PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian player OUT of Contract in the summer.... Who would you keep?!

DanHFC1875
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
All of these Hibernian FC players are free to speak to other Clubs in January.....
Who would you keep and who would you want to be shown the door? :bye:

McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell*
Mullen*
Handling*
Forster*
Horribine*
Grant*

*Under 23 eligible for training compensation.

I'd want Williams tied to a long term deal ASAP. Best keaper we have had in a good while. Probably the best since Daniel Anderson.

Thomson I would give another year, in my opinion is a defo.

Caldwell, yes. Handling, yes. Forster, yes.

Mullen*
Horribine* > undecided as I have not seen enough, if any of them.
Grant*

Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury > Goodbye from me :bye:
Vine
McPake

Cairney > undecided, if he can get a run of games and stay fit, he could win a new deal.

What does everyone else think??
Thoughts............?:confused:

dangermouse
04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
All of these Hibernian FC players are free to speak to other Clubs in January.....

McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell*
Mullen*
Handling*
Forster*
Horribine*
Grant*

*Under 23 eligible for training compensation.

I'd want Williams tied to a long term deal ASAP. Best keaper we have had in a good while. Probably the best since Daniel Anderson.

Thomson I would give another year, in my opinion is a defo.

Caldwell, yes. Handling, yes. Forster, yes.

Mullen*
Horribine* > undecided as I have not seen enough, if any of them.
Grant*

Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury > Goodbye from me :bye:
Vine
McPake

Cairney > undecided, if he can get a run of games and stay fit, he could win a new deal.

What does everyone else think??
Thoughts............?:confused:

Only ones I disagree with are Taiwo who I would keep and Mabury as part of the coaching staff. Of your undecided I've not seen much of them so they may get another year, Cairney I would keep. I'd be sad to see McPake and Clancy go but both are too injury prone. Vine has done little to impress me but may get a new lease of life from Big Terry. Unfortunately, he is the main target for the boo boys and may be best for all if he moved on unless he starts banging the goals in :greengrin

Wilson
04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Cut our losses on McPake and Clancy. Injury problems have blighted their Hibs careers. Enough is enough. If Thomson isn't going to be a starter under Butcher then he'll have to move on. Vine and Cairney need some big performances between now and the end of the season. I'd keep Williams and Handling fir sure.

Golden Bear
04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
My thoughts are that we should leave it to the Management as they are in the best position to know all the facts.

What we don't want is another player slagging thread which this will undoubtedly turn in to.

It's all positivity and negativity is oot the door. (for now anyway)

El Tel has spoken.

:flag:

CB_NO3
04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
I would keep Williams, Forster, Handling and Taiwo.

DanHFC1875
04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
My thoughts are that we should leave it to the Management as they are in the best position to know all the facts.

What we don't want is another player slagging thread which this will undoubtedly turn in to.

El Tel has spoken.

This isn't a player slagging thread.
This is a thread asking fans who they'd like to keep?
You could praise them all if you wish. :flag:

PeterboroHibee
04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell
Mullen
Handling
Forster
Horribine
Grant

The ones in bold I would keep (with the exception of Horribine and Grant who I know nothing about). I wasnt convinced about Handling, he never looked like a winger, but Butcher seems to favour him in that No.10 role and he seems to be coming onto a game!

Of that list to go, McPake and Clancy are far too injury prone to get new contracts, and Ive not been impressed with what Ive seen from Vine, Caldwell (Hearts goal aside) and Mullen so far, although I suppose there is always time for that to change. I like Maybury as a player but Id rather we had younger options for RB - I hope he stays as a coach though!!

kentao
04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell*
Mullen*
Handling*
Forster*
Horribine*
Grant*

Would keep the ones in Bold.

Out of the rest i think we could get far better players on our budget.

Liams
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Deano is a must!! Keep horribine

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I will go with whatever Butcher decides.

Greencore
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Williams, all the players with * and that's it for me

Heisenberg
04-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Williams, Handling and Forster are all ones I'd really want to stay and would be very disappointed if they were to go. Cairney and Caldwell are both maybes for me and I've not seen anything of Horribine or Grant. Maybury has once again been solid this season but there's obviously the question of him being able to do it for another full season as first choice. I'd say keep him in his coaching role and get a new right back in for next season. Mullen, Clancy, Vine, Mcpake can all go. Not fussed about Thomson either way.

