PDA

View Full Version : My eyes are bleeding

JIm
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM
That was ****ing horrendous. CH-Hoof, GK-Hoof, up to Collins/channel and we **** all comes of it.

Butchers got a hell of a job on his hands, I hope this current pattern/style changes as he re-shapes the squad. I can't deal with watching guff like that any longer.

Oh and Tudor Jones? Really?

SaulGoodman
07-12-2013, 04:26 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Annie-screaming-community.gif.pagespeed.ce.mx_OYFQR3E.gif

JIm
07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Annie-screaming-community.gif.pagespeed.ce.mx_OYFQR3E.gif

:greengrin feel better after that!

SaulGoodman
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
:greengrin feel better after that!
Just let it all out :thumbsup:

dmc1875
07-12-2013, 04:30 PM
That was ****ing horrendous. CH-Hoof, GK-Hoof, up to Collins/channel and we **** all comes of it.

Butchers got a hell of a job on his hands, I hope this current pattern/style changes as he re-shapes the squad. I can't deal with watching guff like that any longer.

Why not look at the postives as well? Honestly do you think thats the worst we've played?

16 shots on goal, keeper has made some saves, loads of balls into the box, 6 shots on target and 11 corners.

Do you remember fenlon football? Things aren't going to change when you have the same bunch of players but I believe our football is more effective now we just need to get people on the end of things in the box..

The Green Goblin
07-12-2013, 04:32 PM
It was a scrap, but we fought to the very very end and didn`t give up and came out of it with a point.

JIm
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Why not look at the postives as well? Honestly do you think thats the worst we've played?

16 shots on goal, keeper has made some saves, loads of balls into the box, 6 shots on target and 11 corners.

Do you remember fenlon football? Things aren't going to change when you have the same bunch of players but I believe our football is more effective now we just need to get people on the end of things in the box..

Honest replies - think it was arguably as bad as performances under Fenlon. I'm amazed we had 16 shots on target. Our football is more effective? What football? It was channel, channel, channel all game. How many times did it stick? Who is in their that's going to create things? What happened to teams passing the ball quickly and getting players forward to support?

I appreciate Rome wasn't built in a day but what a hell of a job he has on his hands. The amount of people who left midway through the 2nd half sums up how bad that was today.

lucky
We battled to the end and got the point we deserved. Shame a lot of the support did not do that

bad_news_boab
It was a scrap, but we fought to the very very end and didn`t give up and came out of it with a point.

Although I don't want to be negative but im afraid ive got some BAD NEWS. I personally don't find a draw at home against Partick Thistle acceptable regardless of the amount of shots we had or scrapped.

The Green Goblin
07-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Although I don't want to be negative but im afraid ive got some BAD NEWS. I personally don't find a draw at home against Partick Thistle acceptable regardless of the amount of shots we had or scrapped.

You`ll not find me disagreeing. My post was just a statement of fact of how I saw the game. I wasn`t celebrating or anything. However, I am happier that at least we fought to the last moment and got the draw, rather than caved in and left with nothing.

Andy74
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Yep that was proper hoofball!!

Hibercelona
Honest replies - think it was arguably as bad as performances under Fenlon. I'm amazed we had 16 shots on target. Our football is more effective? What football? It was channel, channel, channel all game. How many times did it stick? Who is in their that's going to create things? What happened to teams passing the ball quickly and getting players forward to support?

I appreciate Rome wasn't built in a day but what a hell of a job he has on his hands. The amount of people who left midway through the 2nd half sums up how bad that was today.

I was saying this a few weeks back. If you stick a solo striker out wide on the channel, you'll get more balls into the box, but they'll be almost nobody there to finish anything off.

I'm glad they kept fighting until the very end and we managed to at least get something out of the game. But these tactics from Butcher are quite horrific if we're all being honest about it.

Dashing Bob S

Agreed, but delighted people are stating this, and TB knows it. I feel like, as a club, we've awoken from a long Calderwood-Fenlon coma, and started to get some ambition and expectation back.

It IS unacceptable for Hibs to draw with PTFC at ER. But it's even less acceptable to lose to them here, which would have happened a few weeks ago.

greenpaper55
07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Just back, i thought we moved the ball quicker but not always to our players ! the hoof is ok if you play it to a players chest instead of over his head. I think Butcher needs a good clear out with Stevenson the number one, he tries his heart out but he is nowhere near good enough . Tudor Jones-Tom Jones would be quicker but full marks for getting a head nock that we got out goal from !, the young lad when he came on looked like Riorden and has a good movement, pity he missed from Two foot out but it was at thigh height so not really his fault, last but not least i thought thistle got every break of the ball going even players not looking and facing their own goal hooked it up the park and found a man so jammy.

SaulGoodman
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM

http://i.imgur.com/7S0G9yF.jpg

Andy74
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Agreed, but delighted people are stating this, and TB knows it. I feel like, as a club, we've awoken from a long Calderwood-Fenlon coma, and started to get some ambition and expectation back.

It IS unacceptable for Hibs to draw with PTFC at ER. But it's even less acceptable to lose to them here, which would have happened a few weeks ago.

I don't think we'd have lost to them at home a few weeks ago.

dmc1875
07-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Channel channel channel is the style he is trying to adopt. We don't have the best bunch of players but honestly at least we are having shots on goal and looking a bit more dangerous compared to a few weeks ago. We need to build something and I have no idea why people left around 70 minutes.

It is more effective, as seen by the amount of chances created in comparison to a few weeks ago. We need WILLING RUNNERS and a decent left mid who can cut in and get on the end of crosses but if you honestly think thats as bad as we have been this season I would love to know what games you attended as Fenlon was the king at eye bleeding football. Sure we would pass the ball around with taiwo and thomson....then back to the defence...then keeper...then thomson...then defence. THAT was eye bleeding and totally ineffective. See last 20 minutes of the hearts game at ER.

mcfly
07-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I thought their goal was an excellent finish but for me it was not one of forsters better games.

Too many players still disappear and for me our captain is one of them.

Cairney for me was our best player and Collins works hard with very little service.

we need a creative midfielder and a striker who can score goals as we look at times like we'll never score....

Still the team never gave up so need to keep going till jan transfer window opens up.

Treadstone
The absolute folly of giving Pat Fenlon time after the Malmo game. A lame duck manager still bringing in dross when so obviously out of his depth.
The new management team will need more than three weeks.

dmc1875

Really? What makes you say that? We are hardly a decent side at home we've one two games at home all year.

