Northern Hibby
09-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Beat me to it.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2013, 06:40 PM
He's on right now

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Could still do a job as a pundit. Would love to see Sportscene give him a contract.

carnoustiehibee
09-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Could still do a job as a pundit. Would love to see Sportscene give him a contract.

As I say,..erm...well yeh,as I say.

Doubt he'll be back then. Hopefully gets a team soon

TowerHibs
09-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Derek playing centre forward for any team, even the Jambos, would get 10-15 goals a year. Time has past for us but can only wish him all the best. Legend!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ3ihnxWNU

Nevi_SOL
09-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Derek playing centre forward for any team, even the Jambos, would get 10-15 goals a year. Time has past for us but can only wish him all the best. Legend!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ3ihnxWNU 6 month contract anyone :duck::xtree2

Northern Hibby
09-12-2013, 07:09 PM
How can we knock back Deeks for free, I understand being hesitant if we had to to pay money but I'd love to see him under Butcher & Malpas :-)

hibby rae
09-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Past his best though. If he'd been smarter when he was younger he could have made it at the highest level, Sky or MOTD!

JIm
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
6 month contract anyone :duck::xtree2

Only if we get Gaz as well :thumbsup:

JIm
09-12-2013, 07:21 PM
By the way, what a player, the goals were incredible.

sleeping giant
09-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Scored some wonderful goals.
Hope he gets a club for a last couple of seasons.
Surprised not heard anything about Ian Murray taking him on.

ancienthibby
09-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Scored some wonderful goals.
Hope he gets a club for a last couple of seasons.
Surprised not heard anything about Ian Murray taking him on.

Maybe because he's been training at Alloa with Paul Hartley.:aok:

sleeping giant
09-12-2013, 07:40 PM

I didn't know that. Any news on him getting a contract?

Billy Whizz
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM

And it's 10 mins from where he lives

Frazerbob
09-12-2013, 07:48 PM
So what was his chat?

The Voice Of Reason
09-12-2013, 08:00 PM
He doesn't track back enough to bea Pundit.......too lazy!

.Sean.
09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
What an incredible talent, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Hibbyradge
09-12-2013, 08:14 PM
What an incredible talent, I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

You know he's scored one goal in nearly 3 years (in China) and he failed to score for Bristol Rovers in the lowest league in England?

He used to be an incredible talent. He's not anymore.

Carheenlea
09-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Podcast available to listen to Deeks here http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

Bleeds green
09-12-2013, 08:15 PM
How can we knock back Deeks for free, I understand being hesitant if we had to to pay money but I'd love to see him under Butcher & Malpas :-)

Because he's older, heavier, slower out of practice wasn't that great in his last spell at ER IMO

Fergus52
09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ3ihnxWNU

Never thought I'd hear Sigur Ros in a football compilation

The Sea-gull
09-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Thought it was interesting how Deeks said he recently offered to play for hibs for free and Petrie knocked him back coz deeks told a paper he didnae think hibs were playing that well and were getting bad results. Surely Petrie shouldn't be making calls like that? The manager should decide who trains/plays for the team. Been told by folk on here that Petrie doesnae make these calls but Deeks comments tonight suggest other wise.

jacomo
10-12-2013, 12:19 AM
He doesn't track back enough to bea Pundit.......too lazy!

Typical, folk here criticising him when he isn't being deployed in his best role. Commentator for me.

Itsnoteasy
10-12-2013, 12:24 AM
He said he offered to play for nowt. But Petrie knocked him back after he stated in the papers that the current HFC team were pish.:top marks

Itsnoteasy
10-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Because he's older, heavier, slower out of practice wasn't that great in his last spell at ER IMO

This sounds like the current striker minus the older bit

Hibbyradge
10-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Thought it was interesting how Deeks said he recently offered to play for hibs for free and Petrie knocked him back coz deeks told a paper he didnae think hibs were playing that well and were getting bad results. Surely Petrie shouldn't be making calls like that? The manager should decide who trains/plays for the team. Been told by folk on here that Petrie doesnae make these calls but Deeks comments tonight suggest other wise.

"Thanks for the offer of playing for us for nothing, Derek, but I'm afraid that your observation that we wereny playing awe that well has pure gubbed your chances of a game. Beat it."

