PDA

View Full Version : Yogi for ICT?

The Sea-gull
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Being reported that Yogi is on the brink of getting the job. It is in the Sun though so I'm not holding my breath.

Wonder what the ICT players will think of their new training gear? #boilersuits

bad_news_boab
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
The BAD NEWS is I may have to sign up to to the Caley Thistle forum to give them the BAD NEWS that there good manager is about to be replaced by a clueless man.

Weststandwanab
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
The BAD NEWS is I may have to sign up to to the Caley Thistle forum to give them the BAD NEWS that there good manager is about to be replaced by a clueless man.
You are well named ! :greengrin

--------
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
You are well named ! :greengrin

Real bad-news folks ken whit's goin' oan. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Aye you might have to diversify now we appear to be on a different path :greengrin

Beefster
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Whoever takes over at ICT is on a hiding to nothing.

Craig_in_Prague
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM

not sure about that.
often taking over a team doing well, isn't too big a deal.

they have the yams in a cup semi-final and should reach a final, if they play well.

whilst they are still playing well since TB left, any new guy really doesn't need to tinker much & I wouldn't be surprised to see them fighting for 2nd.

The Sea-gull
03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
not sure about that.

they have the yams in a cup semi-final and should reach a final, if they play well.

whilst they are still playing well since TB left, any new guy really doesn't need to tinker much & I wouldn't be surprised to see them fighting for 2nd.

:agree: It is a little bit like Motherwell when McCall took over from Brown. Everyone said they would plummet but McCall carried on the good work and actually lifted them to the next level, cup defeats by Albion Rovers notwithstanding.

The difficulty for anyone taking over at ICT will be reproducing things season after season. They should be ok for the rest of this season and be in the hunt for second/Europe with a cup to play for, the real tough job for whoever takes over is doing it next season when, inevitably, a lot of the players leave and you have to replace the quality on a shoestring and keep the team spirit going.

Re the semi v Yams. Every team in the SPL should beat them when they play them but as we have found out it doesn't always work like that. Unfortunately, I could still see the Yams getting to the final via a 1-0 or a win on pens.

Thecat23
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
not sure about that.

Can you honestly say you could trust Yogi not to tinker though? ICT will drop like a stone with his style of play and training IMO.

bigwheel
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
If he gets it, I hope he does well…big honest character….Wish him all the best

Aaron
03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

I agree mate. I would wish any Hibee well no-mater what they do.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Good luck to him if he gets it, not all bad memories of Yogi as Hibs manager.

Stevie Reid
03-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Good luck to him if he gets it, not all bad memories of Yogi as Hibs manager.

:agree:

hibees 7062
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Can you honestly say you could trust Yogi not to tinker though? ICT will drop like a stone with his style of play and training IMO.

As long as its after the semi finals :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Don't think that there would be any argument over his style of play, but if ICT hit a bad spell, that is where he may come unstuck.

green.and.white
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Yogi appointed, to be announced within a day or two according to many different sources on twitter

The_Horde
03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Don't think Hughes is the most talented manager in the world. But hard work beats talent when talent dizny work hard..

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM

He'll give it a right good go. In the process, he'll alienate a squad that is too old to be frightened of an old fashioned bully.

;3826764']Don't think Hughes is the most talented manager in the world. But hard work beats talent when talent dizny work hard..

Certainly did the trick with Edwin van de Graaf.

Sorry folks, Yogi is a numpty, and this appointment will prove it once and for all.

Billy Whizz
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Good luck to him if he gets it

givescotlandfreedom
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
I may get shot down but in their position I'd much rather have Kenny Shiels. A manager with a good record with a tight budget and good at installing belief - Killie must be kicking themselves they got rid of him.

jacomo
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
I may get shot down but in their position I'd much rather have Kenny Shiels. A manager with a good record with a tight budget and good at installing belief - Killie must be kicking themselves they got rid of him.

You'd think so, but Michael Johnston (is that the chairman's name) seems to have abandoned all sense of reason there.

Back on topic, good luck to Yogi if he gets the gig, if only it proves he's more employable than Craig Levein. But I fear it won't work out.

carnoustiehibee
03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Why the rush for a new manager.ICT beat Morton 4-0 at the wkd.

Who's yogi bringing in as a translator, they won't understand him up there.

SaulGoodman
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
If ICT are wanting exciting, box to box midfielders to pitch in with the goals then they're in luck!

Maybe not, De-graff's shocker of a miss against Newco still gives me nightmares.

Diclonius
03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Really?

sadtom
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
I think some of the disrespect shown to Yogi on here is a f***in' disgrace.
Snobby cr@p, not to mention cowardly, as i very much doubt the majority doing it would have the cajones to say it to his face.
Yogi tried to have the team playing the right way, ultimately it didn't work out after a promising start, but at least he tried to do the right thing. Unlike some of the dummies who failed trying to play the 'wrong' way (who seem to get less grief than JH).

His passion for the club was genuine and upfront and i think it was a mix of bad luck and too many risky signings which lead to a dressing room full of bigmouths and big heads but he obviously thought the waifs and strays that he signed were worth a gamble (i kind of agree that it was worth a bash).

Of all the recent 'failures' as manager i still believe he is the one that should have been given longer. No guarantee it would have worked out but if it had, i think it would have been good to watch and also if it was successful i reckon the emotional ties to the club may have seen him hang around a bit longer than most if he was being 'headhunted'.

Too many absolute phantoms on here that think playing computer games qualifies them as 'experts'. And quite a few who seemed to be determined that he would and should fail from the outset. Some of whom appeared (and still do it seems) to take great pleasure when it did start to go wrong.

