PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Relegation

Nomeancity
03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Just looking back on the great fitbastats website for games I attended years ago. Looking at our squad in the 79/80 season ( sorry for bringing it up again). It doesn't seem as bad as I can remember it was at the time. This was the team that got beat by dundee utd away 2-0. From memory it was joe wards first game and we thought he was going to be our saviour!! But some of these players weren't that bad - were they?

McArthur, Jim
Brazil, Ally
Brown, Jim
Rae, Gordon
Paterson, Craig
McNamara, Jackie
MacLeod, Ally
Campbell, Colin
Ward, Joe
Callachan, Ralph
Higgins, Tony

Ronniekirk
03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Just looking back on the great fitbastats website for games I attended years ago. Looking at our squad in the 79/80 season ( sorry for bringing it up again). It doesn't seem as bad as I can remember it was at the time. This was the team that got beat by dundee utd away 2-0. From memory it was joe wards first game and we thought he was going to be our saviour!! But some of these players weren't that bad - were they?

McArthur, Jim
Brazil, Ally
Brown, Jim
Rae, Gordon
Paterson, Craig
McNamara, Jackie
MacLeod, Ally
Campbell, Colin
Ward, Joe
Callachan, Ralph
Higgins, Tony
Read the book about George's bests time at hibs iThere record was abysmal and when best still there the final home attendance was under 2,000 so puts current complaints about attendance into some perspective. but agree McNamara Patterson McLeod Callaghan were all excellent players The less said about the Mutch Maligned Benny Brazil the Better. taxi for Benny

BH Hibs
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Better than another team soon to be relegated. :jamboak:

hibbymick
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
When we play Raith we will be playing against a young relative of Ralph Callachan............Ross Callachan.

Ringothedog
04-12-2013, 09:32 AM

McArthur, Jim
Brazil, Ally
Brown, Jim
Rae, Gordon
Paterson, Craig
McNamara, Jackie
MacLeod, Ally
Campbell, Colin
Ward, Joe
Callachan, Ralph
Higgins, Tony

Not that it is relevant but I didn't miss a game home or away that season. The problem we had was that we never scored enough goals or gain enough points. If we had scored more goals or gained more points we might not have got relegated and even won the league:devil:

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Read the book about George's bests time at hibs iThere record was abysmal and when best still there the final home attendance was under 2,000 so puts current complaints about attendance into some perspective. but agree McNamara Patterson McLeod Callaghan were all excellent players The less said about the Mutch Maligned Benny Brazil the Better. taxi for Benny

Why mention the attendance, when the threads about the team? :confused:

Jumbo
05-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Sure the last game, against Partick, was a Monday night just after being humped by Aberdeen who won the league !

Ronniekirk
05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Why mention the attendance, when the threads about the team? :confused:
Just to highlight that even in past few years with poor teams our crowd while naturally down hasn't dwindled to those levels as size of crows is often a feature in threads New to posting so take your point about it being off thread .i probably do that a lot

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Just to highlight that even in past few years with poor teams our crowd while naturally down hasn't dwindled to those levels as size of crows is often a feature in threads New to posting so take your point about it being off thread .i probably do that a lot

:aok: thanks for clarifying that.

I think that's a valid point you make though. People don't go to see a doomed side, as is already obvious at Tynecastle (I'm going even further off track now):greengrin.

Billy McKirdy
05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

For a man who played over 200 games for Hibs, Benny couldn't have been that bad surely!

He was no Lionel Messi for sure but give the man a break, he scored a hat-trick against Celtic after all.

He's a cult hero if anything.

Kato
05-12-2013, 03:31 PM

McArthur, Jim
Brazil, Ally
Brown, Jim
Rae, Gordon
Paterson, Craig
McNamara, Jackie
MacLeod, Ally
Campbell, Colin
Ward, Joe
Callachan, Ralph
Higgins, Tony

Doesn't look a bad side but that mid-field had loads of skill and little work-rate. The season previous we had Des Bremner doing all the running in that area releasing MacLeod and Callachan to be creative.

When we sold Des we sealed our fate.

Deansy
05-12-2013, 03:42 PM
For a man who played over 200 games for Hibs, Benny couldn't have been that bad surely!

He was no Lionel Messi for sure but give the man a break, he scored a hat-trick against Celtic after all.

He's a cult hero if anything.

Couldn't understand it then and still can't now - played under several managers too ??. And Imho, sadly, he WAS that bad !.

MM19
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Doesn't look a bad side but that mid-field had loads of skill and little work-rate. The season previous we had Des Bremner doing all the running in that area releasing MacLeod and Callachan to be creative.

Yeah we sold Des to get Joe Ward. As someone said we thought he would score goals for us but it didn't happen. Des went on to win a European Cup medal though

Billy McKirdy
05-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Couldn't understand it then and still can't now - played under several managers too ??. And Imho, sadly, he WAS that bad !.

Peter Crouch reminded me of Benny Brazil, they both looked the most unlikely footballers but in Crouchs case he definitely WAS a footballer, as a kid watching Benny play, he looked so out of place with his skinny white legs, but give him his due, for a decade he was a first pick most weeks.
He lived the dream unlike most of us and even now can be seen running down Easter Road driving his number 1.

bigwheel
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure one of my favourite all time Hibs goals was that season..>Ralphie Callaghan against Dundee….. mazy!!

Iggy Pope
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Including no less an authority than Eddie Turnbull giving him his debut. He was capped at U23 level for Scotland and made 100s of appearances for Hibs and captained them. Oh, to be that *****.

I'm pretty sure one of my favourite all time Hibs goals was that season..>Ralphie Callaghan against Dundee….. mazy!!

5-2 including a twice taken and twice buried free kick from Ally McLeod?

Jonnyboy
05-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Ally once scored a hat trick against Celtic :wink:

Ronniekirk
05-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Including no less an authority than Eddie Turnbull giving him his debut. He was capped at U23 level for Scotland and made 100s of appearances for Hibs and captained them. Oh, to be that *****.

Remember the twice taken free kick as he put ions to the left and one to the right Remember thinking how brilliant was that

Hiber-nation
05-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Very true. And we had 2 non-scoring strikers, Joe Ward and Bobby Torrance.

We were actually playing some decent fitba that season without getting many breaks but when we signed Duncan bloody Lambie the decent fitba disappeared...

Kato
05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Very true. And we had 2 non-scoring strikers, Joe Ward and Bobby Torrance.

We were actually playing some decent fitba that season without getting many breaks but when we signed Duncan bloody Lambie the decent fitba disappeared...

A consolation was George Best in a Hibs strip. A true footballing genius.

bigwheel
05-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Didn't realise that was the same game as the Callaghan goal - superb !!

CropleyWasGod
05-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Not sure that was the same game.

I was in different places for each game. Was the free-kick not against United? Callachan was definitely against Dundee, early season. Think Macleod's free-kick was in the dark, therefore must have been later in the season.

Kato
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM

I was in different places for each game. Was the free-kick not against United? Callachan was definitely against Dundee, early season. Think Macleod's free-kick was in the dark, therefore must have been later in the season.

Dundee as well. New Years as Hertz were in the midst of their yo-yo impersonation.

"and when they were up they were up they were doon they were doon, etc".

Ralph's mazy was at the start of the season as mentioned above. Still one of the best goals I've ever seen, easily.

Hiber-nation
05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
A consolation was George Best in a Hibs strip. A true footballing genius.

Aye, there was that shining light amidst the gloom!

I'll never forget the day he went awol and Lambie deputised...this auld gadge in the North Enclosure was raging at Tom Hart demanding his money back!

Kato
05-12-2013, 09:20 PM
That seasons game by game stats.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_season.php?from=33&competition=0&update=Update

Weird that a well-meaning, try-hard, model pro, footballing clutz like Ally Brazil shared a pitch with a lairy, drunk, legs-gone footballing Demi-God like Best. We had a player who was blessed with a genuinely uncanny sense of balance and one who was the clumsiest human in a thousand mile radius. Benny got better in later seasons breaking up play in front of the defence but some moments from him that season were prime soccer comedy. Memory is a weird thing and it seems now that he always got hit in the face at least once in every game. Not his fault, he was just always the schlomozzle.

Iggy Pope
05-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Definitely the same game.

Edit: each game? We never won many that season and doubt if we beat united at all.

erin go bragh
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Ally once scored a hat trick against Celtic :wink:

He sure did but it didnt win us any points cause it was a freindly if i remember correctly .

Ggtth

Jonnyboy
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
He sure did but it didnt win us any points cause it was a freindly if i remember correctly .

Ggtth

Indeed. Against Celtic

erin go bragh
05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Indeed. Against Celtic

6-3 we horsed them at the Leith San Siro .

Ggtth

McSwanky
05-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Interesting reading. I only started going to ER in 81/82 (Bertie Auld is the first manager I remember) so don't really know anything of the relegation/promotion seasons. Was interested to read that Eddie Turnbull was manager for most of that season. What was the lowdown on Turnbull going and Ormond stepping in?

gorgie greens
06-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Interesting reading. I only started going to ER in 81/82 (Bertie Auld is the first manager I remember) so don't really know anything of the relegation/promotion seasons. Was interested to read that Eddie Turnbull was manager for most of that season. What was the lowdown on Turnbull going and Ormond stepping in?

Felt sorry for ned,he had his team sold from him,remember Ormond not being there for illness reason,and as for the 2000 odd at a game it fails to mention the massive crowds against Partick and other huge crowds we had,i also remember Ralphies goal (peach)got to the game early and rather than climb mount everest (old terrace) i went to the cow shed and can remember the Dundee fans chase a load of Hibs fans across the top of the terrace then going back even faster to the dunbar end,ah the good old days,not that Hibs going down was a highlight,i never missed games home or away for about 8 seasons ,

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Peter Crouch reminded me of Benny Brazil, they both looked the most unlikely footballers but in Crouchs case he definitely WAS a footballer, as a kid watching Benny play, he looked so out of place with his skinny white legs, but give him his due, for a decade he was a first pick most weeks.
He lived the dream unlike most of us and even now can be seen running down Easter Road driving his number 1.

Can't have been a great dream for Benny - he was a Jambo! Poor guy, he was treated like **** by the fans. He did make some howlers, but he must have had something, as he survived several managers.

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Remember the twice taken free kick as he put ions to the left and one to the right Remember thinking how brilliant was that

Didn't realise that was the same game as the Callaghan goal - superb !!

Definitely the same game.

Edit: each game? We never won many that season and doubt if we beat united at all.

Not the same game. Ally's free kick was definitely under floodlights and the game was also televised. In fact, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the same season.

The second game against Dundee was meant to be at New Year, but was postponed due to a frozen pitch. I remember, we missed too many games mid season, and that is why Hart invested in under soil heating, next season.

Tom Hart RIP
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Bowled with Benny at Alan Sneddon testimonial bowling night at newcraighall. Nice guy and popular with other players.
He once said he preferred playing in big games as you couldn't hear the individual abuse from the fans. The first division was a nightmare for him but he always gave his best.

Iggy Pope
06-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Not the same game. Ally's free kick was definitely under floodlights and the game was also televised. In fact, the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the same season.

The second game against Dundee was meant to be at New Year, but was postponed due to a frozen pitch. I remember, we missed too many games mid season, and that is why Hart invested in under soil heating, next season.

I don't recall it being under lights and I am certain it was against Dundee.
Using the Fitba Stats link above, Ally is credited with a goal in the 5-2 game, as well as one v Dundee the following season.
I don't know now........

Hibby Bairn
06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Went to Best's debut for Hibs at Love Street IIRC. Played in the morning for Davy Mains at Warriston and then went to the game (by train) with a slightly older pal. Told my mum and dad I was going to his house and to this day they still don't know I was in Paisley. Aged 12. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Using the Fitba Stats link above, Ally is credited with a goal in the 5-2 game, as well as one v Dundee the following season.
I don't know now........

Who was the Dundee keeper? The free kick was against a guy from Fife, that didn't play regularly, but filled in for them as all their real keepers were out.

Iggy Pope
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Who was the Dundee keeper? The free kick was against a guy from Fife, that didn't play regularly, but filled in for them as all their real keepers were out.

Absolutely nae idea. Not Ally Donaldson then?

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Absolutely nae idea. Not Ally Donaldson then?

Be good to see the line ups. I think it was Ally Dawson in the first game.

Ronniekirk
06-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Went to Best's debut for Hibs at Love Street IIRC. Played in the morning for Davy Mains at Warriston and then went to the game (by train) with a slightly older pal. Told my mum and dad I was going to his house and to this day they still don't know I was in Paisley. Aged 12. :aok:
I was at that game but was a student at Paisley college so didn't have far to travel but ended up in the Home end .Think everyone will have a story about not being truthfully with parents about whereabouts to go to a game Mine was when I was 15 and lived in Cupar Fife .Told my parents I was at the Pictures in the afternoon and then going to a mates house for tea Ended up going myself up to Aberdeen Think we got beat .On the way back on the Train the Hibs players were in first class carriages and I got a lot of the teams autographs Turnbulls Tornadoes Team .Some big skinhead from the Young Dry law Team ripped a few pages out my programme with some of the Autographs .If you are reading this thread and recognise yourself and still have them Geeze them back.

heretoday
06-12-2013, 10:18 PM

McArthur, Jim
Brazil, Ally
Brown, Jim
Rae, Gordon
Paterson, Craig
McNamara, Jackie
MacLeod, Ally
Campbell, Colin
Ward, Joe
Callachan, Ralph
Higgins, Tony

They were badly managed IMHO.

Jonnyboy
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
They were badly managed IMHO.

By both Turnbull and Ormond?

heretoday
06-12-2013, 11:03 PM
By both Turnbull and Ormond?

Yes I think they were. An element of lassitude had set in. Turnbull lost his edge and Ormond wasn't well.

George Best was a bit of a distraction to be honest although I was as chuffed as everyone else that he signed for us.

iainm
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
The 5-2 match was amazing! Just didn't realise the season that lay in front of us!! Best was fantastic that night!

The programme at the next home game had a report of the 5-2 game entitled 'George's Joy Night' - it was a good read!

Terrible season, but seeing Best play in the green and white was awesome

Ronniekirk
06-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes I think they were. An element of lassitude had set in. Turnbull lost his edge and Ormond wasn't well.

George Best was a bit of a distraction to be honest although I was as chuffed as everyone else that he signed for us.
Tom hart didn't back Turnbulls in the transfer market so when players were sold he didn't get the same money for replacements Then Tom brought in George on a reputed two grand a game without consulting Turnbull (now where does that sound familiar. rod brining in o Conner) but by then it was no more than a bit of a circus Went to three games where he never turned up

Peevemor
06-12-2013, 11:19 PM
I don't know now........

MacLeod's double free kick was against Dundee on a Saturday afternoon under the floodlights, but it was after we'd come back up from D1. I think we won either 2-1 or 2-0.

hibbybrian
07-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Ralph scored in a 5-2 win over Dundee at ER on 25-8-1979; Ally scored in a 2-1 win over Dundee at ER on 2-1-1982 :wink: