PDA

View Full Version : Cologne Germany - any suggestions.

pacorosssco
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Going for long weekend, week after next. Anyone been/suggestions?

Hibrandenburg
04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Don't order "Alt" beer.

hibby rae
04-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't order "Alt" beer.

I thought Alt beer was just Dusseldorf? Quite like it.

Hibrandenburg
04-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I thought Alt beer was just Dusseldorf? Quite like it.

That's the point, it's like going into your local Nazi party office and ordering a bagel without pork.

SneakersO'Toole
04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Go to ponchos for a steak. One of the best I've ever had.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Brauhaus Fruh is pretty much outside the Dom, well worth a visit.

Theres quite a few different bars around the Barbarossaplatz area.

Wrap up warm, I was there round about this time of year a couple of years ago it was a tad chilly!

pacorosssco
05-12-2013, 06:06 PM
cheers for the suggestions. more are welcome. knew about alt beer. ive been Dusseldorf a few times. think its similar weather to here in clog land

Holmesdale Hibs
06-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Women there are stunning so if you're single then you're in for a treat. Cologne is not a particularly beautiful city but it's a great place to go out. Plenty of good bars and restaurants and everyone we met was really friendly and didn't mind speaking English. If it was summer time, I'd recommend a cycle down the river towards Bonn.

Maybe worth trying a football game? I went to a German second division game once and the atmosphere was amazing. It was standing and you could buy a pint, not sure if that's still the case.

Frazerbob
06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Depending on who you are traveling with, you may or may not wish to visit Pascha Nightclub (nothing to do with Pacha of Ibiza fame). A few years ago it was 25 euro entrance then a free bar. The "entertainment" was optional. Not to be confused with the brothel next door, which goes by the same name and is the biggest in Europe. :wink:

pacorosssco
11-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Love the last two posts but the good lady coming along . Dont suppose any ideas for Hibs game. Being Smeltic maybe a chance?

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
This place might be worth a try. (http://www.thecorkonian.com/)

Stopped off in here on the way to the RW Essen v Hibs game back in '05.

Some of our Germany based fans might be able to help you out re a tv channel for the game.

pacorosssco
11-12-2013, 10:57 PM
This place might be worth a try. (http://www.thecorkonian.com/)

Stopped off in here on the way to the RW Essen v Hibs game back in '05.

Some of our Germany based fans might be able to help you out re a tv channel for the game.

good man thanks. ive sent them a mail. living in holland though im used to this. HIbs game is on till 4 Norwich fans turn up looking to see their game. majority rules. or in my experience most irish bars hate scottish folks and love man u

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-12-2013, 12:43 AM
The pub is on the main square in Cologne, I think there may well be another couple of Irish pubs on The Alt Markt too.

One of them is called Barney Valley's. Its up a side street on the RH side if you are facing The Corkonian.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Going for long weekend, week after next. Anyone been/suggestions?

How has your trip been?

pacorosssco
16-12-2013, 06:09 PM
How has your trip been?

Magic thanks. Shattered will give a low down the morn goosed and on way home from woro. Beer the business

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-12-2013, 07:40 PM
That sounds about par for the course! :thumbsup: