PDA

View Full Version : Uefa chief wants sin-bin over yellow cards

Hibs90
05-12-2013, 12:14 PM
European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.
"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.
"It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

So, what do we think then?

yekimevol
05-12-2013, 12:19 PM
No.:yw:

J-C
05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Great idea, will cut out all the needless stupid yellow cards you see in the game, players will think twice before they put in a silly challenge or mouth off to the ref.

frazeHFC
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
No. Just mistiming a challenge on the edge of the box, lose a free-kick and normally a yellow. For that player to then miss 15 minutes is rubbish. Don't even like egg chasing so keep our own rules imo.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.
"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.
"It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

Imagine giving this power to Thomson in a Derby. What happens with 10-15 mins left in a game...? Defenders allow the Yams to waltz through them?

lord bunberry
05-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I think it's a great idea, it means the team that the offence was committed against gets the benefit of the punishment.

StevieT
05-12-2013, 12:31 PM
No way. I hope he can explain how a referee who is on his / her own (no assistants or fourth official) can keep track of who is in the sin bin and how long they gave been there.

#FromTheCapital
05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
If its not broken, don't try to fix it

smack
05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
and what would happen in a derby game where you get 4 or 5 players booked. Doe sth egame get abandoned if they are all off at the same time?

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
There's a disparity between Rugby and Football in terms of infringements that attract a yellow card. Does this mean suspensions would still be dished out too or would they be done away with?

Leighonel
05-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Not a good idea for football. Not much of a rugby fan but from what ive seen there arent as many cards given out in rugby. The amount of yellows in some games could result in teams goung down to 8 or 9 men.

Northernhibee
05-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Think of the power that'd give the like of yam cheat ******* Thomson.

No chance.

BonnieFitbaTeam
05-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Not a good idea for football. Not much of a rugby fan but from what ive seen there arent as many cards given out in rugby. The amount of yellows in some games could result in teams goung down to 8 or 9 men.

8 or 9 ? It would be 8 or 9 a side most weeks. Some games could end up 6 a side, or farcically 10 against 6 (for example). There are far too many yellow card offences for this to work.

Yet another attempt to remove tackling from the game ?

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I think you could modify it to ensure that that player was out of the game - subbing him for 15mins maybe?

I like the idea of being punished in the game in which the offence occurred.

Nightmare for grassroots refs though

leggeto
05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
A power play like in ice hockey,sounds like great fun

MartinfaePorty
05-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Surely it couldn't be fair that the offence Cairney received his first yellow for should be punished in the same way as the assualt on Harris that has put him out for months?

I've been advocating a sin-bin for years, but only for offences that fall somewhere between a yellow and a red card. By this I mean where a sending off might be deemed too harsh e.g. handball on the line, continuous minor transgressions or for those ones where we all say 'it could have either been a red or a yellow'. At least if the ref makes a mistake, it won't have as much an affect on the game and if they should have been sent off, well at least they were off the pitch for a while.

I guess one issue would be what happens if the incident occurs in the last few minutes of a game? Carrying it over to the next game would help another team (although this happens with red cards now), so suppose they might have to get more disciplinary points added than someone who completed their sin bin time. Any rugger / ice hockey fans out there know what happens in those sports?

Juice-Terry
05-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Not broken. No need to fix. Reeks of another Platini attempt to make his (*****y) mark on the game. Euro 2016 anyone?

Mellow Hibee
05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I doubt Platini spends much time watching Scottish football but until there's a general level of competence among refs this would be a nightmare.

There are already too many red card decisions which are incorrect, the yellows tend to go unnoticed but if they became potentially game changing then they would be put under scrutiny and all hell would break loose.

monktonharp
05-12-2013, 01:52 PM
No. Just mistiming a challenge on the edge of the box, lose a free-kick and normally a yellow. For that player to then miss 15 minutes is rubbish. Don't even like egg chasing so keep our own rules imo.