Sounds plausible to me.

Hibbyradge
10-12-2013, 12:31 AM
He said he offered to play for nowt. But Petrie knocked him back after he stated in the papers that the current HFC team were pish.:top marks

Petrie is a liar then.

The real reason he knocked Deek back is because he's a pish footballer now.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

(He won't).

Leishy1995
10-12-2013, 03:28 AM
How does a thread about what is a Hibs legend, to most people in my generation at least, appearing on the radio turn into a "he's crap" "pish footballer" thread.

For what it's worth his return in his second spell was still, fantastic. So before the thread reaches a second page wrap that patter.

Would I rather an unfit, over weight Rowan Vine, or a possibly unfit Derek Riordan, depending on his choices of late? No need to answer. I know the correct one.

Dashing Bob S
10-12-2013, 04:06 AM
I still feel he has it in him to make several bold statements per game, and he performs well at the anecdote, but the modern game demands paraphrasing and contextualising, precisely the areas where he's weak.

I'd say he could do a job on the fairground tannoy or the bingo calling.

Brizo
10-12-2013, 07:21 AM
I still feel he has it in him to make several bold statements per game, and he performs well at the anecdote, but the modern game demands paraphrasing and contextualising, precisely the areas where he's weak.

I'd say he could do a job on the fairground tannoy or the bingo calling.

I like the way he gave himself thinking time by saying eh before every answer. An astute tactic which will serve him well while deciding whether its two fat ladies or legs eleven.

If Yogi can get a gig as a pundit there must be a spot for Deeks. People who dont see that are just pure snobby, likes.

Bleeds green
10-12-2013, 07:38 AM
How does a thread about what is a Hibs legend, to most people in my generation at least, appearing on the radio turn into a "he's crap" "pish footballer" thread.

For what it's worth his return in his second spell was still, fantastic. So before the thread reaches a second page wrap that patter.

Would I rather an unfit, over weight Rowan Vine, or a possibly unfit Derek Riordan, depending on his choices of late? No need to answer. I know the correct one.

Must be the reason clubs r falling over each other in the race to sign him

Iain G
10-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Vine has more impressive facial hair growing skills so I know who gets my vote :agree::wink:

The Sea-gull
10-12-2013, 08:07 AM
"Thanks for the offer of playing for us for nothing, Derek, but I'm afraid that your observation that we wereny playing awe that well has pure gubbed your chances of a game. Beat it."

Sounds plausible to me.

It does sound a bit strange but also strange that Deek would lie on the radio. I don't think we should be looking at Deek particularly for all the reasons others have stated. There is a part of me however that thinks it wouldn't be a terrible idea if it was for free. It's not my decision. It shouldn't be Petrie's either. The only man who should decide is terry butcher.

Brightside
10-12-2013, 08:17 AM
A legend indeed. But from the past. Lets stop all the 6 month contract nonsense. He will never play for Hibs again.

greenpaper55
10-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Petrie is a liar then.

The real reason he knocked Deek back is because he's a pish footballer now.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

(He won't).

Petrie should not be nocking anybody back, that is the managers job. I was looking at the left midfield on Saturday and thinking how a half fit Deeks compared to Lewis, no contest really !.

Northernhibee
10-12-2013, 08:39 AM

Vine has scored nine times as many goals as Deeks in the last three seasons at a higher level.

Bored of the Vine bashing on here - just because you'd like to see Deeks back at the club isn't a reason to havee another dig at Vine.

hibby rae
10-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I like the way he gave himself thinking time by saying eh before every answer. An astute tactic which will serve him well while deciding whether its two fat ladies or legs eleven.

If Yogi can get a gig as a pundit there must be a spot for Deeks. People who dont see that are just pure snobby, likes.

The ability is probably still there. He was always the type that might do nothing for 89 minutes then from nowhere come out with a really insightful match defining comment.

truehibernian
10-12-2013, 09:03 AM
The ability is probably still there. He was always the type that might do nothing for 89 minutes then from nowhere come out with a really insightful match defining comment.

I don't think natural ability ever leaves you, however the fitness does (as does the drive/enthusiasm for the game).

