PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes over the years.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
The other thread about sin-bins got me thinking that a Rules Change thread might be interesting in its own right.

I'm not old enough to remember forwards being allowed to charge goalkeepers into the net if they were off the ground (although I think Willie Jamieson never knew that the rule had been changed!), but there have been a load of significant changes in my football life.

The passback and "6 seconds" rules have greatly improved the game, imo.

It used to be the case that defenders could pass the ball back to the keeper, who could keep it and wander around his box with the ball, for almost as long as he wanted, as long as he bounced the ball from time to time.

Also, the offside rule has improved drastically. It used to be the case, that if a player from the defending team was lying injured on the touchline near the corner flag, the opposing team could use him to keep onside.

Edit: That might still be the case, but the fashion for sportingly giving the ball back when an opposition player is injured probably stops it happening.

The reverse was certainly true. Referees used to disallow fabulous, long range strikes, because an attacking player might have been in an offside position on the touchline.

What else has changed?

snooky
05-12-2013, 04:48 PM
The other thread about sin-bins got me thinking that a Rules Change thread might be interesting in its own right.

I'm not old enough to remember forwards being allowed to charge goalkeepers into the net if they were off the ground (although I think Willie Jamieson never knew that the rule had been changed!), but there have been a load of significant changes in my football life.

It used to be the case that defenders could pass the ball back to the keeper, who could keep it and wander around his box with the ball, for almost as long as he wanted, as long as he bounced the ball from time to time.

Also, the offside rule has improved drastically. It used to be the case, that if a player from the defending team was lying injured on the touchline near the corner flag, the opposing team could use him to keep onside.

Edit: That might still be the case, but the fashion for sportingly giving the ball back when an opposition player is injured probably stops it happening.

The reverse was certainly true. Referees used to disallow fabulous, long range strikes, because an attacking player might have been in an offside position on the touchline.

What else has changed?

The 'Professional' foul. We used to get a lot of hacking down when it was 1 on 1. Still happens but the offender walks (unless of course he's with the OF :wink:)

StevieC
05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Did they not introduce a 10 yard penalty for dissent (or not retreating quick enough)? Might have just been down south, and it didn't last long. I'd bring something like that back for players that stand in front of the ball to stop a quick free kick.

Kojock
05-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Only 2 subbies allowed and number of subs on bench has increased from 2.

Tackle from behind.

The 'professional foul' - denying goal-scoring opportunity, now a red card.

Linesmen now assistant referees.

3 points for a win instead of two.

Technical area at the dug outs.

Fourth Official.

Shin guards compulsory.

Blood injury, player must leave pitch.

Penalty shoot out.

Golden goal, Silver goal.

Cropley10
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM

What else has changed?

There never used to be Red and Yellow cards. If i remember right they were brought in, then some leagues (England Div 1) stopped using them, then they came back for good. Sure this happened when I was a kid, when you got about 10 games a year on the TV maximum.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 05:23 PM
There never used to be Red and Yellow cards. If i remember right they were brought in, then some leagues (England Div 1) stopped using them, then they came back for good. Sure this happened when I was a kid, when you got about 10 games a year on the TV maximum.

Well remembered!

IIRC, you would only know a player had been cautioned, because you saw the referee taking his name and a sending off was signalled by the ref pointing at the tunnel.

Is that right?

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Before there had to be a substitute keeper on the bench, an outfield player would have to "don the gloves" if there was an injury or sending off.

God Petrie
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Before there had to be a substitute keeper on the bench, an outfield player would have to "don the gloves" if there was an injury or sending off.

Mind being at a game where Darren Jackson had to go in goals at Parkhead.

nonshinyfinish
05-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Even before the recent passive vs. active stuff, the history of the offside rule is fascinating. The change from the rugby-style 'offside if you're ahead of the ball' rules of various public school proto-football codes was critical in the development of football as we recognise it. Equally interesting is the contemporary reaction to the 'ungentlemanly' and 'sneaky' tactics of passing the ball amongst your team to get beyond opponents, rather than dribbling, head down, until you lost the ball or managed to smash your way through to a shot on goal, which is what the fine upstanding chaps at Eton and Harrow would do.

That first liberalisation of the offside rule dictated that there must be three members of the defending team between you and the goal line for you to be onside, which was subsequently reduced in the 1920s to the two defenders of the current rule.

(I've probably misremembered or otherwise mangled some of that, so apologies to Richard Sanders, from whose excellent book Beastly Fury most of the above is drawn.)

nonshinyfinish
Mind being at a game where Darren Jackson had to go in goals at Parkhead.

1996ish? Were we not 1-0 up at the time?