Beefster
07-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Still finding it hard to accept that Fenlon left because he wasn't very good, huh?

Heisenberg
07-12-2013, 04:52 PM

We would've struggled for a shot on goal against them a couple of weeks ago.

just_joe
07-12-2013, 04:54 PM
bad news boab......

SaulGoodman
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Probably would've been a thrilling 0-0

Onion
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM

It was horrendous, but hey we're going to absolutely stuff the Yams in 4 weeks time and OTJ was MOTM today.... so that's ok :greengrin

JIm
07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Channel channel channel is the style he is trying to adopt. We don't have the best bunch of players but honestly at least we are having shots on goal and looking a bit more dangerous compared to a few weeks ago. We need to build something and I have no idea why people left around 70 minutes.

It is more effective, as seen by the amount of chances created in comparison to a few weeks ago. We need WILLING RUNNERS and a decent left mid who can cut in and get on the end of crosses but if you honestly think thats as bad as we have been this season I would love to know what games you attended as Fenlon was the king at eye bleeding football. Sure we would pass the ball around with taiwo and thomson....then back to the defence...then keeper...then thomson...then defence. THAT was eye bleeding and totally ineffective. See last 20 minutes of the hearts game at ER.

To answer your question every home game plus couple of away games. Stand by it, that was as bad as what I watched under that muppet Fenlon.

Dangerous is the last thing we looked today despite the stat of 16 shots.

Credit for going to the end. Ill give them that.

JIm
07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
It was horrendous, but hey we're going to absolutely stuff the Yams in 4 weeks time and OTJ was MOTM today.... so that's ok :greengrin

:thumbsup: Minus OTJ

Simkin911
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
The last time I left a match early was the semi final versus Hearts. Today, I was disappointed (new management team had raised my expectations unrealistically perhaps), bored and cold. I left at 73mins. Delighted to hear the equaliser on the radio but equally happy to beat the traffic and be in the warmth of the car.

If I didn't have a season ticket then I think I would pick and chose games regularly. Today I just felt I would have been better spending the time doing something else (and there are lots of things to do at this time of the year).

Fingers crossed I start to feel some entertainment value in due course..... Meanwhile, I'm be looking forward to the next match and will be hoping things start "to gel" on the pitch.

PeterboroHibee
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Butcher has had three games, in which we have won 1 and drawn 2, and still people are complaining? It will take time for there to be any significant changes in performances, but I think there are already visible positives - we are creating more chances, the team are fighting until the end and the defence have been better (1 goal conceded in 3 games).

People may also disagree with this but I dont think Butcher will ever have us playing particularly 'attractive' football, whenever I have seen his teams are attacking and effective, and will score goals, but I dont think its particularly pretty (depending on what your view of attractive is I suppose...).

R'Albin
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7S0G9yF.jpg

:top marks

Moon unit
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I thought their goal was an excellent finish but for me it was not one of forsters better games.

Too many players still disappear and for me our captain is one of them.

Cairney for me was our best player and Collins works hard with very little service.

we need a creative midfielder and a striker who can score goals as we look at times like we'll never score....

Still the team never gave up so need to keep going till jan transfer window opens up.

the goal started when Handling gave the ball away and gave up the ghost on it they then caught us on the break.

Pretty Boy
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
We could have scored about 6 on another day.

Their keeper was MOTM imo. Wasn't great but we created chances and the effort was good. Just need to sort the final ball.

bad_news_boab
07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Butcher has had three games, in which we have won 1 and drawn 2, and still people are complaining? It will take time for there to be any significant changes in performances, but I think there are already visible positives - we are creating more chances, the team are fighting until the end and the defence have been better (1 goal conceded in 3 games).

People may also disagree with this but I dont think Butcher will ever have us playing particularly 'attractive' football, whenever I have seen his teams are attacking and effective, and will score goals, but I dont think its particularly pretty (depending on what your view of attractive is I suppose...).

Never like replying to a thread but im afraid ive got some more BAD NEWS. Butcher had a good team at Inverness who scored goals on a regular basis. The BAD NEWS is we don't have the Mackays & Dorans etc. We don't have a goalscorer. Even though Collins scored I still think the guys a flop.

just_joe
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Never like replying to a thread but im afraid ive got some more BAD NEWS. Butcher had a good team at Inverness who scored goals on a regular basis. The BAD NEWS is we don't have the Mackays & Dorans etc. We don't have a goalscorer. Even though Collins scored I still think the guys a flop.

Bad News Boab....

Pete
07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
We were great at football under Fenlon until the ball had to go forward then it all stopped. It wasn't perfect today but it's a start. We are at least getting up the park and "channels" seems to work OK for the team sitting second.

The people booing players and leaving early because they are bored should maybe stick to their playstations or sky tv.

Stuarty27
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
That was truely awful to watch from start to finish,

We have some really really bad footballers in our side at the minute. Liam Craig as captain is another bizarre one. He doesn't have the ability to play centre midfield and don't get me started on Tudor Jones.

If Fenlon was in charge folk would be having a fit on here.

dmc1875
07-12-2013, 05:16 PM

We have some really really bad footballers in our side at the minute. Liam Craig as captain is another bizarre one. He doesn't have the ability to play centre midfield and don't get me started on Tudor Jones.

Don't think i agree. There was a lot of fighting spirit on show today and seen as we were lucky to see ONE shot on goal in a game Fenlon was in charge of this season I'll take the 16 attempts and bit more excitement with some chances actually created than that any day of the week.

We are not a good team and there is a lot of work to be done but 3 games now without defeat and the team are working harder than they ever did under fenlon. Why we have so many people moaning is beyond me can people not try and see the positives?

Hiber-nation
07-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Hoofball from start to finish but what else can TB do with this bunch of players? Fenlon tried to play it patiently through the midfield and that didn't work either. Butcher's not daft - he knows fine well what's missing from this squad.

On another note some of the stayaways who came back today should really stay away for good. Some complete and utter erses giving individual players totally unwarranted dogs abuse for 90 minutes.

Andy74
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM

Lewis Stevenson at right wing would have had a thread on its own lasting into the next game!

Dashing Bob S
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Don't think i agree. There was a lot of fighting spirit on show today and seen as we were lucky to see ONE shot on goal in a game Fenlon was in charge of this season I'll take the 16 attempts and bit more excitement with some chances actually created than that any day of the week.

We are not a good team and there is a lot of work to be done but 3 games now without defeat and the team are working harder than they ever did under fenlon. Why we have so many people moaning is beyond me can people not try and see the positives?