SH would probably know better than anyone, but I think if Derek was to ever get that chance again he would need to rediscover that hunger and passion for football - I don't mean just play for playing sake, but that feeling that life isn't quite complete without football in his life. Again, SH would correct me, but I think Derek might get easily frustrated with himself and others (on the football pitch right now) - knowing what he can do but can't quite achieve, and maybe still thinking that one or two passes ahead of everyone else on the pitch - others not on the wavelength and his head dropping.

Funnily enough I can see Derek going into coaching, perhaps not management as I don't think he has the right attributes for managerial roles, but I can easily see him as a striker coach/assistant - there were few better at finding the net from all areas of the pitch after all.

Ronniekirk
10-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Vine has scored nine times as many goals as Deeks in the last three seasons at a higher level.

Bored of the Vine bashing on here - just because you'd like to see Deeks back at the club isn't a reason to havee another dig at Vine.
We are struggling for goals but so far Butcher has decided not to give him game time Without slagging him off think that tells you everything you need to know as Hefferman being out was an ideal opportunity but young Cummings was preferred. he just hasn't done enough and contract runs out in summer Think if he can find another club in January he will be let go unless he gets game time and starts scoring .

The Sea-gull
10-12-2013, 09:24 AM
We are struggling for goals but so far Butcher has decided not to give him game time Without slagging him off think that tells you everything you need to know as Hefferman being out was an ideal opportunity but young Cummings was preferred. he just hasn't done enough and contract runs out in summer Think if he can find another club in January he will be let go unless he gets game time and starts scoring .

:agree: This. don't think vine will be the only one we may attempt to cut our losses on in terms of players who are out of contract come end of season. As long as it doesn't cost too much then I support this if it allows the maanger to get a few of his own men in and change our style and hopefully volume of goals and victories.

We can still make something of this season but it will be tough. Even tougher if we don't make many/any changes to the squad in Jan.

Beefster
10-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Even in the unlikely event that that's actually true, why would Hibs want someone in the squad who has publicly slated his potential team-mates?

jacomo
10-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Don't know. How does a thread about Deeks being on the radio turn into another debate about how good he was in his second spell at Hibs?

:wink:

NOLA
10-12-2013, 10:36 AM
the same Petrie who fined him for saying the pitch was bogging? :wink:

Leishy1995
10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

And yet for Hibs Vine has been awful. That's what matters to me not that he scored 9 goals in three seasons or whatever.

Purple & Green
10-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Matchday host anyone?

GoldenEagle
10-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Could be Petrie quite willing to be the 'fall guy' after consulting with the manager.

Waxy
10-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeh sign Deek. While we're at it we can sign Stevie Cowan to play alongside.
Latapy in midfield and anyone else?

Northernhibee
10-12-2013, 01:54 PM
And yet for Hibs Vine has been awful. That's what matters to me not that he scored 9 goals in three seasons or whatever.

He's hardly been given an opportunity from the experts on here?

B.H.F.C
10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeh sign Deek. While we're at it we can sign Stevie Cowan to play alongside.
Latapy in midfield and anyone else?

I think Latapy would still stroll it!

JimBHibees
10-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I think Latapy would still stroll it!

Exactly what I was thinking.

hibbeedavid
10-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I just can't understand why people slate him for his second spell, he was played on the wing and still returned double figure goalscoring, we don't even have a striker these days who looks like getting double figures!

Yes he maybe wasn't quite as exceptional as first time round but he still was very good considering he was largely played out of position

In 2011 'significant minority' of fans weren't fussed about losing Deeks who got double figures and in 2013 a 'significant minority' were crying about losing Wotherspoon as he'd scored about 6 goals from midfield in a season, shows how times change

FWIW I'd give him 1 last chance, 1 transgression and he would be out but I think he'd still return more for is than Vine would

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Petrie should not be nocking anybody back, that is the managers job. I was looking at the left midfield on Saturday and thinking how a half fit Deeks compared to Lewis, no contest really !.

Whilst I agree with the first bit, are you really suggesting Riordan, who hasnt played football in however many years ,would really be able to cut it ahead of someone who is being picked every week at the moment? He may have more technical ability than Stevenson, but he isnt that good to rely on that alone!