O'Rourke3
Goalie's feet on the deck and shoulder charge was allowed. Reliably informed Laurie Reilly was the master. 1 sub per game two was around 72. Cards introduced a couple of years after the 74 World Cup.
another experiment was no offside outside 20 yards in the League Cup. Garper spent the game on the new 20 yard line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nonshinyfinish
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Goalie's feet on the deck and shoulder charge was allowed. Reliably informed Laurie Reilly was the master. 1 sub per game two was around 72. Cards introduced a couple of years after the 74 World Cup.
another experiment was no offside outside 20 yards in the League Cup. Garper spent the game on the new 20 yard line.

I thought that was the Drybrough Cup, and the 18 yard line?

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 05:50 PM

I think I saw Arthur Duncan do this once.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 05:53 PM

It was.

ancient hibee
05-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Remember seeing Lawrie Reilly shoulder charging Curran(over 6 ft.in height) of East Fife into the net to I think put us 2-1 up in a League Cup semi at Tynecastle(it may have been an equaliser).However Hugh(ever after known as Han(d)s)Howie gave away two penalties and we were out as Don Emery scored both -if there hadn't been a net he would probably have killed somebody behind the goals.This was Reilly's first game of the season as he had a re-signing row with Harry Swan but Tommy Preston had been playing well as his deputy so Reilly had a change of mind!

When refs booked a player you often didn't know until it was mentioned in the papers.

Cropley10
05-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Well remembered!

IIRC, you would only know a player had been cautioned, because you saw the referee taking his name and a sending off was signalled by the ref pointing at the tunnel.

Is that right?

Yes. I'm sure you are. The cards obviously made it easier for TV to understand what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MM19
05-12-2013, 05:59 PM
I remember Peter Cormack going in goals for us think it was at Tynecastle maybe 0-0 not too sure about the score

Ronniekirk
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Ah the memories I was a Teenager when attended those two cup final wins in that competition and no offside suited our skill full players down to the ground.i thought that was how it would always be The innocence of youth.however it wasn't to be But once a Hibee always a Hibee

Peevemor
05-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I think I saw Arthur Duncan do this once.

Arthur Duncan replaced Jim McArthur in goal at Ibrox in a match we lost 3-2. He only let in one goal- from a corner immediately after going in. After that he did very well. Jackie Mac scored an OG from a 30yd passback in the same match.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Yes. I'm sure you are. The cards obviously made it easier for TV to understand what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

It wasn't aimed at TV as at the time.

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/Cards.htm

Gettin' Auld
05-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Keepers didn't even wear gloves if you go back a few years further. :wink:

I'm_cabbaged
05-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Do you "have" to have a keeper on the bench? Thought it was just having more subs? Or am I thinking of when they moved it up to any two from three subs?

O'Rourke3
05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
It was.

Turns out both competitions in 1973 and it was the 18 yd line

Sent from my brain via Tapatalk

Peevemor
05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
It wasn't aimed at TV as at the time.

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/Cards.htm

Was there not also a thing that originally yellow cards were rectangular with the reds being oval. Apparently it was to avoid the referee whipping the wrong card from his pocket (though their mandatory visual impairment may have had more to do with it).

HibeeMG
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Two questions....

The no-offside experiment in the Dryborough Cup, was it deemed a success?

Also, in that article posted above, it says that yellow and red cards weren't used in England between 1980 & 1988. I thought I would have known this but it's the first time I have. What did they do instead?

Peevemor
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Two questions....

The no-offside experiment in the Dryborough Cuop, was it deemed a success?

Also, in that article posted above, it says that yellow and red cards weren't used in England between 1980 & 1988. I thought I would have known this but it's the first time I have. What did they do insted?

Kicked lumps out of each other?

Cropley10
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Two questions....

Also, in that article posted above, it says that yellow and red cards weren't used in England between 1980 & 1988. I thought I would have known this but it's the first time I have. What did they do instead?

Players still got cautioned and sent off, it's just there weren't any 'cards' shown.

Hibbyradge himself provides a link to the explanation, nothing to do with TV.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
I remember Peter Cormack going in goals for us think it was at Tynecastle maybe 0-0 not too sure about the score

Finished 1-1.

Rene Moller for Hearts and Jim O'Rourke for Hibs

Was the final of the 1967/68 East of Scotland Shield

Crowd was over 14k and Hearts only scored after PC took over in goal

Drummer
05-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I remember when there were no subs , IIRC Hibs against motherwell old Leage cup semi at the PBS Willie Ormond and Alec Linwood both suffered a broken leg, Hibs lost 3-2 finished with 9 men.
Drummer

snooky
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Two questions....

IIRC, both sets of forwards stayed on the opponent's 18 yard line therefore the opposing defenders had to stay with them. The midfield players were left to run up and down the rest of the park until they dropped with exhaustion - not a pretty sight.
I guess you could say it wasn't a success. Worth a try though.

