PDA

View Full Version : Handling has a pop at Fenlon

Winston Ingram
30-11-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-youngster-danny-handling-takes-2866705?

can't disagree with anything that he says

Speedway
30-11-2013, 12:14 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-youngster-danny-handling-takes-2866705?

can't disagree with anything that he says

Where's the pop/swipe at Fenlon?

Winston Ingram
30-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Fair point actually. I am guilty of taking a headline at face value. All he says is he and others were played out of position under PF. No more than that.

LioNeilMessi
30-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Hanlon at right mid? Fenlon really didn't have a clue :greengrin:

Solid journalism from the DR once again.

Thecat23
30-11-2013, 12:33 PM

I think there is a bit of a go at him. Saying how he always played him out of position along with others. Other than that nothing major. Fenlon really was a part time manager who just couldn't step up. I'm glad he's gone and with Butcher in charge it's looking bright.

Keith_M
30-11-2013, 12:41 PM

I was wondering that as well.

Of course "Handling happy to be playing in favoured position" isn't quite so dramatic a headline

O'Rourke3
30-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not sorry Fenlon's gone but the story could easily be, "Under 21's get first team football under progressive manager. Playing in positions they are unused to, it shows the faith the manager had in them to adapt."

I'm still in the players often don't know their best positions.... Having said that Danny I think is suited to "the hole"

Seveno
30-11-2013, 12:48 PM
My recollection is that Handling was playing in his favoured position just before he got injured.

S4uzee
30-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Should younger players looking for a breakthrough not be happy to play anywhere?

WestEndHibee
30-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Yeh another case of a red rag trying to cause controversy to sell papers. To be fair I think Danny was probable very frustrated not being able to play his best, but he didn't say anything untoward in that interview. It wouldn't do anyone any good if he really came out against Fenlon. Hope he gets a new lease of life again, shows signs of a quality player.

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Awful article. Noone else notice that they spelt Fenlon wrong in the headline!! FFS, how poor is that?!? Also Hanlon instead of Handling and it says that Fenlon got sacked when he didn't. Heard just yesterday that Handling is really enjoying working under Terry, however he also had a lot of time/respect for Fenlon for giving him his chance. Source was Danny himself.

Winston Ingram
30-11-2013, 12:53 PM
My recollection is that Handling was playing in his favoured position just before he got injured.

He ceertainly played in his right position v Malmo

Winston Ingram
30-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Should younger players looking for a breakthrough not be happy to play anywhere?

There is a lot to be said for that but considering the step up they have to endure when stepping up to add another hurdle like playing in a position that you've never played must make it it even more daunting

shamo9
30-11-2013, 01:01 PM
The only really good game where I've seen him change the flow completely is against Falkirk when he played right midfield. There was also a game this season before his injury against Ross County I think where he was probably MOTM at right midfield.

I'm sure he'll be good upfront, he just has to go prove it (today would be a nice start:wink:)

PeterboroHibee
30-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Ive never really rated him when he was playing at right midfield, I dont think he had either the pace or the trickery to really take a man on. I suppose Im a bit surprised he sees himself as a number 10 (even though he played there last weekend) as again, I think it takes a certain amount of skill and vision to play in that role. Im happy to be proved wrong by him though and hopefully if he is happier there, he will start performing every week!

--------
30-11-2013, 02:49 PM

No. The idea is to bring on a young player until he's ready to take a regular place in the first team - it's about education and development, and playing a player out of position does nothing for his education or his development.

The place for experimentation is on the training ground, not on the pitch on matchday. Some players can slot into different positions in the side, but I remember Jim O'Rourke being labelled a "utility player" at ER and spending years in and out of the team until Turnbull started playing him regularly in his natural position - just behind and beside Alan Gordon.

In the days of one sub, Jimmy would be that sub, and could find himself playing at left-back, right-midfield, centre-forward - I think the only place he didn't play was in goal, and that was because Arthur Duncan was our replacement keeper. When the goalie was injured, Jimmy ended up on the left wing.

A manager can ruin a young player by insisting he plays in a position that isn't his natural one. John Blackley started off in the RB position, and really didn't look awfully impressive. When he moved to sweeper, he was a revelation - one of the best defenders I've ever seen. Joe Jordan started off as a player who could either play at centre forward or at centre-back. He only blossomed when he was played consistently at centre-forward.

Play a player in his (or her) natural position, and you'll get the best out of that player, and the best for your team.

Itsnoteasy
30-11-2013, 04:13 PM
The only player no to be oot o position was the goalie.
**** useless ****.

WestEndHibee
30-11-2013, 07:24 PM
The only player no to be oot o position was the goalie.
**** useless ****.

Insightful

Jonnyboy
30-11-2013, 07:48 PM
The problem with trash journalism like this is that the player gets marked as a tattletale when in fact he simply stated the facts.