Going back to the general theme this thread seems to be taking, whilst I think some people go over the top criticizing him (amongst other ex-players), there is the other side of the coin where some fans have this ridiculous, dreamy eyed obsession with thinking our team should be filled with guys who were once successful at the club, but dare I say it, probably now past their best (and backed up by the fact that no one else has taken a chance on them...).

California-Hibs
10-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I just can't understand why people slate him for his second spell, he was played on the wing and still returned double figure goalscoring, we don't even have a striker these days who looks like getting double figures!

Yes he maybe wasn't quite as exceptional as first time round but he still was very good considering he was largely played out of position

In 2011 'significant minority' of fans weren't fussed about losing Deeks who got double figures and in 2013 a 'significant minority' were crying about losing Wotherspoon as he'd scored about 6 goals from midfield in a season, shows how times change

FWIW I'd give him 1 last chance, 1 transgression and he would be out but I think he'd still return more for is than Vine would

This!! I've never understood either why folk slate Riordan for his second spell at Hibs, saying he wasn't a success and it never worked out etc....he scored DOUBLE figures and was mostly playing out wide!! He was VERY much a success second time round and id gladly take a third!

bad_news_boab
10-12-2013, 05:00 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

I feel it is my duty to be the one to tell you this so im afraid ive got some BAD NEWS. There is no point in making an appearence on sportsound in the hope of re-capturing your former glory. Even your old best friend Mr Ian Murray doesn't want you , Infact he would rather sign up Colin Nish which certainly rules you out on a big money move to Dumbarton.

As far offering to play for Hibernian for free...It's obvious to myself and the rest of the brainy Hibees that your just not cut out for the job. You proved on your 2nd spell at the club that you were an overweight,lazy,moany, pain in the backside to watch person. Oh and by the way your still a legend

Your friend Boab.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

I feel it is my duty to be the one to tell you this so im afraid ive got some BAD NEWS. There is no point in making an appearence on sportsound in the hope of re-capturing your former glory. Even your old best friend Mr Ian Murray doesn't want you , Infact he would rather sign up Colin Nish which certainly rules you out on a big money move to Dumbarton.

As far offering to play for Hibernian for free...It's obvious to myself and the rest of the brainy Hibees that your just not cut out for the job. You proved on your 2nd spell at the club that you were an overweight,lazy,moany, pain in the backside to watch person. Oh and by the way your still a legend

Your friend Boab.

Terrible post and extremely harsh too.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Podcast available to listen to Deeks here http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

Good post and a good listen:top marks

hibeemikey21
10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

Your friend Boab.

Fast becoming my favorite poster. There is a recurring theme to your posts, but the bad news is I can't put my finger on what it is.

just_joe
10-12-2013, 05:11 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

Your friend Boab.

Bad news Boab....

Pete
10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
The only people who deserve some bad news are these smarterse cheats fans on here spouting negative crap all the time who think they're fooling people.

The lot of you...enjoy the championship.

just_joe
10-12-2013, 05:32 PM
The only people who deserve some bad news are these smarterse cheats fans on here spouting negative crap all the time who think they're fooling people.

The lot of you...enjoy the championship.

So he is a hearts fan for given out the bad news? Get a grip man lol Grow up!

Pete
10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
So he is a hearts fan for given out the bad news? Get a grip man lol Grow up!

I'm not too bad in the "grown up" department, I'm just getting a bit intolerant regarding all these obvious wind ups.

If you want to entertain them then feel free.

just_joe
10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm not too bad in the "grown up" department, I'm just getting a bit intolerant regarding all these obvious wind ups.

If you want to entertain them then feel free.

So you class someone as a hearts fan because they like a wee wind up? I remember I used to call people a jambo for being negative when I was in primary school - A grown man doesnt cry "jambo" at someone whos having a wee laugh. come on man lol

Pete
10-12-2013, 05:59 PM
So you class someone as a hearts fan because they like a wee wind up? I remember I used to call people a jambo for being negative when I was in primary school - A grown man doesnt cry "jambo" at someone whos having a wee laugh. come on man lol

No, I class them as a hearts fan on the wind up when they bring nothing to the board and make posts like that. It's bleedin obvious half the time but you aren't really allowed to discuss it.

