PDA

View Full Version : Hartley

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Please please please don't let this horrible little prick get the ICT job. Even with our record up there I have always enjoyed going and having good banter with their fans. Can't see me liking anyone who likes that little *******. Hope everything bad that can happen happens to them if they employ him

Hibercelona
28-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Wouldn't really bother me. I hated him as a player. But as a manager, I couldn't care less, as long as TB has us beating them.

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2013, 06:05 AM
I couldn't stand that big prick butcher when he was a player as well, what about you?

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately, I think that Hartley has something about him when it comes to being a manager. Wouldn't put me up nor down if he went on to be the real deal TBH. There is something appealing in the thought that in five seasons or so, he could be in the oppo dugout and Ian Murray could be in the home one.

Carheenlea
28-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Paul Hartley was a very good player for Hearts who despite putting us to the sword a few times, has never been one who had rubbed our noses in it or really disrespected us off the pitch.
As a player who was pretty high profile in Scotland, to take a managerial position and cut his teeth at the lower leagues when many of his peers expect to walk straight into high profile managerial gigs, he deserves some respect for that.

KeithTheHibby
28-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Paul Hartley was a very good player for Hearts who despite putting us to the sword a few times, has never been one who had rubbed our noses in it or really disrespected us off the pitch.
As a player who was pretty high profile in Scotland, to take a managerial position and cut his teeth at the lower leagues when many of his peers expect to walk straight into high profile managerial gigs, he deserves some respect for that.

This. At times I don't get why he is so despised by Hibs fans. We emptied him, he came back to haunt us big time. He never rubbed our noses in it.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Time to move on and focus energies on Hibs.

heretoday
28-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Hartley played some good stuff for Hibs. I recall one cracker of a goal against Dunf. He became a focus of hatred between us and Hearts and had to endure the most pathetic and offensive terracing song ever sung by Hibs fans.

JimBHibees
28-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Wouldn't really bother me. I hated him as a player. But as a manager, I couldn't care less, as long as TB has us beating them.

This. Couldnt care less who they choose.

patch1875
28-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Was it Hartley that was booked when he was a sub for picking the ball up when it wasn't out of play?

jacomo
28-11-2013, 11:04 AM

:agree:

This. At times I don't get why he is so despised by Hibs fans. We emptied him, he came back to haunt us big time. He never rubbed our noses in it.

:agree::agree:

He loved beating us on the pitch but you can understand why from his position. A good player who made the most of his career and now seems to be grafting hard to make it as a manager.

He also saw Vlad for what he was and was one of the 'Riccarton Three' who tried to warn the Yams about what was happening inside the club. I'd have been very happy if any of those players had given their best in a Hibs shirt. :duck:

Hibiza
28-11-2013, 11:28 AM
who gives a monkeys.

yeezus.
28-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I really can't stand the guy but he has done a great job with Alloa. Went to a couple of Stranraer Alloa games and Hartley is really passionate and has taken the team from Division 3 to the 1st division. Wouldn't be a bad appointment for ICT IMO.

shagpile
28-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I really can't stand the guy but he has done a great job with Alloa. Went to a couple of Stranraer Alloa games and Hartley is really passionate and has taken the team from Division 3 to the 1st division. Wouldn't be a bad appointment for ICT IMO.

He would have been a decent appointment for Hibs too. A young manager with new ideas & a hunger for the game.

yeezus.
28-11-2013, 11:56 AM
He would have been a decent appointment for Hibs too. A young manager with new ideas & a hunger for the game.

I couldn't face him as Hibs manager. I remember him taunting us when he scored for Aberdeen at Pittodrie... we lost 4-2 that game :rolleyes:

Craig_in_Prague
28-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Prefer an experienced manager that has done a fantastic job in the top league already and has a massive hunger and desire to do well for himself and Hibs, clearly has all the ideas and techniques in working with players and building a positive mindset.

Peevemor
28-11-2013, 12:04 PM

I don't have a problem with Hartley, but he wouldn't have been a good appointment at this time - a large part of our support wouldn't have cut him any slack at all.

allezsauzee
28-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Let's be honest his main crime was being good against Hibs. Given the amount of abuse he took from us, he was bound to enjoy any victories against Hibs and he never resorted to the petty and disrespectful antics of the likes of Skacel. He seems to have done a very good job at Alloa so he deserves a crack at managing at a higher level.

.Sean.
28-11-2013, 12:48 PM
To be honest compared to some of the other pieces of ***** employed by Hearts in recent years, he's tolerable. Was more than happy for a bit of banter with fans etc and I can't recall him ever bad mouthing Hibs to any great extent, he's night and day in comparison to a **** like Skacel for instance. I believe he was also very, very close to signing for Hibs before signing for Aberdeen.

Phil MaGlass
28-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Let's be honest his main crime was being good against Hibs. Given the amount of abuse he took from us, he was bound to enjoy any victories against Hibs and he never resorted to the petty and disrespectful antics of the likes of Skacel. He seems to have done a very good job at Alloa so he deserves a crack at managing at a higher level.

This.:agree:

Onceinawhile
28-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Was it Hartley that was booked when he was a sub for picking the ball up when it wasn't out of play?

He didn't pick it up, he walked onto the pitch and kicked it back to the keeper.

But yes, more or less.

Zorro
28-11-2013, 01:08 PM
No problem at all with Hartley for me. Hated him when he played for Hearts, liked him when he played for us and wish he'd stayed. Interesting to see how he gets on if he gets that job.

patch1875
28-11-2013, 02:43 PM
He didn't pick it up, he walked onto the pitch and kicked it back to the keeper.

But yes, more or less.

Cheers dunno why that sticks in my mind.

Heisenberg
28-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I really hope he gets the job. I backed him at 20/1 :greengrin

silverhibee
28-11-2013, 03:59 PM
who gives a monkeys.

The Wasps. :greengrin

paul_hfc3
28-11-2013, 04:02 PM

Na no way!! I would be rajing/spewing

Pretty Boy
28-11-2013, 05:25 PM
'Hated' him when he played for Hearts. Indifferent to him now.

Was a good player and looks like he could well be a good manager.

hfc rd
28-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Couldn't care less who they choose. Whether it's Tony Mowbray, Sir Alex Ferguson to Paul Hartley & John Robertson. As long as Butcher & Malpas have us beating them for a change.

Flanny boy
28-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Couldn't care less who they choose. Whether it's Tony Mowbray, Sir Alex Ferguson to Paul Hartley & John Robertson. As long as Butcher & Malpas have us beating them for a change.
100 per cent correct mate :aok:

Eyrie
28-11-2013, 07:54 PM

It wasn't just that he played well against us, it's that he was a poor signing when he played for us that made it worse.

ballengeich
28-11-2013, 08:44 PM
It wasn't just that he played well against us, it's that he was a poor signing when he played for us that made it worse.

That wasn't really his fault. His career took off when he was converted from a winger to a midfielder at St Johnstone, his next club. That's what allowed his potential to be realised.

I agree with earlier posters who've stated that he never said anything particularly bad against us. I don't particularly mind the guy.

Mark79
28-11-2013, 08:46 PM
He loved scoring against us and for that fact I despise him. Its my duty as a hibs fan.

Aside I do remember him bringing a crossfield ball down on the touchline of main stand near away stand against raith on new years day I think. We won 5-0 if I remember correctly.

thought we had a player then but sadly we played him as a winger before folk realised he was a central mid.

Jonnyboy
28-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Think you've answered your own question there Keith :wink:

Ronniekirk
28-11-2013, 09:26 PM
100 per cent correct mate :aok:
Agree Bread today Jam tomorrow

Tricla
29-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I hope he does well. Good player in his day who gave 100% and didn't mind the banter or undue abuse. If only there were more like him.

The Sea-gull
29-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Not sure how good a player Hartley was to be honest. Aside from a couple of very good seasons at Hearts , it is not like he set the heather alight throughout his career.

He obviously showed potential as a youngster as he went down to Millwall but never cut it. Then for us he came as a winger and never really cut it either.

Don't really remember much about him from his time at Saints but that seems to be regarded as the time he reinvented himself as a central midfielder.

He had a slow start at Hearts for his first season but then to be fair he did have two seasons, one in particular, where he was possibly the best midfielder in the league. Think he was ok at Celtic but nothing special and then Bristol and Aberdeen weren't particularly successful times as injury caught up.

He seems to be doing well as a manager in the lower leagues though not sure if I would want him just yet if I was an Inverness fan.

jacomo
29-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Not sure how good a player Hartley was to be honest. Aside from a couple of very good seasons at Hearts , it is not like he set the heather alight throughout his career.

He obviously showed potential as a youngster as he went down to Millwall but never cut it. Then for us he came as a winger and never really cut it either.

Don't really remember much about him from his time at Saints but that seems to be regarded as the time he reinvented himself as a central midfielder.

He had a slow start at Hearts for his first season but then to be fair he did have two seasons, one in particular, where he was possibly the best midfielder in the league. Think he was ok at Celtic but nothing special and then Bristol and Aberdeen weren't particularly successful times as injury caught up.

He seems to be doing well as a manager in the lower leagues though not sure if I would want him just yet if I was an Inverness fan.

Developed late but worked at it and achieved more in the game than most players. No one claims he was world class but a pretty good career. Also quite a lucrative few years at Hearts and Celtc I would guess.

Dashing Bob S
29-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Always liked Paul as a player. He never really shone at ER, but benefited from being switched from the wing into the thick of things at the PBS. He worked very hard at his game and became a top player. He always performed well against us, and I think that was a product of him having something to prove after his bad spell here, and some of the vile stick he endured. He became a poster boy for Hibs-Hearts hatred in much the same way the likes of Steven Pressley, Derek Riordan and Leigh Griffiths have. All had a common factor: they were good, effective players whom the opposition feared.