PDA

View Full Version : Five past Zoff

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2013, 08:39 AM
46 years ago today. Hibs 5 Naples 0. Bobby Duncan hit a screamer in the first minute from about 49 yards into top corner.
My first European game. Where does the time go.
We were 4-1 down on aggregate when we kicked off.
Unbelievable night

mim
29-11-2013, 08:59 AM
One of our greatest Euro nights. Second only to the Barca game.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Make folks of my (Miller) generation think - Where and why did Hibs lose the plot?

greenpaper55
29-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I think Napoli went on to win the league that year, how things have changed. If my memory is correct every Hibs player was scottish and it would seem to point the way for the future as regards bringing through your own talent from the youth level.

WindyMiller
29-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I remember climbing in, over the wall by the big gate, behind the North End.

Fabulous night!!!

:aok:

brian6-2
29-11-2013, 09:13 AM
one of the games i would loved to have been at. sadly way before my time.

my dad speaks very fondly of it as he was there, and he's a hun.

chinaman
29-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I think Napoli went on to win the league that year, how things have changed. If my memory is correct every Hibs player was scottish and it would seem to point the way for the future as regards bringing through your own talent from the youth level.
Napoli won serie A for the 1st time in the late 80s thanks mainly to a wee argentinian who went on to become the greatest ever player but I cant remember his name

brog
29-11-2013, 09:49 AM

10 Scots & John McMadsen!! 5 of the Scots were Hibs supporters! Bobby Duncan was guest of honour at London Hibs Burns Night a few years ago & by the end of the night he had picked up the ball in our box & shot from the half way line! Come to think of it - - -!

Napoli finished 2nd in 1967/68 season.

schinkenotto
29-11-2013, 10:44 AM
46 years ago today. Hibs 5 Naples 0. Bobby Duncan hit a screamer in the first minute from about 49 yards into top corner.
Unbelievable night

Still fresh in the memory.Press gave Hibs no hope,but P G Stanton and Co had other ideas!

timebomb
29-11-2013, 11:38 AM
10 Scots & John McMadsen!! 5 of the Scots were Hibs supporters! Bobby Duncan was guest of honour at London Hibs Burns Night a few years ago & by the end of the night he had picked up the ball in our box & shot from the half way line! Come to think of it - - -!

Napoli finished 2nd in 1967/68 season.

A great result for Hibs (and Scottish Football). Sadly I think those days are long over for Scottish football and can't see them coming back in my lifetime.

Alfred E Newman
29-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Unbelievable night

One of the highlights of my Hibs supporting career. A misty November night I will never forget.
Ps The Great Man heading no 5 past Zoff on my avatar!

mjh
29-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Great night for me as well - taken through from glasgow by my dad - he had tickets for the old main stand - first time we had ever been in the stand. He warned me that we had no chance of getting to the next round and I remember agreeing with him

The_Sauz
29-11-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/asportingnation/article/0043/print.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/sportscotland/asportingnation/article/0043/print.shtml)

Just shows how we as a footballing nation have seriously declined over years :brickwall

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-11-2013, 03:44 PM
This was on TV and after the game I rushed home to watch it again :agree: Bob Crampsey was the commentator from memory, now just where is that clip? It must be somewhere in the STV archives?

--------
29-11-2013, 03:53 PM
One of the highlights of my Hibs supporting career. A misty November night I will never forget.
Ps The Great Man heading no 5 past Zoff on my avatar!

Was his not #4? I seem to recall the scoring was Bobby Duncan early on, Pat Quinn just before half-time, Peter Cormack and then Pat Stanton from successive Alec Scott corners around the hour mark, and Colin Stein finishing things off nicely before one of them got sent off for spitting at John Madsen?

(But I could very well be wrong. I was in the depths of depression before the game, and totally hysterical for about a week afterwards.)

Team - Wilson; Duncan and Davis; Stanton, Madsen, McGraw; Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stevenson.

cmcd
29-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Was his not #4? I seem to recall the scoring was Bobby Duncan early on, Pat Quinn just before half-time, Peter Cormack and then Pat Stanton from successive Alec Scott corners around the hour mark, and Colin Stein finishing things off nicely before one of them got sent off for spitting at John Madsen?

(But I could very well be wrong. I was in the depths of depression before the game, and totally hysterical for about a week afterwards.)

Team - Wilson; Duncan and Davis; Stanton, Madsen, McGraw; Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stevenson.
Missed the game as was abroad at the time Did manage the Sporting Lisbon game That was also a fantastic night Lost my top set on the old east

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know if this game was on TV? I seem to remember seeing the goals again but might be wrong?

snooky
29-11-2013, 04:41 PM
One of our greatest Euro nights. Second only to the Barca game.

Aye , my favourite Euro night too - also the Sporting Lisbon game.
How the great have fallen :boo hoo:

brog
29-11-2013, 05:02 PM

You're spot on Doddie! Now, can you remember what you had for tea last night? :wink:

--------
29-11-2013, 07:03 PM
You're spot on Doddie! Now, can you remember what you had for tea last night? :wink:

Yup. But I'm not telling. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Napoli won serie A for the 1st time in the late 80s thanks mainly to a wee argentinian who went on to become the greatest ever player but I cant remember his name

Was it Jose Altafini?

Napoli won 4-1 in their home leg and thought they'd done enough to qualify so left Altafini at home for the second leg.

On a misty November evening, Hibs proved them wrong with a stunning display of football

Altafini returned to ER at a future date when he played for Juve. By that time I'm sure he was 35 or 36 or something but he tore us a new one almost single handedly.

Tom Hart RIP
29-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I remember laughing when Altifini came on as a sub against Juventus. We were 2-1 up and he was a wee fat baldy guy. Every time he got the ball he tore through our defence and soon we were 4-2 down. The previous week we lost 5-0 to Celtic then the the following game we lost 6-3 in the league cup final.

Jonnyboy
29-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I remember laughing when Altifini came on as a sub against Juventus. We were 2-1 up and he was a wee fat baldy guy. Every time he got the ball he tore through our defence and soon we were 4-2 down. The previous week we lost 5-0 to Celtic then the the following game we lost 6-3 in the league cup final.

Painful memories there but I have to say that Altafini is one of the best footballers it's been my privilege to watch at ER :agree:

thebakerboy
29-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Been out on the razzle the night before match and woke up in a bit of a daze (rest day) and said to my old man what a result last night 5 0 to the Hibees. He said what were you up to last night hope it was only booze 'cause the match is tonight. Well cannot remember what I was up to but only time I predicted the right score and that Bobby Duncan goal is still one of my all time favs.

Alfred E Newman
29-11-2013, 09:18 PM

You are right Doddie,slip of the pen. Not like me to get it wrong:greengrin.

Dalkeith Boy
29-11-2013, 10:37 PM
It was a phenomenal night indeed. Hibs started "uphill" and I was behind the goal directly in line with Bobby Duncan's laser shot. Will never forget how I felt that night. As others have mentioned it was a little misty. No one would have predicted that outcome, and we were all over them from start to finish. There was more excitement in that one game than Hibs gave us all last season!! I still have the programme. From the programme the teams were, Wilson, Duncan & Davis, Stanton, Madsen & McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack & Stevenson.
Naples: Zoff, Nardin, Girardo, Zurlini, Panzanato, Bianchi, Cane, Juliano, Orlando, Montefusco, Barison

The Scorers in order were: Duncan, Quinn, Cormack, Stanton & Stein