Thanks for sharing your primary school experiences and how you think a grown man should act. If you think that poster, or that post is funny then you've got a bit of a nerve commenting on anyone else's maturity.:wink:

just_joe
10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
No, I class them as a hearts fan on the wind up when they bring nothing to the board and make posts like that. It's bleedin obvious half the time but you aren't really allowed to discuss it.

Thanks for sharing your primary school experiences and how you think a grown man should act. If you think that poster, or that post is funny then you've got a bit of a nerve commenting on anyone else's maturity.:wink:

lmao ok.:top marks

Pete
10-12-2013, 06:17 PM
lmao ok.:top marks

Knowing my judgement, bad news bob is probably in the hibs 100 club.:rolleyes::greengrin

ColintonHibs
10-12-2013, 06:25 PM
dunno why noone wants him back. dont see anyone else in our team getting 10-15 goals a season

hibby rae
10-12-2013, 06:41 PM
dunno why noone wants him back. dont see anyone else in our team getting 10-15 goals a season

Keith Wright's not playing for anyone either. :greengrin

Thecat23
10-12-2013, 06:51 PM

But a player who hasn't kicked a ball in nearly 2 years will? No chance. Deek was one of a kind about 10 years ago. Loved watching him. If anyone on here thinks we should get him back needs their head read. He WAS a great player. If he still could do it at this level he would have a team. Whatever he does I wish the guy well but I'm delighted he's not with us right now.

Mon Dieu4
10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Often wonder if the Liverpool fans slate Robbie Fowler as he didn't do much outside of playing for them

wouldn't have thought so, they will see him for what he was, a legend and one of the best strikers they have had,

must be because over the last 30 years we have be inundated with the amount of legends we have had play for us that Riordan gets a raw deal,

i mean the amount of players we've had score over 100 goals and some of them up there with the best you will see, we really must be spoiled to give him a hard time

.Sean.
10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Kris Boyd came across very well.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-12-2013, 07:56 PM

I thought this too:agree:

Thecat23
10-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Often wonder if the Liverpool fans slate Robbie Fowler as he didn't do much outside of playing for them

wouldn't have thought so, they will see him for what he was, a legend and one of the best strikers they have had,

must be because over the last 30 years we have be inundated with the amount of legends we have had play for us that Riordan gets a raw deal,

i mean the amount of players we've had score over 100 goals and some of them up there with the best you will see, we really must be spoiled to give him a hard time

Who's slating him? Folk are saying what a great player he was. But is so far past it how do we know he'd even do well in the first division? He will always be remembered fondly by me and sure 99.9% of Hibs fans. I think people are actually disappointed he never made the step up when it was clear how good he was back then.

Just because he's over the hill now doesn't mean anyone is disrespecting him.

hhibs
10-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Yes indeed made me rethink some of my past views on the man.Also pretty clear he thought a lot of DR as a player too.

Pretty pissed off with many on this strand belittling the contribution Deeks made to this club during both times at Easter Road.
And yes,there are many of us who who would wish to give him just one more chance at Easter Road but that is up to TB and MM.
But maybe, just maybe, worth one more chance\?

LancsHibs
10-12-2013, 08:52 PM
What's there to lose? He's offering to come for NOTHING! Invite him down for training, if he's well off the mark or has a disruptive attitude then he's shown the door, thanks but no thanks, but on the other hand.........

hhibs
10-12-2013, 09:01 PM
What's there to lose? He's offering to come for NOTHING! Invite him down for training, if he's well off the mark or has a disruptive attitude then he's shown the door, thanks but no thanks, but on the other hand.........

Yes indeed, no harm no foul.

Jonnyboy
10-12-2013, 09:39 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

Your friend Boab.

BAD news is that DR scored 39 goals during his second stint. Perhaps you could dig out some data to show me which of his team mates achieved that because if you can, it's BAD news for me :wink:

jacomo
10-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Who gives him a hard time? The only debate is caused when people advocate signing him for a third spell.

Do Liverpool fans demand Fowler dons the no.9 shirt again?

LancsHibs
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Who gives him a hard time? The only debate is caused when people advocate signing him for a third spell.

Do Liverpool fans demand Fowler dons the no.9 shirt again?

