PDA

View Full Version : How important are the Hibees in your life?

hibs0666
04-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Interested in seeing how dedicted to the cause we are as a group. :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I never bothered voting for one particular choice as over the years there have been times when I'd have fallen into numerous of the categories.

southern hibby
04-12-2013, 06:58 PM
If I was to say you can always get another wife but not another Hibs it wouldn't even come close. GGTTH

NOLA
04-12-2013, 07:01 PM
other things are more important if im 100% honest.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I never bothered voting for one particular choice as over the years there have been times when I'd have fallen into numerous of the categories.

This. :agree:

hibees 7062
04-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I used to think it was between Hibs and my wife , then i left her and realised nothing has changed

yeezus.
04-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I wish I could get to more Hibs games but living in Stranraer and working the odd Saturday night make it really difficult.

Pretty Boy
04-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Same for me.

hibeemikey21
04-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Exactly the same for me.

Can never fully understand how some folk get so distressed/enraged about a bunch of blokes of a similar age playing football.

Remember leaving the Ross county quarter replay where we lost in injury time and witnessing a man in his 40s booting a portaloo and in floods of tears. Not for me. Much more to life.

Love the good times, but can just laugh off the bad moments (you have to as a hibee)

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Only 1 option for me there.....

Gustavo Fring
04-12-2013, 07:46 PM
other things are more important , infact most things are more important .. but if i have the choice to spend a saturday with the wife and kids , or goin to easter road , the hibees win every time :flag:

bod
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Only 1 option for me there.....

the last 1 ?

Ronniekirk
04-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Everyone could say that I know in my teens it was the first one as travelled everywhere and often put hibs games above most thingsAs you mature and have family finances can dictate you can't then do that .However I could of paid off my mortgage years ago if I totted up what have spent on following hibs .Anyone who has read Fever Pitch will empathise with the authors views I can remember hibs scores related to when important things happened and family died They are always there and you have to take the rough with the smooth But while I would put myself in family comes first am sure my wife wouldn't agree

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
the last 1 ?

Nearly.......:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
04-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Same for me.

Yes, waiting for the "all of the above" option.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-12-2013, 08:26 PM
I've always supported Hibs but came to watching them from the terrace relatively late at 17.
I also played rugby so was surprised just how deeply I cared for the club.

In 1990 my father passed suddenly in April and within a few months Hibs went through their darkest hour the knot in my stomach felt the same. The thought of losing Hibs was unbearable - that feeling caught me by surprised as I was not indoctrinated - my father was a rugby man but were 5/6 generation Leithers so must be in the genes...

I spent almost 10 years in London and would do anything to catch up with Hibs news (even buy the Daily Record as The Scotsman was only available in a couple of places. Then came the Hibs List, Erin Hibs/web Rivals and Hibs.net The advent of the internet my obsessions only got worse.

Whilst you get some sense of the size of our club from the net it was meeting folks from London Hibs - Brian, Kevin, Alex and Pat that It registered how big we are and how fanatically loyal our support can be. More recently I've also had the pleasure of meeting folks through LWT and Hibs.net, the Community Foundation that has brought me even closer to the club.

My Wife hates it ;) although it if hadn't of been for London Hibs and John Collins scoring that penalty I wouldn't have met her so it's not all bad (is it?)

Killiehibbie
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Other things in my life are now more important. I just can't justify the time it costs to go every week.

jdships
04-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Exactly as it is for me :thumbsup:.
Over the last 73 years I have had a " roller coaster" ride of pleasure and despair but it has never teken over my life
Will alwys be eternally grateful to the " Famous Five" for providing the entetainment and success in the 40/50's - unforgetable time :top marks
Since then it has been , as I said , a "Roller Coaster"

Hermit Crab
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I've always supported Hibs but came to watching them from the terrace relatively late at 17.

In 1990 my father passed suddenly in April and within a few months Hibs went through their darkest hour the knot in my stomach felt the same. The thought of losing Hibs was unbearable - that feeling caught me by surprised as I was not indoctrinated - my father was a rugby man but were 5/6 generation Leithers so must be in the genes...

I spent almost 10 years in London and would do anything to catch up with Hibs news (even buy the Daily Record as The Scotsman was only available in a couple of places. Then came the Hibs List, Erin Hibs/web Rivals and Hibs.net The advent of the internet my obsessions only got worse.