Agreed. There are some people on this thread that I would be keeping away from sharp objects, high buildings, and combos of parcetomols and bottles of spirits in the run-up to Christmas.

PeterboroHibee
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Maybe you havent noticed but the man who built that team at Inverness is now the Hibernian manager, so Id say thats good news :wink:!

And a guy who has played about 15 games for the club is a flop...?

Jones28
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
We'd have lost that game under fenlon.

Purehibee_MYB
07-12-2013, 05:34 PM

:cbSurely on the wind up? Or just in a bad mood?

The Green Goblin
07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Lewis Stevenson at right wing would have had a thread on its own lasting into the next game!

Kneejerk, exaggerated nonsense. Fenlon has gone. Come out of your huff and get over it Andy.

Andy74
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Kneejerk, exaggerated nonsense. Fenlon has gone. Come out of your huff and get over it Andy.

I like Butcher but there are some fair points about reactions to today that would have been quite different.

kentao
07-12-2013, 05:48 PM
The football wasnt great today but its like watching Barca compared to the ***** Fenlon made us watch. We created a few decent chances that we didnt finish off. we had plenty of balls into the box plenty of corners but just didnt fall for us. When Butcher can get a couple of his players in things will click into place.

Spike Mandela
07-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Wisnae great viewing if honest but we at least kept going till the end. The players do seem to have a bit more of a positive attitude since TB came in even if the old limitations are there.

We aren't a great team and we don't have any what I would call 'star' players but was pleased for Collins getting his goal. Hopefully TB can do some business in the transfer window.

Stuarty27
07-12-2013, 05:50 PM
:cbSurely on the wind up? Or just in a bad mood?

I don't think the cold helped my mood but you can't say you enjoyed that today?

At one point in the 2nd half Hanlon played at least 4 long punts in a row to nobody. It was shocking to watch.

green.and.white
07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Awful style of football, but at least we threatened and created chances, something we have severely lacked at home all season

Andy74
07-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Awful style of football, but at least we threatened and created chances, something we have severely lacked at home all season

Yeah agree with the shots and chances.

Heisenberg
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
So is butcher supposed to have these boys playing free flowing football after two games aye? This team is slow all over the park and lacking in talent going forward. That's down to Fenlon.

GreenCastle
07-12-2013, 05:59 PM
We were pretty direct - we also hit several long balls and crosses.

You can be direct but it has to be with a purpose - we don't have the speed to attack like Partick or ICT did to us.

However direct can be effective if done with accuracy and players who can hold the ball up / attack crosses.

A direct ball into the box help us get the goal. In the 1st half we were causing problems at time but often the cross didn't beat the 1st man and 2nd half it was players panicking or aimlessly hitting up the pitch.

I would like us to be more direct than Fenlon set out but there is a time to keep the ball and pass it around. Bottom line though is if we win I don't mind how we do it - I am sure over time it was improve - if it's poor after 2 years then we can all moan - like it was under Fenlon more often than not.

Emerald
07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
We were great at football under Fenlon until the ball had to go forward then it all stopped. It wasn't perfect today but it's a start. We are at least getting up the park and "channels" seems to work OK for the team sitting second.

The people booing players and leaving early because they are bored should maybe stick to their playstations or sky tv.

On the leaving early front (I did/had to), it's getting even more ridiculous at half time. Folk streaming out with 3 minutes plus the obvious 3 minutes injury time, a full 6 minutes before the whistle, can folk not actually eat something before they come out? :devil:

As for the game today, it was total hoofball but that will take Terry a while (not 2 years) to beat the Fenlon ways out of this squad! :stirrer:

hibsbollah
07-12-2013, 06:02 PM

According to the beeb we had sixteen shots (which surprised me), and eleven corners to 2. Which is obviously progress in terms of getting in the right positions on the pitch. But I thought we were second best all day and much poorer at retaining possession than Thistle. Butcher will need to learn our strengths and weaknesses over the next few months. Hopefully we can all be patient.

Bobby's Cinema
07-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I like Butcher but there are some fair points about reactions to today that would have been quite different.
This is true. But do you really want us to be on the managers back straight away? No. Right then

Andy74
07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
This is true. But do you really want us to be on the managers back straight away? No. Right then

You're right and no I don't.

inglisavhibs
07-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I was saying this a few weeks back. If you stick a solo striker out wide on the channel, you'll get more balls into the box, but they'll be almost nobody there to finish anything off.

I'm glad they kept fighting until the very end and we managed to at least get something out of the game. But these tactics from Butcher are quite horrific if we're all being honest about it.
We don,t have the players to play through teams who get behind the ball. Only Cairney in todays team can beat a man so how do you suggest we create chances. Our best three chances today all came from long crosses and knockdowns in the box. We were pretty awful today but that's nothing to do with tactics, more to do with lack of athleticism and ability. Butcher will change players as quickly as possible and hopefully give us a team who can win matches on a more regular basis.

Keith_M
07-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Results so far under Butcher

Binary numbers people ken what's gaun oan

:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
07-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I think today showed just how poor a side we are. Partick came on the back of a run of defeats yet looked sharper, quicker and stronger than Hibs. We have been brushed aside in recent weeks by Aberdeen, and ICT showing just how far away we are from competing with the top six sides .
We have to accept that Butcher has inherited an imbalanced squad lacking in pace and creativity , a squad that is bottom six material and no more. They are even incapable of beating the worst Hearts team in my lifetime which says it all.
Today only underlined the scale of the job facing Butcher and Malpas and hopefully they will be able to make some significant changes during the window.

allezsauzee
07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
We'd have won that game under Fenlon. I can't actually substantiate this with facts but neither can anyone who says we'd have lost it with Fenlon.

lord bunberry
07-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Lets be honest it was pretty poor today, but i feel wr would have lost the game under fenlon. Were not anywhere near the finished article but at least we've got some fight about us.

hail1875hail
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM

were you sitting next to my us? haha basically summed up my dad and i's conversation throughout the game! couldn't believe folk were applauding that off the pitch.. shocking! was at partick away earlier in the season where we somehow by miracle managed a smash and grab and weve done it again! hoof hoof hoof ohh and on your last comment we decided to watch only him (give our eyes a break from the 'football') and see what he did - how heis a footballer never mind anywhere near our first team? offered absolute nothing aswell as barely breaking into a jog in about 5/10mins

its gonna take alot of change for us to be back soon, and not just results but attractive football!

brianmc
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
According to the beeb we had sixteen shots (which surprised me), and eleven corners to 2. Which is obviously progress in terms of getting in the right positions on the pitch. But I thought we were second best all day and much poorer at retaining possession than Thistle. Butcher will need to learn our strengths and weaknesses over the next few months. Hopefully we can all be patient.