CA Hibby
05-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Keepers didn't even wear gloves if you go back a few years further. :wink:

Aaah the Peter Bonetti gloves yellow with the green B on the back, brings back memories

Posh Swanny
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
The pass-back rule is one that revolutionised the game - well done to the law-makers on that one.

However...

The constant tweaking of the offside law may make things "fairer" with regard to interfering with play and the like, but the amount of guess-work refs/linsmen need to do these days makes it almost impossible to officiate and gives managers, players and fans licence to bemoan and question perfectly correct of decisions. Should be all or nothing in my opinion - if you're offside you're offside, or get rid of it all together like they have done in hockey (with no goal-hanging side-effects I might add!)

The introduction of a mind-reading element to the handball is a bit of a pi$$er for referees too. Being honest, how many handballs are truly "deliberate"?

lapsedhibee
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
The introduction of a mind-reading element to the handball is a bit of a pi$$er for referees too. Being honest, how many handballs are truly "deliberate"?

Only Suarez's. All other handballs in the history of football were just one of them things, but Suarez should have been banned sine die for his dirty cheating.

God Petrie
06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
1996ish? Were we not 1-0 up at the time?

Aye lost 2-1. Parkhead was getting redeveloped and we had a wee strip at the end of the new stand.

Arch Stanton
06-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Even before the recent passive vs. active stuff, the history of the offside rule is fascinating. The change from the rugby-style 'offside if you're ahead of the ball' rules of various public school proto-football codes was critical in the development of football as we recognise it. Equally interesting is the contemporary reaction to the 'ungentlemanly' and 'sneaky' tactics of passing the ball amongst your team to get beyond opponents, rather than dribbling, head down, until you lost the ball or managed to smash your way through to a shot on goal, which is what the fine upstanding chaps at Eton and Harrow would do.

That first liberalisation of the offside rule dictated that there must be three members of the defending team between you and the goal line for you to be onside, which was subsequently reduced in the 1920s to the two defenders of the current rule.

(I've probably misremembered or otherwise mangled some of that, so apologies to Richard Sanders, from whose excellent book Beastly Fury most of the above is drawn.)

I thought that the offside rule only came in to football in the 60's to stop the bundling the goalie into the net! The way I heard it, Billy Houliston's (QoS cantre forward) only skill was to stand next to the goalie and try and get goals that way when the ball was hoofed up to him!

lapsedhibee
06-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Do you "have" to have a keeper on the bench? Thought it was just having more subs? Or am I thinking of when they moved it up to any two from three subs?

You don't have to. Jagielka went in goals against Arsenal last year because Sheffield U didn't have a sub goalie.

http://outfieldersingoal.tumblr.com/

nonshinyfinish
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I thought that the offside rule only came in to football in the 60's to stop the bundling the goalie into the net! The way I heard it, Billy Houliston's (QoS cantre forward) only skill was to stand next to the goalie and try and get goals that way when the ball was hoofed up to him!

My understanding is that the offside rule has always existed in football (with the exception of the 'Sheffield rules' of the mid-19th century), and has been gradually liberalised in favour of the attacker.

Hibbyradge
08-12-2013, 10:38 PM
It used to be the rule that a goal kick had to be taken from the side the ball went out.

Keepers used to be able to waste a load of time by trying to take the kick from the wrong side only to be moved back by the ref.

Remember?

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2013, 11:12 PM
You don't see a drop ball these days, you used to get some fantastic meaty challenges when there was. :greengrin

hibbeedavid
09-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I can remember Graham Mitchell going in goals v Dundee circa 1993 when Chris Reid broke his leg, we got thumped 1-3/4 I'm sure

And I agree the addition of the passback rule has been a success, I can still remember everyone's surprise when the tannoy announcer explained the new rules ahead of the Anderlecht game at ER!

It's amazing to look back and see the chaos that rule caused in its first season or 2 when you see programmes such as Premiership Years on Sky Sports

RyeSloan
09-12-2013, 09:50 AM
It used to be the rule that a goal kick had to be taken from the side the ball went out. Keepers used to be able to waste a load of time by trying to take the kick from the wrong side only to be moved back by the ref. Remember?

Good one...had forgotten about that. Was a classic time wasting tactic.

nonshinyfinish
09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
You don't see a drop ball these days, you used to get some fantastic meaty challenges when there was. :greengrin

You still see lots of drop balls, it's just very rare to see one that's actually competed. They usually happen when the ref has stopped the game for a head injury or similar, so one player kicks it back to the other team.

As far as I know the rules surrounding them haven't changed.

I do enjoy a competitive drop ball though - the players have tacit approval to aim a couple of kicks at each other. I vaguely recall Scott Brown being involved in one for us, but I can't remember the circumstances.