PDA

View Full Version : Match - Spot Fixing - Akpo Sodje

Minder
08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Todays Sun. Not good, I know this is a Sun scoop - but "Mazher" usually has the goods before going to print, especially when co-ordinated arrests take place. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

BigKev
08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Is it not his brother that's involved?

Minder
08-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Unfortunately no. All 3 brothers.

"Akpo...promised he would deliver a yellow card"

Simon70
08-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Yes, first post is libelous.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I remember watching Sky one day, it could have been soccer saturday or a programme like that, and there was an interview with a player who admitted they would get the ball from the kick off and boot it straight out for a throw.

He said that they used to bet on it, they bet on when the first throw in would happen. I also seem to think Matt Le Tissier agreed with this, and said he used to do this? The player was a Southampton player, Scandinavian if i remember correctly, can't remember the name?

I wonder if Le Tiss will be interviewed about this, is this not the same thing? :confused:

Minder
08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Read the article in full.

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 02:40 PM

its not libel if you are reporting on the content of a newspaper report. The article itself might be libel but nothing wrong with minder's post.

truehibernian
08-12-2013, 02:43 PM

No it's not - it's merely commenting on a media story now out in the public domain. The story itself may be libelous, not the post about the article - that's merely highlighting it's airing in public.

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I remember watching Sky one day, it could have been soccer saturday or a programme like that, and there was an interview with a player who admitted they would get the ball from the kick off and boot it straight out for a throw.

He said that they used to bet on it, they bet on when the first throw in would happen. I also seem to think Matt Le Tissier agreed with this, and said he used to do this? The player was a Southampton player, Scandinavian if i remember correctly, can't remember the name?

I wonder if Le Tiss will be interviewed about this, is this not the same thing? :confused:

I remember an interview from le tiss describing the situation. All he had to do was boot it out from kick off and he booted it only for the "pass" to be inch perfect and one of their attackers collected the ball. From what I remember Le Tiss said it was only a one time thing.

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 02:45 PM
No it's not - it's merely commenting on a media story now out in the public domain. The story itself may be libelous, not the post about the article - that's merely highlighting it's airing in public.

Got there first :na na:

cabbageandribs1875
08-12-2013, 02:49 PM
is it not his brother sam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25288657

Sam Sodje was filmed by the Sun on Sunday describing how he punched an opponent in a League One game to get a red card in exchange for £70,000.
He also said he arranged for another player to be paid £30,000 for getting a yellow card in a Championship match.

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Sam Sodje was filmed by the Sun on Sunday describing how he punched an opponent in a League One game to get a red card in exchange for £70,000.
He also said he arranged for another player to be paid £30,000 for getting a yellow card in a Championship match.

It's in that same article.

bbc:

And it reported that Mr Sodje's brother Akpo, a striker at Tranmere Rovers, had said he would be prepared to be paid to be booked.Oldham Athletic said in a statement: "Oldham Athletic Football Club has been made aware of the incident and allegation surrounding one of its players, Cristian Montano. The club will commence an immediate internal investigation to establish all the relevant facts of the case.

Barney McGrew
08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
is it not his brother Sam

The BBC are reporting that Akpo was possibly involved too.

It seems unlikely he'd have been doing it when he was with us, he only got booked once in his entire time with us.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I remember an interview from le tiss describing the situation. All he had to do was boot it out from kick off and he booted it only for the "pass" to be inch perfect and one of their attackers collected the ball. From what I remember Le Tiss said it was only a one time thing.

The Scandinavian player did say it was something they did regularly, perhaps Le Tiss is covering his erse?

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
A better source. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2171781/Claus-Lundekvam-Premier-League-betting-fraud-claim.html

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
The Scandinavian player did say it was something they did regularly, perhaps Le Tiss is covering his erse?

yeh that is very possible. It wouldn't help his pundit career much if he admitted to getting away with it regularly.

cabbageandribs1875
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
It's in that same article.

bbc:

The BBC are reporting that Akpo was possibly involved too.

It seems unlikely he'd have been doing it when he was with us, he only got booked once in his entire time with us.

i re-read that article 3 times and no mention of his brother...until i just refreshed the bbc page...and it's appeared now :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM

70,000 grand just to punch someone,i could do that,george street anyone for a square go and we wil go halfers

Hibercelona
08-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I wonder how much our own bet on failed throw ins! :grr:

Frazerbob
08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Regarding the throw-in scam, what happens if you lose the toss and the other team take centre?

WestEndHibee
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Regarding the throw-in scam, what happens if you lose the toss and the other team take centre?

I think the bet was for a "throw-in in the first minute or something" so you would probably see a marked difference in the effort of the players involved for that first minute as they try to get the ball. Or if you're playing against Hibs, the opposition would oblige with a kick off routine that gets the desired outcome :greengrin.