Whilst you get some sense of the size of our club from the net it was meeting folks from London Hibs - Brian, Kevin, Alex and Pat that It registered how big we are and how fanatically loyal our support can be. More recently I've also had the pleasure of meeting folks through LWT and Hibs.net, the Community Foundation that has brought me even closer to the club.

My Wife hates it ;) although it if hadn't of been for London Hibs and John Collins scoring that penalty I wouldn't have met her so it's not all bad (is it?)

Interesting story?

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2013, 08:48 PM
[/B]

Interesting story?

Hazard a guess at Scotland v Brazil in 1998, and his wife is Brazilian?

Hermit Crab
04-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Yes because its blatantly obvious right enough. :rolleyes:

Sergey
04-12-2013, 08:55 PM

[/B]

Interesting story?

Howdy bud - I too was at said match in Wells Street and I think we bought each other a few beers. We've met again since (I'm not one of the aforementioned reprobates in your post - I'm worse :greengrin)

The next time you're in London, get yourself to Quinn's for some top notch scran.

Hermit Crab
04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Howdy bud - I too was at said match in Wells Street and I think we bought each other a few beers. We've met again since (I'm not one of the aforementioned reprobates in your post - I'm worse :greengrin)

The next time you're in London, get yourself to Quinn's for some top notch scran.

Good evening sir.

Baldy Foghorn
04-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes because its blatantly obvious right enough. :rolleyes:

I won't use you as my phone a friend then........:greengrin

Hermit Crab
04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
I won't use you as my phone a friend then........:greengrin

:tee hee:

Seekyit
04-12-2013, 10:35 PM
In life there are other priorities but strangely Hibs remain a concern/love..

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Hadn't realised we'd met Sergey! Turns out the London Hibs meeting venue of 98 (The Holyrood) was the local of The Callan School of English hence OUR pub being bedecked with Brazilian colours...

Viva_Palmeiras
05-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Correct - a bit of a clue is in the name Hermit. Penalty scored, Scotsman in kilt celebrates in front of Brazilians in bar and catches the eye of future wife ("I don't know what your name is but I know what your bum looks like" ;))

Scouse Hibee
05-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Couldn't really decide on any of the options, my perspective on how important football was to me was changed for ever in 89. The passion to go to matches is as strong as ever, the effect the result has on me has dimmed over the years.

frazeHFC
05-12-2013, 03:03 PM
I do kinda 'live and breathe Hibs', every day I can't wait for the next game, my next one is Celtic due to exams but already counting down the days. Only reason I never put that is because family does come first, but only if it's really really important. :greengrin

heretoday
05-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Not as important as they used to be, I'm afraid. It's got something to do with married life providing more pressing things to do on a weekend than watch football and drink loads of beer!

Backto my roots
05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Not as important as they used to be, I'm afraid. It's got something to do with married life providing more pressing things to do on a weekend than watch football and drink loads of beer!

Is that pressing or depressing things to do :wink:

TamHibs
05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Hibs come 2nd but only to my little boy, otherwise the wife usually gets told to bolt if it comes down to a choice between her & Hibs

Hibercelona
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Some things are more important in life to me. Although, for some people, Hibs are all they have.

Baker9
05-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Hibs are the most important of my life's less important things.
(With acknowledgment to the Italian manager who said this about football).

snooky
05-12-2013, 05:54 PM

:agree: me 2

weonlywon6-2
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
In my teens and twenties i lived and breathed hibs but as marriage kids and work came along i wasnt able to see them as much.
I sometimes wish we had won something in the 80s cause i would have gone crazy.
Dont get to see them so often now but be rest assured im just as passionate as i was before and still get up or down depending on the result.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 06:12 PM
There are loads more things important to me than Hibs, like my wife, my health, work and friends, but I do actively take an interest in goings on at Easter Road.

I love it when we win, I get excited by the prospect of good players signing for us and I enjoy taking part in discussions about the club on here.

Of course I've been pissed off from time to time and I don't go to as many games as I used to, but if they were to go to the wall, I'd be devastated.

That makes option 3 the minimum I could vote for. So I did.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2013, 06:16 PM

This. :agree:

Same for me.

Yes, waiting for the "all of the above" option.

How important are they currently? Isn't that what the question is seeking to establish?

WestEndHibee
05-12-2013, 06:21 PM
An important hobby for me. I reckon I could never stop being a Hibee but say I had a job opportunity away from Edinburgh, I wouldn't generally consider Hibs in my decision.