I wouldn't put it past JH to continue the success at ICT, then a few on here will require large helpings of humble pie.
And if TB fails to deliver the goods with us i wouldn't put it past some of the fickle nutters here to want JH back.
TB was one of the 2 or 3 that i hoped would get the job this time round, so delighted that he did.
I hope to the wee imaginary man in the sky that he is hugely successful. Though if i'm honest, i'm already wondering if i'm going to enjoy watching his 'brand' of fitba. I hope i love it but i ain't sure i will.

Anyway good luck Yogi. Hope you do well.
GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Gave us our best finish in the league since Mowbray, i'd love to see a Hibs team that that qualified for Europe through our league position these days.

Good luck if you get the job.

Golden Bear
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Shiels and Hartley now out of the running according to BBC Radio Glasgow. ( oops - I meant Radio Scotland)

yeezus.
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Good luck to Yogi if he does get the job - he's got an easy League Cup Semi coming up but also a very tricky trip to Stranraer in the Scottish Cup :greengrin

lucky
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
ICT have a decent team that play in a certain style, Yogi will tinker with it and disrupt their team. He will fall out with the players and end up trying his bullying management routine and will be sacked by Xmas next year as his team plummet down the league this season and end up in a relegation scrap. I just don't think this man is a manager.

GreenCastle
03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
A positive to come out of this is that ICT play the yams in the league cup semi and Yogi will have them fired up to get to the final as he hates the yams.

If Hartley was there I couldn't see him giving the same passion in the dressing room before.

Will be interesting to see if JH brings in someone to help him since the ICT staff has been ripped away from them by us...:offski:

Billychaotic182
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Didn't work for him here but like Mixu i will never say a bad word about them. All the best yogi just not against us

SkintHibby
03-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Nice comment mate.:thumbsup:

mutley
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Just on the news, ICT to hold a press conference in the morning, expecting Yogi to be announced as new manager

RIP Bestie
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Yogi appointed, to be announced within a day or two according to many different sources on twitter
Cheap option for. ICT. Only cost a packet of crayons, a helicopter hat and a pair of gloves attached by string.

mca
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Best of Luck to yogi - but not against us - and i bet the calley fans are delighted..

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Got to say I'm surprised by this one.

All the best to Hughes but can't really see this working out for ICT.

Andy74
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Got to say I'm surprised by this one.

All the best to Hughes but can't really see this working out for ICT.

I think they will be just fine. He had a great record at Falkirk. See where they were before and after his time there. That type of club where he probably has to do just about everything will suit him.

I'm sure we'd take 4th place now and being able to argue about winning 3-0 at home to St Johnstone because they had a couple of chances.

Didn't arrest the slide bit there was a lot of factors involved. I think at Inverness he already hash players to play football and to take a more physical approach if required.

Anyway, the guy cared about Hibs and worked every minute of the day almost for us. The stick he takes for thinks like the way he speaks is awful. I'd like to say un Hibby like but these days that doesn't seem to be the case.

mca
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Seems the calley fans are a mixed bunch as well..

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/27616-the-new-manager-thread/page-50

Hope the link works..

Northernhibee
03-12-2013, 06:24 PM
He was a 40/1 shot last week with the bookies and I didnae put money on it :grr:

mca
03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
He was a 40/1 shot last week with the bookies and I didnae put money on it :grr:

What the odds on Tony Mowbray walking in instead !!!!

davieh
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
yogi's record is not too bad overall... i thought it pretty harsh for him to get binned by Hartlepool after doing the near impossible of keeping them up.

good luck to him

Paisley Hibby
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Snobby cr@p, not to mention cowardly, as i very much doubt the majority doing it would have the cajones to say it to his face.
Yogi tried to have the team playing the right way, ultimately it didn't work out after a promising start, but at least he tried to do the right thing. Unlike some of the dummies who failed trying to play the 'wrong' way (who seem to get less grief than JH).

His passion for the club was genuine and upfront and i think it was a mix of bad luck and too many risky signings which lead to a dressing room full of bigmouths and big heads but he obviously thought the waifs and strays that he signed were worth a gamble (i kind of agree that it was worth a bash).

Of all the recent 'failures' as manager i still believe he is the one that should have been given longer. No guarantee it would have worked out but if it had, i think it would have been good to watch and also if it was successful i reckon the emotional ties to the club may have seen him hang around a bit longer than most if he was being 'headhunted'.

Too many absolute phantoms on here that think playing computer games qualifies them as 'experts'. And quite a few who seemed to be determined that he would and should fail from the outset. Some of whom appeared (and still do it seems) to take great pleasure when it did start to go wrong.

I wouldn't put it past JH to continue the success at ICT, then a few on here will require large helpings of humble pie.
And if TB fails to deliver the goods with us i wouldn't put it past some of the fickle nutters here to want JH back.
TB was one of the 2 or 3 that i hoped would get the job this time round, so delighted that he did.
I hope to the wee imaginary man in the sky that he is hugely successful. Though if i'm honest, i'm already wondering if i'm going to enjoy watching his 'brand' of fitba. I hope i love it but i ain't sure i will.

GGTTH

Some good points sadtom but I don't think it's snobby crap to hold an opinion that Yogi isn't a very good manager? He got off to a good start at ER but once he built his own team he was found out. It's also quite telling that Hartlepool didn't want to keep him. However, you might be right. ICT have done well in the past with managers who went on to do badly elsewhere. Maybe this time they will do the same trick in reverse.

Andy74
03-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Some good points sadtom but I don't think it's snobby crap to hold an opinion that Yogi isn't a very good manager? He got off to a good start at ER with Mowbray/Collins' team. But once he built his own team he was found out. It's also quite telling that Hartlepool didn't want to keep him. However, you might be right. ICT have done well in the past with managers who went on to do badly elsewhere. Maybe this time they will do the same trick in reverse.

