PDA

View Full Version : Long sleeves!...

Moon unit
27-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Currently on Talksport debate about Arsenals decision to punish Flamini because he wore a short sleeved shirt. The Gunners have decided to go with tradition and asked players to wear long sleeves.
What are your thoughts?..personally I would like to see a hibs team wearing long sleeves - ala Heffernan!

Onceinawhile
27-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Currently on Talksport debate about Arsenals decision to punish Flamini because he wore a short sleeved shirt. The Gunners have decided to go with tradition and asked players to wear long sleeves.
What are your thoughts?..personally I would like to see a hibs team wearing long sleeves - ala Heffernan!

The arsenal problem, is that you must wear the same sleeves as the captain. Utter nonsense imo.

lapsedhibee
27-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Was it more that he disrespected the shirt by cutting the sleeves off, rather than just rolling them up like Giroud did?

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Was it more that he disrespected the shirt by cutting the sleeves off, rather than just rolling them up like Giroud did?

This is obviously wrong - whoever heard of a Frenchman* rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck in?

*I really like Giroud, and France as a whole.

Killiehibbie
27-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Long sleeves used to useful for wiping your nose but modern fabrics have made them redundant.

clerriehibs
27-11-2013, 06:20 PM
This is obviously wrong - whoever heard of a Frenchman* rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck in?

That william the conqueror found the Brits to be a stroll in the park, right enough. Never broke any sweat.

Moon unit
27-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Listening to the debate more,seems that you are correct!....still like the Long sleeves though!

Hibrandenburg
27-11-2013, 06:47 PM
That william the conqueror found the Brits to be a stroll in the park, right enough. Never broke any sweat.

Pedant alert! He was a Norman.

snooky
27-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Ahhhh ... the Knight Of The Long Sleeves says hang 'im.

Glory Lurker
27-11-2013, 08:40 PM
But sleeves weren't an issue for old Billy the Conqueror when it came to the rammy at Hastings, 'cause he'd already put La Manche behind him to get there :nerd:

In reply to the OP, I don't care how long our sleeves are so long as we're winning games! That said, I don't think I'd be happy with them wearing the likes of that Cameroon sleeveless effort from a few years back.

Heedersnvolleys
27-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Long sleeves used to useful for wiping your nose but modern fabrics have made them redundant.

Is that why we don't have green sleeves? :wink:

PeterboroHibee
27-11-2013, 09:17 PM
The arsenal problem, is that you must wear the same sleeves as the captain. Utter nonsense imo.

Its all very weird. Im not sure why sleeve length would be a 'tradition', and I really dont see why he is in bother for it (unless its purely because he is wrecking the tops)? It seems Wenger (or whoever it is) is making far too much of this.

lapsedhibee
27-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Its all very weird. Im not sure why sleeve length would be a 'tradition', and I really dont see why he is in bother for it (unless its purely because he is wrecking the tops)? It seems Wenger (or whoever it is) is making far too much of this.

Don't think traditions necessarily have good reasons behind them. (It's not the length that's the tradition, it's following the captain's wishes about the length that's the tradition.)

Wenger is very keen on players respecting the 'values' of the club, which I suppose sequeways quite easily into 'traditions'. Apparently the Big Friendly German, Mertesacker, collects fines from players who commit minor transgressions.

The Tornadoes had a dress code, according to Crops.

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Don't think traditions necessarily have good reasons behind them. It's not the length that's the tradition, it's following the captain's wishes about it that's the tradition.

Wenger is very keen on players respecting the 'values' of the club, which I suppose sequeways quite easily into 'traditions'. Apparently the Big Friendly German, Mertesacker, collects fines from players who commit minor transgressions.

I'm not one for pushing tradition above all else, but come on to f***, surely you mean 'segues'?

lapsedhibee
27-11-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not one for pushing tradition above all else, but come on to f***, surely you mean 'segues'?

Segues would be fine, but just to annoy Falkirk Hibee on the Pet Peeves thread I thought I'd put part of the word segues together with part of another word sideways. I'm a devoted neologisticist.

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Segues would be fine, but just to annoy Falkirk Hibee on the Pet Peeves thread I thought I'd put part of the word segues together with part of another word sideways. I'm a devoted neologisticist.

If it annoys FalkirkHibee then I am happy to throw my theoretical cyber-weight behind it.

