PDA

View Full Version : McPake

Billy Whizz
03-12-2013, 05:29 PM
James is going in for a back operation. Will be out until next year

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Good Luck, big man needs a bit if luck with his fitness....

GreenCastle
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Just read on Twitter McPake is to undergo surgery on his recurring back injury.

Sadly looks like the guy has got a real continual issue with his back and it quite obviously hinders him when playing - he hasn't been the same player since signing for us for those few months.

He's had a tough 12 months and wish him a speedy recovery.

Frazerbob
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Best of luck to the big man. McPake at his best and when fit was fantastic for us and I really hope he can save his career.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Hope his operation. Goes well and he gets himself sorted with a new club.

essexhibee
03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Whens his contract up?

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Whens his contract up?
Now. Hopefully

Gus Fring
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Whens his contract up?

End of this season. If he's out for a year he'll be a free agent by the time he's match fit again.

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Tough one for James as, given his injury record in this department, it's probably the last throw of the dice for him as a footballer. I really hope it's successful, because the guy is an inspirational defender and leader. It's obvious that this injury has been draining him of mobility and confidence in the last year.

Back problems are a terrible thing for anybody, and he's still a youngish guy with a young family, and if it's at all dubious, I'd rather see him retire than push himself and mess it up further. A person's lifespan is a lot longer than his footballing years, and his first priority has to be to protect his on-going quality of life.

whiskyhibby
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Hope it all goes well for James and would love to see him back at his best pushing for a starting place

HibbyAndy
03-12-2013, 05:54 PM
He's played his last game then.

Cheers James and awra best bud :aok:

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Tough one for James as, given his injury record in this department, it's probably the last throw of the dice for him as a footballer. I really hope it's successful, because the guy is an inspirational defender and leader. It's obvious that this injury has been draining him of mobility and confidence in the last year.

Back problems are a terrible thing for anybody, and he's still a youngish guy with a young family, and if it's at all dubious, I'd rather see him retire than push himself and mess it up further. A person's lifespan is a lot longer than his footballing years, and his first priority has to be to protect his on-going quality of life.
Think that was probably more down to his lack of ability.

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Now. Hopefully

Jeez…what a bunch some of us are….I bet you weren't saying that when he grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and helped save us from Relegation and got us to a Cup Final….. What a terrible thing to say...

MSK
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Think that was probably more down to his lack of ability.FFs ..we get it, ye don't like the man ..

Heisenberg
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Good luck to him.

davhibby
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Best to do that now so he can get a few months to play for a new contract

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Jeez…what a bunch some of us are….I bet you weren't saying that when he grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and helped save us from Relegation and got us to a Cup Final….. What a terrible thing to say...
I have never thought he was a good player. No positional spence and was a liability but as I say I hope things go well for him and he gets himself fixed up. Tough world but would like to see us use his wage elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I have never thought he was a good player. No positional spence and was a liability but as I say I hope things go well for him and he gets himself fixed up. Tough world but would like to see us use his wage elsewhere. What's wrong with that?

When he was throwing his body in the way of shots to keep us in the league were you still saying he was a liability? I doubt it very much …He came and stood up for us when we were down, how about wanting us to do the same thing when he is at a low? rather than wanting an end to his contract..

BH Hibs
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Now. Hopefully

My you are a cheery sole

Pretty Boy
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Now. Hopefully

A bit compassion doesn't go amiss now and again.

Wheat Hound
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Good luck James. I, for one, have not forgotten how much he lifted this club at a time when we were at a very low ebb. Whatever else might have happened since then, his display and words after the 1-1 first derby after THAT final, bought back a wee bit pride.

dalkeith stu
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM

All the best to him but I wish he hadn't got us to THAT cup final.

poolman
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Now. Hopefully

Oh ma sides :rolleyes:

Just Alf
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Some are a bit Yammish sometimes :-/

Broken Gnome
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
It's really rotten that someone couldn't, even knowing what message boards are like, read a thread about retirement, injury, awards, any major career development, without taking a verbal kicking from their own fans. Sad.

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
It's really rotten that someone couldn't, even knowing what message boards are like, read a thread about retirement, injury, awards, any major career development, without taking a verbal kicking from their own fans. Sad.