I like the idea. 10mins would be good. it would cut out cynical challenges, ryan Stevenson and I dare say the Italians would not like it:wink:

frazeHFC
05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the idea. 10mins would be good. it would cut out cynical challenges, ryan Stevenson and I dare say the Italians would not like it:wink:

Nope, their games would turn into 5 a side. :tee hee:

Thecat23
05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Rugby is very different to football. Ref's in Rugby aren't anywhere near as football refs. How many yellow cards get fired out compared to football yellows. If we done this then we wouldn't be booking players for silly fouls but more serious ones. Reds would then occur if it's a shocking challenge leg breaker or you fight.

hibs4thecup1988
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
A power play like in ice hockey,sounds like great fun

This would be better in my view. 10 minutes if far too long.

I would say 3 or 4 minutes. Player goes to warm up behind goal etc and comes back on.

Hibee87
05-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I like this idea but would change it slightly, funily enough we were talking about it on Monday at work.

I think if you recieve 2 bookable offences in a game then a 15 min sin bin is a fair punishment. only time a player should be off is for a straight red offence. so although the desicions were wrong r.e cairney, it would seem more fair to punish him for 15 min as apposed to a red card imo

NGP
05-12-2013, 02:27 PM
No.

No need for it.

My main objection is the inconsistancy in the game. Evey week we see players getting booked, when an oposition player who does the same thing does not get booked. If refs can't get that right week in - week out, there is no way could a sin bin be a fair system. One team in each game will always get an advantage, rightly or wrongly.

The punishment of a yellow card and a free kick is fine.

SanFranHibs
05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
You are taking away the right to appeal. No point in appealing if you have already been reduced to 10 men and the other team have scored.

May not be a lot of yellows and reds overturned but there are some.

In my opinion it would not improve the game one bit. 2 yellows and the player is already off and if one yellow is not enough to send someone off why should it suddenly be enough now, even if for 10-15 minutes?

Keep off the wine Platini, or take up rugby!

Geo_1875
05-12-2013, 02:33 PM
I like this idea but would change it slightly, funily enough we were talking about it on Monday at work.

I think if you recieve 2 bookable offences in a game then a 15 min sin bin is a fair punishment. only time a player should be off is for a straight red offence. so although the desicions were wrong r.e cairney, it would seem more fair to punish him for 15 min as apposed to a red card imo

But this leaves it up to the referees discretion and open to abuse.

Rugby has a sin-bin system but at the highest levels they also have video referees who watch the game and report incidents.

It should never be brought near football.

lord bunberry
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
You are taking away the right to appeal. No point in appealing if you have already been reduced to 10 men and the other team have scored.

May not be a lot of yellows and reds overturned but there are some.

In my opinion it would not improve the game one bit. 2 yellows and the player is already off and if one yellow is not enough to send someone off why should it suddenly be enough now, even if for 10-15 minutes?

Keep off the wine Platini, or take up rugby!

As far as I'm aware there's no appeal for a yellow card, so none are ever overturned. At least with 10mins in the sin bin your not going to miss future games for a refereeing error.

SanFranHibs
05-12-2013, 02:58 PM
As far as I'm aware there's no appeal for a yellow card, so none are ever overturned. At least with 10mins in the sin bin your not going to miss future games for a refereeing error.

but 2 yellows make a red. Can't they be appealed? Or is it only straight reds?

Frankly i think the idea of power play like hockey is not a good comparison. 11 v 10 for several miniutes is nothing like being short handed at ice hockey. Also, players might be more inclined to commit fouls if they know the penalty is a couple of minutes in the sin bin.

what exactly is Platini trying to fix?

Baader
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Stupid idea. Would leave us even further at the mercy of incompetent referees who hand out bookings like Coco the Clown does sweeties anyway...

And what if there's a mass brawl? Going to have 4 v 5 on the pitch for a time? Leave it be!

Pray4Marc
05-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Would make it a lot easier for Thomson to cheat us. Imagine Hugh Dallas was around if this was implemented. Anyone playing rangers would finish the game with no players.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Stupid idea. Would leave us even further at the mercy of incompetent referees who hand out bookings like Coco the Clown does sweeties anyway...

And what if there's a mass brawl? Going to have 4 v 5 on the pitch for a time? Leave it be!

Alan rough the only goalie to score a hat trick against rangers ? That game would have been abandoned as Rangers couldn't have restarted the match ;)

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 04:06 PM
If its not broken, don't try to fix it

Not broken. No need to fix.

If everyone took this approach, we'd all still be using abacuses to count with! :wink:

It's not about fixing something, it's about improvement.

