PDA

View Full Version : Dec 9th 1972

Biggie
09-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Thank you hibs......a memory to take to my grave....my dad and I shouting "hibees, hibees"......as we gained revenge against a bloody good Celtc team....
BTW, the start of a great 3 weeks also.......culminating in a decent away win at Tynie...
I thought this was how it would always be !...41 years !.....Jesus..

WindyMiller
09-12-2013, 08:09 AM
.................the Cup being paraded the following week at ER, with a performance to match.:aok:

brog
09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
As you say an incredible 23 days. Winning first cup for 70 years, love that number, scoring 8 the next week, returning to Parkhead for a draw, then a magnificent 3-2 game against Dons with possibly the finest headed goal, by Alan Gordon, I have ever seen. The finale of course a small victory on NY day over what used to be a big team!
Actually on morning of 1/1/73 we sat in Ritz Hotel reading the Daily Mail, as an English paper it was published that day. Their excellent lead sports journalist, John Fairgrieve, was unfortunately a Yam. He had been at ER on the Saturday & he waxed lyrical re Hibs football. His final words in his report were,
I fear for my team today. Never was there a better prophesy.

Bostonhibby
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Thank you hibs......a memory to take to my grave....my dad and I shouting "hibees, hibees"......as we gained revenge against a bloody good Celtc team....
BTW, the start of a great 3 weeks also.......culminating in a decent away win at Tynie...

:greengrin Me too, was at all the games and celebrations - wee picture attached of the scenes around ER. Not much health & safety or over policing in those days.:wink:

hhibs
09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
After the game and several renditions at Hampden of "Singing in the Rain"",I just about remember some party in the West end of Glasgow and waking up in a telephone box at 4am freezing ! The joys of youth !!:greengrin

Hibs07p
09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Terrific time. League cup winners, Stanton, O'rourke, and Dalgleish scoring a late consolation, which made it a long 10 minutes to the final whistle. 8-1 V Ayr, and a certain Tynecastle new year derby, can't remember the score.

GGTTH

eastterrace
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Terrific time. League cup winners, Stanton, O'rourke, and Dalgleish scoring a late consolation, which made it a long 10 minutes to the final whistle. 8-1 V Ayr, and a certain Tynecastle new year derby, can't remember the score.

GGTTH

yes things were ticking along nicely then brownlie broke his leg against east fife and alec edward got 8 week suspension and im afraid that finished us as we would have won the league if that never happened imo.

Stantons Angel
09-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Wonderful memories of this game and the next three weeks of sheer footballing bliss!

Supporters my age go on and on about the Tornadoes and it makes me sad that apart from Mowbrays team we have not had much true football to talk about.

Going through to Hampden that day was treacherous, i travelled with friends on Maude's bus to the game and by the time we reached the top of Easter Road some daft wee laddie had thrown a stone and broke the bus window. We just about froze to death by the time we got to Glasgow and were soaked to the skin.

We even missed the Kick off and the stadium was packed full when we arrived. We had to take the only place we could see the game from and stood there. When Stanton scored i just grabbed the guy next to me and started to hug him only for him to turn out to be a big bear of a Celtic supporter!!! He just smiled at me and said Good Goal!!

Edinburgh was amass of green and white and the celebrations continued for the next three weeks taking in the Ayr United game and New Years Day 1973..... need i say more?

sadtom
09-12-2013, 11:37 PM
As you say an incredible 23 days. Winning first cup for 70 years, love that number, scoring 8 the next week, returning to Parkhead for a draw, then a magnificent 3-2 game against Dons with possibly the finest headed goal, by Alan Gordon, I have ever seen. The finale of course a small victory on NY day over what used to be a big team!
Actually on morning of 1/1/73 we sat in Ritz Hotel reading the Daily Mail, as an English paper it was published that day. Their excellent lead sports journalist, John Fairgrieve, was unfortunately a Yam. He had been at ER on the Saturday & he waxed lyrical re Hibs football. His final words in his report were,
I fear for my team today. Never was there a better prophesy.