Top post

Fergos
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
James stood up and was counted when he first came to our club and was instrumental in keeping us from relegation. Obvious he lost form and fight due to his injury issues.

Be good if the club stick by him and see how he recovers.

i wish him well and a speedy and full recovery.

GGTTH

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
All the best James. Can't thank you enough for grabbing this club by the scruff of the neck when we needed it to keep us up. Without your help we would have went down, no doubt about it! I wish you the best of luck with the operation and all the best for the future if you have played your last game for Hibernian F.C. Thank you, captain. #leader

Fergus52
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM

:rolleyes:

Fergus52
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM

I wouldnt be so sure about that

matty_f
03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Hope it's a success and he has a very speedy recovery. Helped dig us out a massive hole in Fenlon's first season in charge and his contribution then should not be forgotten.

stu in nottingham
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Feel for the guy, must be helluva worrying. Only he, his close ones and the doctors will understand the true prognosis.

Wishing him all the best with it.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm very sorry but I don't get this whole love-in thing with McPake.
He is a football player with very limited ability who came to us when we had a team of absolute dross and made us marginally better. If that is what gets you hero worship nowadays you can keep it.
If he is what we should aspire to watching, no thanks. That's what has been wrong with Hibs over the past few years, we have accepted mediocrity. The way he has to play the game due to his lack of ability has probably contributed to his injury problems. What some people see as committed and inspirational from him I see as desperate and rash.
Oh and if you want to talk about kicking our own players try having a look at threads about Stevenson, Vine and Thomson.

brog
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Yep, there's always one & unfortunately it's usually this one. James may not be the greatest player we've ever seen at ER but he always gave 100%, sometimes to the detriment of his own well being. I wish him all the best & if he can get back to his best he'll be an asset that TB will certainly appreciate.

Stax
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Now. Hopefully
Brutal post, not really the time to debate the man's ability. Hope he comes out the other end able to continue his career, whether that's with us who knows but a lot forgetting a valuable contribution to our club when it was needed

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
He is a football player with very limited ability who came to us when we had a team of absolute dross and made us marginally better. If that is what gets you hero worship nowadays you can keep it.
If he is what we should aspire to watching, no thanks. That's what has been wrong with Hibs over the past few years, we have accepted mediocrity. The way he has to play the game due to his lack of ability has probably contributed to his injury problems. What some people see as committed and inspirational from him I see as desperate and rash.
Oh and if you want to talk about kicking our own players try having a look at threads about Stevenson, Vine and Thomson.

You just don't get it do you - it's not simply about James McPake , it's about any player going through a hard time ...why don't you simply wish him well and keep the rest of your nonsense to yourself on this thread

Broken Gnome
03-12-2013, 07:28 PM
He is a football player with very limited ability who camethenwhen we had a team of absolute dross and made us marginally better. If that is what gets you hero worship nowadays you can keep it.

I generalised it specifically to include those players and all the others who sign for a new club or might be forced to quit elsewhere - there's always a good few who can't help themselves but deride them as p!sh.

A thread actually ABOUT Rowan Vine's ability is a bit different. Given its likely to contain varied opinion about his ability. If he was to break his leg then I'd hope most would wish him well without saying 'good' or such like.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
You just don't get it do you - it's not simply about James McPake , it's about any player going through a hard time ...why don't you simply wish him well and keep the rest of your nonsense to yourself on this thread
i have wished him well. I'm not allowed an opinion now? Whereas others on this thread are? If it's positive about him it's ok otherwise shut up? What kind of democracy is that? In you're opinion it's nonsense and you're entitled to that view.

jdships
03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
He's played his last game then.

Cheers James and awra best bud :aok:

Yeah can't disagree with that : not much to offer us this past year and better players in the squad :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
03-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Is your relentless dissing of this Hibs player ever going to end?

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
i have wished him well. I'm not allowed an opinion now? Whereas others on this thread are? If it's positive about him it's ok otherwise shut up? What kind of democracy is that? In you're opinion it's nonsense and you're entitled to that view.

