PDA

View Full Version : MacDonald massacre

jodjam
01-12-2013, 06:43 PM
My summer job is taking tourists round Scotland. Fav of the tourists is glencoe and hearing about the macdonald massacre. Now it's gonna take me longer to explain about the macdonald massacre at the PBS and how brave Jamie defied the hoardes.

I'm sure I can paint a picture of torture and massacre that will match glencoe ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
01-12-2013, 09:31 PM
"Oh cruel is the blow,
that struck our foes,
and pummelled the goals O'Donald"

StevieC
01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
My summer job is taking tourists round Scotland. Fav of the tourists is glencoe and hearing about the macdonald massacre.

Putting aside the Yammish connotations ..

.. I'm interested to hear how you explain the massacre.

My understanding is that it was more of an army related attack (with orders from down South) than a clan related massacre. Infact, is it not the case that many of those ordered to attack actually alerted many of them to the situation and allowed them the opportunity to escape?

monktonharp
02-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Putting aside the Yammish connotations ..

.. I'm interested to hear how you explain the massacre.

My understanding is that it was more of an army related attack (with orders from down South) than a clan related massacre. Infact, is it not the case that many of those ordered to attack actually alerted many of them to the situation and allowed them the opportunity to escape?

read the history,not your understanding.you trying to say that there was some sort of selection,as to the ones that really deserved to be slaughtered in their beds?:confused:

StevieC
02-12-2013, 01:19 AM
read the history,not your understanding.you trying to say that there was some sort of selection,as to the ones that really deserved to be slaughtered in their beds?:confused:

Jeezo, mellow out. What are you talking about? I never said such a thing!

I was asking someone, that is telling the story for a living, what the official line on it was.

My "understanding" (based on what Ive read) is that it wasn't a Campbell/McDonald clan massacre (as I used to believe) but was an order passed on to a Regiment based in Glencoe (made up of mixed clansmen).
I've been led to believe (whether rightly or wrongly) that some "Campbells" within the Regiment may have actually helped to save some from the massacre.

If you are up to speed on what actually happened then I'm more than happy to hear your version of events. I'm no expert on Scottish history (not by a long chalk), but always happy to expand my knowledge whenever possible.

jodjam
02-12-2013, 03:40 AM
Jeezo, mellow out. What are you talking about? I never said such a thing!

I was asking someone, that is telling the story for a living, what the official line on it was.

My "understanding" (based on what Ive read) is that it wasn't a Campbell/McDonald clan massacre (as I used to believe) but was an order passed on to a Regiment based in Glencoe (made up of mixed clansmen).
I've been led to believe (whether rightly or wrongly) that some "Campbells" within the Regiment may have actually helped to save some from the massacre.

If you are up to speed on what actually happened then I'm more than happy to hear your version of events. I'm no expert on Scottish history (not by a long chalk), but always to expand my knowledge whenever possible.

Hi Stevie (this is Paul, who helped out at the funeral earlier this year, hope you are well)

Aye it's not as clear cut as Campbell/Macdonald but i'll give a brief description. King William had offered clans opposed to him, money to switch allegiance. The MacDonalds, amongst others, sought assurances from James and then agreed to sign William's document. However due to stalling tactics and other things, the MacDonalds were late signing the document. They did sign and were given assurances the lateness was not a problem.

When the document was passed down to Edinburgh and the privy council, of which Campbell lawyers sat, they saw late signature and together with Lord Stair, removed the MacDonald name hence setting the massacre in motion. Lord Stair was more or less doing Williams bidding in Scotland.

It was an army regiment sent up but it was led by Robert Campbell whose family had had run ins with the MacDonalds over the years. So with Campbell lawyers removing the name and a Campbell leading the regiment this is probably where people get confused and assume it was clan v clan. As to tip offs etc it's a grey area. 1000 people lived there yet 38 were killed. Does this point to troops saving people, or as it was 5am on a winters morning was escape made easier. As i say, there are conflicting views on this. Hope this helps.