On my 7th birthday, was gutted my folks had already booked me into the graphic club kids xmas party when all I wanted to do was go to the game.
Real mixed emotions when I heard the score at the party. Delighted we'd won, pi$$ed off even more that I had to go to the party.

monktonharp
10-12-2013, 12:24 AM
well, ......I have a story, and mixed memories of that particular day when we won the League cup in 72'. my memory of the game, I was 18 yrs old and pished. we were fenced off next to Celtic fans, a section of them had a part of the "Rangers end" if I recall. there was a bit of trouble, goading, scrapping as some were in our part, if I remember? anyone confirm?. however, this big polis man decided to wade into our boys at half time and started arresting folk randomly(to my mind). I took an executive descision to run up behind him and plant my fit,right up his erse. that was not one of the most clever things that I've ever done in my life.I was immedietly arrested, as his buddy was right behind me!. I was dragged through the muck of the shale surrounding the ground, flung into a big polis van amongst an already arrested half dozen group o' Celtic fans. then, this big fat Celtic tube says: hey you, are you wan o' they Hibby bassas? am fae Garthamlock an' am gonna rip yer heid aff! my reply was, aye I'm one o' them, and I come fae Niddrie, so if yer gonnae dae it, dae it now you fat speccy Glesggy barsteward!. we were then separated by the polis, for an interlude!. Then, I met 2 other mates of mine, at Craigie Street polis station, we spent the evening there together, and had all been on the same supporters bus.:wink: one of my mates advised me to plead guilty, at Glasgow sherriff court on the Monday, as he managed to get down to see us in the cells after he got a £50 fine. I pleaded guilty, as charged. much to my chagrin, the Sherriff decided to remand me for 18 days background reports. I was married, and my wife expected our first son early January. I spent a marvellous 18 day holiday, all expenses paid by HMP Barlinnie, Riddrie, Glasgow.before being fined £50 at the said Sherriff court. I was given a great xmas pressie of 5 embassy tipped fags, an apple and an orange and a tube of signal toothpaste. we also watched a film in the Chapel at the BAR-L prison. good film it was too...Steptoe and son!. my wife mentioned on my release.......if you go to the derby game, we're finished and you'll never see the bairn! needless to say, I missed that particular game. my 41 year old son still canny believe I missed it for a silly wee argument lol

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Missed them all. Was on the West African coast then heading up to Avonmouth. Feels a life time away.

JimBHibees
10-12-2013, 01:33 PM
well, ......I have a story, and mixed memories of that particular day when we won the League cup in 72'. my memory of the game, I was 18 yrs old and pished. we were fenced off next to Celtic fans, a section of them had a part of the "Rangers end" if I recall. there was a bit of trouble, goading, scrapping as some were in our part, if I remember? anyone confirm?. however, this big polis man decided to wade into our boys at half time and started arresting folk randomly(to my mind). I took an executive descision to run up behind him and plant my fit,right up his erse. that was not one of the most clever things that I've ever done in my life.I was immedietly arrested, as his buddy was right behind me!. I was dragged through the muck of the shale surrounding the ground, flung into a big polis van amongst an already arrested half dozen group o' Celtic fans. then, this big fat Celtic tube says: hey you, are you wan o' they Hibby bassas? am fae Garthamlock an' am gonna rip yer heid aff! my reply was, aye I'm one o' them, and I come fae Niddrie, so if yer gonnae dae it, dae it now you fat speccy Glesggy barsteward!. we were then separated by the polis, for an interlude!. Then, I met 2 other mates of mine, at Craigie Street polis station, we spent the evening there together, and had all been on the same supporters bus.:wink: one of my mates advised me to plead guilty, at Glasgow sherriff court on the Monday, as he managed to get down to see us in the cells after he got a £50 fine. I pleaded guilty, as charged. much to my chagrin, the Sherriff decided to remand me for 18 days background reports. I was married, and my wife expected our first son early January. I spent a marvellous 18 day holiday, all expenses paid by HMP Barlinnie, Riddrie, Glasgow.before being fined £50 at the said Sherriff court. I was given a great xmas pressie of 5 embassy tipped fags, an apple and an orange and a tube of signal toothpaste. we also watched a film in the Chapel at the BAR-L prison. good film it was too...Steptoe and son!. my wife mentioned on my release.......if you go to the derby game, we're finished and you'll never see the bairn! needless to say, I missed that particular game. my 41 year old son still canny believe I missed it for a silly wee argument lol

What a brilliant story that is. Superb. :greengrin

My own memories as a 10 year old are going through with my old boy and elder brother by train got there about 2 hours or so before the game as my dad wanted to travel through early. Were down at the wall of the terracing nearest the Rangers end. Hibs went 2 up through marvelous goals by Paddy and Jimmy and can remember not being able to see much due to the fans spilling onto the pitch from the trouble behind the goal. My eldest brother was older and had travelled through with mates and was near the trouble and he was saying wee Celtic fans were climbing along the beams of the roof and peeing on the Hibs fans. :greengrin

Dalglish scored and very nervous 10 mins or so but we deservedly held on. Fantastic and we managed to get off the train and up the Waverley steps just as the team were going into the North British. Amazing day.