Edit: just read Blackpool's link

He alleged, in an interview in his native Norway, that he used club staff to put big bets on incidents in games — like who would win the first throw-in — then ensured they happened after conspiring with opposition captains.

J-C
09-12-2013, 01:01 AM

That was Matt Le Tissier, was in his book when he retired

Nailrod
09-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Hmm... Makes you wonder how much our strikers might be pocketing for turning up week after week and never scoring any goals... :hmmm:

silverhibee
09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
DJ Campbell now been arrested for match fixing.

Tip of the iceberg.

Barney McGrew
09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Tip of the iceberg.

:agree:

crewetollhibee
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Tip of the iceberg.

Whats Nicky supposed to have done ?

erin-go-bragh87
09-12-2013, 12:18 PM
It's amazing how many folk jumped to correct the op without actually reading the article. Hibs.net at its best!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Wonder when it will come out that Craig Thomson has been chucking big bucks on red and yellow cards for Hibs players for the past few years...

Bleeds green
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem in this? As long as It doesn't affect the game I couldn't give two ****s, if I was in the same position and offered 70k to get booked there's a very strong possibility I'd have done it

CropleyWasGod
09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem in this? As long as It doesn't affect the game I couldn't give two ****s, if I was in the same position and offered 70k to get booked there's a very strong possibility I'd have done it

But it does affect the game.

1. Player 1 gets a yellow. His subsequent play is therefore affected by the idea that he is one silly tackle away from a red card.

2. Player 2 gets lamped and is therefore wary of the next hard tackle coming in.

3. Coach of Player 1 might decide to hook him in case he gets the second yellow.

4. Coach of Player 2 might have to hook him.

Peevemor
09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
As far as I'm aware, bookies have stopped doing speads on the time of the first thrown-in, corner, etc. immediately after kick-off (IIRC it was after an incident involving Robbie Fowler). Now they wait until a few minutes have been played and the players lose track of time (a few seconds can make a huge difference to the amount lost or won).

I had a mate who was into gambling, particularly spread betting, in a big way. Watching matches with him became unbearable because, instead of simply enjoying the football, he'd be jumping up and down about the number of corners, the total of the scorers' shirt numbers, etc.). I remember watching the England v Argentina WC match (the Beckham petulant kick game). He was on the phone to the bookies every five minutes - at one point he was about £800 down though he finished about £300 up (it was the scorers' shirt numbers that got him out the keech). Apart from being worried about a good pal, it destroyed all pleasure in watching matches with him.

CyberSauzee
09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

That was Matt Le Tissier, was in his book when he retired

Claus Lundekvam is the Norwegian you refer to.

The market as you've correctly pointed out was the time of the first throw (in seconds). IIRC IG offered this market for about a season and a half at the end of the 90s (Sporting Index may have done, can't remember). There was also a stop/loss on it, so the maximum make up was something like 90 seconds. Opening spread would be something like 45-50. So a reasonable punt of say £300 per second and the ball out after 10 secs would net £10.5k.

As for Le Tiss, it never happened - the dates given in his book didn't match up with the game it was supposed to have happened in. I think it was when Soton played Wimbledon in 1995, the game that aroused suspicion was a game involving West Ham at old Trafford 2/3 years later. This market was only available on live matches and I don't think the Soton game was live, and that market didn't exist back when Le Tiss claimed.

The spread firms investigated the West Ham match but they found nothing wrong. I was in regular contact with some of the senior people in IG 10 years ago and they said it just didn't happen. Remember they are regulated so if there was any impropriety we would find out.

Leishy1995
09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Sodje arrested now

S4uzee
09-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Sodje arrested now
Probably for playing with 3 legs

Leishy1995
09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Probably for playing with 3 legs

It's tucked in his sock

itslegaltender
09-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I wonder how much our own bet on failed throw ins! :grr:

last season at kick off, we kicked the ball out more often than not...

yekimevol
09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Explains his performances at ER :P

DrewDogg1875
09-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Tip of the iceberg.

Tip of the iceberg.

Couldn't agree with the last part more. I'm of the belief that if journos et al are doing their jobs correctly, there is MUCH more to be unearthed here - in both the EPL & SPL. Might also go some way toward explaining why brothers Sodje were relative 'journeymen' in their careers. It really is about time we (particularly English media) stopped pointing the finger of suspicion almost exclusively at Italian football & started looking a bit closer to home. Fwiw, Akpo's not the worst player we've had, but in considering the allegations made (and assuming guilt), it's disappointing that we're associated with him in recent memory... p.s. I'm not all suggesting the club are implicated, it's just a shame that someone with questionable morals & integrity is a former player of ours.

