PDA

View Full Version : I thought we played well and were unlucky not to score 3 or 4

Diclonius
09-12-2013, 11:46 AM
A few wonder saves from the keeper and Cummings' horror miss. Partick had about 2 chances the whole game.

So why is everyone acting like we saved ourselves from a humping?

erskine-hibby
09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Stats would agree with that.

Mikeystewart
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
A few wonder saves from the keeper and Cummings' horror miss. Partick had about 2 chances the whole game.

The stats would suggest we are causing teams more problems under Butcher which is a good thing.

However the long ball direct style wasn't pleasant on the eye.

I suspect the style will remain the same until players are brought in that Butcher trusts to play the ball on the deck.

Unless Harris makes a good recovery and we play with 2 on the deck wide players i.e. Cairney and Harris.

I would hope that Butcher doesn't see this as a long term style he wants to play, but more of a short term fix until he gets the right players in.

I won't get worried about the style unless we are playing like that this time next year.

lord bunberry
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM

I don't think anyone is suggesting we saved ourselves from a humping, the general consensus seems to be that a draw was a fair result but the performance was poor.

The Sea-gull
09-12-2013, 12:22 PM
The performance was ok on Sat not great but not poor either. If things were going as we would all like them to, we would forgive a mixed performance 1-1 draw at home to the likes of Partick. A few folk are getting a wee bit peeved by it as our home form, our form in general granted but especially our home form, has been dire for a long time now. Patricularly so in 2013.

Don't buy into the "Pat Fenlon's side would have lost that one" chat. Maybe they would have but from what I have seen so far, we have the same players, playing the same way with the same lack of confidence as they have been largely doing all along. That's coz Butcher or anyone else coming in, is not a magician and can't make poor unconfident players great in a matter of weeks.

I don't think there is a huge amount wrong shy of getting pace and creativity in (Fenlon's failure to do this was probably his ultimate downfall) but things are not great either. Butcher is a decent manager but he can't come in and change things over night. Perhaps once Harris is fit and up to speed and we maybe make a couple of signings in January who have time to bed in we will see a different style and hopefully better results but we may just have to accept that for the next three months or so we will have to put up with some dissappointing results and performances. A battling perfomance is as good as we'll get as we don't seem to have the players who will produce slick, confident display.

My issue is that we perhaps made the managerial change too late for this season. It was already going to be hard enough but had PF gone after the derby defeat in August a new man would have had a couple of weeks of the transfer window and a bit more time to make someting of this season.

Our season is far from over but with the form of ICT, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen that is probably three of 5 available top 6 places gone already. Motherwell are still in there but look like they may wobble. St Johnstone are within touching distance but can't afford to let them get much further ahead. Our best bet for top 6 is taking advantage of any Motherwell wobble or getting closer to St Johnstone. If Yogi doesn't fit in at ICT then there is a chance they could falter too if they lose players in January but even then, can't see them falling out of the top half this season.

Monts
09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
I think the problem is that while we did create quite a few chances, we didn't really look like we could take them.

The lack of cutting edge is what is getting to people I think.

We appear to have improved since butcher came in, but the amount of goals we're scoring hasn't improved enough to stop people doubting we can actually put the ball in the net when given the chance.

Hibs7
09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Just saw the highlights and any other day it could have been at least 3,

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
The performance was ok on Sat not great but not poor either. If things were going as we would all like them to, we would forgive a mixed performance 1-1 draw at home to the likes of Partick. A few folk are getting a wee bit peeved by it as our home form, our form in general granted but especially our home form, has been dire for a long time now. Patricularly so in 2013.

Don't buy into the "Pat Fenlon's side would have lost that one" chat. Maybe they would have but from what I have seen so far, we have the same players, playing the same way with the same lack of confidence as they have been largely doing all along. That's coz Butcher or anyone else coming in, is not a magician and can't make poor unconfident players great in a matter of weeks.

I don't think there is a huge amount wrong shy of getting pace and creativity in (Fenlon's failure to do this was probably his ultimate downfall) but things are not great either. Butcher is a decent manager but he can't come in and change things over night. Perhaps once Harris is fit and up to speed and we maybe make a couple of signings in January who have time to bed in we will see a different style and hopefully better results but we may just have to accept that for the next three months or so we will have to put up with some dissappointing results and performances. A battling perfomance is as good as we'll get as we don't seem to have the players who will produce slick, confident display.

My issue is that we perhaps made the managerial change too late for this season. It was already going to be hard enough but had PF gone after the derby defeat in August a new man would have had a couple of weeks of the transfer window and a bit more time to make someting of this season.

Our season is far from over but with the form of ICT, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen that is probably three of 5 available top 6 places gone already. Motherwell are still in there but look like they may wobble. St Johnstone are within touching distance but can't afford to let them get much further ahead. Our best bet for top 6 is taking advantage of any Motherwell wobble or getting closer to St Johnstone. If Yogi doesn't fit in at ICT then there is a chance they could falter too if they lose players in January but even then, can't see them falling out of the top half this season.

I have to disagree, we are getting the ball forward at the earliest opportunity, we dont pass it around the defenders anymore letting the opposition get every man behind the ball. The ball is played forward into the channels or up to Collins quicker than i have seen us do it before.

Thats resulted in us winning more of the ball much further forward than before, and resulted in us winning throw ins and corners and creating more chances.

MyJo
09-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I have to disagree, we are getting the ball forward at the earliest opportunity, we dont pass it around the defenders anymore letting the opposition get every man behind the ball. The ball is played forward into the channels or up to Collins quicker than i have seen us do it before.

Thats resulted in us winning more of the ball much further forward than before, and resulted in us winning throw ins and corners and creating more chances.

:agree: a lot more pressure on the opposition throughout the match and the habit we have of sitting deep in our own half which caused us problems has gone, a lot more effort going into keeping the ball at the right end of the pitch and doing our battling there.

The problem on saturday was thier keeper pulled off a few excellent saves to deny us and Collins up front on his own was completely ineffectual.

Stewboy
09-12-2013, 05:13 PM
I would agree, biggest issue as mentioned above is we took to long to get the ball forward. Doing this is fine if you have a cutting edge so all we did was let teams re-group

At least this way we are creating changes. Short term ok

ancient hibee
09-12-2013, 05:38 PM
We had more of the ball in the opponents area than we did in any 4 matches under Fenlon.

Ronniekirk
09-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting we saved ourselves from a humpsing, the general consensus seems to be that a draw was a fair result but the performance was poor.
When we went behind I was resigned to thinking the best we could get was a draw as the mentality of the team seems to be that they loose confidence when they go a goal behind .Would we have lost the game under Fenlon. I have no idea but it's clear there is no quick fix . So let's see what we do in Transfer window and that should see another gradual improvement

calmac12000
13-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Tbh I thought the draw was a fair result on the day, thought Thistle looked the better football team, but as they say Rome wasn't built in a day and our re-building job will take at least to the end of the season.

Andy74
13-12-2013, 10:53 AM
When we went behind I was resigned to thinking the best we could get was a draw as the mentality of the team seems to be that they loose confidence when they go a goal behind .Would we have lost the game under Fenlon. I have no idea but it's clear there is no quick fix . So let's see what we do in Transfer window and that should see another gradual improvement

I think saying we would have lost the game under Fenlon is a bit daft.

We might have won easily, we might have drawn, we might have lost, who knows?

We beat Partick away the last time we played them, we came from behind against Killie and St Johnstone to win away from home and we came back from being behind to Dundee Utd.

This notion that we have a new found spirit or desire is a bit baffling. We may have lacked some confidence at times but there was plenty effort and spirit.