I think at least half of those "shots" were the awful 35yard attempts that OTJ persisted in trying.....Stats,huh?

Emerald
07-12-2013, 06:26 PM
I think today showed just how poor a side we are. Partick came on the back of a run of defeats yet looked sharper, quicker and stronger than Hibs. We have been brushed aside in recent weeks by Aberdeen, and ICT showing just how far away we are from competing with the top six sides .
We have to accept that Butcher has inherited an imbalanced squad lacking in pace and creativity , a squad that is bottom six material and no more. They are even incapable of beating the worst Hearts team in my lifetime which says it all.
Today only underlined the scale of the job facing Butcher and Malpas and hopefully they will be able to make some significant changes during the window.

Spot on with this. :agree:

I think Butcher will give them all a chance to see if there are players in the squad capable of solving some of the problems. For me though the imbalance in the squad, lack of pace and creativity has to be addressed. Players will leave, some good players too because although the majority are of a decent standard, he will have to shift players on to get a better blend. I don't think he will do this as soon as January though, probably better assesing what he's got/not got before making moves.

whiskyhibby
07-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Jim..........Is that really you Mr Jeffries?

Ronniekirk
07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah agree with the shots and chances.
But did your son and daughter enjoy it as mine didn't and they are the future supporters Have to be honest it was a bit of an Anticlimax We missed Robertson which is not something I would have said last season .Craig iOS either not handling the captaincy or playing to deep or bit of both.Foster will make mistakes but will get better with experience Stevenson was not that good today and handling too.On the pus side Butcher still unbeaten Cairney looks to be capturing form that he was in when we first signed him Collins stuck to his task and eventually struck the ball well for his goal but we need more of that from him and he struggles to win the ball when just punted up the park . Cummings looked lively when he came o. the biggest enigma is what has happened to Zoubby a shadow of the confident skillfully player that could come on and change the game for us. . but at Firhill they played us off the park for long spells so it was an improvement from then.

Green Fish
07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I cannot believe that otj stayed on the park, he is woeful. I spoke, very briefly, to kt after the match. Surely he would have added a bit of quality and composure to the midfield. I asked him what was going on, his reply _ don't know, ask the manager. He looked totally bemused and dejected. Sad to see. Also Cummins was gutted he didn't score with first touch, he looks a player.

Green Fish
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
And I'd love to see Sammy Stanton get a decent chance

Viva_Palmeiras
07-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Were you not busy with other bad news today down at Swannick?

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
certainly not KT's biggest fan(that's for another time) but how the heck OTJ can get in to that team ahead of him is baffling

Weir7
07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
And I'd love to see Sammy Stanton get a decent chance

Me to but sadly been demoted back to the youths. Buthcher don't like how he plays the game.

greenlex
07-12-2013, 07:06 PM
I wouldnt actually mind Hoofball if we were any good at it. Collins is not going to be a Hibs player going forward. Not got it Im afraid. Bags of running and a goal at last but did he actually win a header today in how many attempts? I like Forster I really do but thought he was below average today. I like cairney going forward but he left Maybury Exposed countless times in the first half. OTJ is a great pointer. Danny Handling was below par. Hanlon got pass marks. Didnt enjoy that today but happy enough with a point after that.

Weir7
07-12-2013, 07:10 PM
certainly not KT's biggest fan(that's for another time) but how the heck OTJ can get in to that team ahead of him is baffling

Its crazy. But if butcher just wants to smash it long wimbledon style then what's the point having a passer in the team.

OTJ is junk. Slow as a week in jail.

cabbageandribs1875
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Its a disgrace. But if butcher just wants to smash it long wimbledon style then what's the point having a passer in the team.

OTJ is junk. Slow as a week in jail.

that's ok if we had a big strapping forward that the ball would stick to, but we don't

Emerald
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
:agree:

.Sean.
07-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Tudor Jones is a horrible player. Humpy.

seanshow
07-12-2013, 07:23 PM
IMO as FatboySlim recently sang "Pass pass punt repeat, square pass punt repeat, pass back punt repeat."
If every ball played forward ends up as a 50/50 ball you will never win football matches or put fans in the stadium,especially when you lose most of those 50/50s.

Lost of magic required from Terry to turn this around, it's early days though I have the faith. :greengrin

steakbake
07-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I thought there was more dig in the team today than I've seen of late. Terry can't wave a magic wand but in amongst some bad, there was a lot of good today.

Still unbeaten under Butcher. Big big test next week v Celtic.

Weir7
07-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Correct. I wanted fenlon out but no once did fenlon play fitba like that and if he did the place would be meltdown. Three ganes in and Butchers not interested in playing footie.

Pleased he's pushed team up the park and trying to get more crosses into the box.

Paisley Hibby
07-12-2013, 07:35 PM
I wouldnt actually mind Hoofball if we were any good at it. Collins is not going to be a Hibs player going forward. Not got it Im afraid. Bags of running and a goal at last but did he actually win a header today in how many attempts? I like Forster I really do but thought he was below average today. I like cairney going forward but he left Maybury Exposed countless times in the first half. OTJ is a great pointer. Danny Handling was below par. Hanlon got pass marks. Didnt enjoy that today but happy enough with a point after that.

To me the problem was that the passes aimed for his head were consistently overcooked - the service he gets is shocking. Once we get that sorted I think Collins is going to be a very good player for us.

Cropley10
07-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Oh dear. Dry your eyes.

Weir7
07-12-2013, 07:39 PM

No its not, if Fenlon had lulu at right mid. Place would have errupted.

Speedway
07-12-2013, 07:40 PM
We'd have drawn this one under Fenlon, won it under Mowbray, lost it under Calderwood and not have been in the same division as Partick under Duffy.

Mr White
07-12-2013, 07:47 PM
We'd have drawn this one under Fenlon, won it under Mowbray, lost it under Calderwood and not have been in the same division as Partick under Duffy.

What about under collins, Hughes, mixu and mcleish? Come on speedway, be more thorough!

fatbloke
07-12-2013, 07:47 PM

:faf:

Speedway
07-12-2013, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=youngyosh;3831106]IMO as FatboySlim recently sang "Pass pass punt repeat, square pass punt repeat, pass back punt repeat."
If every ball played forward ends up as a 50/50 ball you will never win football matches or put fans in the stadium,especially when you lose most of those 50/50s.