He might not be the best centre half we have ever had, but he's going through a terrible time and his career could well be over, and you are an idiot.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
He might not be the best centre half we have ever had, but he's going through a terrible time and his career could well be over, and you are an idiot.
Again, that's you're opinion and congratulations for making it

Capt Mainwaring
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Sad news but hopefully the Op is successful and James can resume his career.

All the best for a full recovery fella.

Aldo
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Wish him all the best and a speedy recovery.

erin-go-bragh87
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Great post, the guys a former club captain that's had a really tough time with injury. When he first came it was probably the adrenaline that carried him through those big games. Once he settled in to the club that adrenaline obviously fades as he played every week and the injury became too much??

Would we have first refusal if he got himself fit and we still needed him?

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

No problem whatsoever, it was a pleasure.

Eyrie
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Best wishes to McPake for a full recovery, but if he has to choose at some point in the future then health is more important than playing football.

strummbo
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I wish James McPake all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

First off, the man is a Hibs player,

secondly he did a fantastic job in our time of need and led by example [as captain] when no example existed prior to him signing

thirdly, i wish folk would stop with the negatives about any current player. It doesn't help...

fourthly, if the op is a success and he gets back to a level of fitness and game ready, then i would gladly have him as first pick centre half.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
No problem whatsoever, it was a pleasure.
:wink:

Bronson
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Loved the passion he showed in the 6 months he spent on loan with us but I have to say with regret, that he is finished IMO. Getting injured on a monthly basis and when he does play he doesn't look the player he was.

Tons of respect for the guy, he dug us out the sh*t single-handedly when he came in and I wish him all the best.

Stevie Reid
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
The abuse that James got from many people around me when he was sent off in the LC derby defeat was completely and utterly disgusting, and one of my most depressing moments as a Hibs supporter (which is saying something).

He is a shadow of his former self now, but he provided us with real leadership in a season where we were rudderless, and only secured our SPL status in our 37th game of the season. Far from the most gifted player you will ever see but captaining Hibs clearly meant so much to him, and he was - and obviously still is - prepared to put his body on the line to play for us.

There was a time not so long ago where we collectively panicked if he was unavailable - now some people are hoping that he never plays for us again. Very, very sad.

SunshineOnLeith
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I hope that, whatever happens, there's a role for McPake at Hibs after his surgery and, presumably, period of rehab. As others have said he stood up for us in our time of need, time to repay the favour.

Pat 0-7
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Hope it's a success and he has a very speedy recovery. Helped dig us out a massive hole in Fenlon's first season in charge and his contribution then should not be forgotten.

Agreed. Good luck James.

Benny Brazil
03-12-2013, 08:53 PM

I agree with some of the points you make such as the one above.

However when we are talking about a player who could concievably have to retire due to this injury surely you could have just wished him a speedy recovery and left it there?

Robinho08
03-12-2013, 08:53 PM
The abuse that James got from many people around me when he was sent off in the LC derby defeat was completely and utterly disgusting, and one of my most depressing moments as a Hibs supporter (which is saying something).

He is a shadow of his former self now, but he provided us with real leadership in a season where we were rudderless, and only secured our SPL status in our 37th game of the season. Far from the most gifted player you will ever see but captaining Hibs clearly meant so much to him, and he was - and obviously still is - prepared to put his body on the line to play for us.

There was a time not so long ago where we collectively panicked if he was unavailable - now some people are hoping that he never plays for us again. Very, very sad.

Agreed.

Hope his op is a success. I wouldnt be disapointed if he played for us again.

Fergus52
03-12-2013, 09:06 PM

someone's getting pissy :tee hee:

Hovehibby
03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
McPAke was a great captain and leader do us when we needed it the most. I hope that the op is a success and he can continue his career, even if his time with us is at an end. Abilities aside, his passion reminds me of TB in his playing days.

Vault Boy
03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Best of luck to James. :aok:

MyJo
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
The report says that Butcher is hoping to have him back "next year". People are assuming this is him out for the season but it sounds to me like Butcher is expecting him to have recovered in the new year and to hopefully play a part in the second half of the season.

Also shows up Fenlon in a bad light, what was he thinking allowing McPake to start the season carrying an injury of this extent instead of getting it dealt with properly over the summer.