StevieC
02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Hi Stevie (this is Paul, who helped out at the funeral earlier this year, hope you are well)

Aye it's not as clear cut as Campbell/Macdonald but i'll give a brief description. King William had offered clans opposed to him, money to switch allegiance. The MacDonalds, amongst others, sought assurances from James and then agreed to sign William's document. However due to stalling tactics and other things, the MacDonalds were late signing the document. They did sign and were given assurances the lateness was not a problem.

When the document was passed down to Edinburgh and the privy council, of which Campbell lawyers sat, they saw late signature and together with Lord Stair, removed the MacDonald name hence setting the massacre in motion. Lord Stair was more or less doing Williams bidding in Scotland.

It was an army regiment sent up but it was led by Robert Campbell whose family had had run ins with the MacDonalds over the years. So with Campbell lawyers removing the name and a Campbell leading the regiment this is probably where people get confused and assume it was clan v clan. As to tip offs etc it's a grey area. 1000 people lived there yet 38 were killed. Does this point to troops saving people, or as it was 5am on a winters morning was escape made easier. As i say, there are conflicting views on this. Hope this helps.

Hi Paul (and thanks again for helping out at my mums funeral),

Yes, the version above is the one that I've read about. When I was younger I was led to believe it was a case of the Campbells coming over the hills and descending on the sleeping MacDonalds. I read about it a couple of years ago and discovered that the version of events were more like you described above. The book I read was of the belief that as there were only 38 massacred (out of the 1,000) then there was a good chance that those instructed to do the killing may well have alerted some to the orders. The book said that many of the Regiment were given food and shelter by the MacDonalds in the lead up to the orders and the author was suggesting that some of the soldiers may have been unwilling to massacre those that had looked after them.

jodjam
02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Hi Paul (and thanks again for helping out at my mums funeral),

Yes, the version above is the one that I've read about. When I was younger I was led to believe it was a case of the Campbells coming over the hills and descending on the sleeping MacDonalds. I read about it a couple of years ago and discovered that the version of events were more like you described above. The book I read was of the belief that as there were only 38 massacred (out of the 1,000) then there was a good chance that those instructed to do the killing may well have alerted some to the orders. The book said that many of the Regiment were given food and shelter by the MacDonalds in the lead up to the orders and the author was suggesting that some of the soldiers may have been unwilling to massacre those that had looked after them.

Aye they were given food and shelter for a number of days. Apparently the MacDonalds did not fear the regiment as they were told they were only resting before going to the next village as the next village had not signed the doc pledging allegiance to William.

I always take guests to the Clachaig Inn at Glencoe. Stunning views, good grub and a lovely single track drive to the village but it's the sign at reception as you walk in thats good....."no hawkers or Campbells allowed"

StevieC
02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I always take guests to the Clachaig Inn at Glencoe. Stunning views, good grub and a lovely single track drive to the village but it's the sign at reception as you walk in thats good....."no hawkers or Campbells allowed"

I camped at the Red Squirrel campsite a couple of years back. Nice wee walk to the village one way, then up to the Clachaig for evening music the other way. Stunning views, absolutely stunning, and if it hadn't been for the downpour and the midgees it would have been the perfect weekend.

Robinho08
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Even some B&B's in Glen Coe have been known to refuse rooms to anyone with the surname Campbell.

It's worth while seeing Glen Coe from the summits above the Glen, particularly the Aonach Eagach ridge.

Who do you work for, jodjam?

Never thought I would be talking about Glen Coe on .net, lol.

jodjam
02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Even some B&B's in Glen Coe have been known to refuse rooms to anyone with the surname Campbell.

It's worth while seeing Glen Coe from the summits above the Glen, particularly the Aonach Eagach ridge.

Who do you work for, jodjam?

Never thought I would be talking about Glen Coe on .net, lol.

Work for myself mate. Get bookings online and a couple high end hotels push tours my way.

JustSimplyHibs
02-12-2013, 03:45 PM

More than 38 of the 200 Macdonald clan members died after the masacre. The red coates of the government army (lead by Campbell) burnt down shelters the people were living in and due to the severe winter many more lives were lost, 40+.

And it was only 38 because the additional Red Coats, who were sent to block the entrance to the Glen. were miles away fighting against the elements and was stopping the advances of the government army onto the Glen, this gave time for some clan members to escape and seek out new shelter.