Lost of magic required from Terry to turn this around, it's early days though I have the faith. :greengrin[

Tel seems to have spotted this.

/"I'm very pleased with them at the end of the day. They put a lot of effort into it. Yes, we know the quality's not quite there, we know we've got to work on lots of things, but it's a three-match unbeaten run."

The Green Goblin
07-12-2013, 07:54 PM

But that's because it IS a different situation. Fenlon was a manager who had had two years working with the team behind him and we were awful: unable to play creatively or aggressively- just look at the lack of goals/chances/shots and our total of two league wins in 2013. Butcher has had two weeks. How is it possibly fair to point to faults that are still in the team and imply he's getting off easier than Fenlon did for the same thing? I really don't think it is.

God Petrie
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Hoofing it up to Collins is not the answer.

It's certainly not Collins' fault because he will score goals given service. It's a little bit of a concern that a Butcher team doesn't see the futility of hoofing up to collins.

I'll judge TB once he has his own players though and maybe builds a team where our current tactics aren't the necessity it seems to be.

The Green Goblin
07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
No its not, if Fenlon had lulu at right mid. Place would have errupted.

There'd probably have been a thread, sure, but "erupted" is an exaggeration. The place "erupted" when Riordan went to Celtic. It got close to an "eruption" when the huns story started unravelling but I really don't think it "erupted" when Fenlon played LS at Right back. There was disagreement, frustration and maybe even some anger, yes, but my point is it wasn't as big as you and Andy are making out. My post above also explains why imho, any such reaction would be unjustified at this stage of TB's career as manager. Fwiw, I thought Stevenson played well today.

JIm
07-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I think on reflection my frustration didn't directly just come from today. A mix of **** season after season from distinctly poor managers.

I just believe we should aspire to be the best we can, get the ball down, play quickly with creativity whilst promoting players from within.

Is it to much to ask for to try and put a plan in place to finally build this club up properly? I hope butcher can do this but early signs in terms of style don't fill me with optimism.

My current hope is this is block one before he stamps his ground and brings in his own players and that our style evolves. One things for sure he has got one hell of a job on his hands.

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM

Oh and Tudor Jones? Really?Don't then, it really is that simple.

JIm
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Don't then, it really is that simple.

If only it was. I want for nothing more than to turn up see my team play some decent football and enjoy my day out.

sambajustice
07-12-2013, 08:22 PM

This is where I am.

exactly how I saw it too.

Andy74
07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I think on reflection my frustration didn't directly just come from today. A mix of **** season after season from distinctly poor managers.

I just believe we should aspire to be the best we can, get the ball down, play quickly with creativity whilst promoting players from within.

Is it to much to ask for to try and put a plan in place to finally build this club up properly? I hope butcher can do this but early signs in terms of style don't fill me with optimism.

My current hope is this is block one before he stamps his ground and brings in his own players and that our style evolves. One things for sure he has got one hell of a job on his hands.

GGTTH

Not sure it has to be so big a job.

We largely had a decent set up but needed a bit of pace and creativity.

My worry is if we try and become a team that are just direct and we aren't that suited to it .

First half of the Hearts game is the way to play. We could be trying to work on that.

Not sure Id call this progress at this stage. It is early. Very early. But this time not all that much was far wrong in the first place.

Craig_in_Prague
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
2 weeks working with a pish bunch of players,
Fans expected what exactly?

TB will sign a few in Jan but I've said several times my enthusiasm of TBs appointment is dampened by the fact he's been left with an unbalanced pile of crap,

Still, he got us our 1st ever win over county, and by tge next round he might have some new players in + Harris back.
As for the league, a struggle to get into top half I fear.

Andy74
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
2 weeks working with a pish bunch of players,
Fans expected what exactly?

TB will sign a few in Jan but I've said several times my enthusiasm of TBs appointment is dampened by the fact he's been left with an unbalanced pile of crap,

Still, he got us our 1st ever win over county, and by tge next round he might have some new players in + Harris back.
As for the league, a struggle to get into top half I fear.

I'd prefer not to take big steps back in style.

I've heard for months that the players were largely good but needed a more positive manager.

Isn't that the case any more ?

lobster
07-12-2013, 08:43 PM
This is where I am.

exactly how I saw it too.

Me too.

Butchers impact has been terrific in terms of enthusiasm and confidence but today was a sharp reminder that there is a very long road ahead. Its great that he's giving the current crop of players every chance but the reality is that wholesale changes are required to change the soul of the team around. We are half a team at most at the moment.

GreenCastle
07-12-2013, 08:45 PM

I've heard for months that the players were largely good but needed a more positive manager.

This is a myth and you can see the squad isn't balanced and it's lacking key components to for a successful team.

Robertson and Craig work better together than Craig and OTJ.

Harris and Heff will add something to us once they come back but can't see them being fully fit till mid January.

If you were at the ICT game against us at ER a few weeks ago - that wasn't Butchers style - it was fast / agile players doing the basics with some creative quality.

I would love us to sign a midfielder who can control games without slowing it down and someone who can pick a pass or through ball every so often.

Pete
07-12-2013, 09:00 PM
This is a myth and you can see the squad isn't balanced and it's lacking key components to for a successful team.

Robertson and Craig work better together than Craig and OTJ.

Harris and Heff will add something to us once they come back.

If you were at the ICT game against us at ER a few weeks ago - that wasn't Butchers style - it was fast / agile players doing the basics with some creative quality.

I would love us to sign a midfielder who can control games without slowing it down and someone who can pick a pass or through ball every so often.

Spot on. To go from the way we played to the way ICT play is going to take time and probably some changes in personnel.

I don't believe we have this poor, unbalanced squad. The truth is that they aren't fit or sharp enough yet to play the way Terry wants them to. People were giving Tudur Jones clogg for being too slow but that's not what he's about. If a run is made he will give it but there's not enough movement at the moment. The peeling off, intelligent runs and link up play will only happen when the players achieve that sharpness and even though there is an improvement it's understandably still a long way off. The effort and desire is improving but I'm afraid we only done enough to match Partick in that department today.
More options will start to appear over time as players get fitter and sharper but until then it's probably going to be quite strange. It will be a bit like that "in between" stage when you're growing your hair long...you'll forget what the end result will be and want to just chop it off at times.

Look at the way Inverness get behind teams and appear in attacking positions almost instantly. That's what we're aiming for and what we will get if we stick with the plan and give Terry and the boys 100% backing through this transitional period.