WestEndHibee
05-12-2013, 06:23 PM
There are loads more things important to me than Hibs, like my wife, my health, work and friends, but I do actively take an interest in goings on at Easter Road.

I love it when we win, I get excited by the prospect of good players signing for us and I enjoy taking part in discussions about the club on here.

Of course I've been pissed off from time to time and I don't go to as many games as I used to, but if they were to go to the wall, I'd be devastated.

That makes option 3 the minimum I could vote for. So I did.

This is exactly where I place myself and exactly how I feel about the cabbage.

.Sean.
05-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Changes almost weekly, not as important as they were say 3 or 4 years ago but the passion's still there. Quite a bit has changed over the last few years but Hibs have remained the one constant and I can't see that ever changing. Really starting to get the bug back big time though, great feeling and long may it continue!

Jonnyboy
05-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Some things are more important in life to me. Although, for some people, Hibs are all they have.

How dramatic. Do you know such people? :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
05-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Its a hard one this. I voted for the second option because I would be kidding myself if I had chosen 'Hibs are an important hobby'

From my point of view its not so much about living and breathing Hibs because the implication of that choice is that Hibs come before family or friends .... they dont, no football club should.

But apart from that Hibs are very very important in my life and have had a pretty big influence on it. Following the club has not only cemented my relationship with my best friend over more than 3 decades, it has forged other friendships which will last a lifetime.

Over the years Hibs have given me small periods of utter joy and many periods of utter despair and yes I have shed tears over them on a couple of occasions. But through my whole adult life they have been the one constant through many periods of personal trials and tribulations .... in fact, caring so much about something outside of family and friends is probably good for you, provided it is kept in its proper place.

Thats probably why no matter how rank Hibs might be and no matter for how long I will always be a supporter who goes to games. For me it can never be a case of how good or bad my club is, its just my club for better or worse.

Islington Hibs
05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Exactly as it is for me :thumbsup:.
Over the last 73 years I have had a " roller coaster" ride of pleasure and despair but it has never teken over my life
Will alwys be eternally grateful to the " Famous Five" for providing the entetainment and success in the 40/50's - unforgetable time :top marks
Since then it has been , as I said , a "Roller Coaster"

Wow 73 years. Can I be so rude to ask have you attended games for 73 seasons? If so congratulations and commiserations in equal measure!!!! My first season was 1975 although not properly until the 1980's.

Sir David Gray
05-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Hibs are one of the most important things in my life.

However the club doesn't come before family. I can't see anyone, if they're being serious, choosing their football club ahead of their family.

The club's a huge part of who I am though and if I was asked to describe myself, one of the ways I would choose to do that would be to say I was a Hibs supporter.

mca
05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
If its a choice between Wife or going to the game.. I usually just ask if I can get a quickie before i go :greengrin

hibbeedavid
06-12-2013, 05:03 AM
Hibs are a huge part of my life, however that has probably decreased a little in last 3/4 years, still attend all home games and have a ST but I go to very few away games, a combination of reasons, firstly entering into married life and financial reasons with now having a mortgage and also just not really wanting to go and watch the eye-bleeding football dished up by the likes of Calderwood and Fenlon. Very disillusioned as to how things have been since about 2010ish, Hibs are that girl you love unconditionally but who constantly lets you down despite promising they won't and you keep taking them back and giving them another chance, knowing deep down in your heart you'll be left heartbroken again soon!

IWasThere2016
06-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Two definites in my life - I'll die and I'll die a Hibby!

Off to ER this week - cannae wait :thumbsup:

GlenrothesHibee
06-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Don't get to as much games as i'd like due to work and family commitments but the Hibs result still makes or breaks my weekend. Like family, there is an emotional attatchment to the club we support so Hibs are a huge part of my life.

Moon unit
06-12-2013, 08:19 AM
As a boy grew up in Merseyside,Peter Cormack became a firm favourite with me at Anfield... Moved to Edinburgh 26 years ago....only 1 team I could follow - Hibernian...not saying it's been easy mind but they are in the blood win lose or draw!...my religion is Liverbernian!
:flag:

Geo_1875
06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
I've supported Hibs over 50 years. During that time I've lost contact with very close friends, fallen out with family members and cut off contact. I've ended relationships with people I thought I loved. I've dropped hobbies and sports that I thought were important. Fashions have come and gone. The only constant has been Hibs. I've not always attended games on a regular basis as I thought other priorities should be followed but I've always come back.