Robbie Fowler is 38 Derek Riordan is 30 (btw Fowler played professionally until he was 36)

Jonnyboy
10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Fast becoming my favorite poster. There is a recurring theme to your posts, but the bad news is I can't put my finger on what it is.

:shocked:

One Day Soon
10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
To Mr Derek Riordan...

Your friend Boab.

That's a God-awful dreary wee post.

Iain G
10-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes indeed made me rethink some of my past views on the man.Also pretty clear he thought a lot of DR as a player too.

Pretty pissed off with many on this strand belittling the contribution Deeks made to this club during both times at Easter Road.
And yes,there are many of us who who would wish to give him just one more chance at Easter Road but that is up to TB and MM.
But maybe, just maybe, worth one more chance\?

Is he really worth another chance? The stats from his last two years and his lack of club at the moment would maybe suggest otherwise?

Yes there is always the romantic inclination towards "returning hero's" to the club but very rarely does it work out well the second time, never mind the third.

I would rather we brought in some of the young players and gave them the chance than brining back a player who, on the evidence in front of us, is finished playing SPL level football.

NadeAteMyLunch!
10-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Bad News Boab, are you Sidney? Your posts are awfy similar

Jonnyboy
10-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Is he really worth another chance? The stats from his last two years and his lack of club at the moment would maybe suggest otherwise?

Yes there is always the romantic inclination towards "returning hero's" to the club but very rarely does it work out well the second time, never mind the third.

I would rather we brought in some of the young players and gave them the chance than brining back a player who, on the evidence in front of us, is finished playing SPL level football.

For me this is the nub of the matter. I'm as big a Riordan fan as you could wish to meet but any romantic notion of him returning simply brings out the detractors. Derek ain't coming back and posts asking why not actually do him no favours. It elicits the fat and lazy accusations which when measured against his goals contribution are simply nonsense but folk still say it anyway.

hibby rae
10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Robbie Fowler is 38 Derek Riordan is 30 (btw Fowler played professionally until he was 36)

If it's a choice between the two, then I opt for Robbie!

LancsHibs
10-12-2013, 10:42 PM
If it's a choice between the two, then I opt for Robbie!

Last I heard Robbie Fowler isn't offering to come a train with us for nothing! If he is get him in, he can help Deeks with the cones:greengrin

weecounty hibby
10-12-2013, 11:04 PM
At no point in his career did Fowler go almost 3 years without playing with no clubs interested in signing him. Derek is a club legend and one of the finest players ever to play for us but we really need to move on. And I mean us and Derek. I hope he gets fixed up with a club somewhere as he should still be playing football. I just don't think it will be with us. Thanks for the memories in each of your spells with us tho!!

Leishy1995
10-12-2013, 11:04 PM
He's hardly been given an opportunity from the experts on here?

Because when he has played he's looked awful and uninterested, and despite a pre season with the club and now 6 months of a contract with our club he has yet to look like he is a professional footballer. More Sunday league.

Shrekko
10-12-2013, 11:13 PM

Must admit, the last few times I've heard him talk on tv or radio I've been pretty stunned at how fairly intelligent he sounds these days.

Northernhibee
10-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Because when he has played he's looked awful and uninterested, and despite a pre season with the club and now 6 months of a contract with our club he has yet to look like he is a professional footballer. More Sunday league.

Three assists in the cup game - definately a footballer there. Just a shame he's been booed and given abuse since day one - an utter, utter embarrasment.

hibeemikey21
10-12-2013, 11:19 PM
:shocked:

Don't fret - modicum of sarcasm :wink:

allezsauzee
10-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Three assists in the cup game - definately a footballer there. Just a shame he's been booed and given abuse since day one - an utter, utter embarrasment.

I'm afraid when some people have made their mind up about a player it's difficult to change their attitude. In the cup game , the eejits behind me were shouting at Fenlon to get Vine off for the whole game saying he'd done nothing...apart from setting up 3 goals of course. I recall him getting it tight from a section of the crowd away to Kilmarnock despite setting up Liam Craig's equalising goal!

Hibbyradge
10-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Butcher should phone Deek and tell him to sign fot a championship team like Raith Rovers or the likes.