This idea is worth piloting, imo.

lord bunberry
05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
but 2 yellows make a red. Can't they be appealed? Or is it only straight reds?

Frankly i think the idea of power play like hockey is not a good comparison. 11 v 10 for several miniutes is nothing like being short handed at ice hockey. Also, players might be more inclined to commit fouls if they know the penalty is a couple of minutes in the sin bin.

what exactly is Platini trying to fix?

Its only a straight red that can be appealed.
I doubt that just any yellow card would mean 10 mins in the sin bin, like someone said earlier it would work for some offences that are marginally between a red and yellow. I've always thought that a tackle that denies a goal scoring oportunity shouldn't always mean a straight red. The falkirk player who was sent off against the rangers on saturday was clearly trying to win the ball, but he ended conceding a penalty and being sent off. That seems very harsh to me

Dinkydoo
05-12-2013, 04:50 PM
"Teams left with only 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 players...."

How many times a season do we see more than two yellow cards handed out at once?

I don't really like the idea but most the arguments against it on here seem just as ludicrous.

Northernhibee
05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
"Sin binned for being ugly" just quite isn't the same, is it?

#FromTheCapital
05-12-2013, 05:14 PM
If everyone took this approach, we'd all still be using abacuses to count with! :wink:

It's not about fixing something, it's about improvement.

This idea is worth piloting, imo.

Are you telling me there is another counting device available these days? :greengrin

In all seriousness I don't think this approach would improve the game, it would change a lot but not necessarily improve it. I honestly think it would create more problems, especially in Scotland where the standard of refereeing is shocking to say the least.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Are you telling me there is another counting device available these days? :greengrin

whisper ** slide rules ** :greengrin

In all seriousness I don't think this approach would improve the game, it would change a lot but not necessarily improve it. I honestly think it would create more problems, especially in Scotland where the standard of refereeing is shocking to say the least.

We won't know unless it's trialled somewhere.

I remember all the rule changes around the pass back and the keeper's steps etc being brought in.

Fans and media pundits were united in their opposition.

In fact, it's been one of the best advances in the rules, but we would never have known if it hadn't been tested.

weonlywon6-2
05-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Theres good reasons for and against it. For it would hopefully make players behave better on the pitch and could make things competitive
If a team lost a player it could make it more exciting

Against, you could end up with several off both teams at once which would kill the game and the players would just play things tight which would be unfair on the fans.
Would also highlight players in a bad way if they were sin binned in say a derby and your team lost because of it.

--------
05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I think you could modify it to ensure that that player was out of the game - subbing him for 15mins maybe?

I like the idea of being punished in the game in which the offence occurred.

Nightmare for grassroots refs though

Aye, I can just see this working in the West Lothian Juniors. Gonnae need cages.

http://www.stakrak.co.uk/images/mobile_mesh_cage.jpg

Sir David Gray
05-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Nope, no thanks.

As others have said, yellow cards are a rarity in rugby, whereas in football there could be about 5 or 6 during the 90 minutes. It would be a farce.

snooky
05-12-2013, 05:51 PM
No. There's enough stoppages in the game as it is.

MWHIBBIES
05-12-2013, 06:08 PM
What happens if the keeper get sin binned?

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
What happens if the keeper get sin binned?

Before there had to be a substitute keeper on the bench, an outfield player used to go in goals if there was an injury or sending off.

Some players used to become heroes because of their performance between the sticks!

Sigh, those were the days.

(This is one for the rule change thread too!)

Northernhibee
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Before there had to be a substitute keeper on the bench, an outfield player used to go in goals if there was an injury or sending off.

Some players used to become heroes because of their performance between the sticks!

(This is one for the rule change thread too!)

Was it Duncan Shearer who replaced Jim Leighton in goals for Aberdeen in the Scottish cup final one year? I mind his first involvement was a cracking save to tip a rocket of a shot onto the crossbar.

Cropley10
05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Surely this should apply to the 'orange' card offence (and I don't mean the masons/Orange Order) but the card that's not a red, but isn't a yellow either.

The point of a yellow card is it's a caution, what's the point in sending someone off for 15 mins, for a mis-timed tackle? How is that equitable.