DanHFC1875
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM

I will defo go with whatever Butcher decides.... However you must have an opinion of your own... Based on how you actually rate the players.
:cb

Hibstrooper
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm sure at the end of the latest interview with TB from HibernianTV the interviewer mentions that Forster has just signed a new deal and they then go on to talk about him for a minute or so.

heretoday
04-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I will defo go with whatever Butcher decides.... However you must have an opinion of your own... Based on how you actually rate the players.
:cb

I trust Butcher to make the right moves but personally I'd get rid of KT. I think his reputation has gone before him and we need a far more industrious type in there.

Bleeds green
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Mcpake has to go IMO I'm not itk but given the clamber by the fans (myself included) to sign him at the time when he was superb on loan I'd guess he's our highest paid player maybe on around 2-3k a week?? Imagine what that could get you in today's market with butchers pulling power at a bigger club than he's managed in scotland before!!

MrSmith
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Happy to go with the managers assessment and decisions re players in and out however, Maybury is a definite for me to stay on. He epitomises everything that is right about being a modern player, although at the end of his career, he is: a model pro, fit, skilful, thoughtful committed and puts in 100% effort when playing. Doesn't go right for him all the time but I really think he is good for the younger players and new players coming in in terms of the attributes listed above.

Gatecrasher
04-12-2013, 11:33 AM

McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell*
Mullen*
Handling*
Forster*
Horribine*
Grant*

the ones in bold for me

Clancy - hardly been off the treatment table
McPake - Too many injuries and not regained form (wish it had worked out)
Vine - Not good enough so far
Mullen - Not shown enough

If Caldwell can't pick up his form/progress that he had shown last season then he might go as well.

The rest are either starters or have the potential to be, or at least good cover IMO.

Ozyhibby
04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Given the problems we have had at right back and the fact that Mullen was unable to step up means he has to go.
Clancy and McPake as well.

southsider
04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back about young Harris being O of C in the summer but his name is not on the list. Just missed him out or has he signed an extention ?

leggeto
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Hard to say they will all have a new attitude to impress tb,but mcpake and Clancy with injury problems would maybe punt to free up some wage space for new arrivals

Steven_Hibs
04-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm sure at the end of the latest interview with TB from HibernianTV the interviewer mentions that Forster has just signed a new deal and they then go on to talk about him for a minute or so.

Really? Good news if true!

Northernhibee
04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney
Taiwo
Maybury
Handling*
Forster*
Horribine*
Grant*

Would keep the above.

Baker9
04-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I trust Butcher to make the right moves but personally I'd get rid of KT. I think his reputation has gone before him and we need a far more industrious type in there.

Butcher has gone on at some length about wanting player attributes such as attitude and energy. He is not likely to favour Thomson.

Vault Boy
04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

I heard that too and thought there would have been some sort of announcement, I hope it is the case.

Vault Boy
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Does Alex Harris have another year after this one?

Shaggy
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Williams is essential for me,
TB can sort out the rest

Billy Whizz
04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Need to lose a few, to get a few in

Jim44
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
I think Butcher recently said that he is hopeful that, after surgery to deal with his back problems, McPake will be part of his plans.

scoopyboy
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I think Butcher recently said that he is hopeful that, after surgery to deal with his back problems, McPake will be part of his plans.

You wouldn't expect him to say anything else though would you?

He's hardly going to say he's out irrespective of whether he gets the op or not.

bubblesmorrison
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Williams YES best keeper we have had in a long time.
Vine Let him play for a new contract and see if he has what it takes.
Thomson Yes let him sit in front of the defense and play his game.
Cairney no to much time spend on the injury table for me.
Taiwo see vine.
Maybury yes with a coaching role and still has it in him to be a squad player.
Handling* yes good talent when played in the right position.
Forster* Yes reminds me a lot of Johnathan Bailie(sp) and think he could turn into a key player for us.
Caldwell sport term and see if this lad can knuckle down and keep his head screwed on.
Horribine* Yes Coached him when he was 11 just before he moved into the academy system and for such a small lad he has a massive heart watch him develop as a player and I think he can also be a key player in future years.
Grant* shorter term extension but don't think I would fancy him as our number one if big Ben left or was injured.

Scooter
04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Williams is essential for me,
TB can sort out the rest

I would like to see handling and foster. How ever if only Williams and Harris stayed I wouldn't be bothered if the rest did

Andy74
04-12-2013, 03:21 PM

El Tel has spoken.

Who asked Terry Venables for his opinion? :confused:

steve75
04-12-2013, 03:29 PM

McPake
Williams
Vine
Thomson
Cairney*
Clancy
Taiwo
Maybury
Caldwell*
Mullen*
Handling
Forster
Horribine*
Grant*

I'd keep everyone in bold.

