PDA

View Full Version : Callum Booth

Billychaotic182
07-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Just read this today

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/booth-hopes-terry-will-have-a-butcher-s-at-him-1-3224085

Anyone else think he might still have a place in our team next season? When he 1st broke through I thought he was magic. But is his so called off the field antics cost him. I'd take him back

Winston Ingram
07-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Just read this today

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/booth-hopes-terry-will-have-a-butcher-s-at-him-1-3224085

Anyone else think he might still have a place in our team next season? When he 1st broke through I thought he was magic. But is his so called off the field antics cost him. I'd take him back

:agree:

.Sean.
07-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Just read this today

Here we go again. What 'antics'?

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2013, 07:12 PM
oh dear

Ronniekirk
07-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Just read this today

Let's see how he plays against us in cup Thought he may be a scoring midfielder but not sure where he plays for faith He cost us goals at full back But if he had issues big tell won't go near hip

Billychaotic182
07-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I'd also like to add that I like booth and would like too see him back

Stuarty27
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Put it this way anyone would be better than Ryan McGivern

Gettin' Auld
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Let's see how he plays against us in cup Thought he may be a scoring midfielder but not sure where he plays for faith He cost us goals at full back But if he had issues big tell won't go near hip

I'm pretty sure that Hibs would have a clause in his loan deal to make sure that didn't happen.

Emerald
07-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Booth was/is a good young footballer who I thought would be the next star. No idea really what has went wrong but he has talent and I would rather us try to nurture it than someone else. Hope he gets his chance again and takes it.

JimBHibees
07-12-2013, 07:24 PM

I think Ryan is struggling at the moment maybe to do with an injury however to me he is about 10 times better than Booth.

whiskyhibby
07-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Pipe down, it was well documented by many supporters on here he liked a pint or 12, I'll assume that's what he's referring to.

Before I too become a 'clueless fanny', I would like to make clear I have no personal knowledge of Callum Booth's drinking habits and I am merely saying what I have heard from others.

Not great to 'quote others'

Mr White
07-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Even kevin mchattie?

Bronson
07-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Not great to 'quote others'

Is that a bad thing? Just sharing what I've heard from people seeing as I personally know nothing about the guy's social life.

Gus Fring
07-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hibs would have a clause in his loan deal to make sure that didn't happen.

:agree: Butcher confirmed he won't play against us.

Hiber-nation
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM

You can't make stuff like this up.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2013, 07:55 PM
If he wasn't on a contract with us would anyone be talking about him? Is he the best player at Raith? Is he getting player of the month awards in the championship? Man of the Match awards? Have any SPFL clubs with smaller budgets than ours approached us to take this obviously unwanted player from us?

If the answer to all the above is NO (and it is) why do people on here continually tout him for our defence?

Northernhibee
07-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Good to see you supporting the team. Nice one.

silverhibee
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Is that a bad thing? Just sharing what I've heard from people seeing as I personally know nothing about the guy's social life.

Do players drink pints nowadays.

Gus Fring
07-12-2013, 08:13 PM
If he wasn't on a contract with us would anyone be talking about him? Is he the best player at Raith? Is he getting player of the month awards in the championship? Man of the Match awards? Have any SPFL clubs with smaller budgets than ours approached us to take this obviously unwanted player from us?

If the answer to all the above is NO (and it is) why do people on here continually tout him for our defence?

He's playing quite well at Raith from what I've heard. I don't know if he's winning awards but that doesn't mean he won't be good for us when he comes back. He showed at least some promise when he started playing for us.

Stax
07-12-2013, 08:42 PM
What off field antics? Another hibs.net FACT. Great young prospect. Hope his spell at raith stands him in good stead and he comes back a better young player. One of the best youngsters to come through our ranks in recent times and unlucky with the managerial changes IMO.

Dibben
07-12-2013, 08:50 PM
I would like to see him given a chance again at Hibs. I thought he was excellent when he first broke through.

erin go bragh
07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I would like to see him given a chance again at Hibs. I thought he was excellent when he first broke through.

This . Thought he looked class going forward when he first broke into the first team .

Ggtth

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Think he suffered from breaking through at s time when we really needed a consistent first pick for that area and so he was fairly heavily criticised for mistakes, rather than looked at as potentially a decent find.

dirtydirk
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
A guy who liked a game of pool with his mates while drinking diet coke. I know that because I use to work in the pub he would come in to. Before anyone gossips you'll never meet a quieter guy. All these rumours are total nonsense

hfc rd
08-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I hope he does get a chance under Butcher. Don't know what it was that Pat didn't rate about him, but I think he can become a very good player for us, just like when he first broke through into the 1st team.