Stokes, Miller and McBride just off the top of my head were pretty key. They were his players.

Paisley Hibby
03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Stokes, Miller and McBride just off the top of my head were pretty key. They were his players.

True - and he wasn't able to hold on to Stokes which was not his fault. But the likes of de Graaf, Duffy, Grounds and Trakys were also his signings.

weonlywon6-2
03-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Na no really,its Inverness not Man utd.
Plenty managers out there that could do a decent job there,surprised at Yogi being first choice though

WhileTheChief..
03-12-2013, 09:18 PM
When Hughes signed Stokes and Millar I was so excited thinking that this was the beginning of something special. It felt like all the years of selling our best players had come to an end and we were now signing real quality.

Then we did the East stand and i thought we were finally ready to really kick on and benefit from the years of prudence.

Sadly it didn't work out that way but I now have these same feelings of enthusiasm.

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2013, 09:22 PM
No offence to Yogi, as I love the man and largely agree with Sad Tom's post, but it doesn't say a great deal about Paul Hartley's interview skills technique if he's being eliminated already.

Might want to brush up on that, Paul.

Ronniekirk
03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
When Hughes signed Stokes and Millar I was so excited thinking that this was the beginning of something special. It felt like all the years of selling our best players had come to an end and we were now signing real quality.

Then we did the East stand and i thought we were finally ready to really kick on and benefit from the years of prudence.

Sadly it didn't work out that way but I now have these same feelings of enthusiasm.
Let's hope these feelings of enthusiasm have a happier ending than Yogis Tenure.

Arch Stanton
03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

They also took the wages to turnover ratio higher than the club could support - finding good players within a tight budget would have been more impressive!

sadtom
03-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Some good points sadtom but I don't think it's snobby crap to hold an opinion that Yogi isn't a very good manager? He got off to a good start at ER but once he built his own team he was found out. It's also quite telling that Hartlepool didn't want to keep him. However, you might be right. ICT have done well in the past with managers who went on to do badly elsewhere. Maybe this time they will do the same trick in reverse.

Absolutely PH, it's not snobby crap if you think he is a bad manager. But it is snobby crap if you think he's not a good manager because he doesn't come from a privileged background or speak with a plum in his mouth. Unfortunately from the moment he was appointed there were a number of posters who lambasted him on those points alone and decided that he would fail on the strength of that prejudice.

Witnessed by some of the pathetic and downright insulting comments on here (aye, you Bestie RIP. Strange that yer username is lauding an alky waste of talent who was hardly a boffin himself, or in anyway eloquent).
Yogi is a Hibs man he doesn't deserve the stick he is getting and some of the disgraceful comments are bang out of order.

My personal belief is that he could be a decent manager. Some folk talk about him being a bully and some talked of him being a clown who tried to be 'one of the lads'. So which was it? Seems he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Yogi took risks with some of his signings, effectively targeting some players who had 'issues' of some sort. Players who lost their way a bit. Players who without those issues would have been out our price range. So rather than playing it safe he tried to 'rehabilitate' some.
Some done well, some started ok and faded and some it never worked at all.

Maybe it was right to bin him when it appeared he'd lost the dressing room. Alternatively it may have been prudent to allow him to bin the failures and billy big baws and rebuild. I honestly believe he has some good ideas on the game and wants to play in a progressive manner.
On the other hand Fenlons Hibs looked clueless from the off yet some made excuse after excuse for him and demanded he was given time, when he was clearly failing while playing an eye bleeding brand.
I would have liked to have seen JH get the same level of forgiveness/support.

Diclonius
03-12-2013, 10:43 PM

McBride was the most underrated part of Yogi's team imo. Our performance dropped after he did his foot in.

sadtom
03-12-2013, 10:48 PM
McBride was the most underrated part of Yogi's team imo. Our performance dropped after he did his foot in.

Agreed.
Thought for a number of months he and Miller worked really well together and looked far and away the best centre mid pair in the country.

IWasThere2016
03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
I would have liked to have seen JH get the same level of forgiveness/support.

I think the fundamental difference was PF said the right things and Yogi didn't. The 'real fitbaw folk', and the dig at the commentator who asked an awkward question and Yogi said some nonsense like 'ah thought we were pals' and then denying a signing (Trakys?) when he'd told the Press the day before. Some of it was plain embarrassing. There also his piss poor cup record, worst ever home record and there were clearly behind the scenes issues with the 'previous incumbent' comment from RP. Yogi was his own worst enemy at times - it will be interesting to see if he's learned from his mistakes and succeeds at ICT. He certainly stands a good chance of landing the CIS Cup this year!

jacomo
03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
I think the fundamental difference was PF said the right things and Yogi didn't. The 'real fitbaw folk', and the dig at the commentator who asked an awkward question and Yogi said some nonsense like 'ah thought we were pals' and then denying a signing (Trakys?) when he'd told the Press the day before. Some of it was plain embarrassing. There also his piss poor cup record, worst ever home record and there were clearly behind the scenes issues with the 'previous incumbent' comment from RP. Yogi was his own worst enemy at times - it will be interesting to see if he's learned from his mistakes and succeeds at ICT. He certainly stands a good chance of landing the CIS Cup this year!

All true but most of this happened after Stokes left and Yogi seemed to panic a wee bit as the job got away from him. He said plenty of daft stuff but I think a lot of it was him reacting badly under pressure.

In retrospect, binning him for Calderwood was criminal but - like Fenlon - it seemed the Hibs job was a bit too big for him.