Unsure of the youngsters starred as they haven't shown enough and aren't exactly that young, all 20 going on 21. It's step up of ship out time for them.

Cairney was good, then terrible so just need to wait and see over the next few weeks what player we have.

I'd love the others to come good/prove fitness but just can't see it. Losing those three will free up a good chunk of wages and not affect the current squad in the slightest.

Hibercelona
04-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes Camp

Williams
Cairney
Forster
Handling
Taiwo

Hmmm Camp

Thomson
Maybury
Clancy
Grant
Horribine

No Camp

McPake
Mullen
Caldwell
Vine

WestEndHibee
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I would leave it to big Steve, he knows just by looking at a guy's left ear whether they will be a footballer or not.

In Marsella We Trust. :not worth.

frazeHFC
04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Out of that right now i'd only keep Forster, Williams, Handling and Taiwo. If Maybury keeps up his good form for the rest of the season think he would be deserving of a new contract too. Also undecided on Cairney, depends how he does for the rest of the season. Glad he's back though, thought he did well in Dingwall.

Fergus52
04-12-2013, 04:13 PM

:agree:.

A lot of posters are saying they'd get rid of Cairney, but going on the highlights from the Ross County game he looks pretty sharp again?

If he can re-discover his old form we'd be idiots letting him go

DanHFC1875
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
:agree:.

A lot of posters are saying they'd get rid of Cairney, but going on the highlights from the Ross County game he looks pretty sharp again?

If he can re-discover his old form we'd be idiots letting him go

I hope Cairney can get a run of games and prove his worth, like him, just been unlucky with injuries I'd say.

Bronson
04-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Yes Camp

Williams
Cairney
Forster
Handling
Taiwo

Hmmm Camp

Thomson
Maybury
Clancy
Grant
Horribine

No Camp

McPake
Mullen
Caldwell
Vine

Taiwo in the 'yes camp', Thomson in the 'hmmm'.

Are you ill?

Hibercelona
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Taiwo in the 'yes camp', Thomson in the 'hmmm'.

Are you ill?

Are you his brother/cousin or something? :confused:

Taiwo is something fresh, he busts a gut in every game he plays in.

Thomson on the other hand....

Bronson
04-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Are you his brother/cousin or something? :confused:

Taiwo is something fresh, he busts a gut in every game he plays in.

Thomson on the other hand....

Not at all, are you one of those hibbies still hung up on his comments 6/7 years ago?

Thomson is our best player, Taiwo from what I have seen is no more than a squad player. I seriously don't understand how you could pick him over KT.

Hibercelona
04-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Not at all, are you one of those hibbies still hung up on his comments 6/7 years ago?

Thomson is our best player, Taiwo from what I have seen is no more than a squad player. I seriously don't understand how you could pick him over KT.

Thomson is not our best player. And no, his comments from 7/8 years ago have nothing to do with it, I was delighted when he came home to us.

But the fact he hasn't been anywhere near the main squad since Butcher stepped in should drop you a clue.

cad
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes Camp

Williams
Cairney
Forster
Handling
Taiwo

Hmmm Camp

Thomson
Maybury
Clancy
Grant
Horribine

No Camp

McPake
Mullen
Caldwell
Vine

I would be only interested in your yes camp Cairney is a 50/50 depending how Tel see`s it ,I think more than a few will be smelling the coffee come Jan

Bronson
04-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Thomson is not our best player. And no, his comments from 7/8 years ago have nothing to do with it, I was delighted when he came home to us.

But the fact he hasn't been anywhere near the main squad since Butcher stepped in should drop you a clue.

Who is better? In fact, who is in the same bracket as him? No one, he's a class above most SPL players.

Still astonished that you'd have Taiwo over Thomson. KT gives hibs an edge, Taiwo is alright but he provides nothing special.

Northernhibee
04-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Who is better? In fact, who is in the same bracket as him? No one, he's a class above most SPL players.

Still astonished that you'd have Taiwo over Thomson. KT gives hibs an edge, Taiwo is alright but he provides nothing special.

Ben Williams, Paul Hanlon, Liam Craig, Scott Robertson are all more important for us - they can play under Butcher's new system where there's no evidence yet that KT can.

That's what its about - who are the first names on the teamsheet and KT is certainly not the first on the teamsheet.

Ronniekirk
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
I'd keep everyone in bold.

Unsure of the youngsters starred as they haven't shown enough and aren't exactly that young, all 20 going on 21. It's step up of ship out time for them.