He should use the rest of the season to prove that although he couldn't command a starting place in what was the worst team in England at the time,Bristol Rovers, he could still "do a job" for us. For free.

Plan?

Wilson
11-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Butcher should phone Deek and tell him to sign fot a championship team like Raith Rovers or the likes.

He should use the rest of the season to prove that although he couldn't command a starting place in what was the worst team in England at the time,Bristol Rovers, he could still "do a job" for us. For free.

Plan?

Would Raith Rovers want him?

Leishy1995
11-12-2013, 03:13 AM

He got three assists against a part time team in "league 1"

Vine just isn't very good this year. If he proves me wrong well done him, but I doubt he'll do that. Or close.

Abuse since day one? Most, including myself, were happy we signed him.

DanHFC1875
11-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Derek Riordan says he can still cut it in top flight
Derek Riordan says he is desperate to get back playing and says he is still good enough for the Premiership. Riordan, 30, has been without a club since leaving Bristol Rovers last December. He has been most recently building his fitness at Alloa.
He said: “I’ve been training with Alloa for the last six weeks so I’m grateful to Paul (Hartley) for taking me in.
“I’m dying to get back to playing football. I was training hard in the summer to try and get back into a top-flight club but things still haven’t worked out.”

I know a lot of fans are becoming tired of it, but I don't see a problem saying, Ho! Deek, come and train with us and we'll see if your worth a short term deal.

PeterboroHibee
11-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Derek Riordan says he is desperate to get back playing and says he is still good enough for the Premiership. Riordan, 30, has been without a club since leaving Bristol Rovers last December. He has been most recently building his fitness at Alloa.
He said: “I’ve been training with Alloa for the last six weeks so I’m grateful to Paul (Hartley) for taking me in.
“I’m dying to get back to playing football. I was training hard in the summer to try and get back into a top-flight club but things still haven’t worked out.”

I know a lot of fans are becoming tired of it, but I don't see a problem saying, Ho! Deek, come and train with us and we'll see if your worth a short term deal.

But do you not question why that hasnt happened, with us or any club? Since leaving us 3 years ago hes been with 3 clubs, played 25 games and scored 1 goal.

carnoustiehibee
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
But do you not question why that hasnt happened, with us or any club? Since leaving us 3 years ago hes been with 3 clubs, played 25 games and scored 1 goal.

In those 3 years rowan vine has played 79 times and scored 9 goals. And still somehow gets a wage

Sergio sledge
11-12-2013, 11:01 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I believe Riordan still has the talent to play in the top flight but the fact that no-one is prepared to take him on should motivate him to drop down a level to prove to everyone that he still has it. The fact that he doesn't want to do this and is happy to not play at all rather than play for a lower league club for 6 months to a year makes me question if he really does still have the desire to play football at the highest level.

If he doesn't then that's fair enough, he's had a great career for Hibs with a lot of fantastic goals and he'll have earned a fair bit of money. I just wish he'd stop speaking to the papers/journalists every so often telling them how he still wants to play football and how he offered to play for Hibs for free. It does Hibs (the club he supports) no good to continually stir up the underlying split in the support that he caused back in 2006 during the whole contract offer/pre-contract with Celtic saga.

PeterboroHibee
11-12-2013, 11:11 AM
In those 3 years rowan vine has played 79 times and scored 9 goals. And still somehow gets a wage

Im not quite sure what thats got to with Riordan?

Also, Vine has a contract with us because he played well last season for St Johnstone, and was clearly a valuable member of a team that was better than us.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Don't fret - modicum of sarcasm :wink:

Phew!!! :greengrin

Sammy7nil
12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Even in the unlikely event that that's actually true, why would Hibs want someone in the squad who has publicly slated his potential team-mates?

I dont think stating the bleeding obvious is publicly slating his potential team mates. :wink:
Hibs have not played well for years, Deeks knows it, Petrie Knows it, you know it, I know it, and so do the current squad it is not a well kept secret. :greengrin

However Deeks days are in the past he simply has too much baggage and too many problems to return. Which I for one am very sad about because at his best I thought he was a genius :agree:

Northernhibee
12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
We have one of the best, if not the best, scouts in Scotland. If he considers Deeks worth a risk or not it'll be the right decision.