Like i say where a yellow is too soft and a red too harsh, the sin bin would work.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Not against change for the better but can't see this improving things unless of course it meant doing away with the associated penalty points that lead to suspension.

One change I do think would improve the game is that when a player is fouled and needs treatment, thereby leaving the field of play, the player committing the foul should also go off until the injured player returns. As it stands the side being disadvantaged is the team whose player has been fouled

The Godfather
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM
What about an additional colour card, in between yellow and red. For those offence that seem not harsh enough for a red but more than a yellow. Or for a card that punishes the team & player but not ruins the game. An example of this working could have been used at the weekend with Paul Cairney (forget whether it was right or wrong decision) but the second booking meant he was off. However, did it really merit a sending off? If the additional card was in place he could have been sent to the bench for 10mins. Red should only be there for the most serious offences, let's think how many times have we said 'that red card was a bit harsh'? Trouble is at time refs have nowhere else to go and not all sending offs are the same level of seriousness. They are also using a subjective view point whilst implementing an objective rule. Meaning that we constantly here 'by the letter of the law' even when we know the law can be unfair.

hfc rd
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Would make it a lot easier for Thomson to cheat us. Imagine Hugh Dallas was around if this was implemented. Anyone playing rangers would finish the game with no players.

This. Don't want this sin bin thing at all.

mca
05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Not against change for the better but can't see this improving things unless of course it meant doing away with the associated penalty points that lead to suspension.

One change I do think would improve the game is that when a player is fouled and needs treatment, thereby leaving the field of play, the player committing the foul should also go off until the injured player returns. As it stands the side being disadvantaged is the team whose player has been fouled

Thank You Jonnyboy .. I was going to write the same things.. the penalty points system is unfair and the treatment rule of having to leave the field while the culprit stays on is unfair as well... :agree:

Nailrod
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
(This is one for the rule change thread too!)I'm sure Peter Cormack once saved a penalty for Hibs in the days before you had replacement keepers.
(Jonnyboy...?)

Hibs7
06-12-2013, 10:54 AM

This makes sense, and he could be sent there again if he commits 2 more bookable fouls, that might make players think before doing the stupid things, but won't stop the rash tackles.

GlenrothesHibee
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Platini lost his marbles years ago

Geo_1875
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
What would happen if you already had 4 players from the same team sitting in the sinbin? The referee couldn't send another 1 there as you need 7 players for the game to continue. Or do we change that rule as well?

Gettin' Auld
06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
The only way the 'sin bin' system for yellow cards might work, would be if he was replaced by one of his teams subs while he was off the pitch, to keep things as 11 v 11.

Jonnyboy
06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm sure Peter Cormack once saved a penalty for Hibs in the days before you had replacement keepers.
(Jonnyboy...?)

Sorry Nailrod, I've no recollection of that

Viva_Palmeiras
06-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Sorry Nailrod, I've no recollection of that

Found this on (never wrong for long) tinternet ...
(Source Hibs.net Archives http://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-224636.html)

Hibees1173
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Scoop, it depends what you consider to be in your lifetime. I know you are older than me, so late 60s is within timeframe. I recall Peter Cormack having to go into goal at PBS and saving a pen. Can anyone out there fill in the blanks?

So unless Nailrod is Hibees1173 in a former life two gadgies at least are of the same mind...

Jonnyboy
06-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Found this on (never wrong for long) tinternet ...
(Source Hibs.net Archives http://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-224636.html)

Hibees1173
05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Scoop, it depends what you consider to be in your lifetime. I know you are older than me, so late 60s is within timeframe. I recall Peter Cormack having to go into goal at PBS and saving a pen. Can anyone out there fill in the blanks?

So unless Nailrod is Hibees1173 in a former life two gadgies at least are of the same mind...

Nope, I was wrong then. It happens :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Nope, I was wrong then. It happens :greengrin

Having said that It appears you can also search bits of his autobiography and I don't think that featured (at least not from the search I performed) so maybe it's a false memory from a parallel universe - the truth is out there ... ;)

Dinkydoo
06-12-2013, 11:26 PM
What would happen if you already had 4 players from the same team sitting in the sinbin? The referee couldn't send another 1 there as you need 7 players for the game to continue. Or do we change that rule as well?

Four players in the same team yellow carded all within 15 minutes, hardly a frequent occurrence.......