Hibs07p
10-12-2013, 02:17 PM
What a brilliant story that is. Superb. :greengrin

My own memories as a 10 year old are going through with my old boy and elder brother by train got there about 2 hours or so before the game as my dad wanted to travel through early. Were down at the wall of the terracing nearest the Rangers end. Hibs went 2 up through marvelous goals by Paddy and Jimmy and can remember not being able to see much due to the fans spilling onto the pitch from the trouble behind the goal. My eldest brother was older and had travelled through with mates and was near the trouble and he was saying wee Celtic fans were climbing along the beams of the roof and peeing on the Hibs fans. :greengrin

Dalglish scored and very nervous 10 mins or so but we deservedly held on. Fantastic and we managed to get off the train and up the Waverley steps just as the team were going into the North British. Amazing day.

The strange thing for me, was, our bus came along Princes Street and as the congestion was building up, nothing could get past. We bailed off the bus, and as we were crossing the road at one of the St Andrew Square junctions, Alex Edwards was in his car trying to turn right into Princes St, heading west, obviously going to Fife. Didn't seem strange at the time to 13 year old, but now, why didn't he stay for the celebrations?

GGTTH

heretoday
10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
For a short while there Hibs were the best footballing team in Britain.

We just didn't have the strength in depth that you need.

WindyMiller
10-12-2013, 06:10 PM
IIRC, from the start of the season, to the turn of the year, we'd scored an average of 4 goals per game.

gorgie greens
11-12-2013, 05:57 AM
as much as im enjoying the demise of the big team on the mega thread i feel this thread is got to be one of the best yet,great stories and a joy to read.GGTTH

brog
11-12-2013, 09:13 PM
IIRC, from the start of the season, to the turn of the year, we'd scored an average of 4 goals per game.

Pretty much the case. At full time on 1/1/73, Jimmy O had scored 32 goals, Alan Gordon 29 & Arthur Duncan 18. Appropriately Crops great goal was his 7th of the season & King Pat had 12! Quite incredible, IIRC Jimmy had 6 hat tricks by that time including back to back in Europe vs Sporting & Besa. Some team!

poolman
11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Thursday before the game I got rushed to hospital with appendicitis :-(

Ray_
11-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I spent the week leading up to the game in London and then Manchester, where I left early on the Saturday morning. I had planned to drop the suitcase off home in Leith, before making the trip to Glasgow. The train journey took hours and as it was approaching 2 o'clock, I hadn't recognised any of the multiple stops the train was making.

Resigned to missing the game, I couldn't believe it when the train pulled it to Glasgow at around 2:15, [I didn't know it was due to stop there] the case went straight in to left luggage and I made it in before kick off. I got back to Edinburgh just in time to see the team on the balcony of the North British, where I stood and cheered with the rest, with my suitcase stuck in-between my legs, I was one very happy 16 year old.

ozhibs
12-12-2013, 03:29 AM

This :agree:

Plus I thought we would be in Europe every season.

brog
12-12-2013, 09:32 AM
For a short while there Hibs were the best footballing team in Britain.

We just didn't have the strength in depth that you need.

France Football magazine ran a weekly league table of the best teams in Europe. It took into account, goals, away performances, style of play etc. After New Years Day we were rated as top team in Europe & I think remained in top 5 until about March.

Leithenhibby
12-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Fair to say, it was a few years ago but my memories never fade... Not yet anyway!. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
A little stat, both teams fielded all Scottish players, those were the days.