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 09:49 PM
The report says that Butcher is hoping to have him back "next year". People are assuming this is him out for the season but it sounds to me like Butcher is expecting him to have recovered in the new year and to hopefully play a part in the second half of the season.

Also shows up Fenlon in a bad light, what was he thinking allowing McPake to start the season carrying an injury of this extent instead of getting it dealt with properly over the summer.
Surely McPake knows his body better than anyone else. I don't see how this can be laid at Fenlons door, he has never claimed to be any sort of medical expert and would have been led by McPake and the medical team on that one.

WeeCraigy
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM

Spot on

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Personally think he is out best center back when fit and on form, wish him a speedy recovery and I hope he can continue playing even if its not for us.

Ronniekirk
03-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Personally think he is out best center back when fit and on form, wish him a speedy recovery and I hope he can continue playing even if its not for us.
Difficult to see how he can come back now He has had too many injuries Needs to put his health first We can't afford to keepbringing him back and he never gets fully fit That's when he starts having to make these crazy last ditch tackles which lead to further injury

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2013, 10:33 PM
In a period of our Hibstory when leaders were in short supply, James took pride in and restored pride to the position of Hibs captain. After the despondency of May 19th he offered a glint of hope, laid down a marker and we went unbeaten against them all season.

Not without flaw but leadership and commitment to the cause were not areas of deficiency.
Ultimately it would seem his back was his undoing impacting fitness and ultimately performance.

I am sad that fate looks to be dealing a harsh blow - that's bad enough without some posters sticking the boot in but that's the kaleidoscopic medium of the internet.

I wish James all the best in health and life and am glad and thankful for the role he has played for our club I hope that role can be extended in some form.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2013, 10:36 PM

He may be an idiot, but you Sir are a Hibee and you'll still be a Hibee in the morning... ;)

Gerard
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Good luck

sadtom
03-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Best of luck with the op James.
Hope you get back to your fully committed self soon.
p.s Ignore the needy trolls. I think they must have been bottle fed as bairns or suchlike.

Leithenhibby
03-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Now. Hopefully

Arse :agree: just saying like :wink:

:agree:

:top marks

It's very sad that some people feel the need to grab the attention on a thread like a 4 year old.......

Hope it works out for you James... :aok:

Bay Area Hibees
03-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Yip ex hibs captain and still hibs player. Good luck James, hopefully you'll make it back from this and play well for us again.

Bay Area Hibees
03-12-2013, 11:47 PM

yeah I second that.

lyonhibs
04-12-2013, 12:19 AM
If that means its the end of the road of J McPake at ER then i wish him all the very best for his future career. Whatever one might say he clearly cared/cares, which is more than can be said for some of the utter *****ehawks that preceded him.

Nonetheless, that cannot conceal the fact that his favourite position, especially againt Hearts, was the "2 seconds late despairing lunge" and that in general, over the past few months he has been - when played - slower than a week in jail and as for that "tackle" that got him sent off in the LC against the Filth............. :bitchy:

Not good enough to remain a part of the future under TB at Hibs, IMO.

JimBHibees
04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
In a period of our Hibstory when leaders were in short supply, James took pride in and restored pride to the position of Hibs captain. After the despondency of May 19th he offered a glint of hope, laid down a marker and we went unbeaten against them all season.

Not without flaw but leadership and commitment to the cause were not areas of deficiency.
Ultimately it would seem his back was his undoing impacting fitness and ultimately performance.

I am sad that fate looks to be dealing a harsh blow - that's bad enough without some posters sticking the boot in but that's the kaleidoscopic medium of the internet.

I wish James all the best in health and life and am glad and thankful for the role he has played for our club I hope that role can be extended in some form.

Great post and completely agree. Not the best player in the world however he took being captain of Hibernian as an honour which it of course is and only injuries have reduced his performances. I wish him well as his character will see him do well in whatever he does in the future.

hibsbollah
04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I wish James McPake all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

First off, the man is a Hibs player,

secondly he did a fantastic job in our time of need and led by example [as captain] when no example existed prior to him signing

thirdly, i wish folk would stop with the negatives about any current player. It doesn't help...

fourthly, if the op is a success and he gets back to a level of fitness and game ready, then i would gladly have him as first pick centre half.

:agree: