PDA

View Full Version : Cummings in cup squad

Hermit Crab
29-11-2013, 12:23 PM
As it says.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/butcher-calls-up-jason-cummings-for-cup-clash-1-3213892

HFC07
29-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Seems like a promising young lad :flag:

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Good on Butcher having the sense to include him, instead of the usual Hibs way of waiting till he's 21, giving three or four games, putting him out on loan to a lower club, giving him another 3 or 4 games, then not renewing his contract.

He's a goalscoring talent, we need that - give him the jersey.

IFONLY
29-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Good on Butcher having the sense to include him, instead of the usual Hibs way of waiting till he's 21, giving three or four games, putting him out on loan to a lower club, giving him another 3 or 4 games, then not renewing his contract.

He's a goalscoring talent, we need that - give him the jersey.Totally agree, the lad seems to score for fun. Give him a chance I say.

blaikie
29-11-2013, 03:11 PM

He's a goalscoring talent, we need that - give him the jersey.

Exactly!

Kurtis Byrne, Damon Gray, Ross Campbell and Patrick Deane!
all of them were cutting it in the u19s and reserves but never got a real introduction into the first team until they were 20/21.

Good move by Butcher!

Billy Whizz
29-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Exactly!

all of them were cutting it in the u19s and reserves but never got a real introduction into the first team until they were 20/21.

Good move by Butcher!

I'd wish he promote Sammy Stanton as well

PeterboroHibee
29-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I see Butcher has compared him to Goodwillie and Russell who were both really good in the SPL (well, at least first time round for Goodwillie!), which is quite exciting. I always like seeing young players getting called into the first team as their is often an energy and unknown about them that can make that difference in games.

Exactly!

Good move by Butcher!

The players you mention are at the following level -

Kurtis Byrne - Dundalk
Damon Gray - Junior football
Ross Campbell - without a club for 2 years
Patrick Deane - apparently junior football

I dont know what you are trying to imply (that if they were brought into the team at 18/19 they would have been good enough??) but the fact they are all now at a fairly low level compared to the SPL Id say we havent exactly lost out by not bringing any of them through (especially as, up until this season, we have always had excellent strikers).

blaikie
29-11-2013, 03:52 PM
I see Butcher has compared him to Goodwillie and Russell who were both really good in the SPL (well, at least first time round for Goodwillie!), which is quite exciting. I always like seeing young players getting called into the first team as their is often an energy and unknown about them that can make that difference in games.

The players you mention are at the following level -

Kurtis Byrne - Dundalk
Damon Gray - Junior football
Ross Campbell - without a club for 2 years
Patrick Deane - apparently junior football

I dont know what you are trying to imply (that if they were brought into the team at 18/19 they would have been good enough??) but the fact they are all now at a fairly low level compared to the SPL Id say we havent exactly lost out by not bringing any of them through (especially as, up until this season, we have always had excellent strikers).

The players mentioned should have been given a chance. Well before they were released or sent out on loan, Who knows what could have been? Sean Welsh is a good example of someone slipping through the net before the whole Martin Scott incident he was a stand out in the u19s, Giving youth players a chance early on can help there development. We gave Ross Chisholm and Jay Shields there chances when we were short in there positions. Hopefully Cummings takes his chance!

PeterboroHibee
29-11-2013, 04:04 PM
The players mentioned should have been given a chance. Well before they were released or sent out on loan, Who knows what could have been? Sean Welsh is a good example of someone slipping through the net before the whole Martin Scott incident he was a stand out in the u19s, Giving youth players a chance early on can help there development. We gave Ross Chisholm and Jay Shields there chances when we were short in there positions. Hopefully Cummings takes his chance!

Why should they have been giving a chance? They may well have been performing at U20 level (or whatever it was) but its up to the management team to assess whether they would be capable of performing at first team level. Having seen Gray and Campbell a number of times they never stood out, and its no surprise they were let go.

Also, as I suggested, we have consistently had good strikers for a number of seasons up until this year, so it will be tougher to get a spot in the squad - as you say, often these young guys get there chance when there is a lack of options in the team, or they show themselves to be an exceptional talent. Id argue we havent had that over the last few years (but not including the current group of youngsters as I think there is potential there)...

Welsh is an example, but nearly all clubs will have guys who have gone on to do well elsewhere. Was he not nearly always injured when he was at Hibs (not including the Scott incident)?

EVENTUALLY
29-11-2013, 04:56 PM
He should do so soon. SS is class with more natural ability than any other player who will pull on the jersey on Saturday. Sammy needs to be patient and grab his chance when it comes.

Ronniekirk
29-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Agree bring him into squad and give him some game t but unless he is aneceptional talent like young Gault at Dundee United then the risk is he is he gets hyped up and can't live up to expectations But having gone on record elsewhere on these threads to say apart from Heff I don't see a regular goal scorer in our strikers then I can see. it's a catch 22 situation But it's clear we need something different and confident players not afraid to shoot when chances present is surely the least we can expect Moan the Hibs .:flag:

Ronniekirk
29-11-2013, 05:01 PM
He should do so soon. SS is class with more natural ability than any other player who will pull on the jersey on Saturday. Sammy needs to be patient and grab his chance when it comes.
He looked good pre season when he came on against Dumbarton seemed to lift whole team with runs at defenders and getting into good positions and had a few shots Can't say have seen enough of him since to comment further But he was given a three year deal when others were getting one year deals so some rated him at one point

Tyler Durden
29-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Having only seen his limited first team appearances, not sure what to make of him.

What position would you play him?

WeeCraigy
29-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Having only seen his limited first team appearances, not sure what to make of him.

What position would you play him?

Left mid, with Craig going more central

patch1875
29-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Should add a bit ***** up front.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm not even sure Cummings will get a strip tomorrow tbh.

We will have a travelling party of 18-20 but can only strip 16. He may be 1 of those to miss out.

I think TB may use the next few weeks to get him used to being in and around the 1st team squad on a regular basis.

Liams
29-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Byrne was on fire never got a chance with yogi

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Byrne was on fire never got a chance with yogi

Might have been coincidental but Byrne seemed to nosedive after that bit his old man did for The Sun saying that he was off to Celtc if he didn't get a look in.

gorgie greens
30-11-2013, 06:26 AM
if your good enough your old enough,our strikers have not exactly been setting the heather on fire so why not,hope he grabs his chance if and when it comes along,good luck

spike220
30-11-2013, 07:55 AM
if your good enough your old enough,our strikers have not exactly been setting the heather on fire so why not,hope he grabs his chance if and when it comes along,good luck :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I said on another thread that I liked the look of young Cummings when he came on against ICT. He didnt really do anything of note in that game ( who did ) but the way he moved and what looked to me like a desire to get involved were good signs. Sometimes you get a good feeling about a player the first time you see them. Cummings was in that bracket for me.

Been wrong before though :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-11-2013, 12:13 PM
NB-I agree. Was the same feeling when Harris came on for the first time. I see Handling starts again today, hopefully he gets something happening for us up top

cat1875
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
he has just tweeted @jasoncummings95 7-O'clock at exactly 7 pm got them biting 7-0 !!!!!

Nelly070
01-12-2013, 07:43 PM
he has just tweeted @jasoncummings95 7-O'clock at exactly 7 pm got them biting 7-0 !!!!!

His family are all Jambo's and he was brought up a jambo, hopefully he has now seen the light and converted to a Hibee !

cat1875
01-12-2013, 07:48 PM
His family are all Jambo's and he was brought up a jambo, hopefully he has now seen the light and converted to a Hibee !

mum ,uncle ,aunties and cousins all hibs fans can assure you !

Billy Whizz
01-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Thanks auntie cat

cat1875
01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks auntie cat

ha ha brilliant

Nelly070
01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Mum and dad Jambos, aunts, uncles and cousins Hibbys !

The_Horde
02-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Couple of his mates were on the same bus as me this morning. Not happy that Jason apparently now "acts like he's always been a hibby".

silverhibee
02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm not even sure Cummings will get a strip tomorrow tbh.

We will have a travelling party of 18-20 but can only strip 16. He may be 1 of those to miss out.

I think TB may use the next few weeks to get him used to being in and around the 1st team squad on a regular basis.

Spot on, all part of the learning curve for the young lad.