Some of the disrespect shown to him by Hibs fans is embarrassing though - he loves the club and tried his best, and deserves to be treated well.

sadtom
03-12-2013, 11:23 PM

I think most of that is a fair enough criticism. Though some managers get hailed for being belligerent with the press and are praised for their single mindedness and straight talking, street fighting attitude.
I think the interpretation of the comments often stems from the already held opinions of the person commentating.
No doubt Yogi had flaws and made mistakes. I hope he has learned from them.
For what its worth I think fenlon made some really stupid comments but did not get the same level of abuse.
He talked about Leigh 'growing up' and stop reacting to the fans. Then as manager of our club during the most gut wrenching game in our history, gave the hertz the GIRUY gesture. It was cringeworthy and a sign of weakness IMHO yet many on here lapped it up.
Imagine Yogi had done it? He would have been slaughtered for being 'classless' or not leading by example and allowing them to 'get under his skin'.

Anyway Yogi, if yer looking for an assistant, I could do with a change of career. lol

Bostonhibby
04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Yogi wasn't our best manager ever but was pretty successful in recent terms. I just think it came through in his utterances that he had no idea how to get out of the slump once it set in. Never doubted his commitment to us or his support for the club, he is a former captain who undoubtedly has a place in his heart for Hibs, if he learnt anything along the way he is likely to do well at ICT if that's where he goes. The LC is winnable and his interview once they knock the poppy thieves out would be worth the money.

I wish him well.

MKHIBEE
04-12-2013, 08:35 AM
yogi's record is not too bad overall... i thought it pretty harsh for him to get binned by Hartlepool after doing the near impossible of keeping them up.

good luck to him

They were relegated under yogi

Billy Whizz
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
They were relegated under yogi

You can hardly blame him for that, they were practically down before he joined

Speedway
04-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Tango would've been ideal for them. Wonder why he was barely even quoted?

cabbageandribs1875
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25203280

John Hughes has been confirmed as the new manager of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
The 49-year-old former Hibernian and Falkirk boss replaces Terry Butcher and has signed a two-and-a-half year deal with the Scottish Premiership club.

Robinho08
04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I think they will be just fine. He had a great record at Falkirk. See where they were before and after his time there. That type of club where he probably has to do just about everything will suit him.

I'm sure we'd take 4th place now and being able to argue about winning 3-0 at home to St Johnstone because they had a couple of chances.

Didn't arrest the slide bit there was a lot of factors involved. I think at Inverness he already hash players to play football and to take a more physical approach if required.

Anyway, the guy cared about Hibs and worked every minute of the day almost for us. The stick he takes for thinks like the way he speaks is awful. I'd like to say un Hibby like but these days that doesn't seem to be the case.

:top marks

steakbake
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
A strange choice to be honest but we'll see how he gets on. He inherits a good team who are flying high just now and so I wish him all the very best of luck except v us.

Brizo
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM

The credit for Stokes and McBride initially going to Falkirk lies with a Falkirk scout who had worked with Liam Brady at Celtc and used that connection to get them from the Arsenal Academy when Brady was in charge there. Im reliably informed said scout was quite irked that Yogi regularly took credit for finding them.

Ive heard enough about Yogis man management style and the dressing room problems that went on when he was in charge not to buy into the pro Yogi camp. And its nothing to do with how he speaks... its about how im told he treated players, particularly young players. Its always surprised me that despite his hard man image players with problems were allowed to bring those problems into the dressing room and have a detrimental effect on others.

At both Hibs and Hartlepool Yogi had an excellent start which then tailed off. My view is that Yogis bullying management style has a short term effect but longer term it alienates players and makes them resentful. I predict the same at ICT.

Spike Mandela
04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Should make the next ICT v Hibs game quite tasty.:cb

Billy Whizz
04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
A strange choice to be honest but we'll see how he gets on. He inherits a good team who are flying high just now and so I wish him all the very best of luck except v us.

I think Inverness have a few good kids, and with Yogi's experience of bringing through youth at Falkirk, he seemed a good fit.

Can't remember however who he blooded at ER, but good luck to him, hope they beat the Yams in the Cup semi

Eternal Hibbie
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Think Falkirk and ICT with their crowds of 2-3,000 and low expectations are probably Yogi's level though with Caley punching above their weight the past few seasons he'll be under pressure to produce the goods.

Squealing pig
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Does this mean im ITK lol

weonlywon6-2
04-12-2013, 04:00 PM

It is a strange choice,thought there was better out there but good luck to him,a real character and good to have him back in the league.
Caley play the wongas soon so best of luck,he may actually beat them for once!

HibbyKeith
04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Just watched yogi's interview on sky, the good old "Spirit" & "Siege Mentality" were in there..

Best of luck to him, But hope the Inverness fans are prepared for plan A only, I cant seem to remember much of a plan B during his time at Hibs.

MKHIBEE
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
You can hardly blame him for that, they were practically down before he joined

Not blaming him, I thought they might do enough to stay up, he was on a hiding to nothing.

.Sean.
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
What a bunch of snobs on here. Some ridiculous comments.

Wish him all the best.

Hiber-nation
04-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Good luck Yogi.

Iggy Pope
04-12-2013, 05:41 PM
I think Inverness have a few good kids, and with Yogi's experience of bringing through youth at Falkirk, he seemed a good fit.

Can't remember however who he blooded at ER, but good luck to him, hope they beat the Yams in the Cup semi

Wotherspoon.
Lee Currie?
Kurtis Byrne?
Callum Booth?
all in all half a double winning u19 side?

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Discussing Yogi is always likely to end up in name calling and other unproductive posts. However that is the nature of forums like this. Have to say that some of the more pompous postings kinda look like they are from folk who don't like other people having opinions if they differ from theirs. Criticise the posts rather than the posters. Not doing that brings out the handbags.

FitbaFolkKen
04-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Libero
First Team Regular

If as we hear the final three candidates were Hartley, Sheils and Hughes then i would have had them in the following order of preference Hartley, Hughes and then Shiels.