Teapot
08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I've seen him play 4 or 5 times this year playing for Raith Rovers and he's looked good every time. Going forward he's very good, got a good few assists this year I think. He gets caught out quite a bit defensively though and if he is going to make the jump has to improve in this area.

He deserves a chance to challenge McGivern though.

AK86
08-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I hope he does get a chance under Butcher. Don't know what it was that Pat didn't rate about him, but I think he can become a very good player for us, just like when he first broke through into the 1st team.
He dared to cross the half way line.

i liked Booth but he was never a defender. Does he play defence at RR?

GreenOnions
08-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Calum Booth looked to me like a real football player when he broke into the team. Good first touch, could pass a ball, bit of pace and liked to get forward.

He did make defensive mistakes but I am still mystified by the severity of his treatment and demotion by Calderwood and Fenlon.

I have always thought he has a.chance of making it and I would love Hibs to give hime another opportunity. Few young players are condemned and punted as quickly as was Calum Booth.

brog
08-12-2013, 10:36 AM
He would imo be a far better option thab Lewis in the wide left role.

hibby rae
08-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I'd say he broke into the team at an unfortunate time, we were pretty much getting beat every week. Young players, more than most, will struggle in that environment. I think we can look to the Yams as an enjoyable example of that!

O'Rourke3
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Presumably we are still paying wages so where's the harm in TB bringing him back and having a look. Not costing us any more. To me he looked good when he arrived and suffered more from being surround by p**h than looking like he was constantly out on it.

Dibben
08-12-2013, 12:17 PM
He would imo be a far better option thab Lewis in the wide left role.

This. Definitely worth a shout!

Can we recall him in January?

Dunbar Hibee
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Off field antics haha. Always makes me laugh reading that on here. CB is as quiet as they come.

3pm
08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
He must be worth a punt on the left of midfield.

fife hfc
08-12-2013, 12:44 PM
As said previously he was unfortunate to come into a team struggling and then when dropped and criticised it really hit his confidence. I think being young it really knocked his confidence and he found it hard to recover. to me he would be a good option for wide left of midfield as he is more natural than lewis and I always thought he had a good delivery into the box. I would not write him off just yet and hopefully terry can get him to produce the ability he undoubtedly have for us.

ALF TUPPER
08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Almost forgot about Callum. Yeah give the lad chance. :agree:

Squealing pig
08-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Id take him back tomorrow. Great wee player.

Amit
08-12-2013, 08:57 PM
He must be worth a punt on the left of midfield.

Agreed. Don't have many wide players. Think he could do a job for us there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TheFamous1875
08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I think Terry would be chuffed to have a player like him in the squad. One thing I should point out though, our ideal 'homegrown' left hand side of Booth and Harris would have to be handled very carefully, as they both like to get forward, and would be exposed time and time again if there wasn't someone in centre midfield (Stevenson?) to cover for them, the way he does with McGivern getting forward.

I think it would be good for McGivern, to have some competition for his place, he may need to step up a gear if he feels it's in jeopardy.

So it COULD be done, but it'd have to be done with this in mind, as it could leave both of them open to the mercy of the blood baying crowd we seem to accumulate when things go wrong. That's the last thing young players need!

GGTTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hibbymick
08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
I would like to see us getting some players in with a bit pace about them.

Eyrie
08-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Rather than reminisce about his potential, does anyone know how well he is playing for Raith Rovers in Division One and if his form is good enough for a top six SPL side?

Viva_Palmeiras
08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
You can't make stuff like this up.

Oh yes you can! (Sorry not long back from the Hibs Kids' Panto).

Folks do ...
"We'd be better off with...
Rolf Harris
Wendy Craig
Joan Collins
Kenneth Williams
Griff Rhys-Jones / bag of Tudor Crisps
Pamela Stevenson
Jodi Forster ;)
Joe 'bananas' Hanlon (he's deid!)
Arthur Thompson (he's deid!)
David Hasslehoff
..."

Deek01
08-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I spoke with a Raith player recently and he raved about how good Callum Booth is. He mentioned that a lot of Raith's goals have came late on through Booths stamina and willingness to get forward to put a good quality cross in the box.

basehibby
09-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I thought he looked a great prospect - the time on loan will have done him good - getting regular games and building up experience - certainly hope he gets a crack at the whip under Butcher at some point.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2013, 02:04 AM

i liked Booth but he was never a defender. Does he play defence at RR?Needless dig at Fenlon, Booth was poor for us before going out on loan, Pat made the correct decision.

Nailrod
09-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Needless dig at Fenlon, Booth was poor for us before going out on loan, Pat made the correct decision.If Pat had made the correct decision he wouldn't have been around to send Booth out on loan.

Stonewall
09-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Think he suffered from breaking through at s time when we really needed a consistent first pick for that area and so he was fairly heavily criticised for mistakes, rather than looked at as potentially a decent find.

It's the Hibernian way.

crieffhibee
10-12-2013, 01:17 AM
i know a lad same age as me who played for hibs with callum for a few years not gonna name him but he likes a good drink and got binned but he was always out with booth, infact he brought booth up to perth a few times

neilmartinrocks
10-12-2013, 01:37 AM
i know a lad same age as me who played for hibs with callum for a few years not gonna name him but he likes a good drink and got binned but he was always out with booth, infact he brought booth up to perth a few times

Seen him out in Perth a few times never seen him drinking though? Unless he was spiking his coke with something.
No too shaby at the pool table either. Used to come through with my mates laddie who was signed up with Hibs at the time.

Jack Ferrigan
10-12-2013, 06:34 AM
I think Callum should be recalled in January there will be a tough run in with a good possibility of a cup run. We need a stronger pool to see us through this period. Callum is a proven player who's talent wasn't fully appreciated by PF. Get him back, a good young player who is passionate about Hibs.

Centre Hawf
10-12-2013, 07:01 AM
The lads confidence was shattered around the time he was dropped. Obviously he was dropped for a reason but i feel he was never man managed by Fenlon properly. The lad had and hopefully still posses the talent to make it in the SPFL, he was the one shining light those 6 months we fought relegation.

As much as i love wee Lewis if Booth was to come in and try out Left Mid id be happy and support that. Go on Terry give the boy a chance.

spike220
10-12-2013, 07:16 AM
The lads confidence was shattered around the time he was dropped. Obviously he was dropped for a reason but i feel he was never man managed by Fenlon properly. The lad had and hopefully still posses the talent to make it in the SPFL, he was the one shining light those 6 months we fought relegation.

As much as i love wee Lewis if Booth was to come in and try out Left Mid id be happy and support that. Go on Terry give the boy a chance.
Yes I was well impressed with Booth, has a bit of pace.

hibby rae
10-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Off field antics haha. Always makes me laugh reading that on here. CB is as quiet as they come.

There's the problem! He needs to take a leaf out of GOC's and Deek's book! We could maybe start him off with a twitter account and let him push on from there.

GreenOnions
10-12-2013, 08:43 AM
There's the problem! He needs to take a leaf out of GOC's and Deek's book! We could maybe start him off with a twitter account and let him push on from there.

:greengrin

followed by a blanket ban from all local pool halls and milk bars

--------
10-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Yes, I'd say it is.

I did that myself about a year and a half ago, and got a PM stating clearly that the rumours I had listened to and believed weren't true. On reflection, I agreed with the guy who PM'd me that listening to and repeating rumours is simply gossiping, and that the rumours weren't true. So I withdrew my comments and apologised.

There were lots of rumours going around at the time Callum was injured first time out. He seems to be getting on perfectly well at Raith, though he has been a bit in and out of the team with injuries, and he's had a few cards including a red this season. But he's a defender, and that sort of thing happens.

Booth looked a very talented player when he first played for us, and like others I can't fathom why neither Calderwood nor Fenlon gave him even the briefest of opportunities in the first team. He was put out on loan and seems to have been entirely forgotten about.

IIRV, Callum has a good first touch, he has pace, he likes to go forward, and he's still registered as a Hibs player. Of course Butcher's going to assess him. I hope he decides to give the lad a second chance at ER - we've lost far too many young players from the U-21s over the past few years, and too many of them originally seen as genuine prospects.

scoopyboy
10-12-2013, 09:23 AM
I think Callum should be recalled in January there will be a tough run in with a good possibility of a cup run. We need a stronger pool to see us through this period. Callum is a proven player who's talent wasn't fully appreciated by PF. Get him back, a good young player who is passionate about Hibs.

One year loan, recall in January not an option IIRC.

If Raith agreed to it then maybe but can't see that as they're doing well and CB is one of their main players.

Still in the Scottish (hopefully short term) and in the Challenge Cup Final against the cream buns.