I'm glad to hear of your commitment to neologisms; a cunning linguist like you may prove invaluable.

Pete
28-11-2013, 12:00 AM
What a load of utter nonsense.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 02:00 AM
Thank God we got a new captain. Imagine the mess we would be in if everyone had to copy McPake.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2013, 07:03 AM
What a load of utter nonsense.

Not really sure that the principle of doing what the captain decides is utter nonsense. How would the alternative principle of do whatthe****ever you want if it makes you more comfortable work on, say, a battleship? :dunno:

(Bit of tmesis in there for nonshinyfish.)

H18sry
28-11-2013, 07:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ItNxpwChE :aok:

Hexham Hibee
28-11-2013, 08:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken we wore green sleeves when we played Juventus at ER in early 1970's. All long sleeves!

GraniteCityHibs
28-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Pedant alert! He was a Norman.

What, Norman the Conqueror??

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Nothing wrong with Wenger being disappointed, its an Arsenal tradition and Flamini knew this I would imagine.

PeterboroHibee
28-11-2013, 09:57 AM
It seems a bit of a daft tradition, but if it has been respected and honoured for so long then I suppose you can understand people being miffed about a player refusing to take part, almost disrespectful. I'm trying to think of an equivalent - maybe a Celtic player not wanting to join in the huddle? Can imagine there would be outrage at that.

Surely theres a point behind that though (even though a lot of people do think its daft), whether it be the captain trying to give the others a last minute bit of inspiration or whatever.

Sudds_1
28-11-2013, 10:02 AM

we used to have green stripes.........................:rolleyes::sick:

Hibernia Na Eir
28-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Sauzee did :greengrin

lapsedhibee
28-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Cut down to size! Flamini agrees to respect Arsenal tradition and stop slashing his shirt sleeves

Arsenal believe Mathieu Flamini will abide by the club’s shirt-sleeve rule in future after Tuesday night’s furore.

The combative midfielder found himself at the centre of controversy for cutting the sleeves off his jersey — and in doing so flouted a directive Arsenal players have respected since the 1920s.

The match-day captain chooses the length of sleeves to be worn but Flamini rebelled before the Champions League game against Marseille game.

He had done the same in his previous game, the 1-0 defeat by Manchester United earlier this month, a decision that sparked a confrontation between Flamini and kit manager Vic Akers.

Speaking after the 2-0 win over Marseille, manager Arsène Wenger claimed Flamini would not be allowed to take scissors to his shirt again, but the former AC Milan man was defiant. He said: ‘I’ve been playing at the top level for 10 years and I like to wear short sleeves.’

Sportsmail understands the majority of the Arsenal squad back Wenger’s stance. Arsenal consider Flamini’s sleeve-cutting to be an oversight rather than a challenge to the club. And there is a belief the issue has been resolved after the rule was explained to Flamini.

One solution could be for Flamini to roll up his sleeves, something team-mates including Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud have done in the past. In fact, former Arsenal player Brian Talbot sought permission from the board to roll up his sleeves in the Eighties, such was his desire to toe the line.

The sleeve edict was defended by former Arsenal and England right back Lee Dixon yesterday. ‘I liked to wear short sleeves too,’ he said. ‘But I wore the same as the captain. Club tradition must remain at all costs. Rodders (Tony Adams) used to ask the players to vote. If it was long then I rolled them up.’

The Remembrance Day poppy shirts worn for the defeat at Old Trafford are being auctioned online to raise money for the Royal British Legion. The bidding for Flamini’s shirt had reached £2,000 last night.

The north London club have other long-established rules. For example, flowers in the opposition’s colours are displayed in the directors’ box on match days. Such is the attention to detail that when Newcastle visit, petals are coloured in black to represent the Tyne- siders’ famous strip.

Did the yams auction off their poppy shirts to raise money for the British Legion (and then bump them, obviously)?

allezsauzee
28-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Flamini has played for Arsenal more than 100 times. How has he not worked this all out yet?

Jim44
28-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Not really sure that the principle of doing what the captain decides is utter nonsense. How would the alternative principle of do whatthe****ever you want if it makes you more comfortable work on, say, a battleship? :dunno:

Off topic for a second, but I used to somehow read the name as 'nonshinyfish' like you. But on closer inspection, I noticed it says 'nonshinyfinish'. .......... I wonder if his real name is Matt? :-)

Golden Bear
28-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Off topic for a second, but I used to somehow read the name as 'nonshinyfish' like you. But on closer inspection, I noticed it says 'nonshinyfinish'. .......... I wonder if his real name is Matt? :-)

I think that one's fallen a bit flat Jim.