Would have preferred Hartley but if it is Hughes coming in then we can expect slick passing football and a very hard working unit. Think his style of play will fit in well with our players. He is a motivator and i think more a tactician than Butcher

I for one will be glad to see the back of long ball guff anyway

Whoever comes in will have my support

Amazing what different fans views of other clubs are!

Northernhibee
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Wotherspoon.
Lee Currie?
Kurtis Byrne?
Callum Booth?
all in all half a double winning u19 side?

Booth was handed his debut by CC against Ayr United away.

Vini1875
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Good luck Yogi, except against us obviously.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 07:37 AM
After his press conference yesterday, I'll give him 44 days. Still slavering the same pish.

I think ICT have tried to replace like for like, and will fail badly, once the pros. take a tumble to him.

The Sea-gull
05-12-2013, 08:31 AM

GGTTH

Seen as I started the thread I thought I should respond to your post. I agree with most of what you said. My own comment was only meant to be a bit of banter based on the sort of thing he says and certainly not a snobby put down of Yogi.I was really gutted that it never worked out for Yogi at Hibs as I like him and his passion for the club (as I was with JC and Mixu for the same reasons).

Managerially he did as good a job as any Hibs manager (not hard I know) in the last 6 years has done. He is the last Hibs manager to have us playing good football and regularly scoring goals. The only one to do it in the afore mentioned 6 year time frame. It did go very, very wrong for him though and it has to be said that the period February 2010 - October 2010 that he presided over has gone a long way towards our current state.

He did do a good job at Falkirk - look at where they are since he left. They are a similar sized club to ICT with similar facilities (stadium, training facilities etc) and support base, trying to do the same job. The job he did at Falkirk will be what attracted them to him.

The only blot on his CV is his time at Hibs but he's not the only manager with that blot. His time at Hartlepool can be discounted as he actually got them closer to the other teams in the league than they were when he took over, even though they were still relegated.

Don't see Yogi being ultra successful up there. Can see ICT being top 6 this season but back in the bottom 6 for seasons to come after this, unless they invest. That is not a slight against Yogi, anyone would find it difficult to sustain up there with the crowds they get, hence the reason TB probably left. He knew it would be difficult to meet the growing expectations of the small group of fans who go and watch them.

There is a slight feeling that this appointment could have disaster written all over it but best of luck to Yogi. A good Hibs man.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 08:50 AM
If anyone wants to look at a Yogis record, they'll see that his wins to games ratio is below 50% at every club he has managed. Yet, he somehow manages to talk himself into well paid jobs, despite having no track record to speak of.

The way he plays the working class card is insulting, and totally from a different time. Inverted snobbery is as bad, if not worse, than any other kind. Anybody that falls for it deserves what they get.

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Wish him all the best.

Struggling to see snobby or ridiculous comments to be honest .Sean.

Highlighting his failings/ perceived failings isn't snobby or ridiculous. Slating his ability as a football manager as a result of his background would be, but I'm not seeing that other than in its gentlest form.

The only time I've seen him at close quarters as a manager was the pre-season v NEC Nijmegen in Holland, and without any doubt that was an example of the most basic football management I've ever seen. Permanently, loudly and furiously berating players in a tirade a Tourettes sufferer would have been proud of didn't strike me as being indicative of a top class manager.

Still, no hard feelings to the guy, I just don't think he is very good, and his undoubted passion for the game can only get him so far.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Struggling to see snobby or ridiculous comments to be honest .Sean.

Highlighting his failings/ perceived failings isn't snobby or ridiculous. Slating his ability as a football manager as a result of his background would be, but I'm not seeing that other than in its gentlest form.

The only time I've seen him at close quarters as a manager was the pre-season v NEC Nijmegen in Holland, and without any doubt that was an example of the most basic football management I've ever seen. Permanently, loudly and furiously berating players in a tirade a Tourettes sufferer would have been proud of didn't strike me as being indicative of a top class manager.

Still, no hard feelings to the guy, I just don't think he is very good, and his undoubted passion for the game can only get him so far.

It's Yogi that uses his background as credentials. If he fails in jobs, as he did at Hibs, it's fair game to question if his philosophy of "hard graft" and "giving it a right good go ", is the right one for an SPL manager.

If I was an ICT fan, I'd be wondering what he was talking about in his press conference yesterday. I'd rather he was praising the squad he has, than try to score brownie points with his working class hero act.

More to the point, his players will soon see through him, if that's all he has to offer. His management style might have worked with kids at Falkirk, but he runs into problems when he tries it with seasoned pros.

His biggest challenge is to convince the players that he's a worthy replacement for Butcher. On yesterday's showing, he will struggle.

theonlywayisup
05-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Wish him all the best.

A Falkirk fan once said to me just after he joined Hibs something along the lines of "the good times will be great, but don't expect him to turn things around once the going gets tough".

That was exactly how things panned out. Up until half-time against Rangers at Ibrox, things were great. The next game was a 5-1 thumping away to St. Johnstone and it all went downhill after that game and he seemed incapable of stopping the downward spiral.

Good luck, though. His heart is in the right place. A great guy and he will always be a Hibs man, no matter what is thrown at him. Hope he wins the League Cup with ICT.

Twa Cairpets
05-12-2013, 02:22 PM

A Falkirk fan once said to me just after he joined Hibs something along the lines of "the good times will be great, but don't expect him to turn things around once the going gets tough".

That was exactly how things panned out. Up until half-time against Rangers at Ibrox, things were great. The next game was a 5-1 thumping away to St. Johnstone and it all went downhill after that game and he seemed incapable of stopping the downward spiral.

Good luck, though. His heart is in the right place. A great guy and he will always be a Hibs man, no matter what is thrown at him. Hope he wins the League Cup with ICT.