StokePogesHibs
15-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Bumping this one back up. In hindsight better to have a hungry Deeks with something to prove than the makeweights we've had up front.:offski:

Jim44
15-05-2014, 05:38 AM
Bumping this one back up. In hindsight better to have a hungry Deeks with something to prove than the makeweights we've had up front.:offski:

Naughty boy. :-)

Beefster
15-05-2014, 05:48 AM

How did a hungry Deeks with something to prove do at Alloa?

Rowan Vine has done better in the SPFL Championship than Riordan in the last few months AFAIK.

silverhibee
15-05-2014, 06:59 AM
How did a hungry Deeks with something to prove do at Alloa?

Rowan Vine has done better in the SPFL Championship than Riordan in the last few months AFAIK.

Derek got injured playing for Alloa.

Mind you strange timing to bring this thread up today.

scoopyboy
15-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Strange as in you expect something else to happen today:cb

Beefster
15-05-2014, 07:28 AM

I reckon my point still stands. It wasn't really a dig at Riordan though.

As for the timing, the poster who dragged it back up is simply trolling. Some folk on here will do anything to stir up **** whilst we're struggling.

silverhibee
15-05-2014, 07:38 AM

As for the timing, the poster who dragged it back up is simply trolling. Some folk on here will do anything to stir up **** whilst we're struggling.

Did Rowan Vine get a MOTM award. :greengrin

Jones28
15-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Again?

Really?

Keith_M
15-05-2014, 08:25 AM
:troll:

Jones28
15-05-2014, 08:52 AM

This

scott7_0(Prague)
15-05-2014, 08:59 AM

This!

erin go bragh
15-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Best striker of a ball I've seen . Good chance he will be the last striker to score over 100 goals for us .thanks for the memories Deeks .

Ggtth

Cabbage East
15-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Is there anyone who can honestly say they wouldn't like to have a fit Deek available for selection for the play offs?

SlickShoes
15-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Is there anyone who can honestly say they wouldn't like to have a fit Deek available for selection for the play offs?

is there anyone who can honestly say they wouldn't like to have a fit Franck Sauzee available for the play offs?

portycabbage
15-05-2014, 09:49 AM

is there anyone who can honestly say they wouldn't like to have a fit Franck Sauzee available for the play offs?

What's Michael Whelahan up to these days?:wink:

Cabbage East
15-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Franck retired.

SlickShoes
15-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Franck retired.

He did, Derek has played 2 games for Alloa in the last 2 years and scored 1 goal since leaving hibs in 2011, let's get him back so he can recapture the form of his life!

R11Loaded
15-05-2014, 12:41 PM
http://bit.ly/RUjlTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
15-05-2014, 11:02 PM
http://bit.ly/RUjlTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats that got to do with the price of cheese . Head boil away and your .

Ggtth

Unseen work
15-05-2014, 11:21 PM
I can't beleive he's only 31! He's been about for ages without doing anything

Shame for such a good player he only had 3? Really good seasons. After that he barely done anything

The Green Goblin
16-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Is it groundhog day already?

StokePogesHibs
16-05-2014, 01:46 AM

I live in America hence the posting time.

It is hard to bear watching us fail to threaten the goal from dead balls in the final third. We've had 2 dead ball magicians in the last 10 years. Griffiths and Deeks. One we couldn't afford and the other we wouldn't let play for free. Fully agree that we should get behind the team over the next 2 weeks. Hindsight says that his goalscoring talent could be usefully deployed in the change that needs to happen at Easter Road over the summer. Not a main 90 minute player but is he really worse than what we've called on this season?

KWJ
16-05-2014, 01:56 AM
I live in America hence the posting time.

Not a main 90 minute player but is he really worse than what we've called on this season?

The guy's just been released by Alloa Athletic. Are you serious?

Jones28
16-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Released by Alloa Athletic.

Case closed?

Mikey09
16-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Personally I wouldn't want Deeks, o'connor in for The play offs. Only one I would fall over myself to be in the starting line up for these huge games is Kenny miller. He would bring everything we would require to lead the line for these games and fit into Terry's tactics perfectly. Just my opinion. Never gonna happen tho.... Nice dream....