PDA

View Full Version : Match fixing

CallumLaidlaw
27-11-2013, 10:20 PM
3 footballers arrested due to match fixing allegations

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10479667/Football-match-fixing-six-arrested-by-police-investigating-betting-syndicate-as-rigging-hits-British-game.html

weecounty hibby
27-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Only a matter of time. Football is the most corrupt sport in the world. From FIFA to SFA from portsmouth to hearts from john mcdonald to ashley young. Crooks, conmen, thieves, liars, cheats at all levels of the game. It has been getting worse for years and years with little or no self regulation. Whether it is player salaries or backhanders for world cups the money aspect of football is out of control and the fixing matches is surely no surprise to most of us

Thecat23
27-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Boxing is still miles ahead when it comes to fixing. So corrupt now it's not even funny.

Gus Fring
27-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Can't help but wonder if it goes on up here as we'll but goes unnoticed because we're not a big league?Look at Ian Black, nobody knew about that.

I've heard rumblings in the past through work about rogue match fixers, nothing ever comes of it though. It's always "We've got evidence such and such is fixing matches" but if you don't have it 100% spot on you run the risk of killing the game based on circumstantial evidence, so it never gets published. I'd say in the last few years I've heard maybe 6-8 names in the SPL.

HH81
28-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Heard all games are in non league in England..

I just thought the refs were poor.

I'm_cabbaged
28-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Sergey!! :)

Coco Bryce
28-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Boxing is still miles ahead when it comes to fixing. So corrupt now it's not even funny.

:agree:

Cant believe people still actually fork out money to watch fights on TV nowadays.

Last saturdays fight was a prime example. :greengrin

Killiehibbie
28-11-2013, 10:32 AM
He claimed to be connected to Wilson Raj Perumal, who has been convicted of rigging football matches abroad. “Wilson Raj Perumal … he’s the king … he’s my boss. Everybody in the world know him,” the fixer said.

Could just be a conman trying to cash in on this Rajy Gadgey.

Gatecrasher
28-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Football is ****ed imo, too much money involved for it not to be corrupt.

--------
28-11-2013, 12:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25132538

I hope this is an NHC thread. Maybe Craig T should be hiring a lawyer?

jgl07
28-11-2013, 12:52 PM
The article doesn't give much away. The news report on TV mentioned that it did not involve professional clubs. It is most likely in the Sunderland and District Fireman's Sunday League?

Sounds like corruption in low places!

By comparison, in the 1960s there was real corruption. Three top division players from Sheffield Wednesday: David 'Bronco' Layne, Peter Swan, and Tony Kay were jailed an banned from football. Kay had moved on to Everton (for a British record transfer fee) and won a championship medal and was a serious contender for the England squad for the 1966 World Cup as was Swan.

Posh Swanny
28-11-2013, 01:28 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25132538

I hope this is an NHC thread. Maybe Craig T should be hiring a lawyer?

Nah. If you're wondering about the 2012 final - it says that players often deliberately take a yellow card in the first few minutes of a game to let syndicates know the fix is on, but no one was booked so early in that game...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HH81
28-11-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/former-huddersfield-town-player-delroy-6349552

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Isn't there something about white sox and black sox and dodgy dealings?

yup ...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

CyberSauzee
28-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Can't help but wonder if it goes on up here as we'll but goes unnoticed because we're not a big league?Look at Ian Black, nobody knew about that.

I've heard rumblings in the past through work about rogue match fixers, nothing ever comes of it though. It's always "We've got evidence such and such is fixing matches" but if you don't have it 100% spot on you run the risk of killing the game based on circumstantial evidence, so it never gets published. I'd say in the last few years I've heard maybe 6-8 names in the SPL.

Ian Black was betting on his own team to lose at times, but difficult to prove that was match fixing.

Gordon Parks was the lower league player that spoke about match fixing openly at the same time. Google him and you'll see heresay he's provided. I would doubt the SFA will talk to him though.

Heard all games are in non league in England..

I just thought the refs were poor.

Some refs are bad, but that's the case everywhere...

Sportradar are a firm that investigate suspicious betting patterns across Europe, and they'll flag up several hundred per year.

However, I read that to indicate the matches in this case were fixed a player would get an early yellow. This to me suggests in running, which may be harder to prove. I'm guessing it's perhaps the Conference, as they have live matches screening on BT or Premier sports these days IIRC.

Eyrie
28-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Nah. If you're wondering about the 2012 final - it says that players often deliberately take a yellow card in the first few minutes of a game to let syndicates know the fix is on, but no one was booked so early in that game...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The decision not to book Black for assaulting Griffiths is why we know that the players weren't involved in fixing that game.

Mark79
28-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Surely no benefit in fixing matches that low down the leagues? Wont be mainstream bookies offering odds I assume and if its smaller ones then would they take the amounts of money as bets to make it worthwhile?

Posh Swanny
29-11-2013, 10:32 AM
The decision not to book Black for assaulting Griffiths is why we know that the players weren't involved in fixing that game.

Or Craigy T cost Ian Black an awful lot of money!

“So I say OK, who is going to take the yellow? And someone will say. So I say OK: in the first 10 minutes I need to see the yellow. If that yellow don’t see, I will not pay you anything,” the fixer explained in imperfect English.

Killiehibbie
29-11-2013, 10:35 AM

“So I say OK, who is going to take the yellow? And someone will say. So I say OK: in the first 10 minutes I need to see the yellow. If that yellow don’t see, I will not pay you anything,” the fixer explained in imperfect English.That was just a calculated risk by Black that he would get away with it so early in the game.

Posh Swanny
29-11-2013, 11:42 AM
That was just a calculated risk by Black that he would get away with it so early in the game.

Where's the fun in thinking that?! :greengrin

Killiehibbie
29-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Where's the fun in thinking that?! :greengrinEither that or Black had backed an early booking and that cheating **** wearing black cost him a right few quid!

Eyrie
29-11-2013, 12:48 PM

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

CyberSauzee
29-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Surely no benefit in fixing matches that low down the leagues? Wont be mainstream bookies offering odds I assume and if its smaller ones then would they take the amounts of money as bets to make it worthwhile?

A lot of the fixing goes on by 'buying' enough footballers in a team to affect the result. This is mainly done by far eastern syndicates betting where gambling is both legal and illegal.

Whereas we hardly see much money on, for example, a live conference game, the amount wagered in the far east will be still be huge. British football has a Corinthian reputation of being unlikely to be corruptible; the reality is that for the amount of money the players are on, a 4 or even 5 figure pay off will be highly tempting to a lot of them.

Looking at the reported dialogue of what was said, the fixer is asking for 5 goals, or even 4. That to me indicates betting on the Asian markets, possibly on heavy favourites who would be expected to win by a couple of goals at least. The losing team would be expected to lose, and if they lose, say by 5 or 6, then no-one is likely to raise any suspicions.