Leithenhibby
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Did they not also play, God Save The Queen before KO ;-)

hibee_nation
12-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Fair to say, it was a few years ago but my memories never fade... Not yet anyway!. :greengrin

We were in the North Stand too. Makes the yams main stand look no bad. Was glad of it though as it was raining pretty bad. HIBEES stamp stamp stamp :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
12-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Great story. :agree::greengrin

GORDONSMITH7
12-12-2013, 03:09 PM

Ha,ha Wullie. Quality. Up there with Zorro's experience of setting a Huns flag alight during a game at Hampden, which spread to the blokes Afro, banged up, the walk home from Glasgow to Magdalene and the Dunbar's juice lorry and all the juice on it, which was his mode of transport that day, getting nicked while he was banged up.

Beating the Tims, 8-1 against Ayr then a fortnight later 7 against the Gu.nts. T'was wonderful.

GGTTH

BIG G

andudare2
13-12-2013, 04:44 PM
well, ......I have a story, and mixed memories of that particular day when we won the League cup in 72'. my memory of the game, I was 18 yrs old and pished. we were fenced off next to Celtic fans, a section of them had a part of the "Rangers end" if I recall. there was a bit of trouble, goading, scrapping as some were in our part, if I remember? anyone confirm?. however, this big polis man decided to wade into our boys at half time and started arresting folk randomly(to my mind). I took an executive descision to run up behind him and plant my fit,right up his erse. that was not one of the most clever things that I've ever done in my life.I was immedietly arrested, as his buddy was right behind me!. I was dragged through the muck of the shale surrounding the ground, flung into a big polis van amongst an already arrested half dozen group o' Celtic fans. then, this big fat Celtic tube says: hey you, are you wan o' they Hibby bassas? am fae Garthamlock an' am gonna rip yer heid aff! my reply was, aye I'm one o' them, and I come fae Niddrie, so if yer gonnae dae it, dae it now you fat speccy Glesggy barsteward!. we were then separated by the polis, for an interlude!. Then, I met 2 other mates of mine, at Craigie Street polis station, we spent the evening there together, and had all been on the same supporters bus.:wink: one of my mates advised me to plead guilty, at Glasgow sherriff court on the Monday, as he managed to get down to see us in the cells after he got a £50 fine. I pleaded guilty, as charged. much to my chagrin, the Sherriff decided to remand me for 18 days background reports. I was married, and my wife expected our first son early January. I spent a marvellous 18 day holiday, all expenses paid by HMP Barlinnie, Riddrie, Glasgow.before being fined £50 at the said Sherriff court. I was given a great xmas pressie of 5 embassy tipped fags, an apple and an orange and a tube of signal toothpaste. we also watched a film in the Chapel at the BAR-L prison. good film it was too...Steptoe and son!. my wife mentioned on my release.......if you go to the derby game, we're finished and you'll never see the bairn! needless to say, I missed that particular game. my 41 year old son still canny believe I missed it for a silly wee argument lolwas £100 wullie,shower of bassa,s if you recal i had been knicked for swearing,charge read in part cursing&swearing.112 bodies in the jail that week end &only one lifted for throwing bottles,fer fek sake it was raining them hahahaha. dont know if you recall but the next year dundee beat them 1 0 in the final, but papers were full of a guy who wls lifted at game,same charge as me, turned oot the guy was deef&dumb,only in glesgaeeh? m8. so glad we have grew up.chortle,chortle.chortle. ggtth m8 mid stew was lifted at final for helping an auld guy up,well he was auld to us back then, stu ended up getting 3months in glenochil? think thats what he got anyway. perhaps u mind better?:flag:

andudare2
13-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Ha,ha Wullie. Quality. Up there with Zorro's experience of setting a Huns flag alight during a game at Hampden, which spread to the blokes Afro, banged up, the walk home from Glasgow to Magdalene and the Dunbar's juice lorry and all the juice on it, which was his mode of transport that day, getting nicked while he was banged up.

Beating the Tims, 8-1 against Ayr then a fortnight later 7 against the Gu.nts. T'was wonderful.

GGTTH

BIG GThat one was class.imshie wondering where z wiz,did not have heart to tell him
cant remember if that time was when the huns set fire to boot of bus,left us wae nae windaes etc.bolted when we steamed of bus,that many hampden games at that time&never sober so may be wrong bout this:flag:.

Alfred E Newman
13-12-2013, 05:15 PM

GGTTH

BIG G

There was a fantastic 3-2 win against Aberdeen in front of over 20000 as well.