WhileTheChief..
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Pretty boring match really but decent enough result considering.

Still undefeated under TB but loads of hard work ahead required.

Please stop the long balls to Collins though, it's grim watching.

lyonhibs
07-12-2013, 09:14 PM

From who?? Certainly post Malmo, the majority of people seemed to have accepted that - to varying extents - our squad is rank rotten with a few exceptions and lacking in pace and creativity - with even fewer exceptions.

Folk expecting Butcher to polish a turd are in for a long 1st half of 2014 methinks.

Northernhibee
07-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Oh well Terry, we gave you three games it seems.

Personally I'd have said there were plenty of positives to take from today (unlike the melters behind today who gave Handling eight minutes before declaring he's never a player) but the increased shots on goal, work rate and directness of play was good and to show grit to the whistle was good.

Once Terry and Maurice get more time in coaching the team and Marsella finds a few hidden gems I think the good times are coming.

GoldenMeerkat
07-12-2013, 09:23 PM
It took TB four years to build that ICT team, and we're expecting exactly what in three weeks?

Andy74
07-12-2013, 09:25 PM
It took TB four years to build that ICT team, and we're expecting exactly what in two weeks?

If we are four years away we could have kept a selection of our previous managers couldn't we?

Flanny boy
07-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Pretty boring match really but decent enough result considering.

Still undefeated under TB but loads of hard work ahead required.

Please stop the long balls to Collins though, it's grim watching.
Agreed and even if Collins wins the header
there,s nobody there to pick it up,pointless

stoneyburn hibs
07-12-2013, 09:38 PM
the goal started when Handling gave the ball away and gave up the ghost on it they then caught us on the break.

YEP, that was it.
Handling done nothing to show that he should keep his place in the x11, whilst Heff is out lets see more of Cummings.

IWasThere2016
07-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh well Terry, we gave you three games it seems.

Personally I'd have said there were plenty of positives to take from today (unlike the melters behind today who gave Handling eight minutes before declaring he's never a player) but the increased shots on goal, work rate and directness of play was good and to show grit to the whistle was good.

Once Terry and Maurice get more time in coaching the team and Marsella finds a few hidden gems I think the good times are coming.

I don't think #74 has given him 3 games :wink:

How did Fenlon do in his first 3 games?

Ronniekirk
07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
YEP, that was it.
Handling done nothing to show that he should keep his place in the x11, whilst Heff is out lets see more of Cummings.
Agree we need to give him more game time but we can't just expect him to come into the team and be a Saviour up front But Danny was disappointing today and showed he isn't ready to be played week in week out .

The Modfather
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
If we are four years away we could have kept a selection of our previous managers couldn't we?

That ICT team is also punching considerably above it's weight. I'm sure I read there wage budget is only 800k. If we are punching well above our weight in 4 years time I'll be doing cartwheels.

Butcher has to get us punching our weight, I.e not bottom six and more in line with how much we spend in relation to the other teams.

You might have a certain view of things, but IMO Fenlon left us a mess, admittedly not as big a mess as Calderwood, but simply not doing as bad a job as one of the worst managers in our history doesn't automatically equate to leaving a steady base to build on.

We currently have a squad with absolutely no creativity, pace and major issues at full back, and a woefully imbalanced midfield. I'm not convinced about the strikers but difficult to judge based in their lack of service.

Other than Williams, and the youngsters there is genuinely not one player I would be bothered about losing. That's not to say I'd necessarily bin them all, but if you were to tell me such and such was leaving, "meh" would be my likely reaction.

Jim44
08-12-2013, 12:24 AM
At best we were consistently mediocre, at the other end of the scale we held our own but can see a good team taking a barrowload off us ......... who do we play next week? ......... yikes, it's the smellies. Butcher can only take us upwards but with this squad, not very far. Without additions I can't see us getting a top six place but we're marginally better than the bottom five. Boring springs to mind.

B.H.F.C
08-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Don't think for a minute that is the way Butcher wants to play long term. He didn't at Inverness so why would he here? A lot has been said about him being direct etc but his Inverness team scored goals for fun at times so clearly did something right with the ball.

I think he's stripped it back to basics due to the crap he's inherited. The same players who've struggled all season aren't suddenly going to play silky, attacking stuff. I don't buy in to the strong squad stuff. A strong squad doesn't struggle as much with the ball the way we have this year. There are some very capable players within the squad though.

When I think back to Fenlons last couple of games against Aberdeen and Hearts we curled up and died when we went behind. Hardly had a chance. Today we missed a couple of sitters and had various scrambles in their box. It wasn't pretty but at least the long balls had a purpose.

I'm certain the football will improve in time. And results.

Hibs07p
08-12-2013, 05:08 AM
The football wasnt great today but its like watching Barca compared to the ***** Fenlon made us watch. We created a few decent chances that we didnt finish off. we had plenty of balls into the box plenty of corners but just didnt fall for us. When Butcher can get a couple of his players in things will click into place.

Did Jake enjoy it any better this time?

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 09:09 AM
This is Fenlons team, a team he took 2 years to assemble. I said before he was punted, it wouldnt matter who came in he'd have a very difficult job making them players he'd inherited into a decent side.

Butcher has changed the style of play SLIGHTLY, its still hoofball, but its quicker hoofball. Under Fenflop we'd pass pass pass pass and pass the ball between defenders and the spare man we ALWAYS had in midfield because he's play 14 of them, but ultimately the ball would end up back at one of the defenders who would punt it as long as he could.

Now the ball is punted into the channels or towards Collins and the team IS gaining possession of the ball when we win the knock downs much further up the park than before.

Its still not pretty, but we are creating many more chances than under Fenflop. Only an idiot would think bringing in a new manager would make this lot of players suddenly spray the ball around like Barcelona within a month of him taking over.

Again in my opinion, we need half a team of new player to improve us into making the top 6 and fighting for Europe.

Hibbyradge
08-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Maybe once Butcher has subjected us to a 5 - 1 cup final defeat against Hearts, a 7 - 0 humiliation against Malmo and succeeded in losing twice to the worst Hearts team in living history, those reactions will change.

Fenlon was given plenty time to fix things.

It seems you're unhappy with the same leeway being given to the new man.

B.H.F.C
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
This is Fenlons team, a team he took 2 years to assemble. I said before he was punted, it wouldnt matter who came in he'd have a very difficult job making them players he'd inherited into a decent side.

Butcher has changed the style of play SLIGHTLY, its still hoofball, but its quicker hoofball. Under Fenflop we'd pass pass pass pass and pass the ball between defenders and the spare man we ALWAYS had in midfield because he's play 14 of them, but ultimately the ball would end up back at one of the defenders who would punt it as long as he could.

Now the ball is punted into the channels or towards Collins and the team IS gaining possession of the ball when we win the knock downs much further up the park than before.

Its still not pretty, but we are creating many more chances than under Fenflop. Only an idiot would think bringing in a new manager would make this lot of players suddenly spray the ball around like Barcelona within a month of him taking over.

Again in my opinion, we need half a team of new player to improve us into making the top 6 and fighting for Europe.

Pretty much the way I see it as well. Still not pretty but it has a purpose to it and is more effective.

In time I'm sure it'll improve. IMO you can see the attitude is different the way they kept going til the death.

hfc rd
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM

100% agree with this.

Golden Bear
08-12-2013, 09:34 AM

In a nutshell.

At least this latest form of hoofball produces more excitement in and around the opposition penalty box.

patch1875
08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Not sure we will ever see silky footie under butcher, ball into channels is his style. A team of grafters that gets results but pretty it won't be.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Not sure we will ever see silky footie under butcher, ball into channels is his style. A team of grafters that gets results but pretty it won't be.

Did you see the way ICT dismantled us the other week, i'd take that kind of football every day of the week from Hibs?

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2013, 10:45 AM
The measure of the Butcher / Malpas style is ICT not Hibs yesterday.

Aye it wasnt silky or stylish ... but it was quicker and at times the Thistle defending was in the desperation category as ball after ball was humped into their box. No it wasnt pretty, but it went on until the last minute and we had missed two good chances before Collins scored.

That will do for me just now. The players were clapped off for not giving up and obvious effort, not because they had been brilliant.

I hope Cummings doesnt let his miss affect him. It perhaps wasnt as easy as it looked and at least he was in the right place when it mattered. He also had a decent run before that and hit what looked like a powerful shot which would have been on target but for a defender getting in the way of it. I like the look of this lad and hope he will get more game time.

Its going to be a long road until we can get the team together which will allow TB and MM to get Hibs playing the way they want. ICT are very direct, but with pace and good running. I've seen them a number of times at ER and would never class them as a hoofball team. I'm sure thats not what the current management team want for us.

FWIW a home draw against Partick is not acceptable. But I've seen worse teams at ER than them and their goal was brilliantly taken. Onwards and upwards meethinks.

GGTTH

GreenCastle
08-12-2013, 10:53 AM

:top marks

It was positive from my point of view to see us getting corners, putting the ball into the box from open play and trying to play the game in the oppositions half. We even had a few shots in goal in the 1st half and even though OTJ hit 1 out of 3 good shots at least he was shooting - the first attempt being not bad (the other 2 horrendous though!).

This will take time to turnaround and I'm glad it's January soon hoping we can bring in 1 or 2 players to change the dynamic.

We have had a new manager effect - working harder and unbeaten in 3 - so far that's fine - Celtic will be a massive test next week.

Butcher, Malpas and Marsella will get us there just give them longer than 3 weeks!!! :rolleyes:

Borderhibbie76
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Correct. I wanted fenlon out but no once did fenlon play fitba like that and if he did the place would be meltdown. Three ganes in and Butchers not interested in playing footie.

Pleased he's pushed team up the park and trying to get more crosses into the box.

What a nonsense...if u cannot see the improvement from fenlon yest...ie shots at goal then I seriously am bemused!! FFS butcher has only had 3 games and u expect us to be playing silky football. Worth remember it was fenlon who left us with this seriously imbalanced squad...give butcher time FFS

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
What a nonsense...if u cannot see the improvement from fenlon yest...ie shots at goal then I seriously am bemused!! FFS butcher has only had 3 games and u expect us to be playing silky football. Worth remember it was fenlon who left us with this seriously imbalanced squad...give butcher time FFS

I really don't know what some people expect, we don't have a very good team? We are stuck with what we have for the time being, Harris will hopefully come back soon and give us a bit of that pace we are missing, he also creates and is capable of scoring too.

Yet saying that, he's still virtually a very inexperienced kid, who will probably have just as many poor games as good ones.

We are still not playing the kind of football i'd like to see, but i never expected us to do so this quickly. Robertson and Harris coming back in would enhance that team from yesterday, but the main strengthening will be done from players we don't currently have at the club.

Borderhibbie76
08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Maybe once Butcher has subjected us to a 5 - 1 cup final defeat against Hearts, a 7 - 0 humiliation against Malmo and succeeded in losing twice to the worst Hearts team in living history, those reactions will change.

Fenlon was given plenty time to fix things.

It seems you're unhappy with the same leeway being given to the new man.

Spot on mate 110%!! Fenlon was given plenty of time by hibs fans....much longer than many of his predecessors!! Imo he got too long...hence the mess if current 1st team squad ie no pace, creativity, no rb etc etc

Borderhibbie76
08-12-2013, 01:16 PM

I really don't know what some people expect, we don't have a very good team? We are stuck with what we have for the time being, Harris will hopefully come back soon and give us a bit of that pace we are missing, he also creates and is capable of scoring too.

Yet saying that, he's still virtually a very inexperienced kid, who will probably have just as many poor games as good ones.

We are still not playing the kind of football i'd like to see, but i never expected us to do so this quickly. Robertson and Harris coming back in would enhance that team from yesterday, but the main strengthening will be done from players we don't currently have at the club.

Honestly cannot believe some comments on here BH...we dont have a very good squad and that us down to fenlon. The best way to sum it up is look at state fenlon left us in...compared to what Yogi has inherited from TB up at ICT. We have the right man but MUST be patient and give him time to mould the squad!!

Stuarty27
08-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I don't think anyone on here is blaming Butcher but quite rightly pointing out yesterday was absolute horrendous.

We simply don't have many talented players

ackeygraham
08-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I think have to realistic here, TB doesn't have a magic wand and nothing is going to change until January when he can shuffle his pack.

He is making us hard to beat and get more balls into the box by whatever means until then. It may not be pretty but is a little effective and bringing a small bit of fortune.

Until then let's grin and bear it and get behind them and the team. Could be worse, could be a yam..

GGTTH :flag:

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 01:38 PM
I think have to realistic here, TB doesn't have a magic wand and nothing is going to change until January when he can shuffle his pack.

He is making us hard to beat and get more balls into the box by whatever means until then. It may not be pretty but is a little effective and bringing a small bit of fortune.