:wink:

Jim44
28-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I think that one's fallen a bit flat Jim.

:wink:

I'm overcome with emulsion. :-)

hibbeedavid
28-11-2013, 05:29 PM
This is the first season since about 2008 that's we've even issued proper long sleeved tops to players!

On Flamini, stupid tradition or not I think by cutting off the sleeves it's disrespectful to the club and as another poster stated if a Celtic player was to refuse to join their huddle you could imagine the outrage. It's the case of a player thinking he's bigger than the club with his 'I've been a footballer for 10 years, and I like to play in short sleeves' quote, surely just rolling up sleeves should be sufficient if he doesn't like his lower arms covered!

Personally I'm a fan of proper long sleeved shirts, immortalised by the big baggy long sleeved of the likes of Mickey Weir and Russell Latapy and glad we've started to re-issue them again

snooky
28-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm overcome with emulsion. :-)
I'll get yer coat! :-)

patch1875
28-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I'll get yer coat! :-)

Keep a lid on it...

Ronniekirk
28-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Flamini has played for Arsenal more than 100 times. How has he not worked this all out yet?
Coz he is more interested in money than club tradition or history

Heedersnvolleys
28-11-2013, 10:47 PM
we used to have green stripes.........................:rolleyes::sick:

I thought I read somewhere that the reason behind us having white sleeves is roughly the same reasons as why arsenal have white sleeves. Or am I slavering??? Is there even a reason why we have white sleeves?

Eyrie
29-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the reason behind us having white sleeves is roughly the same reasons as why arsenal have white sleeves. Or am I slavering??? Is there even a reason why we have white sleeves?
We copied the idea from Arsenal, who adopted the white sleeves in the 1930s because it made their shirts more visible.

Pete
29-11-2013, 03:26 AM

I was going to reply with a post about some traditions being outdated but thinking about it, I actually like the way Arsenal operate. It's good to know that there are some clubs who still hold onto traditions even though cash dictates most of what happens in the modern game.

As for the player, it is simply an issue of comfort. He obviously knows the tradition or he would have asked for short sleeves and if he found it comfortable to roll up his sleeves with a long sleeved shirt then he would have done so.

Coincidentally, I own several Nike player issue shirts (Celtic...don't ask) and they are remarkably different from the ones the general public get their hands on. They are almost disposable, skin tight garments with the comfort of the athlete in mind and nothing else. Stitching is replaced with heat bonding on a lot of seams to reduce chafing but it reduces the elasticity. In my opinion these garments are meant to be worn the way they were manufactured to be and any modifications, like rolling up of sleeves could cause some discomfort. Have a look at the arsenal pre-match photos and see the sleeves toiling to pass the forearms on some players.

However, I'm fairly confident that Nike, Arsenal, the player and his representative have enough money and resources to manufacture a solution.:greengrin

jamieross
29-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I was going to reply with a post about some traditions being outdated but thinking about it, I actually like the way Arsenal operate. It's good to know that there are some clubs who still hold onto traditions even though cash dictates most of what happens in the modern game.

As for the player, it is simply an issue of comfort. He obviously knows the tradition or he would have asked for short sleeves and if he found it comfortable to roll up his sleeves with a long sleeved shirt then he would have done so.

Coincidentally, I own several Nike player issue shirts (Celtic...don't ask) and they are remarkably different from the ones the general public get their hands on. They are almost disposable, skin tight garments with the comfort of the athlete in mind and nothing else. Stitching is replaced with heat bonding on a lot of seams to reduce chafing but it reduces the elasticity. In my opinion these garments are meant to be worn the way they were manufactured to be and any modifications, like rolling up of sleeves could cause some discomfort. Have a look at the arsenal pre-match photos and see the sleeves toiling to pass the forearms on some players.

However, I'm fairly confident that Nike, Arsenal, the player and his representative have enough money and resources to manufacture a solution.:greengrin

Ive got a player issue version of the current arsenal shirt I wear to 5s and I wear the sleeves rolled up all the time. Think Flamini's just being a soft touch. :cb

Also, Wenger was in the press yesterday saying they'd come to an agreement with Flamini.