PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Amazon?

KingFranck
26-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Just watched panorama on catch up and feel I had to ask my fellow Hibees I know we can all get items a couple of quid cheaper from Amazon but at what cost to the workers? Watch the programme on iPlayer and make your mind up.
I for one will be shopping elsewhere for sure

TheReg!
26-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Just watched panorama on catch up and feel I had to ask my fellow Hibees I know we can all get items a couple of quid cheaper from Amazon but at what cost to the workers? Watch the programme on iPlayer and make your mind up.
I for one will be shopping elsewhere for sure

Its no different to many jobs tbh, it's hard graft but the way I see it is IF you want to work in such an environment then that's your own choice, I'm sure many people would still do the job under the current set up.

KingFranck
26-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Can anyone confirm if Play.com is the same?
Not denying jobs shouldn't be hard but the targets set by management there are a joke mate

Mr White
26-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Targets and points system for lateness and absences seemed a bit harsh but overall I was surprised they made the program tbh. Ironic that at least 2 of the large amazon warehouses are located in ex mining regions and folk are complaining about the conditions. I couldn't help but think of labourers I've seen on sites grafting a lot harder than the amazon employees shown last night for a similar wage. Their tax affairs seem far more questionable than the treatment of their staff to me but even that won't stop me using Amazon.

Pretty Boy
26-11-2013, 07:49 PM
The job itself looked pretty tough but i've definitely witnessed, and been a 'victim' of far worse conditions.

For me a far bigger issue is the current minimum wage, £6.31 is a joke imo. There is evidence that the living wage is roughly a pound more than this. Obviously some small businesses could well be put in a tough spot but with relevant tax breaks a living wage could be implemented. Don't even get me started on companies asking staff to waive their rights to rest between shifts and breaks. This may well be a necessity in some jobs but it's being increasingly used, and abused in areas such as retail and hospitality.