Next season I suspect.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Would certainly like to see Booth given a shot at left mid. When he was in the first team his willingness to get forward was refreshing, he had a bit of pace and could pick a decent pass. As everybody knows he was let down a bit by his defending though.

McGivern isnt too bad at LB but seems to have lost a bit of form recently, he does try to get up the park though and for me will get his form back and when he does will be well worth having in the team.

Oh for a David Murphy. Brilliant going forward and a more than decent defender.

--------
10-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Would certainly like to see Booth given a shot at left mid. When he was in the first team his willingness to get forward was refreshing, he had a bit of pace and could pick a decent pass. As everybody knows he was let down a bit by his defending though.

McGivern isnt too bad at LB but seems to have lost a bit of form recently, he does try to get up the park though and for me will get his form back and when he does will be well worth having in the team.

There was a suggestion at the weekend that Ryan's carrying a wee injury right now.

I would imagine that Butcher will want to see all the players who're out on loan, to assess them for himself.

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Was it not against Killie that James Dayton tore him apart?

Id like to see him come back into the team, I remember at the time he broke through Levein saying he saw him as a future left midfielder for Scotland, so there was clearly the potential there. Also, the lack of proper, natural width in our team is a huge problem and Id be happy to see Booth given another go

--------
10-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Was it not against Killie that James Dayton tore him apart?

Id like to see him come back into the team, I remember at the time he broke through Levein saying he saw him as a future left midfielder for Scotland, so there was clearly the potential there. Also, the lack of proper, natural width in our team is a huge problem and Id be happy to see Booth given another go

Not sure I'd take anyone on the recommendation of that turnip. But he would add pace and width to the team.

And he wouldn't cost us a signing fee.

Hibee87
10-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I have said this on many threads about booth but can anyone answer me this - What did booth do that was so good?

No disrepect to the laddie but i just dont see what others seen:

He couldnt tackle, had bad positional sense, couldnt header a ball, couldnt beat a man, had no pace, not great at passing......apart from one peach of a goal he never impressed me.

imo he simply aint good enough at lb or lm.

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2013, 11:56 AM
I have said this on many threads about booth but can anyone answer me this - What did booth do that was so good?

He couldnt tackle, had bad positional sense, couldnt header a ball, couldnt beat a man, had no pace, not great at passing......apart from one peach of a goal he never impressed me.

:agree: Memories of performances always seem greater than they actually were, happens all the time on here.

Hibee87
10-12-2013, 11:59 AM
:agree: Memories of performances always seem greater than they actually were, happens all the time on here.

:agree: Kujabi was classed as a great player on here by some. I rest my case!

southsider
10-12-2013, 11:59 AM

i liked Booth but he was never a defender. Does he play defence at RR?

Good full-backs or what are now wing-backs do more attacking than defending and push right on on the opposition so that they lie deep to combat our players. Just look at Everton against Man Utd and Arsenal.

The_Horde
10-12-2013, 12:18 PM

:agree: People are clouding their memories because they want him to be the answer, He's not.

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2013, 12:55 PM

IIRC he came into the team at a young age, and at a point where it was starting to go down the toilet under Calderwood. I agree that he wasnt good, but people were raving about him at the time and given that hes still our player, Ive no problem with him being given a chance under a new manager. It may turn out he isnt good enough, but we may find that all these loan deals have helped him develop. Id also argue your description of him could be applied to quite a few players in the current squad, but they will all no doubt get the opportunity to show they can offer more to the team!

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2013, 05:56 PM

His first few games he was very good in my opinion, especially the way he got forward. He seemed to go past players as if they were not there, and delivered some great balls into the box and even had a few strikes on goal.

He then seemed to go backwards at an incredible rate, after making a couple of really costly errors. I'm happy he's gone on loan, and hoping he can regain his confidence and come back somewhere near the player that i first saw.

If not then he will leave, but while he's our player i'd hope he can give his all and try and get back into our team.

brog
10-12-2013, 07:11 PM

We must have been watching different games. In his first season I saw him do all the things you say he couldn't do, & he did them from LB, I'm not sure he ever started a game in midfield. His biggest problem was that as a young player in a crap team he had more creativity & took on more responsibility than almost any other player. We expected every other player to lump it down the park, we looked to Callum at the age of 20 to beat men & give us a wide attacking option. His defensive errors came not from being out of position or being weak in the tackle but from losing the ball when trying to play it out of defence. Confidence is a major part of any sport, Callum, understandably lost his. Hopefully he will have rediscovered his mojo while on loan & at the age of 22 I think he gives us more options as a wide left player than I saw Lewis provide on Saturday.