.

Pray4Marc
09-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Just waiting for that Kickback "if Gauld is worth 6 mill, how much does that put Jason Holt, Calum Paterson and Jamie Walker at?" comment.

The answer, as we shall see in the January sales window, is probably about 50 g's a piece.

Everyone will just want Walker for his diving ability. Seems to have mastered it already and makes Peter Pawletts antics look amateur. Jason holt was a done deal to Real Madrid before his injury.

GreenCastle
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Gauld and Souttar signed till 2016.

Every player has there price...or more...so come January or end of the season we will see what Utd do. Bottom line if he stays injury free and keeps improving they will make a significant amount - especially if a few teams are interested.

We play Utd away Sunday January 5th so may be a chance to see him then..and also a good Hibs away crowd if we beat the yams on the 2nd Jan.

9.5 is the record for a player from the SPL - McGeady to Spartack Moscow - August 2010

Craig Gordon (remember him!!) went for 9 million :shocked: to Sunderland! Best bit of business Vlad ever did!

We hold the highest fee for a player between the league when we sold Scott Brown to Celtic for 4.4 million in 2007.

Coco Bryce
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
He's only on £400 odd a week seemingly?

Jones28
09-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Exciting times for the Dundee united faithful. Gould, Souter and the full back (Robertson?) are all really exciting prospects. Lets not forget GMS who seems to have been totally disregarded since Gauld broke through!

Would be delighted if he stayed in Scotland until he was in his early 20's. Steven Fletcher and James Mccarthy both set great examples to youngsters in Scottish football: stay and learn the game before moving to England. Serve a footbaing apprenticeship in Scotland and reap the rewards by going south when you're 22/23. Having said that it didn't work for goodwillie.

Remember Jack Grimmer and Ryan Fraser? Where are they now?

GoldenEagle
09-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Feruz, Harper and Gauld....where's the betting for the 2018 World Cup :)

BoltonHibee
10-12-2013, 04:37 AM
The most exciting prospect in Scottish football right now. There are so many clubs South of the border watching this lad and 3/4 others from the United side. Most of the clubs know they have no chance of landing this lad as he is destined for bigger and better than them.

GREEN WARLORD
10-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Wasn't the Roma scout also watching him at the weekend? A fantastic young talent, who ripped Motherwell a new one, with 4 assists and a well taken goal. He's almost as good as our own Alex Harris :wink::flag:

SonOfDavidFrancey
10-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a bright lad too. Can also put it about/ look after himself: noticed him going in studs up in the highlights of Arabs - yams on the bbc website.

Ritchie
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
not scared of a tackle either for a wee guy.... watched the highlights of the hearts game and he was giving as good as he got!

frazeHFC
10-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Think he's an unbelievably good talent, as are a few of the other youngsters at Dundee Utd. Joy to watch, just hopefully an off day on the 5th of Jan!

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Hes clearly a huge talent. It will be interesting to see where he goes after United - at this stage of his career he is probably right not to go down South. Its one thing playing against SPL defenders, but in the top league in England alot of the defenders/midfielders are that little bit quicker and are able to read the game better, so he will find himself with a lot less time on the ball.

Souttar is getting a lot of praise as well (and rightly so for a 17 year old), but I still he needs quite a bit of coaching. He can make the hard things look easy but whenever Ive seen him and he has time to think about things, he is prone to the odd daft decision - Ive seen him let the ball bounce in his box with a striker right behind him, and he seems to think hes Beckenbauer when he tries to fire long cross field passes (much like our own CBs at times...).

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I think he will be great to and I hope he does leave scotland ASAP because he'll get better a better education away from the uk. also one of the cloggers in our league will no doubt take exception to being embarrassed by a 17 yr old and give him a doing. really hope it's a German club like Dortmund who know how to get the best out of their youngsters.Arsenal do this perfectly well.

HibeeMG
16-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Signed a new 4-year contract at United.

A great deal for the them as it'll ensure major money to get him now.

Phil MaGlass
17-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Great news, it can only benefit the scottish game that we keep our youngsters, but as I have posted somewhere else, the future is looking bright for Scottish fitba,due to our game being skint we have all been forced to play youngsters and alot of them have taken their chances, we only have to look at our neighbours to see one or two decent players, Aberdeen, Us and D.Utd all have a good few youngsters, if only they can stay in Scotland for 2-3 years longer then all the better.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Not Hibs class.

jacomo
17-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Not Hibs class.

Wasn't sure which would be first... this classic, or the teary 'if he was at Hibs the boo-boys would have destroyed his confidence by now'.

Northernhibee
17-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Brian Grant runs their youth academy now I believe - used to know Granty well and he's got a cracking footballing brain. Good to see youngsters of real quality there right now.

CB_NO3
17-12-2013, 12:08 PM
All that means is United will get a million pound for him. I reckon he will be away at the end of the season. It would be good to see him go to mainland Europe to learn his trade.

ferry hibby
17-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Mate of mine is credited with discovering Gauld and a few others. Vital that we can get kids spotted and into the club and let the coaches develop them. I know Alex is out there all the time watching matches looking for the next star. Pity he is United through and through.

http://article.wn.com/view/2013/11/09/Dundee_United_Alex_Robertson_is_unsung_hero_of_Tan nadice/#/related_news

BoltonHibee
17-12-2013, 02:06 PM
All that means is United will get a million pound for him. I reckon he will be away at the end of the season. It would be good to see him go to mainland Europe to learn his trade.

He is worth much more than £1M at the moment...

HibbyAndy
17-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Well i hope he is oan wages that reflect his valuation.

Remember willie mckay KT and SB.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Well i hope he is oan wages that reflect his valuation.

Remember willie mckay KT and SB.

I'm not sure what his wages are now, I presume he has had a couple of raises in the last 6 weeks.

However I know what you are saying, but there will be a few bidders for him pushing his valuation up. A number of clubs have dropped out of the race as they know they will never afford him

HibbyAndy
17-12-2013, 02:17 PM
:agree:

Skys the limit for this wee guy , I think he can go all the way.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2013, 02:20 PM

Skys the limit for this wee guy , I think he can go all the way.

I hope so.

The future looks quite bright for young Scottish talent coming through. It's just a pity most of them won't ply their trade up here for long given the money English teams can throw at them.

CB_NO3
17-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Says who? Although he is playing amazing just now his form can easily drop. He has only played 25 games in his life. Seen plenty youngsters over the years who look the part at 17, 18 but dont fulfill their potential. 5 good games does not make you a million pound player IMO unless its Jason Holt who is of course a 10 million pound player haha.

I really do hope the boy makes it though. He is a huge prospect.

BoltonHibee
17-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Says who? Although he is playing amazing just now his form can easily drop. He has only played 25 games in his life. Seen plenty youngsters over the years who look the part at 17, 18 but dont fulfill their potential. 5 good games does not make you a million pound player IMO unless its Jason Holt who is of course a 10 million pound player haha.

Says Dundee Utd and some of the clubs chasing him. I did say just now, as I agree players can lose their form or indeed go backwards. Don't think for a minute that it will happen with this lad, but you never know

jdships
17-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure what his wages are now, I presume he has had a couple of raises in the last 6 weeks.

However I know what you are saying, but there will be a few bidders for him pushing his valuation up. A number of clubs have dropped out of the race as they know they will never afford him

This is going to be the problem for DUtd .
They will have to pay these lads decent/reasonable wages to keep them happy .
At the same time they will have watch the " Balance Sheet " or will run into unmanageable debt .
Would imagine they will sell one a year of the the three/four " stars" to balance the books
Great to see there is talent like that about in Scotland :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
17-12-2013, 04:00 PM
He would even get into this star studded Hearts team, the cream of Scotland's youth. He's that good.

Sir David Gray
17-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Even if it means Dundee Utd beat us over the next few years, I hope they keep the likes of Gauld, Robertson and Souttar for a number of years.

The more talent up here the better as far as I'm concerned, regardless of who they play for (with a few obvious exceptions).

CallumLaidlaw
17-12-2013, 08:49 PM

Chris Smalling played less than 30 games for Maidstone & Fulham before Man U paid around £7m for hi

Arsenal paid £12m for Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain after he played less than 40 games for Southampton

These days, clubs are prepared to pay decent money for potential

carnoustiehibee
17-12-2013, 09:05 PM
"I've done the best i can, but I want to take the club forward and I can't see how that will work with young player who are not ready"

Which ex utd gaffer, baldy Jambo ******* said this

Del Boy
17-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Houston does look like a bit of a plonker here! Surely he could see the talent of Gauld, Souttar etc.

McNamara is a good manager but he's been fortunate to inherit some very talented young players.

Piqué
17-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Thought Armstrong looked like Uniteds best player on Saturday, feel for him as he deserves more credit IMO but he is being outshone a bit by Gauld's impressive form and young age right now.

IWasThere2016
17-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Signed a new 4-year contract at United.

A great deal for the them as it'll ensure major money to get him now.

Wage and % of sale on a rising scale. Arabs know what they have on their hands alright. He is worth far more than £1m referred to above. A fee plus add-ons today could easily be worth £4m to the Arabs IMHO as he will play at a far higher level than the SPL.

TheFamous1875
17-12-2013, 09:56 PM
I hope they give Celtic a do-in. A joy to watch, they're the most entertaining side in the league hands down. Not that it will happen, but I'd love for them to take it one step further than we did with our golden generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CB_NO3
17-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Wage and % of sale on a rising scale. Arabs know what they have on their hands alright. He is worth far more than £1m referred to above. A fee plus add-ons today could easily be worth £4m to the Arabs IMHO as he will play at a far higher level than the SPL.
Barry Bannan has played 50 EPL games and is probably not worth 4 Million, so how you can justify an 18 year old who has played 20 odd SPL games roughly the same is silly. Lets see this time next year, then we can see if he is worth x million pounds.

Edit. I noticed your 4 million was including add-ons. My apologies.

Stax
17-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Can't help but feeling envious with crop coming through at utd. The fact players like Goodwillie and to a lesser extent McKay Steven not grabbing as much attention now shows the depth / potential they enjoy. As for value, some of the players / prices mentioned previously put things into perspective. I think it's all well and good saying Epl clubs willing to pay for potential, just not with Scottish players IMO. The money we got for Broony & to a lesser extent Katy seems unbelievable now, but I honestly think if Brown especially had set his sights higher than that manky mob along the road he could be playing at a much better level now and worth god knows how much (compared with players like Scott Parker and his ilk). Anyway, the way our u'20's are going here's hoping we have our own new crop on the way. GGTTH

Ronniekirk
17-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Can't help but feeling envious with crop coming through at utd. The fact players like Goodwillie and to a lesser extent McKay Steven not grabbing as much attention now shows the depth / potential they enjoy. As for value, some of the players / prices mentioned previously put things into perspective. I think it's all well and good saying Epl clubs willing to pay for potential, just not with Scottish players IMO. The money we got for Broony & to a lesser extent Katy seems unbelievable now, but I honestly think if Brown especially had set his sights higher than that manky mob along the road he could be playing at a much better level now and worth god knows how much (compared with players like Scott Parker and his ilk). Anyway, the way our u'20's are going here's hoping we have our own new crop on the way. GGTTH
With our new crop we will reap what we sow:rolleyes:

SMAXXA
17-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Is it just me or is J Mac and the Scottish Media building this young lad up to be the biggest thing since iron brew? It's a really dangerous thing and IMO really unfair to the lad, he's came on huge scene and did fantastic but regardless of how level headed he is we need to stop looking for a saviour of the Scottish game and let the lad develop through time. He hasn't even played half a season yet.

i know there's always the temptation for this kind of thing and I agree we should celebrate true talent when it is the rut it feel that this lads been hyped up to the hilt and we need to rain things in for me.

fwiw looks a cracking player for me bet let's be sensible.

BoltonHibee
18-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Spot on

PeterboroHibee
18-12-2013, 08:24 AM

I dont think thats true. They have an unbelievable first 11 (probably the best in the league, especially with Lennon in charge of Celtic), and a few options to bring off the bench, but there isnt much else to be honest. They have a fairly small squad and as far as I can tell, have been fairly lucky with injuries/suspensions so far. When they inevitably lose a couple of key players it will be genuinely be interesting to see how the team responds (with confidence so high it may not matter of course!).

Sean1875
18-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I work the door of a club in Dundee and he was in last night with the rest of the under 20 team and a couple of the first team, seems a very level headed and respectful lad and saw him having a laugh and getting pictures with folk that were out, good to see it's all not going to his head, very very bright future if he can keep focused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Greencore
18-12-2013, 05:02 PM
The guy is brilliant. Normally I would be jealous because he isn't playing for the hibs. But this can only be good for Scotland! Wish him all the best into becoming a fine tuned athlete

hfc rd
18-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Just seen this on the STV website:-

John Souttar has already played more 1st team football at 17 for Dundee United than every Scottish u21 player at celtic combined. What a youth policy they have!

PeterboroHibee
19-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Just seen this on the STV website:-

John Souttar has already played more 1st team football at 17 for Dundee United than every Scottish u21 player at celtic combined. What a youth policy they have!

Thats not particularly surprising though, for as long as I can remember the U21s and lower are always full of OF players who most people have never heard of, or who never play for their club.

At least in the U21s there is some chance of recognition for other SPL clubs though, and because more and more non-OF clubs are relying on younger guys at first team level it means they are starting to get picked! Itll get to the point where Strachan cant ignore the talent that is coming through and has to actually play them (rather than the 5 minute cameo GMS got over the last 2 Scotland games for example).