PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound/sportscene:

Wellbankhibby
02-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Wanted peoples opinions regards Sportsound and sportscene: First point being Sportsound shutting the programme down at half time of the Cup Ties, Now I am certainly not unsympathetic to the tragic events that took place on Friday night in Glasgow but why cancel the problem at half time. If they were thinking of this why not just cancel the whole programme. As for Sportscene and their commentators how many times did that pillock mention the dreaded final of 2 years ago, and while Im on my high horse they keep on about the Yams having a young kids in their team WHO IS INTERESTED its eleven against eleven. GGTTH :tbgwa:

seanshow
03-12-2013, 12:23 AM
During the incident press conference they gave details of multiple deaths for the first time, hence the show was cancelled at half time.

The Sea-gull
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
The way we are covered by the bbc is poor but things like the helicopter crash put it all into perspective. Decision by the national broadcaster on Saturday afternoon was correct IMHO.

PeterboroHibee
03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Ive no issue with the specific incident you mention (maybe the decision came through late), I think it was right to cancel it!

In terms of the bigger picture, I havent watched Sportscene in a while now. The coverage in general by the BBC for Scottish football is dreadful, and there is always unbelievable bias towards the OF (although nothing new there...). I download the Scottish Football podcast in case there is anything interesting about Hibs on it (not very often), and the amount of nonsense they speak is unbelievable - when you compare that to the major BBC radio shows/podcasts from England (Monday Night Club, 606 Phone in, Friday Night Preview etc), it just seems like worlds apart. What also always amazes me is when there is say a 15 minute build up to a game (and Im including the likes of Sky in this), they can spend at least half of that speaking about either Celtic or Rangers, regardless of whether they are involved in the game.

johnrebus
03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
BBC Scotland is beyond a joke. God knows what will happen if Hancock gets his vote next September, but surely nothing could be worse than what we have at the moment.

I remember the day of the bombs in London after the Olympics announcement.

Both Radio 4 & 5 Live cancelled all scheduled programmes and switched to covering the unfolding tragedy.

Radio Scotland? No. Not even a mention until the usual News bulletin on the hour.

Just the usual drivel that is the Fred MacAulay Show.

I phoned them up and asked if they even knew what was going on in London?

The guy just slammed the phone down.

Pray4Marc
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
There was a good session last night on sport sound with Tom English and Kenny Sheils. Available in the podcast section. With reference to Sportscene and other journalists they are going to have to drop the "naive" "Young boys" excuse over time. Surely can't use any if the past nonsense against a young Dundee United side. They could get beat 7-0 in there next 5 games and Locke's still media gold.

Hibs7
03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
BBC Scotland football reporting is pathetic and will not get any better until most of the clique are sacked... As for shutting down the sportscene commentary on Saturday, I think it was way over the top. They have AM, FM and digital channels .. One could have been left as the sports channel there was no need for all 3 to report on the incident in Glasgow.

stoneyburn hibs
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I can't believe people are whining about losing the football commentary on the BBC for one hour so that it could cover a tragedy.

Geo_1875
03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
They are a public service provider and should provide that service. There are sufficient news outlets to cover the various events as they occur.

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
There was a good session last night on sport sound with Tom English and Kenny Sheils. Available in the podcast section. With reference to Sportscene and other journalists they are going to have to drop the "naive" "Young boys" excuse over time. Surely can't use any if the past nonsense against a young Dundee United side. They could get beat 7-0 in there next 5 games and Locke's still media gold.

I think the angle will change soon. The story will be their fall from grace. Even the worst journalist in the world couldn't cover that without telling how they got in debt in the first place. Over time,they'll become known for spending beyond their means, and not much later they'll be forgotten altogether.

Rangers have enough supporters to be of interest in Division 3, Hearts - despite what they think - don't.

hibee_girl
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I can't believe people are whining about losing the football commentary on the BBC for one hour so that it could cover a tragedy.

:agree:

The_Sauz
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
During the incident press conference they gave details of multiple deaths for the first time, hence the show was cancelled at half time.

They knew about the multiple deaths as early as Saturday morning (hence the minute silence and black arm bands at the Falkirk, Rangers game) yet they still covered the Rangers game :agree:
The BBC Scotland only care about Rangers & Celtic listeners & viewers, so it was an easy decision to close the program down as it would have had low listener figures, hence the reason they had the Celtic game on the Sunday!

Golden Bear
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
BBC Radio Scotland should read BBC Radio Glasgow as that's where most of their broadcasters are based and where their news coverage is mainly focused on.

Cropley10
03-12-2013, 01:28 PM
BBC Radio Scotland should read BBC Radio Glasgow as that's where most of their broadcasters are based and where their news coverage is mainly focused on.

The TV was on BBC 1 last night and after the news there was a documentary about what happened on Friday night. 72 hours after it happened we've got eye-witness stuff, people haven't even been identified and there's a documentary! This is what happens in the age of 24 hour rolling news - everybody must know everything immediately.

Thing is you can go hours without anything new happening.

Personally, I don't see how BBC can cover the Huns game and then say stop. The crash on Friday had, quite obviously killed people, that would have been apparent right away based on the number of people in there and the fact that a massive helicopter was half in the pub.

When this was announced on Saturday afternoon what did it change? Why did we need hours of people continuing to 'report' on the aftermath of a terrible and tragic incident, when actually there wasn't anything new?

Jones28
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Is this even an issue worth discussing? Football show stops to cover major tragedy is hardly headline news. It puts football into perspective.

Scouse Hibee
03-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Is this even an issue worth discussing? Football show stops to cover major tragedy is hardly headline news. It puts football into perspective.

:agree: The only issue for me was the Glasgow woman who assisted, describing herself as a hero!!!!!

Sir David Gray
03-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Wasn't aware of the broadcast being cut at half time as I was at the game on Saturday but I was a bit surprised that they finished with Sportsound on both channels almost immediately after the games ended.

Radio Scotland have two channels on 92-95 FM and 810 MW, I thought they could have stayed with Sportsound and covered the events from Glasgow on the other.

Sportscene is a joke and Liam McLeod should be dismissed for his unprofessional behaviour.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
I am sure that the flak they are getting for taking this decision pales into insignificance against the flak they would have got if they hadn't.

mca
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
The Disaster !! was at approx. half-ten.. so by 11pm it was all over the World wide web..

Granted that Most- probably never heard about it until the next morning !!!

But - the BBC had about 17 Hours or so to decide to interrupt the weegies football station ???

nonshinyfinish
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
IMO it made sense to cut to the live press conference - that was breaking news and was giving new information. After the press conference, I thought it was a strange decision not to go back to the regular programming, but to rehash stuff that had been said before. Not going to slate the BBC for it though, it must be tough to make these decisions knowing that they're going to be scrutinised, and that if your coverage is judged not to be sufficiently respectful you could end up be crucified in the tabloids.