Cairney was good, then terrible so just need to wait and see over the next few weeks what player we have.

I'd love the others to come good/prove fitness but just can't see it. Losing those three will free up a good chunk of wages and not affect the current squad in the slightest.
Tend to agree but as he has started Cairney he may opt to keep him if he stays fit and motivated and can do what he did before he went down in box against ICT and add goals to that Clancy would also need to fight for a place stay fit and do well for a sustained period Another injury would see him on his bike. However by start of Transfer window Big Tell will be clear who his priorities are .

Ronniekirk
04-12-2013, 08:41 PM

You are assuming K T may want to stay when he has made it clear if he stayed fit he wanted another crack down south where he can also get more money Assume poster was factoring that in

Bronson
04-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Ben Williams, Paul Hanlon, Liam Craig, Scott Robertson are all more important for us - they can play under Butcher's new system where there's no evidence yet that KT can.

That's what its about - who are the first names on the teamsheet and KT is certainly not the first on the teamsheet.

All important, as is a fit Alex Harris. I just feel that with a fully fit squad KT is easily our most talented player.

Agree to an extent about Butcher's system, but I have no doubt KT is in his plans.

Ronniekirk
04-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Craig and Robertson aren't out of contract

Northernhibee
04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Craig and Robertson aren't out of contract

I was replying to someone asking who is more important than KT in our team.

J-C
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
McPake>>>>>gone
Williams.......new deal till 2014
Vine>>>>>>gone, hopefully january
Thomson.......new one year deal
Cairney.......still unsure, need to see more of him
Clancy>>>>gone, again January I hope
Taiwo.......new one year deal to see if he'll progress
Maybury........new deal only as youth coach, a non player role, would prefer to see proper RB
Caldwell*>>>>>>gone, seems to have attitude problem which might stop him from going further
Mullen*.......has talent, hopefully Butcher and co. can bring it out, new 1 year deal
Handling*.......3 year deal, boy is looking the real deal
Forster*......as Handling
Horribine*....not seen enough of him, is he good enough for us or better at lower league??
Grant*........don't know enough to coment

Noticed Harris not on that list, he needs signed for 3 years.

hibbeedavid
05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
McPake - if this back op is a success yes if not cut our losses although I'd take no joy in doing so

Williams - all stops need to be pulled out for this guy

Vine - unless there is a miraculous turnaround in his form defo a goodbye

Thomson - still a massive fan of Thommo and don't think we can afford to let a guy of his quality go: form is temporary, class is permanent etc

Cairney - Tel seems to be a fan and I think he can do a job so maybe another year

Clancy - just not a fan, so a goodbye from me

Taiwo - again I think he has his uses so I'd be tempted to give another 12 months

Maybury - goodbye to player coach and hello to FT coach IMHO, another year after this may be too much on playing side

Caldwell - if he starts scoring yes
Mullen - not impressed so far so if no improvement by May then goodbye

Handling - Danny is growing on me and I'd give him a new contract

Forster - like Danny I'd give him another deal (which the club have done!)

Horribine - judging by performances in U20s this boy looks a talent so should he given more time to break through

Grant*l - can't say I know enough to comment

MrRobot
05-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I'd give every one of them a chance until summer to prove themselves.

Fergus52
05-12-2013, 03:25 PM

What edge is that?

No way is Thomson "a class above" most spl players.

Hes a good centre mid who can pass well and get stuck in. However I don't think his style of play is suited to terry butcher. He rarely presses in the oppositions half and when he does have the ball he slows the play down WAY too much. Usually taking one too many touches before laying the ball back to Hanlon.

DanHFC1875
07-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Thomson should start every game when fit if you ask me. But it's not up to me, ....

OsloHibs
07-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Get Williams & Thomson signed up for life :cheers:

--------
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
McPake - punt
Williams
Vine - punt
Thomson
Cairney
Clancy - see how things go when he gets back into the team, but I'd be inclined to move him out
Taiwo
Maybury - keep him on as coach
Caldwell
Mullen - punt
Handling
Forster - already signed an extension
Horribine
Grant

I can see one or two of our midfield players moving on - we have an awful lot of midfield players, many of whom are very similar to other midfield players in the squad, so I'd say a thinning out there could free up resources to strengthen elsewhere.

But in the end it'll be up to Terry and Mo - and Petrie finding the cash to keep the players they want to keep.

But I really want to see young guys like Horribine, Harris Handling and Caldwell extending their contracts. Two years with them in the squad and then fees coming in would do a lot to sort things out.