I was at one Hibs - Falkirk game when he was with the Bairns, sitting in the West just behind the dugout. His reaction of fist pumping, Fenlon-esque "gerrit-right-f******-up-youse c****", directed towards everyone in the immediate vicinity when they scored and a continuing stream of invective to the Hibs fans for the rest of the game thereafter did certainly suggest he was not necessarily in the mood to bond with followers of his boyhood heroes at the point in time, considering that what was thrown at him wasn't exactly vitriolic. Not doubting he is a Hibby at heart - I don't know and don't particularly care to be honest - but he certainly doesn't bleed tears of green if that was anything to go by. It was pretty much as far removed from Hibs class as you could get, unless he had turned up wearing a maroon suit and spent the morning on the chorey for charity tins.

hibeeleicester
05-12-2013, 02:31 PM
If anyone wants to look at a Yogis record, they'll see that his wins to games ratio is below 50% at every club he has managed. Yet, he somehow manages to talk himself into well paid jobs, despite having no track record to speak of.

The way he plays the working class card is insulting, and totally from a different time. Inverted snobbery is as bad, if not worse, than any other kind. Anybody that falls for it deserves what they get.

Don't see why this is a valid point.

Most managers win to game ration is under 50%. I think butchers is under 40%.

Yogi is a good manger he will be fine up there.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Don't see why this is a valid point.

Most managers win to game ration is under 50%. I think butchers is under 40%.

Yogi is a good manger he will be fine up there.

Fair enough, but most managers get the sack.

Time will tell.

Itsnoteasy
05-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Scottish Cup final will be interesting this year ICT v HFC. Yogi will roll over for us.:agree:

PeeJay
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
It's Yogi that uses his background as credentials. If he fails in jobs, as he did at Hibs, it's fair game to question if his philosophy of "hard graft" and "giving it a right good go ", is the right one for an SPL manager.

If I was an ICT fan, I'd be wondering what he was talking about in his press conference yesterday. I'd rather he was praising the squad he has, than try to score brownie points with his working class hero act.

More to the point, his players will soon see through him, if that's all he has to offer. His management style might have worked with kids at Falkirk, but he runs into problems when he tries it with seasoned pros.

His biggest challenge is to convince the players that he's a worthy replacement for Butcher. On yesterday's showing, he will struggle.

Not sure what press conference you are referring to, but in the video posted on the BBC (05/12/13) he was certainly praising the players, the squad and the club as well. I don't think he nailed the PC as he maybe should have done, but your "Brownie points" assertion that he constantly references his working-class roots seems to me to be a slightly skewed reflection of what was presented. I have a sneaking suspicion you may well also think that his accent is somewhat affected :greengrin... it's all irrelevant, of course - time will tell, as you say, and results on the field alone will show if he is indeed a worthy replacement for Butcher - personally, I wish him all the best.

Phil D. Rolls
05-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Not sure what press conference you are referring to, but in the video posted on the BBC (05/12/13) he was certainly praising the players, the squad and the club as well. I don't think he nailed the PC as he maybe should have done, but your "Brownie points" assertion that he constantly references his working-class roots seems to me to be a slightly skewed reflection of what was presented. I have a sneaking suspicion you may well also think that his accent is somewhat affected :greengrin... it's all irrelevant, of course - time will tell, as you say, and results on the field alone will show if he is indeed a worthy replacement for Butcher - personally, I wish him all the best.

He said something about - doing a hard days graft, a good honest day's work, and keeping your head below the parapet :dunno:. Perhaps Invernesians would get it.

It was classic Yogi, and made no sense at all. I think it was in STV. Would have done Ron Manager proud, all he had to do was start talking about Sunblest on the table, and Batman on TV.

There is no way that accent is put on though.

Iggy Pope
05-12-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks

The question mark indicates my uncertainty.
Think the rest might all be Yogi introductions though?

Borderhibbie76
05-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Never forget maribor match away when yogi in his wisdom benched both riordan and stokes. ..even our taxi driver to ground couldn't believe it!! Good luck to ICT...think they will need it!!

sleeping giant
05-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Good luck to John Hughes. Always been a decent guy whenever i have met him.

Beefster
06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
If Hibs fans are this harsh on a manager who was great for the first seven months before losing the plot, I can't imagine how Fenlon is going to be viewed in two years.

(((Fergus)))
06-12-2013, 01:43 PM
He said something about - doing a hard days graft, a good honest day's work, and keeping your head below the parapet :dunno:. Perhaps Invernesians would get it.

It was classic Yogi, and made no sense at all. I think it was in STV. Would have done Ron Manager proud, all he had to do was start talking about Sunblest on the table, and Batman on TV.

There is no way that accent is put on though.

He has about 20-30 "working class" soundbites that he mixes and matches in every interview. It is very entertaining, especially if you predict the right phrases - sort of "Bingo bingo".

Phil D. Rolls
06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
He has about 20-30 "working class" soundbites that he mixes and matches in every interview. It is very entertaining, especially if you predict the right phrases - sort of "Bingo bingo".

Some people fall for it, but they're still ****ing peasants, as far as I can see. :agree:

chrisski33
06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
:top marks

Hear hear! Didnt work out fully whilst at hibs but ue cared and showed it and still does. Wish him all the best at inverness

goosefat
06-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Here's the difference:

Yogi talks a great game but doesn't have the tactical nous.

Butcher talks the talk and walks the walk (at SPFL level). I suspect the ICT board heard a lot of the same things as TB told them before he got the job and they all lapped it up.

Basically, Yogi isn't a very good manager.

Andy74
06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Here's the difference:

Yogi talks a great game but doesn't have the tactical nous.

Butcher talks the talk and walks the walk (at SPFL level). I suspect the ICT board heard a lot of the same things as TB told them before he got the job and they all lapped it up.

Basically, Yogi isn't a very good manager.

Hasn't Yogi had a team finish higher in the SPL than Butcher has? And a Scottish Cup Final?

goosefat
06-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Hasn't Yogi had a team finish higher in the SPL than Butcher has? And a Scottish Cup Final?

You can prove anything with facts. :wink:

I stand by what I say, though. Yogi is all hot air. That's why BBC Sportsound have been paying his wages whilst he has been looking for a 'proper' job.

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2013, 08:38 PM

I stand by what I say, though. Yogi is all hot air. That's why BBC Sportsound have been paying his wages whilst he has been looking for a 'proper' job.

Yip all the hot air got falkirk to europe and a cup final place, also hibs a 4th place finish and a european spot.

Obviously when we started playing bad the air got cooler. :rolleyes:

goosefat
06-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Yip all the hot air got falkirk to europe and a cup final place, also hibs a 4th place finish and a european spot.

Fenlon got us to 2 cup finals and also got us punted from Europe at the first hurdle.

Butcher out. Yogi in (with Fenlon as assistant).

chrisski33
06-12-2013, 08:46 PM

I think your all hot air yourself lol

goosefat
06-12-2013, 08:49 PM
I think your all hot air yourself lol

It's actually YOU'RE not YOUR.

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Fenlon got us to 2 cup finals and also got us punted from Europe at the first hurdle.

Butcher out. Yogi in (with Fenlon as assistant).

Hughes got Falkirk punching way above their weight, he also got hibs punching their weight. Fenlon never achieved this at all.

Its become a ritual to say Hughes achievements were all down to luck, and when we played badly it was because of him being a bad manager.

goosefat
06-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Hughes got Falkirk punching way above their weight, he also got hibs punching their weight. Fenlon never achieved this at all.

Its become a ritual to say Hughes achievements were all down to luck, and when we played badly it was because of him being a bad manager.Yip all the hot air got falkirk to europe and a cup final place, also hibs a 4th place finish and a european spot.Yip all the hot air got falkirk to europe and a cup final place, also hibs a 4th place finish and a european spot.

"...Yip all the hot air got falkirk to europe and a cup final place, also hibs a 4th place finish and a european spot..."

Yip.. Careful now. Stating openly on this forum that Hibs are punching above their weight by getting to a cup final and 4th place may get you banned.

:wink:

Mibbes Aye
06-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks

The question mark indicates my uncertainty.
Think the rest might all be Yogi introductions though?

Booth played (and played well, from memory) in a pre-season friendly away to East Fife under Hughes. It was close enough to a full-strength team IIRC.

Ayr would be his competitive debut I assume.

The Modfather
06-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Its become a ritual to say Hughes achievements were all down to luck, and when we played badly it was because of him being a bad manager.

Your opinion changes with the wind doesn't it. I genuinely believe you enjoy arguing and often just choose the minority side in a debate, you used to give Hughes such grief. Now here you are back in the minority.

A bit odd, but no harm done :)

goosefat
06-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Your opinion changes with the wind doesn't it. I genuinely believe you enjoy arguing and often just choose the minority side in a debate, you used to give Hughes such grief. Now here you are back in the minority.

Indeed. But really, who honestly gives a flying ha'penny * about Yogi and ITC. If we want to dig up the past I'm fairly certain that there are some bring back deek and gaz posts for all that *.

The point is, Hibs will pap Thistle 2-zip the morn and then I'll be off for a Chinese after the game. Happy dayz...

:flag:

chrisski33
06-12-2013, 10:04 PM
It's actually YOU'RE not YOUR.

:rolleyes:

Get a life

blackpoolhibs
06-12-2013, 10:19 PM

You have just made a right james hunt of yourself. :faf:

I think its you that needs to have a word with yourself, go use the search button and come up with a post where i have given Highes grief, go on i dare you.

I said when he was sacked it was probably right, but i backed him for most of his tenure. Admit it, you just made the whole thing up?

Ronniekirk
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM

So are you saying Yogi s smarter than the average bear:dunno:

Hibercelona
07-12-2013, 05:42 AM
If Yogi gets the job, I bet he proves majority on here wrong and does quite well for himself. Watch this post.

California-Hibs
07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
If Yogi gets the job, I bet he proves majority on here wrong and does quite well for himself. Watch this post.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/25203280

Bit slow there mate, Yogi IS the new Inverness manager!

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
So are you saying Yogi s smarter than the average bear:dunno:

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2013, 06:12 PM

You are very quiet Frank?

Leith Green
10-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Surely you have to accept the facts though B.H . Hughes had us punching above or at our weight for 5 months , he then had us getting an absolute doing for the next 9 months , the results and performances back this up..

I honestly love Yogi to bits as a player and person, i am also respectful of the fact he managed the club, but folk need to face the facts, yogis team were like a rolling stone for 5 months and then a lame duck for the following 9 months, that to me suggests that he is not a very good manager .

No plan b for when other teams had us sussed, seemed to be player unrest kicked in as well, good guy , impact manager at best , probably just shi te though if the truth be told.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Surely you have to accept the facts though B.H . Hughes had us punching above or at our weight for 5 months , he then had us getting an absolute doing for the next 9 months , the results and performances back this up..

I honestly love Yogi to bits as a player and person, i am also respectful of the fact he managed the club, but folk need to face the facts, yogis team were like a rolling stone for 5 months and then a lame duck for the following 9 months, that to me suggests that he is not a very good manager .

No plan b for when other teams had us sussed, seemed to be player unrest kicked in as well, good guy , impact manager at best , probably just shi te though if the truth be told.

Not sure why folk want to make his tenure worse that it actually was, it was the middle of February when things started to go wrong, and we had nearly 3 months off in the summer without a game?

So while i accept his time was up, what i'm taking exception to with Frank is his accusation that i hounded him out the job.

Leith Green
10-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Not sure why folk want to make his tenure worse that it actually was, it was the middle of February when things started to go wrong, and we had nearly 3 months off in the summer without a game?

So while i accept his time was up, what i'm taking exception to with Frank is his accusation that i hounded him out the job.

The 3 months in between were his chance to stop the rot and make the nessecary changes for the following season. He failed to do this, so his last 9 months were a total flop, as were the signings he made to improve things

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2013, 07:36 PM
The 3 months in between were his chance to stop the rot and make the nessecary changes for the following season. He failed to do this, so his last 9 months were a total flop, as were the signings he made to improve things

He was undefeated during the summer break.

Northernhibee
25-01-2014, 06:01 PM
I'll start this off by saying I like Yogi and have time for him, but could see him being emptied before the season is out. ICT in absolute freefall.

Andy74
25-01-2014, 06:23 PM
It's Butcher's team though surely?

Ronniekirk
25-01-2014, 06:24 PM
I'll start this off by saying I like Yogi and have time for him, but could see him being emptied before the season is out. ICT in absolute freefall.

His record since joining isn't great considering whoever managed the team after everyone left didn't get beat . But transfer window is still open and it's early days but warning signs are there .I thought like many it was wrong appointment .He might help us get into top six if results keep going the way they are. Can they beat Hearts if not morale could plummet .The win against Aberdeen showed they can still play but they are clearly missing butcher et al so bodes well for us going forward

Mr White
25-01-2014, 06:24 PM

Form hasnt been great but they won at Pittodrie last week and he could have them in their first ever national final in 8 days time. Pretty sure today's defeat will be forgiven in the highlands if they beat golden garys brave battling soldiers next week.

NadeAteMyLunch!
25-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Can see Hertz winning this one next week. Everything is against ICT. Basically a home game for Hearts, terrible ko time and venue for ICT, Hearts picking up a weeee bit form, ICT basically in free fall. Surely no?

The Sea-gull
25-01-2014, 06:50 PM
It's Butcher's team though surely?

Ha ha. Love your hidden meaning posts Andy! Aye it is Butcher's team - one that was performing consistently well until about two months ago. What has happened since then? The only thing that has changed is the manager. Anyway, I wish no ill on Yogi but not surprised by their results since he went in there. Won't be surprised if it doesn't work out for him there but he could yet turn it around and may even win a cup this season. He did get a very good result at pittodrie last week it has to be said.

stoneyburn hibs
25-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Can see Hertz winning this one next week. Everything is against ICT. Basically a home game for Hearts, terrible ko time and venue for ICT, Hearts picking up a weeee bit form, ICT basically in free fall. Surely no?

ICT will win against them next week.

Brizo
25-01-2014, 07:08 PM
If the ICT players get their boiler suits on and Yogi sprinkles some of his gold dust about the dressing room its in the bag for Caley.

truehibernian
25-01-2014, 07:48 PM
If the ICT players get their boiler suits on and Yogi sprinkles some of his gold dust about the dressing room its in the bag for Caley.

I nearly spat my Merlot out reading that Brizo, so true 😀 well.....I gave it a right good go anyway. Hope my missus doesn't moan about the spillage 'cos she's a right honest person, right hard working sort.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I nearly spat my Merlot out reading that Brizo, so true  well.....I gave it a right good go anyway. Hope my missus doesn't moan about the spillage 'cos she's a right honest person, right hard working sort.

I think you need to get your head below the parapet - and stop indulging in middle class drinks like wine.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Reading Yogis post match comments in the paper today was like being transported back a few years to when he was at Hibs. Same cliches, same stuff about how good the players are at training and same denial that his team were outplayed.

When you compare the way Mixu went away from Hibs, tried to pick up new things and learn from his mistakes and then you see Hughes seeming to do the same old things and hoping for a different outcome. If it doesn't work for him at Inverness it's no ones fault but his.

IWasThere2016
26-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Yogi won't see Christmas at ICT IMHO.

Gatecrasher
26-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Reading Yogis post match comments in the paper today was like being transported back a few years to when he was at Hibs. Same cliches, same stuff about how good the players are at training and same denial that his team were outplayed.

When you compare the way Mixu went away from Hibs, tried to pick up new things and learn from his mistakes and then you see Hughes seeming to do the same old things and hoping for a different outcome. If it doesn't work for him at Inverness it's no ones fault but his.
When I hear his interviews on the radio I think the exact same. I wonder if the ICT fans are still happy to see the back of Butcher.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Really starting to worry whether ICT can beat The Famous next week. Yam form has been picking up, Yogi has Inverness going down the toilet.

It would be just like those jammy gets to scrape into another final - feeding into their delusional belief that they are still a big team. It would be just like Yogi to be the guy that helps them.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I see Yogi has converted Shinnie from RB to CDM...

The Sea-gull
27-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Sunday's semi final will have a massive bearing on how the ICT fans view Yogi's first couple of months.

I wonder if ICT go on to win the cup, whether their fans will debate on and off for 7 years about whether he won it with Butcher's team?

Hibbyradge
27-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Hearts are 9/2 to beat ICT.

That's very generous, imo.

Ronniekirk
27-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Sunday's semi final will have a massive bearing on how the ICT fans view Yogi's first couple of months.

I wonder if ICT go on to win the cup, whether their fans will debate on and off for 7 years about whether he won it with Butcher's team?

Dont think there would be any debate it would be combination of Terry's team and yogis tactics .oh wait the latter is more likely to looses them the final .Think the players will have enough pride and want to lay last years bad performance to rest ,but if they start off missing chances then hearts have shown in last two games they can score away from home so it's going to be interesting game .am tempted to go and support ICT .