Until then let's grin and bear it and get behind them and the team. Could be worse, could be a yam..

GGTTH :flag:

Exactly, if we are still producing football like yesterday in 2 years time, then Butcher will rightly be getting stick from the support.

Twa Cairpets
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Jeezo

I despair. I really do.

ackeygraham
08-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Exactly, if we are still producing football like yesterday in 2 years time, then Butcher will rightly be getting stick from the support.

Couldn't agree more BH. Think we have to walk before can run but some fans expect a full sprint straight away. Doesn't take a genius never mind TB to know where we need to improve and who needs to move on.

greenpaper55
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Also Robertson is a big miss when he is injured, i thought Craig struggled without him in the team. I see thistles manger said they matched us all over the park-what a load of garbage, we must have had twenty corners to their three or so. My initial thoughts yesterday were that thistle got every break going and even mi**** passes were finding their own players , lets hope we get a share of that luck soon, the bottom line is we never deserved to lose even though it was not pretty.

inglisavhibs
08-12-2013, 07:50 PM

The highlights showed us to be better than we seemed live. We set up many one on one's, especially down the left in the first half but we don't have the players to go past defenders. One Partick scored we got a bit desperate but managed to create 3 good chances, one of which we took. The fans got on the players backs too quickly and didn't help. We have a long way to go but if we can inject a bit of pace in to the team, it will help us a lot.

Jonnyboy
08-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Utter nonsense. There were times when I wished Fenlon had played it that way. At least we'd have cut out the 46 passes before it

sambajustice
08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
We were truly awful yesterday, Partick werent that great either so a draw is probably fair result.

But we are really honking. Hopefully big Tel will be able to change it.

I'm lucky I was sitting in the FF Upper otherwise I would've had a sair neck looking up at the sky all afternoon.

Best bit about yesterday was the 2 guys arguing about Leigh Griffiths, what a hoot that was!!! Anyone else hear it? Posh seats in the FF Upper!

RIP
09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm sure that Terry will be a better SPL manager than Pat.

But try explaining to two teenage laddies why pumping fifty balls to the head of the Partick Centre half and winning less that 20% of the second balls is a good tactic at any level of football

My youngest calls it 'Anti Football'

I've asked him to be patient but since the CIS Cup Final in 2007 he has seen 5 managers, countless journeyment players, a number of whole squad transitions, season after season of 'time to build his own team' and for most of that time the playing style he has been subjected to has been horrific.

Top six won't keep supporters like these guys happy - the product has to be watchable first. Weekends at Easter Road for our family is about entertainment first, results second.

No knee jerk reaction from me - happy to wait and see how we are performing in the New Year

truehibernian
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm sure that Terry will be a better SPL manager than Pat.

But try explaining to two teenage laddies why pumping fifty balls to the head of the Partick Centre half and winning less that 20% of the second balls is a good tactic at any level of football

My youngest calls it 'Anti Football'

I've asked him to be patient but since the CIS Cup Final in 2007 he has seen 5 managers, countless journeyment players, a number of whole squad transitions, season after season of 'time to build his own team' and for most of that time the playing style he has been subjected to has been horrific.

Top six won't keep supporters like these guys happy - the product has to be watchable first. Weekends at Easter Road for our family is about entertainment first, results second.

No knee jerk reaction from me - happy to wait and see how we are performing in the New Year

Would have helped if our central midfielders showed for the ball a bit more and were a bit more dynamic going forward though.

I thought Liam Craig and OTJ were pretty ineffectual on Saturday - so it was no surprise that the ball was launched up quickly (albeit not with much accuracy). Our midfield needs a wee magician who wants the ball constantly and drives the side forward and wide. We missed Robbo, but I think we need someone in the mould of Paul McGowan from St Mirren - a player who demands the ball at all times and doesn't look back, looks forward.

Hibs at present are a team playing to their strengths - narrow and physical. Come January I am sure we will see some pace brought in up top.

I also can't remember Hibs winning so many corners as we have done the last three games, nor winning as many headers in the opposition box from them. That is encouraging.

But see this week - go and practice throw in's Tel - all day every day :agree:

Ronaldo9
09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Am I the only one who would like to see a central midfield partnership of Thomson and Robertson? Thomson to sit and protect, pick passes and try and keep possession rather than just hoof the ball in a forward direction and Robertson to push on and make the 3rd man run in behind our forward line.

Football is an easy game made difficult by players and manager alike. I'm all for TB making us press the game in the oppo's half of the field but there comes a point when you need to take a look at the personnel you have available to you and play to their strengths. For me Liam Craig has been poor for a number of weeks now. He is not a sitting midfielder, KT is. Get him back in there to do what he does well and allow players like Robertson or Craig to push forward and be a goal threat.

There is no doubt we miss the skill and creativity of young Harris and hopefully with another wide player or 2 added in Jan we can push on.

TowerHibs
09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
We do not have any pace or creativity to get in behind teams therefore we have to move the ball forward quicker and into corners. It allows us, as a team to push up and at least attempt to create chances from 30/40 yards further up than we did under PF. I agree 100% with BlackpoolHibs that we still played hoofball under fenlon, go back and read the match discussions. 10 passes along the back line, followed by an aimless launch up the park is pointless. Least with Butcher, at the minute, the players know the ball will be forward quick and the midfielders can look for scraps. Robertson is a big miss!!!

Looking at the BBC website quickly at the match stats, Fenlons 12 games in charge resulted in a average 8.16 shots at goal and we conceeded 10 shots at our goal. So far under TB we are averaging 10 shots a game and conceeding 7 shots.

Very simplistic i know but if we are playing bad and have a poor team, i know i would rather we kept the ball 30/40 yards further away from our goal than we were doing!!!!

Eyrie
09-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Am I the only one who would like to see a central midfield partnership of Thomson and Robertson? Thomson to sit and protect, pick passes and try and keep possession rather than just hoof the ball in a forward direction and Robertson to push on and make the 3rd man run in behind our forward line.

Football is an easy game made difficult by players and manager alike. I'm all for TB making us press the game in the oppo's half of the field but there comes a point when you need to take a look at the personnel you have available to you and play to their strengths. For me Liam Craig has been poor for a number of weeks now. He is not a sitting midfielder, KT is. Get him back in there to do what he does well and allow players like Robertson or Craig to push forward and be a goal threat.

There is no doubt we miss the skill and creativity of young Harris and hopefully with another wide player or 2 added in Jan we can push on.

Said that before, so I'll agree with it now.