The above assumes guilt though, so probably wise for me/us to await further news, investigation & insight...

CyberSauzee
09-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Couldn't agree with the last part more. I'm of the belief that if journos et al are doing their jobs correctly, there is MUCH more to be unearthed here - in both the EPL & SPL. Might also go some way toward explaining why brothers Sodje were relative 'journeymen' in their careers. It really is about time we (particularly English media) stopped pointing the finger of suspicion almost exclusively at Italian football & started looking a bit closer to home. Fwiw, Akpo's not the worst player we've had, but in considering the allegations made (and assuming guilt), it's disappointing that we're associated with him in recent memory... p.s. I'm not all suggesting the club are implicated, it's just a shame that someone with questionable morals & integrity is a former player of ours.

The above assumes guilt though, so probably wise for me/us to await further news, investigation & insight...

Remember that all the bookmakers and betting exchanges have all signed MoU with the footballing bodies, so if there's any suspicious betting patterns in a UK game the authorities will be notified (not that they will necessarily do anything).

As an example, Paddy Power are the only firm offering red cards for tonight's FA cup game between Wrexham and Oxford. If they started to take lumpy 3 figure bets on say, a Wrexham player red card (9/1), they would soon know something was amiss.

What we have here are massive overseas 'syndicates' betting huge sums with Asian bookmakers on a fixed outcome. If it's a spot fixing market they'll be no indication the result was fixed.

mjhibby
09-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Was thinking the same myself.to me it's just the bookies crying into their beer at having been fleeced.i don't buy this affecting the game and if it was ok for Letiss to do roughly the same thing with kicking the ball out then getting booked at a certain time seems no different to me.forwards get booked mostly for ill timed challenges all the time.i thought the same about the three cricketers who were banned for years for bowling no balls.it didn't affect the game so why all the fuss.a lot of fuss over nothing IMHO.

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-12-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't agree with that in the slightest!! Why should overpaid footballers be making more money by match fixing whilst us-the mugs that pay their inflated wages-sit in the stand watching them pissing about picking up bookings and deliberately kicking the ball out of play! If I wanted to watch players kicking for touch then I'd go to Murrayfield, not a game of football! And 70k wasn't for a yellow, it was for a red! How can anyone say getting a red card doesn't affect the game?! Sodje's brother was LAUGHING in that interview talking about how he had spent the whole game trying to get a red card but the ref wasn't penalising his pish tackles-so he eventually punched the guy! I'd be fuming if I'd paid money to go and watch Hibs and one of our players was deliberately trying to put us down to 10 men for his own greed. I'm sure the guy that got punched by Sodje wasn't best pleased either

weecounty hibby
09-12-2013, 11:18 PM

Sorry but i think that is a terrible statement. You are condoning cheating and fraud in the one sentence. Call me old fashioned but i prefer my sporting "stars" to try to win not to get booked or sent off. If i thought that someone in a team i was playing for was at this i would punch his lights out. The thought that i could have bust a gut trying to win when some ****bag has agreed to take a red card for cash would really get me wound up. It is also illegal and they should all do serious time if found guilty

Jonnyboy
09-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Sorry but i think that is a terrible statement. You are condoning cheating and fraud in the one sentence. Call me old fashioned but i prefer my sporting "stars" to try to win not to get booked or sent off. If i thought that someone in a team i was playing for was at this i would punch his lights out. The thought that i could have bust a gut trying to win when some ****bag has agreed to take a red card for cash would really get me wound up. It is also illegal and they should all do serious time if found guilty

This. How anyone could think it's ok for one of their team's players to engineer a red card is beyond me. Shows a total and utter disregard for both the club and its supporters

hibbybob
10-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Tip of the iceberg.

DJ Campbell has denied match fixing allegations & hopes to be allowed to play in Blackburns 2-2 draw with Millwall next weekend

wookie70
10-12-2013, 01:50 PM
If any of the allegations are proved then I would expect lifetime bans. Every action that involves these bets changes a game. The cricketers were essentially giving a run and a free hit away every time they bowled a no ball. Sportsmen have to be clean or the game is a bogey and punishment should be very harsh imo.

Eyrie
10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
DJ Campbell has denied match fixing allegations & hopes to be allowed to play in Blackburns 2-2 draw with Millwall next weekend

Had to read that twice :top marks

lapsedhibee
10-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Remember Jackie McNamara when he played for Falkirk got sent off about this time of year for inexplicably lashing out with his boot at an opponent? The suggestion on here was that he might have wanted to engineer Christmas off, but who knows? :dunno:

Jonnyboy
10-12-2013, 09:31 PM

:greengrin :top marks

CyberSauzee
13-12-2013, 05:28 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9071813/

3 Hayes players suspended for betting.